IGNORED

Deal to buy Wembley is WITHDRAWN

Up The City!

It seems like typical short-sightedness from England once again.

A few years ago, we absolutely HAD to revamp Wembley. All of our footballing history was there, and money was no expense. Loads of other countries had a home stadium, and if we didn't keep up we'd be left in the shadows.

A few years later, we can sell Wembley. Loads of other countries don't have a home stadium, so why do we need one?

In 10-20 years time, it wouldn't surprise me if a country like Spain (or whoever is the best at football during this time) decides to build a national stadium, and suddenly the FA decide that we need one. England and the FA have a habit of jumping on bandwagons, or trying to copy the approach of others to achieve success, and this is no different.

Is this the first time in history that property has reduced so significantly in value? 

Cost £850m didn’t it? Now sold for £600m. 

Who did this deal? Pennywise the clown? 

If I built a house 10 years ago for £850k, I’d be most disappointed if it now only sold for £600k! 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is this the first time in history that property has reduced so significantly in value? 

If I built a house 10 years ago for £850k, I’d be most disappointed if it now only sold for £600k! 

I well remember buying my house for 58k and 2 years later it was only valued at 41k.

That was early 90's though.

As for the New Wembley, couldn't care less, going there is a crappy experience and after Hull I decided I wouldn't be going there again.

If selling it leads to at least some internationals being played around the country then I'm all for it.

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

This was my thoughts exactly. We built something that was delivered late and well over budget and now we are selling it for less?

2 hours ago, Harry said:

He's branching out. Killing kids doesn't pay to well these days and probably trying his hand at something new

giphy.gif

As a big NFL fan I'm delighted with this news. Wembley has not been the same since it was rebuilt, taking England around the country makes for a much better spectacle. "If" the FA can reinvest this money in grass roots football that has to be a good think rather than holding on to a stadium that's terrible  for watching football. 

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

As a big NFL fan I'm delighted with this news. Wembley has not been the same since it was rebuilt, taking England around the country makes for a much better spectacle. "If" the FA can reinvest this money in grass roots football that has to be a good think rather than holding on to a stadium that's terrible  for watching football. 

Sadly though, it sounds like England games will still be played at Wembley post sale.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

How do the FA think the money will transform grass roots football exactly.

No doubt they will fritter it away and apart from a few more decent pitches in various suburbs it will disappear. A bit like the LTA who 'invest' huge profits every year in tennis which achieves zilch.

It would depend on what is meant by "if we are ever to change the face of football in this country …"

Germany and Spain have football coaching cultures the UK lacks, but is aspiring to. Ten million pounds trains thirty thousand coaches at level 2 … Do that in several years its the start of a massive national coaching framework.

The German FA rebuilt their grass roots training programme for less than a hundred million pounds.

The above is not a support of sell, its a what could be done possibly with a large influx of capital.

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

''If" the FA can reinvest this money in grass roots football that has to be a good think rather than holding on to a stadium that's terrible  for watching football. 

Big 'If' there Wolfie. I've little doubt that this money will disappear into the trough for the fat cats to feed on and next to nothing will filter down. Cynical, I admit, but it wouldn't be a surprise. 

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Big 'If' there Wolfie. I've little doubt that this money will disappear into the trough for the fat cats to feed on and next to nothing will filter down. Cynical, I admit, but it wouldn't be a surprise. 

Probably a £5m bonus to everyone in the FA involved with the deal in some way.

9 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

WEMBLEY to be the new home of Fulham, while Craven Cottage becomes a high end housing complex?

the FA are a disgrace, this is a dreadful decision

would be heart breaking but money talks. Think of the amount that would go for - real estate on the thames in SW6

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I well remember buying my house for 58k and 2 years later it was only valued at 41k.

That was early 90's though.

As for the New Wembley, couldn't care less, going there is a crappy experience and after Hull I decided I wouldn't be going there again.

If selling it leads to at least some internationals being played around the country then I'm all for it.

Same as that Nogbad, bought a flat in 1989 for 40k, 18 months later it was worth 22k, Thatchers Britain eh.

The new Wembley is a soulless experience in a crap area with lousy transport links and no redeeming features whatsoever. When we went to the last LDV I hated every minute of the day apart from the game itself and, as @Nogbad the Bad said, I decided there and then that it would be my last visit unless we got to a playoff final (even then I would get a hotel nearby and get the tube to the match).

The experience has been so devalued in recent years anyway - is it only about ten clubs that haven`t now played there in something or other - and if I ever go there again it will be too soon. I have no desire to be robbed blind for food, drink, parking and all the other crap and certainly no wish to spend endless hours in traffic getting to and rom the bloody place.

When I think what it was like when we played Bolton & Mansfield it makes me so angry to see what it`s become.

Archived