IGNORED

Pack....deserving his own thread

Lee0

3 hours ago, Lee0 said:

I thought he had his best 45 minutes of the season 1st half on Sunday due to him pushing forward 10 yds

No he didn't.

Here endeth the lesson as if, as with your other posts re Pack, you stand by what you write there's no further point in debate.

18 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Obviously Lee0 can be just as angry/abusive on a Tuesday afternoon as he can be at 3.23 a.m. on a Sunday!

Worryingly for someone who must be around 50+ (and much younger than me!), he seems to have a thing about 10 year olds, school lessons and school bells. Freud would probably have diagnosed some sort of repressed childhood incident that has prevented him from moving on in his life whereas I'd just say he was a complete knob with the brain cells of an amoeba who spouts a load of carp about football ......

I think he is good value.

He's a coach don't cha know. 

A great communicator.

A listener.

A teacher

A expert power

Comes across like he would struggle to get snails to slide.

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Can somebody produce some stats to reveal how much schooling Lee Duh has.

I think the results will be on the … Low side 

Very low.

I’ve been working on the stats from Sunday. I’ll post later once I’ve finished work. 

After I’ve watched the game back twice, and based on the stats I’ve analysed too, I am now of the opinion that Pack was our best player on Sunday. 

Its actually amazing what you witness in person and get influenced by the crowd and what you see once you analyse in the cold light of day. At the time I thought Pack played ok. On watching it back twice and being as critical as I can, he was our best player. 

5 hours ago, June Bailey said:

I strongly maintain that Pack is not the best passer of the ball. He is entrusted with that role as LJ will simply not put anyone else in there. He has more than a few bad games this season but will not be dropped. That's said, I do think he is a decent CM experiencing a dip in form. Martin O'Neill seems to be playing COD in a central position Vs USA/Poland and Callum was arguably MOTM. I also think Eliasson has potential to play more centrally - he is fast, very skilful and always looks to go forward. LJ seems completely wedded to the MP/JB partnership

I still maintain that Pack is the best passer at the club. 

If you don’t think Pack is, who in your opinion is the best passer in the club? 

Your points about O’Dowda & Eliasson, I must admit I find it a bit out there. I honestly can’t see either of those 2 being capable of being the midfield cog. They are both wingers. Their skill set is to receive the ball and look for an opportunity to dribble or cross. As a deep central midfielder they would need to be confident receiving the ball facing their own goal with pressure from opponents. They’d need to tick over possession from left to right, forward to back. They’d need to stabilise the base, screening the cb’s, winning headers and tackles and have the vision and composure to pop the ball off after winning a tackle, not just whack it clear. 

I honestly can’t see O’Dowda or eliasson having that skill set. 

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Your points about O’Dowda & Eliasson, I must admit I find it a bit out there. I honestly can’t see either of those 2 being capable of being the midfield cog. They are both wingers. Their skill set is to receive the ball and look for an opportunity to dribble or cross. As a deep central midfielder they would need to be confident receiving the ball facing their own goal with pressure from opponents. They’d need to tick over possession from left to right, forward to back. They’d need to stabilise the base, screening the cb’s, winning headers and tackles and have the vision and composure to pop the ball off after winning a tackle, not just whack it clear. 

Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane would seem to disagree with you 

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

Depends if you mean overall passing game, statistically speaking this season Brownhill is (https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/182/Show/England-Bristol-City). However, Pack has a higher long ball success rate and pass completion whilst Brownhill has higher 'key passes' which I think on this website gives him the edge.

I do agree with you that Pack is better though. 

13 minutes ago, June Bailey said:

Martin O’Neill and Roy Keane would seem to disagree with you 

Not at all. Did they play COD as a deep lying midfielder, responsible for seeing the ball in the majority of the phases of play, or was he used centrally to push forward and spend the majority of his time in possession just behind the strikers? 

COD would absolutely not be able to perform the role Pack performs. 

Is your answer to the question of the best passer O’Dowda then? 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Depends if you mean overall passing game, as statistically speaking this season Brownhill is (https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/182/Show/England-Bristol-City). However, Pack has a higher long ball success rate and pass completion whilst Brownhill has higher 'key passes' which I think on this website gives him the edge.

I do agree with you that Pack is better though. 

Exactly. Depends what you’re looking for as a ‘passer’. Pack has a higher range of passing and a more accurate ability to pass over distance. Brownhill mainly operates in short 5-10 yard one-twos. 

Our CB’s would likely have the highest ratio of accurate short passes as they clock them up knocking it to each other across the back, but that doesn’t mean they are better ball-players than Pack, who had the full range of ability. 

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not at all. Did they play COD as a deep lying midfielder, responsible for seeing the ball in the majority of the phases of play, or was he used centrally to push forward and spend the majority of his time in possession just behind the strikers? 

COD would absolutely not be able to perform the role Pack performs. 

Is your answer to the question of the best passer O’Dowda then? 

Harry, no mate. He is used by ROI in exactly the same position and from what I have seen, he's done a great job. We agree to disagree. Marlon needs a rest and after the international break I expect to see COD used more centrally

Can I just ask...... for those suggesting COD replace Pack

Are you going to have anyone responsible for shielding the two centre halves ?

Who would be responsible for providing the outlet option from Centre Halves ?

Would the full backs still be expected to push on as they currently are , or are we changing the whole way we are set up ?

Im curious about the plan beyond simply writing COD instead of Pack on the team sheet ?

13 minutes ago, June Bailey said:

Harry, no mate. He is used by ROI in exactly the same position and from what I have seen, he's done a great job. We agree to disagree. Marlon needs a rest and after the international break I expect to see COD used more centrally

!? When has COD played a holding role in midfield for the Republic? I have watched him several times for ROI and he played a attacking role.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Brownhill mainly operates in short 5-10 yard one-twos. 

His passes are almost exclusively lateral or backwards - same reason most goalkeepers head up the completed passing stats. Brownhill is a useful 'negative' player who disrupts and breaks up play and quickly gets rid to others more creative though, Pack aside, in our case that's somewhat problematic.

7 hours ago, Lee0 said:

So which games didn't they play a 4 ?.... back up your point that they did, I said I wouldn't comment on games I didn't see, you show us all the game that he did play in a 5 !......thought not, another keyboard warrior.

Ive been schooled by someone who has a different opinion ? Is that the criteria for schooling ? 

I blamed MP for slow play and bad passing which was the (for me) cause of lack of movement.... someone blamed lack of movement for his slow play and bad passing....that's fine, no problem, just things seen differently.

stop being a psycophant, remove your tongue from Harry and prove YOUR point.

Look at CB Hull game.

7 hours ago, Lee0 said:

keyboard warrior.

Yes you are.

6 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

!? When has COD played a holding role in midfield for the Republic? I have watched him several times for ROI and he played a attacking role.

He had Hendrick and Hourihane with him and was indeed an attacking midfielder - certainly not the defensive / holding one

As promised earlier, I've put together a stat pack, having watched the game back twice and noted all passes, tackles, headers etc of every BCFC player.

I have concluded that Marlon Pack has been perceived to have had a poor game vs Sheff Weds, and I believe this is down to a negative atmosphere that emanates around the ground whenever he misplaces a single pass.  Having watched back twice, and paid close attention to every possession, I believe that Pack was the most influential player we had on Sunday.

Here are the cold, hard facts :

Short Passing
Pack made 64 out of 66 short passes.  These were not the perceived sideways and backwards passes, there was a healthy mix of ball retention with lateral passes, but plenty of forward thinking, attacking, incisive passes - on 3 occasions his short and quick first time passing took at least 2 and sometimes more defenders out of the game and released a teammate in to an attacking area.  No other player had more than 1 'key' attacking pass.

For comparison, Brownhill made 36 out of 42 short passes.  The 6 occasions he gave the ball away were all sloppy, unpressured and basic passing errors.  They were not attempting difficult, attacking passes, they were simple mistakes.
Paterson made 37 out of 37 short passes.  His were often dropping deep into midfield to collect a forward pass and lay this off backwards or lateral to retain possession.  Paterson was very influential in our ball retention and moving the opposition around.
The centre-backs both fared well with the short game, Baker 38/38, Webster 42/43.  As did the fullbacks, Hunt 27/28, Kelly 32/34.
Da Silva was 25/29 and gave away some sloppy easy passes.  Taylor was 20/23.  Famara 9/10.  Cod 5/6, Weimann 4/6, Watkins 3/4.

Longer Passing
Pack completed 6 out of 9 longer passes, a couple of these were good attacking passes that had the defence turned, whilst the others were accurate diagonals/switch passes.
Brownhill, the midfield partner, attempted Zero longer passes.
Webster attempted the most, completing 5 out of 15.  Baker completed just 1 of 9.
Paterson tried 4 longer passes and connected with just 1.  Kelly was the only other player with a decent return, 3 out of 4.

Heading
Pack made 5 successful headers, more than anyone aside from Webster & Baker (both 10) and Kelly (5).
The poorest return for aerial challenges was Famara, winning 3 of his 6 aerial battles.  Hunt, Brownhill & Paterson all made 4 successful headers.  Da Silva 3, Taylor & Watkins 2.

Dribbles
I have considered a dribble to be where the player has carried the ball a significant distance forwards, whilst either drawing in a defender or attempting to beat a defender - either way, making a success of pulling an opposition player out of shape and committed.
Pack made 2 out of 2 successful dribbles, in both instances beating a man and making a successful forward pass after.
The most dribbles were from Kelly, who carried the ball forward and drew in opposition on 7 occasions (and yet he's been criticised for not playing forwards!)
Webster made 6, Da Silva 4, Brownhill 2.  Paterson was 4 out of 5.  COD 2 of 3.  Hunt 1 of 2.  Taylor & Baker 1.

Crosses
I've included crosses not just from the by-line or lateral to the box, but also a number of the occasions where we put the ball into the box from deeper positions too.  I have also included corners - of which Paterson took 3 and Brownhill 2.
Paterson had the most success, completing 3 out of 6 crosses.
Da Silva made 2 out of 5, Hunt 2 out of 7.   Brownhill's crossing was rather poor, successful in just 2 of 10 attempts.
Watkins 1 from 1, Kelly was 0 from 5, Taylor 0 from 2, Webster & COD 0 from 1.

Interceptions/Blocks
Pack & Brownhill both made 1 significant block of a cross into the box.
Webster made the most blocks or interceptions at 5.  Da Silva was next with 3.  Baker 2, Hunt, Kelly & Paterson all 1.

Tackles
I have considered not just the dispossession of the opponent, but also included where the player was first to a loose ball which was a 50/50.
Pack made 10 tackles / wins of the ball.  Kelly also made 10.
Hunt made 5, Webster, Baker & Da Silva all 3.  Brownhill, Paterson & Taylor all made 1.

Miscontrol
This is the basic error of receiving a controllable pass and losing possession.
Brownhill topped the charts for these unforced errors, with 7 incidents where he failed to get control of the football and lost it.
Da Silva and Famara both lost it 5 times.  Taylor 2, Paterson & Weimann 1.

To summarise, Pack made the most successful short passes, the most successful long passes, won the most tackles, won the most headers (aside from the 2 cb's), made the most 'key' attacking passes, made a couple of successful dribbles and made zero miscontrols of the ball.
This was better than any other player.  He won the ball back more than anyone, passed the ball better than anyone and attempted the most 'creative' efforts.

Pack lost the ball on 6 occasions, thus :

8 mins - the ball ricocheted to him on the edge of the box and he was immediately tackled by an opponent.
21 mins - the ball was cleared from a throw and Pack was retreating toward half way with a bouncing ball, he looked to the right wing where Brownhill was and then delayed the pass due to the bounce.  He then tried to make the pass wide to Brownhill, which was difficult to execute as he was trying to hook it back over his left shoulder, 20 yards wide.  It went out for a throw, and he should have just held it and turned and kept possession.  There was a huge groan from the crowd.
31 mins - he brings the ball 20 yards forward and attempts a chip over the top of the defence to Taylor, but its overhit and goes to the keeper.  There are loud moans from the crowd.
45 mins - a cross is cleared and comes to Da Silva, who exchanges passes with Kelly and then Da Silva squares it to Pack.  Pack attempts to knock the ball beyond the defence into the left wing for the onrushing attacker, but he overhits it and it goes out for a throw.  It was a forced ball and unnecessary, but on the stroke of half-time it was an attempt to try to turn the defence, but not well executed.  There were very loud moans from the crowd.
73 mins - Pack collects a clearance from Weds, and tries to play a square ball wide to Hunt.  It was not executed well and the Weds player intercepted and they broke away to put a cross in the box.  The crowd were apoplectic with rage!
96 mins - Pack tries to loft a ball over the corner of the box where Weimann has made a run, but the defender heads it clear.  You can actually hear a couple of boos fro the crowd!

6 occasions where Pack lost the ball, a couple that were quite sloppy, but 3 of which he was attempting to turn the defence.  On every single occasion, the crowd give him pelters, and yet when someone like Brownhill gave the ball away (all unforced errors) on 13 occasions (+8 crosses to no-one), there was not a peep.

Pack was the best City player on the pitch v Weds, probably followed by Kelly, Paterson, Webster then Hunt.  Da Silva did ok but did make a few unforced errors, Baker got turned a couple of times, Taylor was energetic but ineffective, Famara was awful, and Brownhill was the worst player on the pitch, losing the ball on more occasions than anyone, twice in very dangerous positions.

Conclusion - Pack has not been anywhere near as consistent this season and had definitely had 3 poor games, with another couple where he's been a bit undercooked.  But his game vs Wednesday was not a poor display, so it feels to me that, having been a bit of a target a couple of seasons ago, a lot of fans are jumping at the chance to start hammering him again.  Fine to hammer him for his displays vs Roth & Wig, but there can be no justified criticism of his performance vs Weds.

I'd imagine those who are quick to jump on him won't read all of this or will dismiss it as 'stats'.  Well, it's not just 'stats', I've watched twice in the cold light of day with no 'game-emotion' and I've presented the facts.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

As promised earlier, I've put together a stat pack, having watched the game back twice and noted all passes, tackles, headers etc of every BCFC player.

I have concluded that Marlon Pack has been perceived to have had a poor game vs Sheff Weds, and I believe this is down to a negative atmosphere that emanates around the ground whenever he misplaces a single pass.  Having watched back twice, and paid close attention to every possession, I believe that Pack was the most influential player we had on Sunday.

Here are the cold, hard facts :

Short Passing
Pack made 64 out of 66 short passes.  These were not the perceived sideways and backwards passes, there was a healthy mix of ball retention with lateral passes, but plenty of forward thinking, attacking, incisive passes - on 3 occasions his short and quick first time passing took at least 2 and sometimes more defenders out of the game and released a teammate in to an attacking area.  No other player had more than 1 'key' attacking pass.

For comparison, Brownhill made 36 out of 42 short passes.  The 6 occasions he gave the ball away were all sloppy, unpressured and basic passing errors.  They were not attempting difficult, attacking passes, they were simple mistakes.
Paterson made 37 out of 37 short passes.  His were often dropping deep into midfield to collect a forward pass and lay this off backwards or lateral to retain possession.  Paterson was very influential in our ball retention and moving the opposition around.
The centre-backs both fared well with the short game, Baker 38/38, Webster 42/43.  As did the fullbacks, Hunt 27/28, Kelly 32/34.
Da Silva was 25/29 and gave away some sloppy easy passes.  Taylor was 20/23.  Famara 9/10.  Cod 5/6, Weimann 4/6, Watkins 3/4.

Longer Passing
Pack completed 6 out of 9 longer passes, a couple of these were good attacking passes that had the defence turned, whilst the others were accurate diagonals/switch passes.
Brownhill, the midfield partner, attempted Zero longer passes.
Webster attempted the most, completing 5 out of 15.  Baker completed just 1 of 9.
Paterson tried 4 longer passes and connected with just 1.  Kelly was the only other player with a decent return, 3 out of 4.

Heading
Pack made 5 successful headers, more than anyone aside from Webster & Baker (both 10) and Kelly (5).
The poorest return for aerial challenges was Famara, winning 3 of his 6 aerial battles.  Hunt, Brownhill & Paterson all made 4 successful headers.  Da Silva 3, Taylor & Watkins 2.

Dribbles
I have considered a dribble to be where the player has carried the ball a significant distance forwards, whilst either drawing in a defender or attempting to beat a defender - either way, making a success of pulling an opposition player out of shape and committed.
Pack made 2 out of 2 successful dribbles, in both instances beating a man and making a successful forward pass after.
The most dribbles were from Kelly, who carried the ball forward and drew in opposition on 7 occasions.
Webster made 6, Da Silva 4, Brownhill 2.  Paterson was 4 out of 5.  COD 2 of 3.  Hunt 1 of 2.  Taylor & Baker 1.

Crosses
I've included crosses not just from the by-line or lateral to the box, but also a number of the occasions where we put the ball into the box from deeper positions too.  I have also included corners - of which Paterson took 3 and Brownhill 2.
Paterson had the most success, completing 3 out of 6 crosses.
Da Silva made 2 out of 5, Hunt 2 out of 7.   Brownhill's crossing was rather poor, successful in just 2 of 10 attempts.
Watkins 1 from 1, Kelly was 0 from 5, Taylor 0 from 2, Webster & COD 0 from 1.

Interceptions/Blocks
Pack & Brownhill both made 1 significant block of a cross into the box.
Webster made the most blocks or interceptions at 5.  Da Silva was next with 3.  Baker 2, Hunt, Kelly & Paterson all 1.

Tackles
I have considered not just the dispossession of the opponent, but also included where the player was first to a loose ball which was a 50/50.
Pack made 10 tackles / wins of the ball.  Kelly also made 10.
Hunt made 5, Webster, Baker & Da Silva all 3.  Brownhill, Paterson & Taylor all made 1.

Miscontrol
This is the basic error of receiving a controllable pass and losing possession.
Brownhill topped the charts for these unforced errors, with 7 incidents where he failed to get control of the football and lost it.
Da Silva and Famara both lost it 5 times.  Taylor 2, Paterson & Weimann 1.

To summarise, Pack made the most successful short passes, the most successful long passes, won the most tackles, won the most headers (aside from the 2 cb's), made the most 'key' attacking passes, made a couple of successful dribbles and made zero miscontrols of the ball.
This was better than any other player.  He won the ball back more than anyone, passed the ball better than anyone and attempted the most 'creative' efforts.

Pack lost the ball on 6 occasions, thus :

8 mins - the ball ricocheted to him on the edge of the box and he was immediately tackled by an opponent.
21 mins - the ball was cleared from a throw and Pack was retreating toward half way with a bouncing ball, he looked to the right wing where Brownhill was and then delayed the pass due to the bounce.  He then tried to make the pass wide to Brownhill, which was difficult to execute as he was trying to hook it back over his left shoulder, 20 yards wide.  It went out for a throw, and he should have just held it and turned and kept possession.  There was a huge groan from the crowd.
31 mins - he brings the ball 20 yards forward and attempts a chip over the top of the defence to Taylor, but its overhit and goes to the keeper.  There are loud moans from the crowd.
45 mins - a cross is cleared and comes to Da Silva, who exchanges passes with Kelly and then Da Silva squares it to Pack.  Pack attempts to knock the ball beyond the defence into the left wing for the onrushing attacker, but he overhits it and it goes out for a throw.  It was a forced ball and unnecessary, but on the stroke of half-time it was an attempt to try to turn the defence, but not well executed.  There were very loud moans from the crowd.
73 mins - Pack collects a clearance from Weds, and tries to play a square ball wide to Hunt.  It was not executed well and the Weds player intercepted and they broke away to put a cross in the box.  The crowd were apoplectic with rage!
96 mins - Pack tries to loft a ball over the corner of the box where Weimann has made a run, but the defender heads it clear.  You can actually hear a couple of boos fro the crowd!

6 occasions where Pack lost the ball, a couple that were quite sloppy, but 3 of which he was attempting to turn the defence.  On every single occasion, the crowd give him pelters, and yet when someone like Brownhill gave the ball away (all unforced errors) on 13 occasions, there was not a peep.

Pack was the best City player on the pitch v Weds, probably followed by Kelly, Paterson, Webster then Hunt.  Da Silva did ok but did make a few unforced errors, Baker got turned a couple of times, Taylor was energetic but ineffective, Famara was awful, and Brownhill was the worst player on the pitch, losing the ball on more occasions than anyone, twice in very dangerous positions.

Conclusion - Pack has not been anywhere near as consistent this season and had definitely had 3 poor games, with another couple where he's been a bit undercooked.  But his game vs Wednesday was not a poor display, so it feels to me that, having been a bit of a target a couple of seasons ago, a lot of fans are jumping at the chance to start hammering him again.  Fine to hammer him for his displays vs Roth & Wig, but there can be no justified criticism of his performance vs Weds.

I'd imagine those who are quick to jump on him won't read all of this or will dismiss it as 'stats'.  Well, it's not just 'stats', I've watched twice in the cold light of day with no 'game-emotion' and I've presented the facts.

Wow

A lot of work there Harry

Not easy to do

Very interesting and a good read 

Gonna reread a few times and take it all in

Appreciated by me for one

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is that all he did ?

Rubbish

Send him to Aberystwyth on loan forthwith

Having re read and digested all this information I make no apologies in again saying what a fantastic piece of work @Harry

Fascinsting

I know the work involved in doing this , and the way you set out the facts combined with excellent explanations is , in my view incredibly impressive

Can see why you were utilised doing what you are / were 

Great work @Harry, much appreciated.

I haven’t seen the game, not even any highlights.  I haven’t even watched the EFL stuff which I do religiously....I think I'm on my own kind of International Break!!!! ?

Interesting stuff re Brownhill.  I like him, but I need more from him, especially past the half way line.  I don’t think he is very composed at the crucial times...bit rushed, like another of the young’uns, O’Dowda.  

Yes interesting and I actually thought pack was one of the better players on Sunday.

i would also just like to say that COD has done absolutely nothing in the 2.5 years he has been at the club bar a few games to justify even being a regular starter in his favoured position let alone being considered as even remotely good enough for one of the most important roles on the pitch.

Excellent analysis by Harry.

I have long been puzzled by Marlon Pack's critics. They seem to neither understand the role that he is asked to play nor realise how well he most often plays it. If he was always 100% on top of his game as some people expect, he'd already be in the Premiership.

From what I saw Sunday there are certainly a number of players ahead of Marlon Pack on any list of those who deserve criticism.

2 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Excellent analysis by Harry.

I have long been puzzled by Marlon Pack's critics. They seem to neither understand the role that he is asked to play nor realise how well he most often plays it. If he was always 100% on top of his game as some people expect, he'd already be in the Premiership.

From what I saw Sunday there are certainly a number of players ahead of Marlon Pack on any list of those who deserve criticism.

Because its not sexy. Keeping the ball in British footballing culture is undervalued by fans. The at times rabidly opening poster fails to conceded that keeping the ball, re-setting possession in any appropriate direction will at times slow play down … Its part of the required qualities of the role Marlon Pack plays. 

@Harry great post.

Archived