IGNORED

What’s the Points Return on our Next 5 Fixtures?

Part of the Lee Johnson debate is, I believe, fuelled in most part by our inconsistency over a season. Not just in results but performances as well.

The outcome, if born out over a season, is a mid table finish. We will lose games and then it becomes a case of ‘well which games were you happy to lose’? I suppose those who question Johnson will point to the manner in which we suffer those losses and perform badly and rightly voice their doubts. Similarly, those who support Johnson will rightly sing his praises after one of our better performances or victories.

The truth is somewhere in the middle and I still haven’t figured it out yet, although I do think it says more about Steve Lansdown as an owner than it actually does about Lee Johnson and his own ability.

So with although the above in mind, our next 5 fixtures are as follows:

Blackburn H

Sheff Utd H

West Brom A

Wigan A

Aston H

What is the points tally you would be happy  with from those 5 fixtures? What is a good return? 

If we truly are pushing for the top 6 then we need 9 points or higher. I believe we will get 8 or 9 points.

6 points or lower would not be great and probably cause more debate, especially if the makeup of those points involves games being drawn as that could be spun both ways.

Either way, the next 5 games should be a great test of where we are.

• Admin

I know it’s early days in terms of the league table but we’ve had easier starts to a season. Only 2 of our first 10 opponents are currently in the bottom half & one of those is unbeaten Forest.

If the make-up of getting 6 points was W1 D3 L1 I’d be satisfied with that, giving us 14 points from the first 10 games but just 2 defeats going into what is hopefully a slightly easier next 10.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

I know it’s early days in terms of the league table but we’ve had easier starts to a season. Only 2 of our first 10 opponents are currently in the bottom half & one of those is unbeaten Forest.

If the make-up of getting 6 points was W1 D3 L1 I’d be satisfied with that, giving us 14 points from the first 10 games but just 2 defeats going into what is hopefully a slightly easier next 10.

Yes I can see 6 points from that lot. Win against Blackburn to really get hopes soaring, lose at West Brom, draw the rest.

That would be a consistent run of results and if it's not coupled with throwing away big leads then happy days.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

our next 5 fixtures are as follows:

Blackburn H

Sheff Utd H

West Brom A

Wigan A

Aston H

What is the points tally you would be happy  with from those 5 fixtures? What is a good return? 

Bearing in mind City win when we don't expect it and inexplicably lose other games and that this is the Championship where anyone can beat anyone; would another two wins, two draws and a defeat be acceptable?

Extending that over the season, City will end up with P46  W18  D19  L9  Pts73 which isn't enough to reach the P/Os, but would be near them and a higher finish than last season.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

Part of the Lee Johnson debate is, I believe, fuelled in most part by our inconsistency over a season. Not just in results but performances as well.

The outcome, if born out over a season, is a mid table finish. We will lose games and then it becomes a case of ‘well which games were you happy to lose’? I suppose those who question Johnson will point to the manner in which we suffer those losses and perform badly and rightly voice their doubts. Similarly, those who support Johnson will rightly sing his praises after one of our better performances or victories.

The truth is somewhere in the middle and I still haven’t figured it out yet, although I do think it says more about Steve Lansdown as an owner than it actually does about Lee Johnson and his own ability.

Blackburn H

Sheff Utd H

West Brom A

Wigan A

Aston H

If we truly are pushing for the top 6 then we need 9 points or higher. I believe we will get 8 or 9 points.

6 points or lower would not be great and probably cause more debate, especially if the makeup of those points involves games being drawn as that could be spun both ways.

I thought our first five were hard enough..

Just now, 22A said:

Change "never" to "hardly ever". I was there; 17th March 1976; "the siege of the alamo". :city:

So was I. Amazing how we kept them from scoring in the second half. It was like the Brummie Road end was trying to suck the ball into the net. Wasn't there one incident when the ball hit post, crossbar and the other post?

Nights like that are what football is all about.

And we very nearly did the same at league leaders Sunderland a couple of weeks later but they snatched a last minute equaliser.

Such memories.

7 points and I'd bite yr hand off! trouble is its far too early to guess at form. QPR won yesterday as did Stoke both had poor starts...

remember though that other teams and fans are looking at us the same way and they won't be thinking about last season...we've bought in weiman and kalas for Bobby and flinty (sort of) and Lloyd is a great prospect in for Joe. ..our squad is deeper and we have our record signing cf to come back in( which concerns me weirdly enough). We were better than florist..came back from two down against Bolton (away) lost to a better side in boro and won away at QPR and Swansea.Solid form. 

You reds. 

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Ian....I said similar in the thread about opening 10 games....that we’d be a bit of a slow burner, might draw a fair few.  Something along the lines of 253, 262 for 10/11 points.  So after 5 we are way above my expectations, but we need to be mindful of getting carried away.  Blackburn won’t be easy next week, although I think a fair few have already decided on a home win.

It would be great to think the last 2 games have given us momentum, but we are Bristol City!!!

We all know the Championship is impossible to predict..!

I’d like to think we’ll take a minimum of 6 points and a realistic maximum is probably 10. 

4/5 possibly 6/7 points from our 3 home games and then depends what we can pick up from our 2 away games. 

I’ll be satisfied with 7, happy with 8, delighted with 9 and anything more that that will be starting to look very exciting..! 

The average points needed for 6th place in the last 10 seasons is 74. Meaning that we need an average 1.6 points per game roughly. Over five games this translates to 8 points every five games. We’ve got that in our first five games, and I reckon that it is just as possible for us to get another 8 points in the following five. COYR

Does seem a tough start.

Looking at new players, injuries, Fammys suspension, I would have been happy with something like 3-4-3 off the first ten games, or 13 points. That would leave us needing five off these games, which in itself would now be disappointing, although it looked stretching just two games ago! If we can come out of those five now with 7 points, for 15 from the first ten, given everything that has got to be a good return.

Its a league where after a couple of wins every game looks winnable. Lose to Blackburn, and we might look at the next four and half worry where the next point is coming from. 

Well, it’s a good start!

Think these next four games will tell us a lot, and ten matches is as good as any place for a real first judgement.

For whatever reason, our track record after international breaks is not great, and Sheff Utd are equally in good attacking form. WBA and Villa which much more expensive squads.

Either way, we have some decent points on the board already. Given all the changes at the start of the season, still think 15 points at that stage would be very acceptable, but where we are right now a bit disapppointing maybe.

On current form, City vs Blades looks a bit of a cracker.

The Championship is an amazing league, just think how many TV armchair footy fans miss out because they think the Prem is the only real football when in fact, it's a lot more predictable and boring then they make out.

From those hard looking games, i'd take 2 wins and a draw. God knows from which games.

On 26/08/2018 at 05:32, 054123 said:

Blackburn H

Sheff Utd H

West Brom A

Wigan A

Aston H

Blackburn I reckon a 4-1 win.... 

Shff. Utd......3-2 win

WBA..... 1-1

Wigan....2-1 win

Villa....... 3-1 win

☺️

Archived