IGNORED

Wigan goal

Super

Defensively it was a total shambles, Webster didn't do enough to cut out the cross, Kalas didn't get up high enough and to be to honest had Powell not scored the guy behind him who should have been marked by the defensively naive Hunt would have had a tap in because Hunt had totally lost him, something that happens all to often with him.

But yet again it was a long ball out from their keeper over our centre midfielders, it was just all to easy.

And yet again our centre midfield have proved that they are unfit for purpose during this game, we were being cut to ribbons by a very average team, very poor.

And what about Webster? pretty much clean through near the end, didn't shoot but decided to pass it to the corpse of a Wigan player lying on the ground, beyond bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It's beyond him by the time it's headable. He was a little slow to track Powell but it was a quality cross. Interesting there's no mention whatsoever of Kelly, whose job it was to stop the cross coming in?

Wasn't Kelly taken out of position by challenging Garner for the header? It's what gave Windass the pocket of space to get the cross in. 

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Wasn't Kelly taken out of position by challenging Garner for the header? It's what gave Windass the pocket of space to get the cross in. 

If you vacate your position as a defender, you want to win the ball... The player filling in (can't remember who it was, Pack?) didn't get close enough either, but still, neither mentioned.

4 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

It's beyond him by the time it's headable. He was a little slow to track Powell but it was a quality cross. Interesting there's no mention whatsoever of Kelly, whose job it was to stop the cross coming in?

Not correct Robin. Kelly had challenged the initial header. Once Windass picked up the loose ball it was Webster who should have been acting as the left back, as both Kelly and Pack were inside him covering. Webster is the one responsible for closing down the cross. Plus Paterson’s starting position from the free kick was wrong meaning he was unable to offer defensive support. 2 yards closer and he is able to affect the cross. 

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not correct Robin. Kelly had challenged the initial header. Once Windass picked up the loose ball it was Webster who should have been acting as the left back, as both Kelly and Pack were inside him covering. Webster is the one responsible for closing down the cross. Plus Paterson’s starting position from the free kick was wrong meaning he was unable to offer defensive support. 2 yards closer and he is able to affect the cross. 

Kelly is the one who should have won the initial header, or not vacated his position. If he wasn't our golden boy it wouldn't be so hard to at least mention his part in the responsibility for the goal instead of hammering Webster.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Kelly is the one who should have won the initial header, or not vacated his position. If he wasn't our golden boy it wouldn't be so hard to at least mention his part in the responsibility for the goal instead of hammering Webster.

Not for me mate. How can you say Kelly vacated his position? He went up for the header with Garner, which basically neither of them won and it dropped in behind. Garner is very good in the air and is a difficult opponent even for the best centre halves in this league. 

Once the ball drops in behind him, Webster comes across with Windass. Windass is therefore Webster’s responsibility and Kelly does the right thing which is to immediately move toward the CB position to cover for Webster who’s vacated that. 

Webster is the one who should be closing down the cross. And Paterson. Not Kelly. 

If Kelly is to blame for anything it is giving away the silly free kick in the first place. 

The errors, in order of occurrence are :

Pack playing short free kick rather than hit the box. 

Kelly giving away silly free kick. 

Paterson not getting back an extra 3-4 yards at the free kick. 

Lino not spotting Garner offside. 

Webster not closing down the cross. 

It was a bad day at the office simple as that a few of these players still need time to gel. Lloyd Kelly is fresh out of the academy which no loan experience playing championship football he is 20 years old and learning quicker and has more quality then any other youth player I have ever seen wear the shirt and fans need to understand his inexperience a young player will make mistakes

6 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

well sometimes you have to say thats a good goal. quality early ball... good movement from Powell who guessed/judged the cross and a good header back across the keeper. I know we've all got the old Red specs on but give credit where its due.

Agree, was a very well taken goal from a good cross, and it flat-footed the keeper. 

It was a good cross and header, but very soft defending from us that summed up our overall gutless performance. We should have made it harder for them to cross and the scorer got in front of Kalas too easily. It made Maenpaa look indecisive but I think he was just wrong-footed because he would have been expecting the defender to win the ball.

I'm not sure how accurate my memory is on this, but I think I remember that shortly before the goal we had a free kick in their half that we wasted. Not necessarily something that directly contributed to the goal, but another example of us conceding possession needlessly and giving them impetus.

Archived