IGNORED

Marlon Pack

BobBobSuperBob

No apologies for another Pack thread !

Wasnt always his biggest fan and he had to grow on me but he has, and improved massively 8n last 2 years

Thought after a very shaky first half performance in particular last time out he was magnificent today , extremely composed and brave on the ball and kept us ticking or tried to throughout the game and looked a class act at times

Was tough for him and Josh first half with Sheff Utd swamping then with pass and move but they dug in and both blossomed second half

But for Pack to be so brave and composed on the ball after the Blackburn game I Thought was admirable

Take a bow skipper

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought today he struggled to impact the game, but that was more to how Utd set up and played, rather that Pack playing poorly.

He did make a couple of outstanding passes, one to FD9 was sublime.

He didn’t have a massive eye catching game but I watched him for a fair period and he was the one constantly looking for the ball and brave on it

It was more about his bravery on the ball having been caught against Blackburn that I thought the impressive aspect 

I thought he did ok today, but he’s been better. He had to do something different today because of the tactical setup, I’d rather he got on the ball higher up the pitch so his passes affect the game. He’s been watching too many Andrea Pirlo videos and fancies himself as our deep lying playmaker, unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of numbers in midfield that allow him to do that. We got cb’s who can pass the ball into midfield now Marlon, stop taking it off them and get up the pitch and do some damage with your vision and passing!

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Also, did a lot of talking and coaching with Da Silva, Eliasson and Kelly, when we had breaks in play in the first half. Proper Captains role today.

That was very noticeable today. Does it in a positive way too not a screaming or accusatory way. He has really stepped up this season in his leadership role and I have to say he has stepped up his game too. Though the leadership part has been a massive leap

2 minutes ago, WesM said:

I thought he did ok today, but he’s been better. He had to do something different today because of the tactical setup, I’d rather he got on the ball higher up the pitch so his passes affect the game. He’s been watching too many Andrea Pirlo videos and fancies himself as our deep lying playmaker, unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of numbers in midfield that allow him to do that. We got cb’s who can pass the ball into midfield now Marlon, stop taking it off them and get up the pitch and do some damage with your vision and passing!

That’s what LJ wants him to do though Wes

The two cbs should split with Marlon dropping in 

Two full backs push on giving outlet options and leaves us with 3 in MP AW and Kalas who are comfortable on ball to work their way out

Pack said in his interview he enjoys it because he has so many options

When we are playing well he does , but our  movement off the ball and our depth of options is poorat times IMHO  and I’d say his options are limited to say the least 

5 minutes ago, WesM said:

Serious question.

Do you  think he turns up on a Saturday and makes a decision himself to play like that or do you think that's the way the manger has asked him to play?   

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Serious question.

Do you  think he turns up on a Saturday and makes a decision himself to play like that or do you think that's the way the manger has asked him to play?   

No, granted he’s playing under instruction from the manager so fair enough. The point I was trying to make is that I believe his effectiveness and threat is nullified coming so deep, as the ‘options’ talked about by other invariably involve him knocking it sideways. When he’s got on the ball higher up the pitch, I think he’s been more effective. I see a huge influence in LJ the player on Marlon.

Hey @RedDave, in the most constructive and non-confrontational way possible, I’d be interested to hear you thoughts on Pack. I recall we discussed him maybe 6 months ago and you thought he was well down the pecking order of our best midfielders. I sense his stock has risen since then.

Also - FYI you were quoted in the i newspaper today as part of their weekly “what fans are saying about their club” feature. Direct quote lifted from here about the formation we should use today.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s what LJ wants him to do though Wes

The two cbs should split with Marlon dropping in 

Two full backs push on giving outlet options and leaves us with 3 in MP AW and Kalas who are comfortable on ball to work their way out

Pack said in his interview he enjoys it because he has so many options

When we are playing well he does , but our  movement off the ball and our depth of options is poorat times IMHO  and I’d say his options are limited to say the least 

Accepted, but then, when, and we have done a few times this season already, we give the ball away in silly positions,, we are exposed as the cb’s are out of position and the full backs have buggered off.

If it was flint and baker, I’d say fair enough, but Kalas and Webster can play. It’s not a massive thing, just little observations. ?

26 minutes ago, WesM said:

It’s the role LJ has given him. They were both on bbc twentymans show last Monday and it was the first question that was asked. He explained he plays that role and can see the whole of the pitch and dictate things from there. His best position imo. 

41 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

I do like his disguised passes which he plays really well . Played a great one into kelly in the 2nd half ..

The Kelly pass was awesome. He's been doing it more and more for the past 12 months, so I'm always thinking he'll probably try a reverse pass. But even that one surprised me!

42 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hey @RedDave, in the most constructive and non-confrontational way possible, I’d be interested to hear you thoughts on Pack. I recall we discussed him maybe 6 months ago and you thought he was well down the pecking order of our best midfielders. I sense his stock has risen since then.

Also - FYI you were quoted in the i newspaper today as part of their weekly “what fans are saying about their club” feature. Direct quote lifted from here about the formation we should use today.

I think it was more like nearly a year ago and I dont think I was wrong then. He improved hugely 18 months ago from the player that joined and he has come on again hugely in the last year. The United game was massive for his self belief I reckon. He now controls games which he didnt used to do. One could see the player he could become I found him incredibly frustrating. He is now ahead of Korey Smith for me and anyone who knows me will know I am Smith’s biggest fan.

Pack is very nearly Premier League level. Just needs to not have dodgy 20 minute spells here and there. Blackburn and QPR two cases in point.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

I think it was more like nearly a year ago and I dont think I was wrong then. He improved hugely 18 months ago from the player that joined and he has come on again hugely in the last year. The United game was massive for his self belief I reckon. He now controls games which he didnt used to do. One could see the player he could become I found him incredibly frustrating. He is now ahead of Korey Smith for me and anyone who knows me will know I am Smith’s biggest fan.

Pack is very nearly Premier League level. Just needs to not have dodgy 20 minute spells here and there. Blackburn and QPR two cases in point.

Nice one Dave, appreciate your reply. I would agree with all of the above!

• Admin

And a brief word for his partner in midfield, Josh Brownhill. He’s really stepping up to this CM role, the interplay between himself and our other players all over the park is instrumental to the way we played. I was pretty concerned when Korey got his injury but if pressed i’d now say Pack/Brownhill is my preferred midfield 2. ? Korey will now have to develop himself to get back in this side when he returns from his injury.

6 hours ago, Ian M said:

And a brief word for his partner in midfield, Josh Brownhill. He’s really stepping up to this CM role, the interplay between himself and our other players all over the park is instrumental to the way we played. I was pretty concerned when Korey got his injury but if pressed i’d now say Pack/Brownhill is my preferred midfield 2. ? Korey will now have to develop himself to get back in this side when he returns from his injury.

Indeed. The worry is, after losing our three best players in the summer, that Brownhill, Pack and Kelly are the next trio to be eyed up and poached.  And they will keep leaving until we get promoted!

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Indeed. The worry is, after losing our three best players in the summer, that Brownhill, Pack and Kelly are the next trio to be eyed up and poached.  And they will keep leaving until we get promoted!

Hopefully the scouting/networking/contacts that saw us bring in the likes of Kalas, Webster, Wiemann etc will be in place and we'll make millions and bring in quality replacements. Of course as the likes of the Gas have found out, if you keep selling your better players it will catch up with you eventually. I suggest we put our worries to bed by getting promoted!

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

When we are playing well he does , but our  movement off the ball and our depth of options is poorat times IMHO

I made this point yesterday (again)  Sheff's movement was excellent most of the game, where (apart from the closest options) ours was quite poor. Hopefully it will improve as we have a team full of players who are comfortable on the ball. I'll take the chance to mention Brownhill, I love him in centre Midfield, good on the ball always happy to take it and runs with it well. Good foil for Pack.

8 hours ago, Ian M said:

Definitely taking on that "available man" role that Korey would play and his Manager played himself. He seems to be everywhere to support the player on the ball.

17 hours ago, Ian M said:

Looks like Korey wasn’t quite 100% to start the season, but I still think LJ had decided that MP and JB were gonna be his chosen two this season.  Giving Marlon the captaincy was a great decision and may have been key in getting him to sign another contract, along with the captaincy probably went a start every game too.

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Marlon has shown a good capacity to improve each year. He has reached a level that I didn't believe possible three years ago.

He wants to learn....that’s why he keeps improving.  You see him doing more of the good things and less of the bad things each season.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like Korey wasn’t quite 100% to start the season, but I still think LJ had decided that MP and JB were gonna be his chosen two this season.  Giving Marlon the captaincy was a great decision and may have been key in getting him to sign another contract, along with the captaincy probably went a start every game too.

He wants to learn....that’s why he keeps improving.  You see him doing more of the good things and less of the bad things each season.

I think Marlon is also benefitting from the other senior players leaving and is revelling in being that senior player. For me he was always a little in Flint's shadow previously, roomie and all that. It was so good to see him managing the younger players in the last 10mins on Saturday, for instance when one of them was rushing to take a throw by the Lansdown / South Stand corner he did the calm down gesture and when we scored he was clearly getting the message across to focus when we restarted whilst the rest of the team were still celebrating. 

Archived