IGNORED

SL interview

hoxton casual

Just watched what looked like an extract from a longer interview, talking about the training ground and commercial position of the various teams in BS. What a calm focused visionary he is. Determined to put Bristol on the map in with solid commercial planning, backed by a vision of what sport can do for urban development. We are very lucky indeed. Needs to sort the sun protection out though, red as a beetroot.  

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

but he also likes rugby so is a bit of a dick (think some)

How rude.

I would prefer it if he was trying to emulate the more usual single football club model rather than Barcelona's multi-sport approach but the Lansdown family's involvement has clearly (IMHO) been massively beneficial to Bristol City FC in terms of financial stability, facilities and on-field success.

The main complaint from some remains that the club has lost some of its authenticity with corporatism and professionalism replacing the locals' club of terracing and the full medical facilities being Buster Footman and his magic sponge.

And yes most of us do miss those days but carrying on in that vein would see us slide down and even out of the leagues as has happened at Rovers; still with terracing, still getting wet when it rains, still training on school pitches.

Things change; the new pushes out the old.  Without the Lansdown family involvement I think our position would be very similar to that of Rovers with a future of shuttling between Divs three and four and zero chance of ever playing in top league again. 

As fans we take what we're given and would still be supporting if that was the position and there would be many positive aspects to life in the lower leagues.

But on balance I want us to have our time in the sun again so corporatism and professionalism it is.

If God has a face, it is the face of Stephen Lansdown.

One other way to get Bristol 'on the map' is to wipe Rovers off of it.

That poxy outfit really drags the city down - there must be a way he can fund someone to buy the club, and then disband it (put it out of it's misery, for God's sake)!

Thinking about it, perhaps he's already done this with Wael/ Dwane Sports.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

How rude.

I would prefer it if he was trying to emulate the more usual single football club model rather than Barcelona's multi-sport approach but the Lansdown family's involvement has clearly (IMHO) been massively beneficial to Bristol City FC in terms of financial stability, facilities and on-field success.

The main complaint from some remains that the club has lost some of its authenticity with corporatism and professionalism replacing the locals' club of terracing and the full medical facilities being Buster Footman and his magic sponge.

And yes most of us do miss those days but carrying on in that vein would see us slide down and even out of the leagues as has happened at Rovers; still with terracing, still getting wet when it rains, still training on school pitches.

Things change; the new pushes out the old.  Without the Lansdown family involvement I think our position would be very similar to that of Rovers with a future of shuttling between Divs three and four and zero chance of ever playing in top league again. 

As fans we take what we're given and would still be supporting if that was the position and there would be many positive aspects to life in the lower leagues.

But on balance I want us to have our time in the sun again so corporatism and professionalism it is.

Excellent post EH.      

It’s a shame that not all City appreciate SLs visions for City and of course Bristol Sport.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

How rude.

Its just the way modern football is now, no money = no success.

Obviously im grateful for the investment Steve and his family have put into our club but if it wasn’t him it would probably be another family or billionaire, i still think BCFC are an attractive club for investment with the size of the city and big catchment area. Many clubs around us have benefited from investment, admittedly some by nutjobs but lets not pretend Steve is the messiah. I think it would be fair to say that only really now can we see real progression under his leadership.

16 minutes ago, bris red said:

Obviously im grateful for the investment Steve and his family have put into our club but if it wasn’t him it would probably be another family or billionaire, i still think BCFC are an attractive club for investment with the size of the city and big catchment area. Many clubs around us have benefited from investment, admittedly some by nutjobs but lets not pretend Steve is the messiah. I think it would be fair to say that only really now can we see real progression under his leadership.

I agree with most of this but I think that the Lansdown family (it's not just Steve) is different to another family or billionaire because like Jack Hayward at Wolves and Dave Whelan at Wigan they are not making the investment with the ultimate aim of selling at a big profit as per most of the billionaire owners but because they want to make their club (and in the Lansdowns' case extend that to all Bristol sports and the city of Bristol) more successful.  That is the end in itself; not a big profitable pay day at the end if it all goes well.

Mistakes have been made of course but there is a steady and tangible improvement in the ground, the training facilities, and the on field performance and we are not leveraged up with third party debt like Man Utd.

I know there are fans who don't like what has been done, or aspects of what has been done, and that's okay.  We all think of it as our club and that makes us a bit possessive of it.

But if you want to know what happens without a committed owner who is not looking for a return on their money then you don't have to search very far.  I don't like the misuse of the term messiah but the other lot seem to be following the biblical analogy.

From this:

Queen-Vic-Rovers-celebration.jpg

To being referred to on their MBs as the "fake sheik".

He has made a lot of money and the firm he founded employs a lot of people on a good wage in Bristol. Has put a lot of his time and money back into Bristol and its community. I know he loves Bristol City FC, but I think he loves Bristol as much and the people in it, and really wants to help in any way he can. Wonderful man and wonderful family. His support of the community side of all the teams, and his support of the women's teams is brilliant.  Sorry if I am too gushing, but I find him inspiring. One of my west country business hero's, along with James Dyson. Great men, great visionaries.

Lots of brown noses on here. Under his stewardship, Bristol City decided to completely screw over its most vulnerable fans last year in children and the disabled. He also decided that 130 years of history should be overturned for our rugby friends, stating he will accept dissenters in order to fill the stadium. In other words he is happy to push out long term fans in order to replace them with two new fans. He doesn't care for history or loyalty from fans. If he believed that by getting rid of one long term fan, he could replace them with two new fans, he'd do so in a instant. He's a narcissist who has found 100m for a new basketball complex, but still wants to milk us all for every penny we have, as per my earlier point regarding children and disabled folk. 

I'm not some caveman stuck in the stoneage. I understood that AG needed replacing/updating.  I understand that we have to act with professionalism. I'm also not overly fussed about there being an umbrella company looking after multiple teams. What does annoy me is the complete disregard for loyal fans, and I'm not one to be taken for a ride.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Lots of brown noses on here. Under his stewardship, Bristol City decided to completely screw over its most vulnerable fans last year in children and the disabled. He also decided that 130 years of history should be overturned for our rugby friends, stating he will accept dissenters in order to fill the stadium. In other words he is happy to push out long term fans in order to replace them with two new fans. He doesn't care for history or loyalty from fans. If he believed that by getting rid of one long term fan, he could replace them with two new fans, he'd do so in a instant. He's a narcissist who has found 100m for a new basketball complex, but still wants to milk us all for every penny we have, as per my earlier point regarding children and disabled folk. 

I'm not some caveman stuck in the stoneage. I understood that AG needed replacing/updating.  I understand that we have to act with professionalism. I'm also not overly fussed about there being an umbrella company looking after multiple teams. What does annoy me is the complete disregard for loyal fans, and I'm not one to be taken for a ride.

I'm with you on this WTTJ although I realise we will be heavily outnumbered and no doubt castigated as our view differs!

Oh well, Ill be at Wigan tomorrow still!

2 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

He has made a lot of money and the firm he founded employs a lot of people on a good wage in Bristol. Has put a lot of his time and money back into Bristol and its community. I know he loves Bristol City FC, but I think he loves Bristol as much and the people in it, and really wants to help in any way he can. Wonderful man and wonderful family. His support of the community side of all the teams, and his support of the women's teams is brilliant.  Sorry if I am too gushing, but I find him inspiring. One of my west country business hero's, along with James Dyson. Great men, great visionaries.

This is getting very polarised but I definitely think we have the right owner compared to every other club owner in English football.  I wouldn't even take Chelsea's or Man City's benefactors if offered them.  For those unhappy with the situation, just give Steve Lansdown more time - I honestly think the Bristol Sport model will build Bristol City into a stronger and stronger club.  Our fans will ensure that we never lose our identity and I would expect the fans of Bristol Rugby to do the same.  There's no reason why we can't share a stadium successfully.

(It's not relevant to this discussion but I don't hold James Dyson with anything like the same regard.  But that's nothing to do with Bristol City)

Glad someone said it.

Love SL and what he's done for the club off the pitch in bringing the facilities in to the 20th century, don't love the way he's treated vast swathes of the fanbase.

The nature of forums is that more negative things are said than positives because people feel more inclined to post to complain about something.

I pointed out the positives and noted that there were mistakes because to my mind the positives far outweigh the negatives; and it is depressing to repeatedly see the negative aspects brought up whilst ignoring the positives.

To be honest it reminds me of the old joke:

So a man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that dock out there? Built it myself, hand crafted each piece, and it's the best dock in town! But do they call me "McGregor the dock builder"? No! And you see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain, sleet and scorching weather, but do they call me "McGregor the bridge builder"? No! And you see that pier over there, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me "McGregor the pier builder"? No!"

The old guy looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says:

"but you **** one sheep..."

18 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Glad someone said it.

Love SL and what he's done for the club off the pitch in bringing the facilities in to the 20th century, don't love the way he's treated vast swathes of the fanbase.

Vast swathes?   Touch of Gasitis there.  Don't worry, it is curable.

1 minute ago, cheese said:

Vast swathes?   Touch of Gasitis there.  Don't worry, it is curable.

Are vast swathes of our fanbase not disabled, young, or elderly?

Sorry but I think it's a highly appropriate use of language in this situation.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Are vast swathes of our fanbase not disabled, young, or elderly?

Sorry but I think it's a highly appropriate use of language in this situation.

Given that vast swathes tend to relate to pieces of land, then it's not.  And vast meaning huge numbers.  I'd go with large numbers of people, but vast swathe is both contextually wrong and hyperbole.

Just now, cheese said:

Given that cast swathes tend to relate to pieces of land, then it's not.  And vast meaning huge numbers.  I'd go with large numbers of people, but vast swathe is both contextually wrong and hyperbole.

Couldn't give a **** about semantics to be honest with you mate. Point remains. Not getting in to it again because it's been done to death on here.

5 hours ago, bris red said:

As SL is a Bristolian it’s pleasing to see that at long last he is grasping the chance to leave a lasting sporting legacy in what has been a sporting backwater in this country.

In years to come his vision and legacy could be as significant to Bristol as Isamard Kingdom Brunel’s was in the 19th Century

Could Bristol become one of the major sporting power houses in the world of football, Rugby & Basketball?

One for my grandchildren to answer one day perhaps!

It's a weird sign of the digital age where two sides can be so polarising.

Yes, a lot of people have their nose so far up Lansdown's ass that it makes his tonsils tickle. Bristol is historically a sporting backwater, and as owner of Bristol City he'll be privy to that information. Half the country calls us "Bristol", and outside of it being a lovely place for Londoners to buy expensive property, there aren't many people that give a **** about this city or the teams that play in it, so Lansdown did what I think many Bristolian business owners would do, and that's improve the infrastructure. I think Lansdown is right in that Bristol City can't grow without the rest of sport in Bristol growing, and thankfully the last decade or two has brought a lot of improvements across the board, from football to boxing to swimming. Bristol is on the up, and Lansdown will be hailed as a big part of that if the three teams under his umbrella are successful.

Despite making some smart moves, Lansdown has put more money into the club than the fans, and he's not shy to say it. I think Lansdown wants what's best for the club, but if a handful of fans suffer due to his decisions he won't lose a second of sleep over it. The joy of supporting a local team is that the team is very close to the community and its fans, but in our quest to become a "big" team it feels like the club has lost sight of that. Ultimately, I think this is one of the few areas where the fans have legitimate power, and I hope that the fans will continuously push to fight the issues that elderly and disabled fans have had with the club in the past, whether they've supported the club for years or whether it's their first time.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Very good (and valid points) which a lot of people seem to have forgotten in light of the recent development news.

Varying pros and cons to having Lansdown at the helm, but generally speaking I think the benefits of having at the helm far outweigh the alternative (just look at the sags.....) 

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

I'm with you on this WTTJ although I realise we will be heavily outnumbered and no doubt castigated as our view differs!

Oh well, Ill be at Wigan tomorrow still!

WTTJ I hope I am not a brown nose, as I have nothing to gain by my view, and it is honestly held on the evidence I have to date. Both you and Frenchred hold sincere views and are loyal City fans like me, so I would never castigate you. When a lot of people care about something deeply there are bound to be differing and passionate views. As long as we all support the team through thick and thin, that will ensure our identity survives any changes.

COYR

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

It's a weird sign of the digital age where two sides can be so polarising.

Yes, a lot of people have their nose so far up Lansdown's ass that it makes his tonsils tickle. Bristol is historically a sporting backwater, and as owner of Bristol City he'll be privy to that information. Half the country calls us "Bristol", and outside of it being a lovely place for Londoners to buy expensive property, there aren't many people that give a **** about this city or the teams that play in it, so Lansdown did what I think many Bristolian business owners would do, and that's improve the infrastructure. I think Lansdown is right in that Bristol City can't grow without the rest of sport in Bristol growing, and thankfully the last decade or two has brought a lot of improvements across the board, from football to boxing to swimming. Bristol is on the up, and Lansdown will be hailed as a big part of that if the three teams under his umbrella are successful.

Despite making some smart moves, Lansdown has put more money into the club than the fans, and he's not shy to say it. I think Lansdown wants what's best for the club, but if a handful of fans suffer due to his decisions he won't lose a second of sleep over it. The joy of supporting a local team is that the team is very close to the community and its fans, but in our quest to become a "big" team it feels like the club has lost sight of that. Ultimately, I think this is one of the few areas where the fans have legitimate power, and I hope that the fans will continuously push to fight the issues that elderly and disabled fans have had with the club in the past, whether they've supported the club for years or whether it's their first time.

Can someone explain the issues with elderly and disabled fans? As my father of 88 is still a season ticket holder and I have a severely disabled son, I am very interested in this issue. I have gaps from OTIB, so apologies if I am not up to speed on the issue.

2 hours ago, Xiled said:

This is getting very polarised but I definitely think we have the right owner compared to every other club owner in English football.  I wouldn't even take Chelsea's or Man City's benefactors if offered them.  For those unhappy with the situation, just give Steve Lansdown more time - I honestly think the Bristol Sport model will build Bristol City into a stronger and stronger club.  Our fans will ensure that we never lose our identity and I would expect the fans of Bristol Rugby to do the same.  There's no reason why we can't share a stadium successfully.

(It's not relevant to this discussion but I don't hold James Dyson with anything like the same regard.  But that's nothing to do with Bristol City)

Bristol rugby have already lost a certain amount of their identity, half their shirt is now red! 

Plus, they are now the Bristol Bears! ??

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

That poxy outfit really drags the city down - there must be a way he can fund someone to buy the club, and then disband it (put it out of it's misery, for God's sake)!

I think if you met him he would look like you.

Dont be disappointed.

24 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

WTTJ I hope I am not a brown nose, as I have nothing to gain by my view, and it is honestly held on the evidence I have to date. Both you and Frenchred hold sincere views and are loyal City fans like me, so I would never castigate you. When a lot of people care about something deeply there are bound to be differing and passionate views. As long as we all support the team through thick and thin, that will ensure our identity survives any changes.

COYR

I think the 'support the team through thick and thin' concept is actually not always the best idea. There is, in my opinion, a difference between supporting the club, and supporting the team, in as much as the team is only 30 odd players in a club of tens of thousands. I will always support this club, but right now I won't go to AG, and I won't support the team, for the simple reason that I feel that I, and many others are being exploited by the powers that be. Look at other countries. If their owners do something that the fans don't like, they often, simply, don't turn up. However here, at almost every club, not just Bristol City, we MUST support the team. And whilst people blindly support the team, sadly that gives the powers that be a chance to exploit us further, until one day it affects you, and then what?

I understand the draw back to AG. I tried to give up last season but watching the Man U game in the pub was too much for me and I trudged back like an addict. I was able to ditch it again by Ipswich, the first game after the ST price fiasco. But I honestly believe that the best thing for this club, although not necessarily the team, is for SL to be reigned in. 

I can see both sides on the SL polarised views and agree with a lot of both.

i am happy and delighted we have him here and that he continues to pump his own money into a fantastic vision for Ashton and sport in Bristol BUT he needs to have more respect for the average fan and reward loyalty.

I for one would be heavily disappointed not to see an early bird freeze on S/T prices next season irrespective of whether we are 1st or 21st come the end of March AND it is time to reduce the POTD annual increases rapidly AND it is time to stop categorising games and making most of them gold price. Base a price on the current silver band and then get rid of the bandings and stay at a fixed amount no matter who the opposition.

That would be a decent start and ensure ongoing support.

5 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Oh no, it’s not like he’s spent over 100 million on Bristol City, without any return. 

We’ve also got one of the cheaper season tickets, especially for Children. 

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

51 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think if you met him he would look like you.

Dont be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gx1Pv02w3Q

What if SL was one of us, just a slob like one of us...

Archived