IGNORED

Is womens sport comparable to mens sport?

Bar BS3

19 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We got a Labour Party led by a certain bloke who belongs in the 20th century and has a lot of followers so you are not surprised by some of the comments on here surely 

Your political views have no place on a football forum. Why do you persist with spreading your point of view on this? No-one cares if you’re right wing or left wing here... its pathetic.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

In what way is it?

Do you mean they're being pushed to play football in schools?

In my day we had 1 girl who wanted to play football, in those days she was affectionately known as a tomboy.

None of the other girls were at all interested in football - many didn't like any sort of sport but others enjoyed netball, hockey and rounders.

They weren't built for the physicality of football, didn't have the stamina or skill, and had zero aptitude for it.

Are you telling me the average girl has changed so much in the intervening decades that they suddenly all want to play football, or are they simply being (over) encouraged to play football when in fact the majority might well rather be playing something else?

What percentage of girls are choosing to play football over other more traditional sport options like hockey and netball?

You can read some ignorant rubbish on this forum but this is exceptional.

Junior clubs like Whitchurch are seeing record numbers of girls coming into their club because they love playing football. There it is … The drivers studied by psychologists are the same as male kids - They enjoy scoring goals, running around, getting muddy, enjoy the social aspects of team sport ... Extrinsic and intrinsic.

Suggesting that females do not have an aptitude for football is frankly pathetic. At the early ages girls have a better aptitude for team sports due to having marginally better listening skills. 

Girls in mixed teams frequently outperform males at the early ages as there is little physical difference, and female interests in other multi lateral activities e.g. dancing, gymnastics frequently sees young girls having superior mobility and game speed.

Are you telling me the average girl has changed so much in the intervening decades that they suddenly all want to play football, or are … Females are taking advantage of opportunities they simply did not use to have. Society has moved on.

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The most popular participant sport is angling.

The whole debate around women's football, fuelled by its excessive coverage on the BBC, is not whether it is a popular sport for particpants but whether it is a popular sport for spectators.

It isn't.

Play it, enjoy it, great.  But if it's not popular amongst spectators then it has no place in the national media.

I disagree with your last sentence. If the media only focused on the most popular things then it would only cover Premier League football, and probably only 5-6 clubs (and yes some would say they do already!) The Beeb in particular has a less commercial remit about in part reaching wide audiences. Plus the take up of sport and all its associated benefits, not just amongst women, is related to visibility. Look at the numbers playing cricket since coverage came off terrestrial channels.

8 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Some of the hostility towards women’s football is... strange. 

The vast majority of us dreamed of being pros as children, and we all missed out for a hundred different reasons - too fat, too thin, too big, too small, too injured, too slow, mostly just too crap. At least the dream was there. And at least we could go and play for one of a thousand local sides to get our kicks (pun intended).

Now imagine growing up and being told that the main factor against you is that you are ‘too female’. That you can go and play and compete with your friends like anyone else, but reach a certain age and you are cut off, all of a sudden left in the wilderness searching for an all-female team to play for. And after that, no matter how much you love it, or how decent you are, there is no real league structure and no hope of progressing.

Thank god the authorities have seen sense at last and are pushing the game. That now young girls can grow up watching their favourite Male players, but also see women playing the game they love on tv, in world cups, for big teams like Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd.

Womens football is still in its infancy, and hopefully will continue to improve through generations. Will it ever be as good as the Male game? I doubt it. But I don’t think the two should be compared directly. Some of the dinosaurs in here don’t want to see anything about the game until the standard is ‘good enough’ for them, but how can the game hope to improve if it doesn’t get exposure and investment right now?

And you know what, we have FA execs earning millions a year, players earning more in a year than I’ll earn in a lifetime, players being transferred for hundreds of millions and TV companies bleeding us dry - I think if you want to look at the money issues in football we should concentrate on that rather than a few hundred thousand going from the coffers to clubs each year so that an entire gender has a chance at living their dream.

Best post. The sexism displayed by a fair amount of posters here is staggering but does reflect society, slowly but surely they will be in the minority. 

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

The point is women on general don’t really like football.

my mum thinks she’s s bit of a feminist and always bangs on about the jack of coverage etc. Yet when England or the women’s World Cup is on, she doesn’t watch as she doesn’t Like football!!!

Just because I Like to watch Bristol city’s men team, why is of my shoulders to support women’s football? 

People will like what they like.

Men’s football isn’t popular in this country because Sky created the premier league and shoved it down our throats 

I’m not sure I understand most of your post.

However you are correct about sky not making mens football popular it’s simply because men’s football has been played since the 1870’s  professionally and women’s football, I don’t know, 10 years?

Just now, EmissionImpossible said:

However you are correct about sky making mens football popular. In reality it’s because men’s football has been played since the 1870’s  professionally and women’s football, I don’t know, 10 years?

1 minute ago, EmissionImpossible said:

However you are correct about sky not making mens football popular it’s simply because men’s football has been played since the 1870’s  professionally and women’s football, I don’t know, 10 years?

My point is there is an expectation on footballs to support the women’s game the same.

I use my mum as an example of someone who claims women’s football is not supported enough by the media, but then doesn’t understand that their simply isn’t a big market for it. 

Even worse she doesn’t even make the effort to support the game by regularly watching or attending.

I personally would watch if it’s on but I wouldn’t follow any other team like I follow city.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

The point is women on general don’t really like football.

my mum thinks she’s s bit of a feminist and always bangs on about the jack of coverage etc. Yet when England or the women’s World Cup is on, she doesn’t watch as she doesn’t Like football!!!

Just because I Like to watch Bristol city’s men team, why is of my shoulders to support women’s football? 

People will like what they like.

Men’s football isn’t popular in this country because Sky created the premier league and shoved it down our throats 

However you are correct about sky making mens football popular. In reality it’s because men’s football has been played since the 1870’s  professionally and women’s football, I don’t know, 10 years?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly @Eddie Hitler there is only on Lucy Bronze

Am surprised at that @Robbored, especially as one of the keepers played for us last season

Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Mary Earps (Wolfsburg), Carly Telford (Chelsea)

Defenders: Millie Bright (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Lyon), Rachel Daly (Houston Dash), Gabby George (Everton), Alex Greenwood (Manchester United ), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Abbie McManus (Manchester City), Leah Williamson (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Isobel Christiansen (Lyon), Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Keira Walsh (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Reading)

Forwards: Toni Duggan (Barcelona), Melissa Lawley (Manchester City), Beth Mead (Arsenal), Nikita Parris (Manchester City), Jodie Taylor (Seattle Reign), Ellen White (Birmingham City).

Absolutely no idea Phantom.  

I take little interest in women’s football be it City or England.

10 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Best post. The sexism displayed by a fair amount of posters here is staggering but does reflect society, slowly but surely they will be in the minority. 

If you have no cogent argument and no positive position to set out then why not just put a negative label upon a lot of posters whilst claiming that "tomorrow belongs to me"?

It's always the best and simplest way to join a debate without actually joining it.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

My point is there is an expectation on footballs to support the women’s game the same.

I use my mum as an example of someone who claims women’s football is not supported enough by the media, but then doesn’t understand that their simply isn’t a big market for it. 

Even worse she doesn’t even make the effort to support the game by regularly watching or attending.

I personally would watch if it’s on but I wouldn’t follow any other team like I follow city.

Yes because if they don’t support it, it will never have a chance of becoming popular or the skill level will never improve because of lack of investment in training facilities etc etc. 

Mor and more girls in the last 5-10 years have become interested in football because it has a wider appeal with the advent of more televised games and the possibility of it becoming a career for them.

apologies for ******* up my posts before.

Just now, Eddie Hitler said:

If you have no cogent argument and no positive position to set out then why not just put a negative label upon a lot of posters whilst claiming that "tomorrow belongs to me"?

It's always the best and simplest way to join a debate without actually joining it.

Read my other posts and ignore the desperately poor editing skills.

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That maybe true but like I said in another post what stops women from being able to beat men in darts,pool,snooker etc,no physical advantage 

Well, Leanne Evans, the 11 times women’s world snooker champion, was invited to enter the World Snooker Championship last year, in her first match she beat 57th ranked Robin Hull 10-8....and Allison Fisher was invited to compete in Barry Hearn’s Matchroom Snooker League - she beat Neal Foulds and Tony Drago and she drew with Stephen Hendry, Alan McManus and Tony Meo, she now earns more than the men playing pool...and Wayne Mardle was leading Anastasia Dobromyslova 4-0 at the Grand Slam of Darts tournament a decade ago before being pegged back to 4-4....the women can compete with, and beat, the men at snooker, pool and darts...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, Leanne Evans, the 11 times women’s world snooker champion, was invited to enter the World Snooker Championship last year, in her first match she beat 57th ranked Robin Hull 10-8....and Allison Fisher was invited to compete in Barry Hearn’s Matchroom Snooker League - she beat Neal Foulds and Tony Drago and she drew with Stephen Hendry, Alan McManus and Tony Meo, she now earns more than the men playing pool...and Wayne Mardle was leading Anastasia Dobromyslova 4-0 at the Grand Slam of Darts tournament a decade ago before being pegged back to 4-4....the women can compete with, and beat, the men at snooker, pool and darts...

Stretching it a bit there mate ain’t you with past it snooker players and Wayne bloody mardle,we all know what happened to Anastasia when she played the top men in darts

23 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Sky don’t want it because it’s crap.so the bbc big it up as being the next best thing.the problem with this is the women start believing the hype and want to become professional when really it should be kept amateur until they can pay there way instead of subbing of the men’s game

Yeah spot on mate. I mean, why on earth should the penniless men’s game, with all those players struggling by on £100,000 a week, but used to help develop the women’s game and enable women earn a living from an increasingly popular sport that needs investment to flourish?

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yeah spot on mate. I mean, why on earth should the penniless men’s game, with all those players struggling by on £100,000 a week, but used to help develop the women’s game and enable women earn a living from an increasingly popular sport that needs investment to flourish?

You don’t write for the sun by any chance because what has the wages of a footballer got to do with women’s football,on that theory the best boxers in the world shouldn’t get there 10 mill because it should go to women’s boxing 

39 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What “men’s” tournament did she win,you picking the odd game here and there isn’t proving your point 

I dunno if she won a snooker tournament involving men - but I was replying to your post saying women couldn’t beat men at snooker - yet she did, more than once...and she did the same as a pool player...

• Admin
5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That maybe true but like I said in another post what stops women from being able to beat men in darts,pool,snooker etc,no physical advantage 

A snooker coach once told me that women had a disadvantage as their boobs meant they couldn’t cue straight, their arms always, even with coaching swing out a little bit.  No idea if it’s true and it was about 30+ years ago he told me, but if it’s true, that gives you a physical reason.

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I dunno if she won a snooker tournament involving men - but I was replying to your post saying women couldn’t beat men at snooker - yet she did, more than once...and she did the same as a pool player...

My original point was why cant women compete against men at the top level in darts,pool and snooker and of course in a one off game they can but Jesus you are using your yardstick as a women in snooker from 30 years ago

21 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

A snooker coach once told me that women had a disadvantage as their boobs meant they couldn’t cue straight, their arms always, even with coaching swing out a little bit.  No idea if it’s true and it was about 30+ years ago he told me, but if it’s true, that gives you a physical reason.

Might be some truth in that because I wasn’t a bad snooker player when I was younger but now my moobs get in the way,doesn’t explain why they can’t compete in darts tho because I’m still banging 9 dart finishes with these beauties hanging from my chest

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If you don't like womens football/sport then that's fine, don't watch it. But some of the posts on this thread have only just fallen short of the "what are they doing out of the kitchen, anyway?" type of comments that used to get bandied about in the past. Saying that ex is crap at what she does because it wouldn't cut the mustard in a man's game is complete bollox. I'll bet Paula Radcliffie in her prime could run rings around 99% of men for example, so what if she couldn't beat an elite male athlete, it's irrelevant. 

It’s not that I don’t like women’s football/cricket it’s just nowhere near the same standard as men’s. However much the Beeb try to push it, people aren’t going to buy it as they know the quality is no better than what they play in themselves. 

I’m not against Women’s sports, I think it’s great that there’s mass parcipitation in Football, Cricket, Rugby rather than just the traditional Netball and Hockey. But for me it’s not great entertainment and try as I might I can’t find any passion for it. 

Re Paula Radcliffe - she beat me by nearly an hour and half in the 2003 London Marathon. I was having an off day. 

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

My original point was why cant women compete against men at the top level in darts,pool and snooker and of course in a one off game they can but Jesus you are using your yardstick as a women in snooker from 30 years ago

Not using it as a yardstick - I just pointed out that a woman was beating/drawing with household name male snooker players nearly 30 years ago....no need to elongate this discussion.....ps: you haven’t mentioned ‘at the top level’ in any of your posts regarding darts, pool and snooker....

Archived