IGNORED

Kalas Injury

RedRobin13

He's tough, he'll be back. A similar injury happened to Rory Sloane who is one of our AFL players in Oz, he has had a fractured jaw, depressed cheek bone in the past & it's taken him approx 8 weeks to get back. 

Here's a clip to show the type of player he is, we need more of these.

Ouch. I guess it’s just another battle scar for a defender though. Surprised Watkins came away injury free, it must have hurt them both.

Its pretty amazing what surgeons can do isn’t it, and X-rays have certainly improved. 

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I laughed at your response, but I was serious; I am genuinely intrigued.

Me too !

I wonder whether they may have done it from inside (The mouth) but looking at the x rays that can’t be so

My bet is a incision just under the jawline and out of sight but then I would have expected for them to have shaved his beard

I bet Tomas’s jaw has more screws in it, and is more stable than the Sags gymkana stand 

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I laughed at your response, but I was serious; I am genuinely intrigued.

Bugging me Phil so looked it up

topWhat does the operation involve?

Once you are asleep the fracture sites will be opened up. This involves making a cut on the inside of your mouth through the gum. The broken bones are then put back together and held in place with small metal plates and screws. The gum is stitched back into place with dissolvable stitches that can take a fortnight or even longer to fall out.

During the same operation it is often necessary to place wires or metal braces around your teeth so that elastic bands can be attached to them and guide your bite into the correct position after surgery. Screws inserted into the jawbone above the teeth are occasionally used instead of these wires or metal braces. Any elastic bands are not usually attached until the day after your operation, ie: your jaws will be able to move freely when you wake up from surgery.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Once you are asleep the fracture sites will be opened up. This involves making a cut on the inside of your mouth through the gum. The broken bones are then put back together and held in place with small metal plates and screws. The gum is stitched back into place with dissolvable stitches that can take a fortnight or even longer to fall out.

During the same operation it is often necessary to place wires or metal braces around your teeth so that elastic bands can be attached to them and guide your bite into the correct position after surgery. Screws inserted into the jawbone above the teeth are occasionally used instead of these wires or metal braces. Any elastic bands are not usually attached until the day after your operation, ie: your jaws will be able to move freely when you wake up from surgery.

Wow.

The wonders of modern surgery.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Can we get him in a oxygen tank to improve/speed up the healing?  I know the Somerset Cricket boys use one up in Bristol somewhere for some injuries?

Think that is more for muscular Tom (Oxygen flow to damaged muscle etc)

Not sure it would speed up the bone growth / healing

Infection the biggest danger of setback

Going to have to be brave contesting those first headers - must be hard psychologically

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

All four wisdom teeth out in go is quite a painful operation, as I remember well. 

Ha ha same here mate -ended up with an infection in one side

Them were the days 

:laughcont:

In fairness , said Friday , thankfully the modern Dentists and equipment  are light years from going under gas  and dentists I encountered young !

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I had a big two  back muncher tooth out Friday - I thought that was bad enough !

Was it bottom wisdoms? They're a nightmare apparently.

I had my one of my top wisdoms taken out about 2 months ago. Dentist overdid the lidocaine and I basically slept for 24 hours! Lived on yogurt and ibuprofen for a few days but healed beautifully. Fully expected a dry socket as I do smoke (tut tut I know) but escaped it thankfully!

8 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I had my one of my top wisdoms taken out about 2 months ago. Dentist overdid the lidocaine and I basically slept for 24 hours! Lived on yogurt and ibuprofen for a few days but healed beautifully. Fully expected a dry socket as I do smoke (tut tut I know) but escaped it thankfully!

Had top and bottom done same time Peg !

One side went well the Other didn’t 

Most people don’t actually have problems with wisdom teeth , especially these days , but I laugh at some of the horror stories / tales that I heard before I had mine done !

Bit like the horror ‘tales’  of the BCG jab (You May be too young to have encountered them !)

Ouch.

I had four wisdom teeth out at once which included the bottom two having to have a section of jaw removed.  Wasn’t too bad until the degradable stitches started to slip. Only time I’ve ever passed out due to pain*

Hope they’ve improved since then, because that injury looks really painful.  Poor bloke.

*no I haven’t given birth

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Ouch.

I had four wisdom teeth out at once which included the bottom two having to have a section of jaw removed.  Wasn’t too bad until the degradable stitches started to slip. Only time I’ve ever passed out due to pain*

Hope they’ve improved since then, because that injury looks really painful.  Poor bloke.

*yes I haven’t given birth

Like shelling peas mate :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Most people don’t actually have problems with wisdom teeth , especially these days , but I laugh at some of the horror stories / tales that I heard before I had mine done !

Bit like the horror ‘tales’  of the BCG jab (You May be too young to have encountered them !)

Did your school have the rumour that ours did that they could tell from the results whether you smoked or not? A nervous few days that was for my thirteen year old self!

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

' bottom  wisdoms '

Nasty place to have wisdom teeth.

:shocking:

Could come back to bite you on the bum.

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The BCG jab. Stopped being given in Bristol just before I was born (mid 80s) but apparently still given to kids across the country?

My hubby used to be a cowman (no Wurzels jokes required lolz) for his grandad (not named Bill either lolz) and he never had the BCG even though he was around the stock from day dot. Thankfully, they never had TB but he would have been screwed.

On 25/09/2018 at 14:21, BobBobSuperBob said:

I had this operation and rather than cut my "pretty" face the surgeon said he would try first to cut behind my ear and out of sight.

He would then hook everything into place and wire it all up.

When i came round from the op i had felt tip lines all over my face so as to line both cheeks up nice and level.

I thought these lines were scars for a few minutes and was a little bit worried about my looks..:laugh:

The metal (silver i think) is still inside.

Mine was not only broken but badly depressed.

I had one cut behind the ear and one just above the eye.

30 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I had this operation and rather than cut my "pretty" face the surgeon said he would try first to cut behind my ear and out of sight.

He would then hook everything into place and wire it all up.

When i came round from the op i had felt tip lines all over my face so as to line both cheeks up nice and level.

I thought these lines were scars for a few minutes and was a little bit worried about my looks..:laugh:

The metal (silver i think) is still inside.

Mine was not only broken but badly depressed.

I had one cut behind the ear and one just above the eye.

Wow!

And to think, this thread got derailed just because, many years ago, @BobBobSuperBob had a painful filling....

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You're a greengrocer and not a maternity nurse then Bob! ?

I should , rather than leave my silly joke outstanding point out that I have massive , awesome , respect for mums who have to go through that - more guts than me 

I think us blokes were extremely fortunate not to have to thro that

Respect Sisters x

Archived