IGNORED

Is womens sport comparable to mens sport?

Bar BS3

• Admin
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I can, well I can now anyway:  Lucy Bronzes.

Sadly @Eddie Hitler there is only on Lucy Bronze

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I couldn’t name one currant England woman’s footballer and to me that says everything.

Am surprised at that @Robbored, especially as one of the keepers played for us last season

Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Mary Earps (Wolfsburg), Carly Telford (Chelsea)

Defenders: Millie Bright (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Lyon), Rachel Daly (Houston Dash), Gabby George (Everton), Alex Greenwood (Manchester United ), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Abbie McManus (Manchester City), Leah Williamson (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Isobel Christiansen (Lyon), Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Keira Walsh (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Reading)

Forwards: Toni Duggan (Barcelona), Melissa Lawley (Manchester City), Beth Mead (Arsenal), Nikita Parris (Manchester City), Jodie Taylor (Seattle Reign), Ellen White (Birmingham City).

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sadly @Eddie Hitler there is only on Lucy Bronze

Am surprised at that @Robbored, especially as one of the keepers played for us last season

Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Mary Earps (Wolfsburg), Carly Telford (Chelsea)

Defenders: Millie Bright (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Lyon), Rachel Daly (Houston Dash), Gabby George (Everton), Alex Greenwood (Manchester United ), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Abbie McManus (Manchester City), Leah Williamson (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Isobel Christiansen (Lyon), Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Keira Walsh (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Reading)

Forwards: Toni Duggan (Barcelona), Melissa Lawley (Manchester City), Beth Mead (Arsenal), Nikita Parris (Manchester City), Jodie Taylor (Seattle Reign), Ellen White (Birmingham City).

Most football fans should know Bardsley, Bronze, Daly, Houghton, Christiansen, Kirby, Scott, Williams and Duggan.

If one is reading sports pages in print or online just don't skip over the women's game.  Have a quick read, watch the goals etc.  Might be surprised how good and interesting it is.  

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You are confusing particpation with spectating yet again.

It is anyway second after swimming (2.5m) at 1.8m.

https://www.sportengland.org/apsresults/

No I am not.

Swimming has less affiliated members. If knocking a ball about occasionally counts as playing football the numbers are even greater.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I couldn’t name one currant England woman’s footballer and to me that says everything.

It simply says you do not watch Women's football.

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It simply says you do not watch Women's football.

Very, very few people do.

Btw, my wife thinks women's football is very poor quality and cringes when it's on, and my daughter was never in the slightest bit interested in kicking a football.

Neither of them would ever want to play football, or ever willingly watch women's football.

If women truly want equality - unlike at Wimbledon where they get paid the same as men for doing less hours  - then let’s just get rid of all gender barriers. Just merge. There. I’ve become part of the gender-free ult-left.

Should think most top women would play at League 10 in the pyramid, so televise that you b*****ds. 

That said, quite enjoy some women’s football. So, until such time they start squealing like the women in tennis about equal pay - happy they play with themselves (cough) and there’s plenty of in-depth coverage. 

4 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

If women truly want equality - unlike at Wimbledon where they get paid the same as men for doing less hours  - then let’s just get rid of all gender barriers. Just merge. There. I’ve become part of the gender-free ult-left.

Should think most top women would play at League 10 in the pyramid, so televise that you b*****ds. 

That said, quite enjoy some women’s football. So, until such time they start squealing like the women in tennis about equal pay - happy they play with themselves (cough) and there’s plenty of in-depth coverage. 

Shall all sports be merged then?  No more women olympians if so.

Lots of men would love that I guess!  

17 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Lots of big women around these days, big boned, tall, so why can't one of them play in goal?

Unless they're all playing women's rugby of course.

There are in some clubs, in certain areas of town, however I think there’s something that you need to know..! ?

On the debate of women’s football per sé, yes the goalkeeping is awful but I have no beef with it being on TV. 

On the debate of sport in general on TV I think we’ve missed a trick. Or in fact, I think we’ve all been duped as a nation following London 2012 Olympics. 

That bid was supposed to be all about creating a “legacy” for sport in this country. But how many times have you seen on tv the regular meets/tournaments that happen all the time all over the world in sports like Badminton, Table Tennis, Rowing, BMX, Water Polo, Canoeing, Volleyball, Archery, Triathlon, Fencing, Hockey, Sailing, Karate & Judo, Modern Pentathlon, Amatuer Boxing etc etc. 

We will occasionally see one or other of these sports on tv when it’s the world championships, and we see slightly more occasional appearances of cycling, swimming & diving, but in the main, the “legacy” has been a total lie. 

It would be easy enough for the BBC to have a “Legacy Sports Channel” which is 100% dedicated to these and other minority sports. Not just the occasional world champs but all year round competition. If this channel was dedicated to that and ensured it avoided football, cricket & rugby at all costs then at least there would be regular access to all other sports and perhaps it might increase the participation and engage some kids in different things. 

Right now, there is absolutely no legacy from 2012. A TV channel needs to be established to help with this. It’s essential to grow these sports. 

People will say the funding isn’t available. But this can easily come from advertising (a new sports only bbc channel could allow this), and from lottery funding, as well as other investors. 

I honestly don’t know why this doesn’t exist. It’s simple. 

Women’s football is not comparable to men’s football. 

It’s great that they are now welcomed into playing & watching football, more than ever before, but it’s basically an entirely different sport. 

The fact it’s called “football” draws comparisons, when really there simply aren’t any and not even the best women players in the world would cut it generally at mens’ conference level.

I don’t doubt some of their skills or technical ability, but that’s also the case with plenty of men, who simply aren’t good enough all-round to compete with professional or even semi professional men.

It’s PC nonsense that women’s football get the coverage that it does. It’s more of a hobby than a “sport” 

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very, very few people do.

Btw, my wife thinks women's football is very poor quality and cringes when it's on, and my daughter was never in the slightest bit interested in kicking a football.

Neither of them would ever want to play football, or ever willingly watch women's football.

Struggling with your points.

You appear to be saying your Daughter has no interest in playing or watching football … Yes logically she will not watch women's football.

Are you now implying that females should not participate in sports like boxing, cricket, football, rugby unless they are of equal ability to Males? Unless women are in future genetically modified the bio mechanics can never be equal.

Lucy Bronze, or a Millie Bright clearly have footballing ability. They should be judged on that ability in the context of their sport.     

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Shall all sports be merged then?  No more women olympians if so.

Lots of men would love that I guess!  

Yep. We need to get rid of gender stero-typing - women are the same as men - no difference. Same pay, for same work, no discrimination. Women being segregated from men is all old hat.

Must be true the BBC and ult-left says so. 

(Although, today, the ult-left will be far more concerned about the  Dali’s ‘thought for the day’ I suspect).

23 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Any sport could replace football(and I include tennis) in your opening line because women are not physically up to what a man can do but that doesn’t discredit their achievements and nor should it

Women can compete with men at table tennis - we have a very successful, high ranking female table tennis player in Bristol, a very good friend of mine, she regularly beats male players...

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

On the debate of women’s football per sé, yes the goalkeeping is awful but I have no beef with it being on TV. 

On the debate of sport in general on TV I think we’ve missed a trick. Or in fact, I think we’ve all been duped as a nation following London 2012 Olympics. 

That bid was supposed to be all about creating a “legacy” for sport in this country. But how many times have you seen the regular meets/tournaments that happen all the time all over the world in sports like Badminton, Table Tennis, Rowing, BMX, Water Polo, Canoeing, Volleyball, Archery, Triathlon, Fencing, Hockey, Sailing, Karate & Judo, Modern Pentathlon, Amatuer Boxing etc etc. 

We will occasionally see one or other of these sports on tv when it’s the world championships, and we see slightly more occasional appearances of cycling, swimming & diving, but in the main, the “legacy” has been a total lie. 

It would be easy enough for the BBC to have a “Legacy Sports Channel” which is 100% dedicated to these and other minority sports. Not just the occasional world champs but all year round competition. If this channel was dedicated to that and ensured it avoided football, cricket & rugby at all costs then at least there would be regular access to all other sports and perhaps it might increase the participation and engage some kids in different things. 

Right now, there is absolutely no legacy from 2012. A TV channel needs to be established to help with this. It’s essential to grow these sports. 

People will say the funding isn’t available. But this can easily come from advertising (a new sports only bbc channel could allow this), and from lottery funding, as well as other investors. 

I honestly don’t know why this doesn’t exist. It’s simple. 

There is only one women’s football team (Man City) at the very top of the English game, who average over 2,000 people at their matches. 

The average women’s “premier league” fixture attracts just over 1,000 in attendance.

I’ve no idea how many of these are kids/schools freebie tickets. 

That sums up the interest in women’s football. 

I’m quite surprised at some of the responses on here. When I watch sport on tv, I watch the sport. I don’t care who is playing/riding/shooting/skiing etc. I couldn’t care less if they were make or female, young or old, what colour or religion they are or their sexual preferences. I watch the sport. It seems who is competing is re important to most of you?

I will watch practically any sport at least once. I try and understand what’s going and have a little understanding of a range of sports because of this. The Olympics and tournaments like this a great for learning as the commentators are often xplaining to an audience who wouldn’t normally be watching.I can’t believe the poster who said he wouldn’t watch hockey as it doesn’t know the rules, but watches football. Well how did you learn the football rules? I expect it was through watching and listening. How does anyone learn about anything!!!???

Im glad children nowadays (bloody hell I sound old) have a chance to play  wider range of sports than when I were a lass. For me it was tennis /rounders and athletics in the  Summer and hockey and netball and badminton in the winter. The boys did Tennis, cricket and athletics, or football, rugby, table tennis and basketball. Just for one lesson, at the end of term girls did football (which I loved) and boys did hockey. Other than that I didn’t have a hope of playing basketball etc. Nowadays it seems everything is open to everybody, even if it is after school clubs etc, it is possible. 

Maybe young people now with the above in mind and what is covered on tv etc will be a bit more open to both sexes playing sport. No the majority of women aren’t going to have the physical strength of most men, but that doesn’t mean they should be denied the opportunity or ridiculed for playing. 

18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

This is the 21st century right? 

Just checking as some of the comments on this thread seem more like something from the Victorian era.

Do we have to be liberal of thought ? Can we not have minds of our own and trust our own judgement on what we see with our own eyes ? 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yep. We need to get rid of gender stero-typing - women are the same as men - no difference. Same pay, for same work, no discrimination. Women being segregated from men is all old hat.

Must be true the BBC and ult-left says so. 

(Although, today, the ult-left will be far more concerned about the  Dali’s ‘thought for the day’ I suspect).

Why don’t women play best of 5 sets at Wimbledon then..?

Why can’t women (who train Day in, Day out) lift the same as men, run as fast as men, throw/kick as far as men..?

It’s because we ARE all different and women are not as good as men at somethings. FACT.

Of course a female solicitor, journalist, post “person”, bus driver etc should be paid the same as men (and are in most cases)

Why should women be paid anything like the same as men in sports, when they simply aren’t as good at them..?!

(I know your post was being sarcastic, but replying to the point that the PC brigade do often champion)

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Women are better at hockey

Are they..? Are the women’s England hockey team better than the men’s England hockey team..?

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

There is only one women’s football team (Man City) at the very top of the English game, who average over 2,000 people at their matches. 

The average women’s “premier league” fixture attracts just over 1,000 in attendance.

I’ve no idea how many of these are kids/schools freebie tickets. 

That sums up the interest in women’s football. 

The interest is summed up in one word: growing.  

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why can’t women (who train Day in, Day out) lift the same as men, run as fast as men, throw/kick as far as men..?

It’s because we ARE all different and women are not as good as men at somethings. FACT.

Of course a female solicitor, journalist, post “person”, bus driver etc should be paid the same as men (and are in most cases)

Why should women be paid anything like the same as men in sports, when they simply aren’t as good at them..?!

(I know your post was being sarcastic, but replying to the point that the PC brigade do often champion)

Are they..? Are the women’s England hockey team better than the men’s England hockey team..?

The women's won gold last Olympics, I'm not so sure the men did

18 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

The women I know want fairness and equality of opportunity rather than demanding equality of outcome.  

I know the purple haired shouty types claim to speak for all women but I don't think they do in reality.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely. Women get paid MORE per hour then men at Wimbledon! 

This, according to the ult-left and BBC - is fair and represents their version of equality. 

• Admin
11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Women can compete with men at table tennis - we have a very successful, high ranking female table tennis player in Bristol, a very good friend of mine, she regularly beats male players...

Also Badminton?

9 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Women are better at hockey

Would say at their level the English team is more succesful, but again they would get beaten playing an equivilent Male side

Just now, Sturny said:

The women's won gold last Olympics, I'm not so sure the men did

They were playing against other women..! 

They could win the World Cup and the men could never win a single match. That wouldn’t mean that the women were better than the men, they just have different levels to compete against. 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Absolutely. Women get paid MORE per hour then men at Wimbledon! 

This, according to the ult-left and BBC - is fair and represents their version of equality. 

I’m going to chain myself to Buckingham Palace gates and burn my boxers, demanding equality in this day and age. 

Whos with me...?! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sport is entertainment so what sports stars recieve is not a salary which somehow has to be "fair" but a share of the income they bring in.   If I practised really really hard for twenty years and got on stage to sing and play guitar I wouldn't be paid as much as Bruce Springsteen despite my having put in just as much effort because I wouldn't draw the paying crowds to see my performance; or anybody come to that.

I find women's tennis more entertaining than men's tennis so on that basis (if everybody thought teh same) the women should be paid more than the men however many sets they play; its about entetrtaining people not the effort put in.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

They were playing against other women..! 

They could win the World Cup and the men could never win a single match. That wouldn’t mean that the women were better than the men, they just have different levels to compete against. 

Good point but guess you could say the women's hockey team is more successful. I've watched both mildly and thought women's were better but i'm no huge hockey fan. Has there ever been a male vs female hockey match? 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The interest is summed up in one word: growing.  

I guess the answer is how far will it grow?

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m going to chain myself to Buckingham Palace gates and burn my boxers, demanding equality in this day and age. 

Whos with me...?! 

I quite like my dogs

Archived