IGNORED

Is womens sport comparable to mens sport?

Bar BS3

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not using it as a yardstick - I just pointed out that a woman was beating/drawing with household name male snooker players nearly 30 years ago....no need to elongate this discussion.....ps: you haven’t mentioned ‘at the top level’ in any of your posts regarding darts, pool and snooker....

I thought it was blatantly obvious otherwise there would be no discussion because a top women would beat me and you at darts pool and snooker 

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You don’t write for the sun by any chance because what has the wages of a footballer got to do with women’s football,on that theory the best boxers in the world shouldn’t get there 10 mill because it should go to women’s boxing 

I do wonder why I bother with this place sometimes.

Your comment makes literally no sense. I am arguing against the notion that the men's game shouldn't be used to financially support the women's game. Given the vast amount of money in the men's game I'm saying there's no reason why it shouldn't. There is more than enough cash around to continue paying footballers their vast wages as well as develop women's football.

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I do wonder why I bother with this place sometimes.

Your comment makes literally no sense. I am arguing against the notion that the men's game shouldn't be used to financially support the women's game. Given the vast amount of money in the men's game I'm saying there's no reason why it shouldn't. There is more than enough cash around to continue paying footballers their vast wages as well as develop women's football.

Why should the money being generated by the men’s game be put towards women’s football and not grass roots football and stop banging on and being so bitter about what footballers earn

28 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Why should the money being generated by the men’s game be put towards women’s football and not grass roots football and stop banging on and being so bitter about what footballers earn

Oh you do say some strange things. Who said anything about taking away money from grass roots? No bitterness either, just a statement of fact; their wages are vast and that proves their is sufficient money within the game to help develop women's football.

35 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Oh you do say some strange things. Who said anything about taking away money from grass roots? No bitterness either, just a statement of fact; their wages are vast and that proves their is sufficient money within the game to help develop women's football.

Who said anything about taking money away from grassroots football? I said give it to grassroots football instead of women’s football that’s all and as for players wages I just don’t get the leap you are making,are you suggesting that the owners of clubs who pay the players should pay them less and put it into women’s football,if so you are living in cloud coukoo land 

17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Precisely.

How many on here had watched (or even heard of) Curling, let alone Women's Curling, prior to the last two Olympics.

I don't mind admitting that I was hooked by both male and female versions, but this was due undoubtedly to the fact that both British teams were successful*, i.e. without their success, I doubt either version would have been broadcast.

As you say, one thing leads to another and, were the teams not successful they would not have received the media coverage they did and would have remained unheard of, certainly south of the border.

* There is also something about blond hair and piercing blue eyes....

IMG_0395.JPG

12 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Do you know how much money goes into the women's game from  men's football? Do you know how the women's game is financed?

Women's football is financed by FC's, regional FA's, the FA, sport England, sponsorship, individual fund raising linked to each team and more.

Women's football is part of grass roots football. 

A different question should be why should money generated by football be put towards all elements of the game regardless of age, ability/disability/gender/mental health, race? Its a simple answer. You either feel football has a socio economic role to play or it does not. Football clubs essentially, were/are a means of providing opportunity to play or watch football for the benefit of the clubs fans, members and community .. All of them. 

A tiny sliver of the money generated by the top of the game goes to the well being of football as a whole. 

On 13/09/2018 at 07:47, Eddie Hitler said:

It isn't "purely sexism" or if it is then it is sexism on the part of the broadcaster.

Cycling, men's and women's, became popular a few years' ago because of British success and received a great deal of coverage.

This is how it should work: a sport's popularity amongst spectators naturally generates increased media coverage.

Women's football is not popular as a spectator sport, just look at the wide open spaces in the stands in the highlights clips, so why is the BBC in particular continuing to push it?

I can only conclude that they are sexist.

As I've noted before, Ed. Woman's football is on TV because the rights are cheap and it does actually attract a reasonable audience for the modest outlay (these things are closely monitored by the execs at Salford Quays).

I'm sure the Beeb would love to have more men's football, particularly PL, but as we know, unless they moved to a subscription service and dropped various things in their charter (religious broadcasting, local news, ethnic minority programming, World Service etc etc etc) they will never be able to outbid Sky and others who use that model.

23 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I guess the answer is how far will it grow?

It was massive 100 years ago.  Interesting article here...

When woman's football was a big deal

Personally, I enjoyed watching BCFC ladies a few years back.  You just got to see it as something different.  Still technically good (aside from goal keeping) and still entertaining.

And I far rather watched my daughter's games than my son's games.  The girls argued less with the ref and the parents behaved better too.

On 13/09/2018 at 10:25, Eddie Hitler said:

I have no issue with women's tennis on the TV and actually prefer it to the men's game.

Women's athletics on the TV - great.

These both draw huge crowds and TV audiences. 

I have zero issue with any women's sport and like that women play it.  I like that there are a lot of women playing football.

I however dislike the BBC's and other media's pushing of this one particular sport above all the others that are far more popular as spectator sports; and in particular the deliberate conflation of it with the vastly more successful men's game.

Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/Channel4/status/1017297049572737029

It was also completely inaccurate, as the under 17s won the World Cup last year. I really enjoyed putting a few people straight on that through facebook at the time.

Archived