IGNORED

the dropped undroppables making things better

where's the joy

18 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

I agree that our midfield is the issue, IMO Bailey Wright will be pushing Marlon out once he's fit.

Josh is first name on the team sheet, Marlon is our weak link.

Um........which planet are you on?

Hang on........you’re not back at school yet?

5 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

Saturdays game, he was (with the ball) the worst player on the pitch. It wasn't until ht and LJ changed the set up and how we played that we were the superior team.

You know we played on Sunday?

Pack is the vital cog in the team. The team's performance matches his, almost worryingly so. In the first half against Blackburn, he/we struggled with their high press, and being man-marked by the ref. In the second half, he had more space and time and continued to play that anchoring role that allows Brownhill to run around like a demented puppy.

There is no way that LJ is going to replace Pack with Bailey Wright. In fact,  having bemoaned how many injured centre backs we had, we are now in the position that I don't think we will see Wright or Baker again for some time, unless Webster or Kalas get injured, and even then LJ might prefer shifting Lloyd Kelly across & playing Dasilva.

18 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Pack our weak link? 

If Pack has a poor game, then the whole team does. He's vital to us and the way we play. Sunday surely proved that? First half he wasn't at his best, the team struggled to get anything going after the opening 10 mins.

This 

Absolutely

Marlon has had to grow on me But is a far better player than he was 2 yrs ago

As you say - If Pack is playing poorly normally so are we , he’s integral to the way we play 

@Lee0 don’t you think Bailey Wright might not be better in the No 10 role ?

16 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

You know we played on Sunday?

Pack is the vital cog in the team. The team's performance matches his, almost worryingly so. In the first half against Blackburn, he/we struggled with their high press, and being man-marked by the ref. In the second half, he had more space and time and continued to play that anchoring role that allows Brownhill to run around like a demented puppy.

There is no way that LJ is going to replace Pack with Bailey Wright. In fact,  having bemoaned how many injured centre backs we had, we are now in the position that I don't think we will see Wright or Baker again for some time, unless Webster or Kalas get injured, and even then LJ might prefer shifting Lloyd Kelly across & playing Dasilva.

I don't completely disagree with you, I think MP is important as he has some physical presence, but that's it....his poor touches and positioning can't be blamed on the ref, also his poor captaincy when we needed somebody on the pitch to see and put right what was going wrong wasn't there.

I don't see BW getting back into a defence that has plenty of cover in all positions either and that's why I see him challenging for the other CM spot (alongside JB)

It's almost as if rotation within a small but varied squad is a good approach for a league with the number of games as the Championship...

A part of why I think we tend to look great at the start of the season, and drop off spectacularly after Christmas is down to how the players are worn down early. If we're rotating and offering the right amount of rest, then in theory the players should be able to sustain a challenge in the league for longer.

2 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

I don't completely disagree with you, I think MP is important as he has some physical presence, but that's it....his poor touches and positioning can't be blamed on the ref, also his poor captaincy when we needed somebody on the pitch to see and put right what was going wrong wasn't there.

I don't see BW getting back into a defence that has plenty of cover in all positions either and that's why I see him challenging for the other CM spot (alongside JB)

If Pack was just a physical presence sat in front of the back 4 then it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility that someone like BW could come in and cover that role. However, Pack offers way more than that and i'd imagine the majority would agree.

Can't see BW taking hold of the ball in our own half, holding off a man, turning him,  then spraying a 30-40 yard pass out to a winger or a slide rule disguised pass into a strikers feet on the edge of the box. He's improved and developed year on year with us and is pretty much a key player in this side.

Either you'e mistaken on what type of player Pack is or you're deliberately on a wind up.

13 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

Hmmm.........I see you’re a newbie but obviously daft/brave enough to  not only post inaccurately but making way off the mark comments.

Wright is not a midfielder, Pack is the central link of the team.........sure he was poor on Sunday in the first half particularly but that’s not a reflection on his game generally.

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

If Pack was just a physical presence sat in front of the back 4 then it wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility that someone like BW could come in and cover that role. However, Pack offers way more than that and i'd imagine the majority would agree.

Can't see BW taking hold of the ball in our own half, holding off a man, turning him,  then spraying a 30-40 yard pass out to a winger or a slide rule disguised pass into a strikers feet on the edge of the box. He's improved and developed year on year with us and is pretty much a key player in this side.

Either you'e mistaken on what type of player Pack is or you're deliberately on a wind up.

I'm not saying MP is 'just' a physical presence, I'm saying that he's not enough.

Yes, he's improved and developed, but not to a level that will take us further than where we are now. (Felt that way about Flint too).

He's played a couple of decent passes this season, a superb one on Sunday out to Eliason in the 1st half comes to mind, but, he's also played alot of poor ones.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm.........I see you’re a newbie but obviously daft/brave enough to  not only post inaccurately but making way off the mark comments.

Wright is not a midfielder, Pack is the central link of the team.........sure he was poor on Sunday in the first half particularly but that’s not a reflection on his game generally.

Hmmmm..... I see you've been here for a long time.... eventually you might be brave/daft enough to show me what was inaccurate.

Pack is a central link, because that's where he plays, as I've already said, I don't fault his desire and commitment, I doubt his ability.

BW has played in midfield a number of times.

10 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

I'm not saying MP is 'just' a physical presence, I'm saying that he's not enough.

Yes, he's improved and developed, but not to a level that will take us further than where we are now. (Felt that way about Flint too).

He's played a couple of decent passes this season, a superb one on Sunday out to Eliason in the 1st half comes to mind, but, he's also played alot of poor ones.

You clearly said " I think MP is important as he has some physical presence, but that's it." Then off the back of that statement you claim that's why BW could come in for him.

Same with a lot of our squad, if they were any better than they are right now, they probably wouldn't be with us. MP is not the complete finished article but is a damn fine CM/DM for us and again, he is a key player in this side. 

Agreed, he didn't have his best 90 mins on Sun overall but he did improve and even popped up with a goal. Keep your eye on him for as much of a game as you can and you'll see how much of our 1st attacking phases go through him. He's intelligent and has a good range of passing.

1 hour ago, Lee0 said:

Yep, I'm saying BW will be the main competition for Marlon, and, IMO he'll take the position from him.

JB will be in the middle every game, he's LJs first pick and we have enough wide players now so he won't play there. 

Without discussing Pack, where/when/what makes you think Bailey Wright can anchor the midfield? Have there been a dozen closed doors friendlies only you knew about?

Bailey Wright is probably the poorest passer in the squad, no chance of him playing in midfield. Now we've brought in superior players he'll probably be no more than a CB filler in from now on.

Pack had an atrocious first half, almost comical, a catalogue of errors.

He'd be the first to admit what a poor half he had but it was out of character for a generally very consistent player who is likely to be City's captain for a number of years imo.

6 minutes ago, Gazred said:

You clearly said " I think MP is important as he has some physical presence, but that's it." Then off the back of that statement you claim that's why BW could come in for him.

Same with a lot of our squad, if they were any better than they are right now, they probably wouldn't be with us. MP is not the complete finished article but is a damn fine CM/DM for us and again, he is a key player in this side. 

Agreed, he didn't have his best 90 mins on Sun overall but he did improve and even popped up with a goal. Keep your eye on him for as much of a game as you can and you'll see how much of our 1st attacking phases go through him. He's intelligent and has a good range of passing.

I do think his physicality is important, that's the only reason I see him worthy of his place.

I don't have it in for MP, I like the man and I like the player but I do see our CM as our weak spot and I do see JB as someone who could go further, maybe BW isn't the answer either but if the question is 'can we push on, out of this division.' ? Then 'MP' is not the answer

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Bailey Wright is probably the poorest passer in the squad, no chance of him playing in midfield. Now we've brought in superior players he'll probably be no more than a CB filler in from now on.

Pack had an atrocious first half, almost comical, a catalogue of errors.

He'd be the first to admit what a poor half he had but it was out of character for a generally very consistent player who is likely to be City's captain for a number of years imo.

That's a fair shout apart from the 1st sentence. decent post ... we'll see

15 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Without discussing Pack, where/when/what makes you think Bailey Wright can anchor the midfield? Have there been a dozen closed doors friendlies only you knew about?

I don't know.... the doors were closed..... BW was injured anyway

Real shame about Korey's injury but as he wasn't picked for the first 2 games it's not clear he was ever in LJ's plans as a regular first choice this season.

We all know what a good player Korey can be, but his many less effective games seem to be overlooked due to his popularity.

Perhaps less so by LJ - Pack and Brownhill both seem to be ahead of Korey in the pecking order now.

Just now, Lee0 said:

I do think his physicality is important, that's the only reason I see him worthy of his place.

I don't have it in for MP, I like the man and I like the player but I do see our CM as our weak spot and I do see JB as someone who could go further, maybe BW isn't the answer either but if the question is 'can we push on, out of this division.' ? Then 'MP' is not the answer

If Pack isn't the answer then BW certainly isn't! 

Agree that CM is one area that needs to be strengthened in Jan. We don't really have cover for Pack for starters and in essence you are correct,  if we are to push onward and upwards as a club, some players will get left behind. Personally don't think Pack is one of those though.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Real shame about Korey's injury but as he wasn't picked for the first 2 games it's not clear he was ever in LJ's plans as a regular first choice this season.

We all know what a good player Korey can be, but his many less effective games seem to be overlooked due to his popularity.

Perhaps less so by LJ - Pack and Brownhill both seem to be ahead of Korey in the pecking order now.

Just out of interest..... do you not think that if MP was dropped there would be a fan backlash due to him being popular ?

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

If Pack isn't the answer then BW certainly isn't! 

Agree that CM is one area that needs to be strengthened in Jan. We don't really have cover for Pack for starters and in essence you are correct,  if we are to push onward and upwards as a club, some players will get left behind. Personally don't think Pack is one of those though.

You think MP has the potential to take this club to the next level ? The prem ? And play ?

Just now, Lee0 said:

You think MP has the potential to take this club to the next level ? The prem ? And play ?

No reason he couldn't be part of a promotion winning side in this division. Would he be able to compete week in week out in the Prem? Yeh he's no De Bruyne but i don't think the would look totally out of place. There's not a huge gulf between top 6 Champ and bottom 6 Prem anymore. You certainly don't get name dropped by Pep unless you've got something about you.

Put it this way, i don't think he would be instantly dropped and or sold as soon as we got promoted. He'd still have something to offer. BW on the other hand......

For me, the major tests still lie ahead

The early signs are positive and I hope we are more robust than next season but the three areas we need to improve on from last season are:

1) carrying good runs of form before international breaks into the next runs of games.

2) continuing to perform well as legs tire when the games come thick and fast.

3) responding to adversity and snuffing our runs of poor form early rather than allowing a rot to set in.

If we can address those three, we are in for a good season...

4 minutes ago, Gazred said:

No reason he couldn't be part of a promotion winning side in this division. Would he be able to compete week in week out in the Prem? Yeh he's no De Bruyne but i don't think the would look totally out of place. There's not a huge gulf between top 6 Champ and bottom 6 Prem anymore. You certainly don't get name dropped by Pep unless you've got something about you.

Put it this way, i don't think he would be instantly dropped and or sold as soon as we got promoted. He'd still have something to offer. BW on the other hand......

Wow.... fair enough.... it's all opinions ! 

43 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

Hmmmm..... I see you've been here for a long time.... eventually you might be brave/daft enough to show me what was inaccurate.

Pack is a central link, because that's where he plays, as I've already said, I don't fault his desire and commitment, I doubt his ability.

BW has played in midfield a number of times.

I think you raise some valid points, but I don't necessarily share your opinion. I think Pack has been one of most improved players over the last two years and deserves his place in the team.

You can ignore RR though, he seems to think time spent on this forum directly correlates to quality of the post, yet he's the perfect example that this isn't the case. 

Archived