IGNORED

VILLA

Dolman Block B

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Undoubtedly agree with 2 and the entitlement thing.

I really hope you're wrong on 1 however...too big in what sense? Prestige? Rich owners? Media allies? These rules were agreed on by all clubs, voted for- if they take the piss, I'd put it to a vote of all 72 clubs to sling em out the Football League. Forest too, to an extent.

@formerly known as ivan

Adidas would therefore be a related third party so market rate/fair value only and the rest disallowed/deducted from the calculations.

@Dolman Block B We actually can afford it to be fair, in FFP terms we're in a pretty good place so a season loan for Tammy wouldn't be financially impossible.

It matters not that clubs voted for FFP, unscrupulous ones will defy it when it suits their ends.

Bruce, like Redknapp, is a darling of the tabloid media because he gives them good copy. That will certainly be a help if and when Villa launch a campaign to undermine the EFL's position.

I would also expect them to take legal action to try at least to tie the EFL up for as long as possible. The EFL will then do a wholly inadequate deal and claim it as a triumph, because they need the likes of Villa for marketing purposes.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It matters not that clubs voted for FFP, unscrupulous ones will defy it when it suits their ends.

Bruce, like Redknapp, is a darling of the tabloid media because he gives them good copy. That will certainly be a help if and when Villa launch a campaign to undermine the EFL's position.

I would also expect them to take legal action to try at least to tie the EFL up for as long as possible. The EFL will then do a wholly inadequate deal and claim it as a triumph, because they need the likes of Villa for marketing purposes.

I'm aware that unscrupulous ones will defy it as and when it suits. What I'm suggesting is that the rest of the EFL by which I mean the clubs, should democratically perhaps elect to kick out those such as Villa, and to an extent Forest, who are taking the piss. It's the nuclear option but why not- you try and overturn it legally, you leave the Football League. You lose your golden share kinda thing- expulsion.

Certainly would be of use, but again rules are rules- even if that's an idealistic POV.

Like I say- legal action? Bye bye. EFL should already be making contingency plans for this IMO, if they haven't already. Surely legal action might fall down if the other 70, 71 clubs took a united position and refused to have them as a member of the League in the circs?

However yeah, disappointingly, the marketing purposes thing sounds the most viable and likely answer...would settle for a punishment as set out to remove playoffs or automatic promotion however.

How the hell can Aston Villa be the best option out there for Tammy to go to this season..?! 

Surely one of the newly promoted Prem clubs would snap him up..?! 

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wonder if they may be looking to loan Albert out :ph34r: Albert and Eliasson on the wings...

Image result for randy marsh

That would be amazing..!*

* until the other team had the ball..! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How the hell can Aston Villa be the best option out there for Tammy to go to this season..?! 

Surely one of the newly promoted Prem clubs would snap him up..?! 

That would be amazing..!*

* until the other team had the ball..! 

The article I read suggested that Chelsea feel he would benefit by going to a top championship club to get guaranteed game time and (probably) score a lot. Wolves he would have competition upfront, Fulham have signed Mitrovic and Cardiff wouldn't suit him at all. Brighton was a decent shout but seemingly nothing.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

The article I read suggested that Chelsea feel he would benefit by going to a top championship club to get guaranteed game time and (probably) score a lot. Wolves he would have competition upfront, Fulham have signed Mitrovic and Cardiff wouldn't suit him at all. Brighton was a decent shout but seemingly nothing.

Plus Fulham signed Vietto on loan too- that's 2 quite well regarded strikers he would have to jump past.

They would be in an even worse position next summer if they don’t go up. The only assets they have left would be Grealish (going into last year of his contract I believe) the rest are old or on loan. 

A very big risk that hasn’t paid off the last 2 seasons. Here’s to another and year of struggle next season. 

Are Villa just trying to buy a team of ex-City players to emulate our glorious past?

If Bruce had his way you'd have Tammy and Kodjia up front with Adomah and Bolasie on each wing. Villa also wanted Bryan.

Fully expecting the next announcement to be "Aston Villa are delighted to announce the loan signing of Richard O'Donnell"

Gotta catch 'em all!

When you see what Villa are doing you can understand why people say SL should just splash the cash. What a farce they are making of the football league. It is a joke and even if Bolasie and tammy do not happen, getting El Ghazi, Nyland and Moreira is a joke. There is not a team I dislike more

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

When you see what Villa are doing you can understand why people say SL should just splash the cash. What a farce they are making of the football league. It is a joke and even if Bolasie and tammy do not happen, getting El Ghazi, Nyland and Moreira is a joke. There is not a team I dislike more

Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR have all cheated over the last few years, and all three got away with it.

Villa know the EFL haven’t got the balls to punish them, cheats do prosper.

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Leicester, Bournemouth and QPR have all cheated over the last few years, and all three got away with it.

Would sort of dispute QPR having got away with it.

Leicester and Bournemouth did because they got promotion under the old rules and the Premier League won't help the Football League enforce sanctions properly.

Villa and Forest but particularly Villa...this is a watershed moment for the EFL.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@JoeAman08

QPR?

Apparently signing Wells and Hemed on loan despite getting the biggest sporting fine ever when totalled up for breaching FFP.

Take the point though, it's making a mockery.

I am not 100% sure of the whole situation around QPR but they have clearly rebuilt their squad since they were relegated. For me they are at least trying to right the situation by letting players go, selling players and bringing in cheap deals. As for these loans they may have a limit to what they can pay but they have lowered their wage bill and possibly with the fine they were granted a certain amount of loans for a set amount. 

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Then maybe SL should jump on board before a points deduction sticks to a team. That said, we’d be the ones an example was made of. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gonna also add, see QPR have loaned Tomer Hemed from Brighton. Decent wage, no?

Also Rangel on a free after release by Swansea...puzzled as to how they are going to comply with FFP. Hope they go down.

Nakhi Wells too- ****?? 

Embargo- what embargo!

Much like Birmingham, who were under embargo for 5 minutes until the EFL caved in despite no discernible change in their circumstances.

It's not the system, it's the inadequate application of it.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Much like Birmingham, who were under embargo for 5 minutes until the EFL caved in despite no discernible change in their circumstances.

It's not the system, it's the inadequate application of it.

Correct- this. To inadequate I would also add inconsistent.

It seems terribly piecemeal. Again with Birmingham tbf to them they have frozen out 5 or 6 players they want rid of, no squad number- making an effort at least because they want the higher earners off the books. Ironically they have loaned out Grounds...to Bolton. Didn't know they could spend again. :dunno:The loans are tied to strict conditions too. Villa though are a totally different kettle of fish in how blatant and flagrant they are being.

@BS4 on Tour... He would be on relatively low wages IMO. Younger/fringe players overseas often can be even at big clubs. It's just our transfer market is badly distorted in some ways.

Anyway QPR's pain is to come- next season post parachute payments finally ending, their income will halve. :laughcont:

@EmissionImpossible The big test will come in the Spring...Villa's accounts for last season (Forest's too) will be known, and their projected accounts will be submitted to the EFL as per the regs.

What the EFL do, provided there are big breaches will set a precedent under this set of rules I think- big test. Watershed moment.

The big difference now , compared to the QPR, Leicester and Bournemouth situations, is that the ffp assessment is over 3 years, and the last year's figures are based on projected accounts. This means that if a club breaches the financial limits the EFL can take action in the same season. 

Reading the Villa forum back in the summer when there were serious concerns about the club going into administration, it sounded like the needed to raise £40m  just to stay afloat and at that time fans were commenting that worries about ffp were of secondary importance. Th new joint owners buying half of the club probably raised the cash needed to pay the most immediate and pressing debts and bills, but I don;t think this money can be used to offset losses for ffp purposes. The figures I read quoted on the forum suggested it was odds on that Villa would breach financial limits this season, especially as they had already borrowed against this seasons parachute payment!

Accordingly, like a few others I cannot fathom how they can fund all these signings ( loan fees and not inconsiderable wages) on top of their already massive outgoings ( wages etc) that will contribute towards this season's loss, and stay within ffp, if they were already precariously close to the limits at the start of the season.

I suspect that either the new owners are ignorant of the financial rules and think they can plough money into the club willy nilly, in which case tough - ignorance is not proof of innocence - or they are riding roughshod over the financial rules, thinking that if the EFL do apply a severe penalty, such as points deduction, they will threaten a legal action to contest such a penalty that the EFL would not risk fighting.

I think the projected accounts have to be produced in March, so the 3 year figures would be known well before the end of the season. Accordingly, if they breach and the EFL does back down, I would hope that the owners of the other championship clubs then notify the league of their "group" action to either have Villa's penalty applied or that they should be relegated from the championship. If not,  then they will boycott the following seasons championship. Would the EFL really risk losing the entire championship over one club, no matter how big or important that one club might be!

It's no good the EFL having financial rules in place  and actually beefing up the penalties for breaking them, unless they are prepared to apply the rules and penalties properly.

Should Villa break ffp then it is the opportunity for the EFL to prove the rules have teeth and that clubs will be penalised properly. This way it will ensure that all clubs adhere to the financial guidelines and give us a better chance of a more level financial playing field. Should the EFL back down however, then I would hope that SL and every other owner notifies the EFL that they cannot follow rules that are not being applied.

Parachute payments are a big enough inequality without a mockery being made of every club that is trying to follow the rules laid down for every member of the EFL.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Brentford are beating them again on a shoe string of a budget. You can compete if you buy wisely.

Indeed the odd team can but that doesn't alter the fact that the playing field is about as level as the old Huish Park.

It's anti competitive practice driven by the excesses of the Premier League, pure and simple.

Out of reactions but :clap: @downendcity 

What is also a joke, given the PL sky money and revenue, is that you are allowed to lose £35m in the PL but £13m in the Championship.

Seems a flawed system in that sense- for example if you broke even in 2 PL years you could lose £83m in Year 1 back in Championship (but then you'd have to cut back hugely- but if you go up, then problem solved)!

You're not wrong there @chinapig because the PL don't enforce things like transfer embargoes, even points deducted if FFP flouted in this division- it's even a battle to get the fines that are due I think if the club is up there.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Indeed the odd team can but that doesn't alter the fact that the playing field is about as level as the old Huish Park.

It's anti competitive practice driven by the excesses of the Premier League, pure and simple.

Don’t get me wrong - they should be punished if they’ve broken FFP. But just cos they can buy quality doesn’t mean we should all lie down - they can be beaten no doubt. 

Ipswich played with ten men for a long time and got a point at the weekend. So I’m hoping they stay down again and then things will just get tougher and tougher. 

Archived