IGNORED

Fuming

Davefevs

7 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I'm pretty sure you've hammered Johnson in the pass for not making subs sooner? And here we are after he made 2 subs that changed the game and you're hammering him.

Our fan base is a shambles. And utter shambles 

I don’t think I have...you may have misinterpreted my view - which is that he doesn’t read the game well (once it’s started) and therefore doesn’t react to what’s happening in front of him.  I don’t think subs are always the answer, sometimes a small tweak positionally of one player already on the pitch may be the answer.  I certainly don’t get the pre-meditated 2 subs after 60 minutes which is becoming the norm.  Maybe a sub at half-time might have been the kick up the arse the whole team needed, show them he meant business and wouldn’t take more of what he saw in the first half.

As for “two subs that changed the game”....they did change the game:

• we got into better scoring positions, but....
  • ....we also became more open and Rotherham created as much as we did in the final 25 minutes.

You are only looking at the subs from City’s creativity point of view.  Look at how many chances Rotherham created in the same period.

16303768-4939-43CA-A309-F6EBD1FFBB5C.jpeg.0df83b67c931ca6173e408880500ebb0.jpeg

I do accept we improved, but that wasn’t difficult taking into account how bad we were 1st half.  The xG graphic above is a good demonstration of the chances and how they were spread across the 90 minutes.

At the moment we are seeing the two widemen swapped and one of the strikers pretty much every game.  Ask yourself why the two widemen are getting the hook each game.  I’m happy to accept that perhaps I've overdid the criticism of O’Dowda in my OP and that it’s the service that meant he and Eliasson were poor / ineffective.  If so, is it because Pack and Brownhill are the problem....perhaps one or more of them ought to be taken off?  At some point Walsh needs a chance, or even Hegeler./ Morrell?

10 hours ago, Spoons said:

Complete over reaction again on this thread. Why people think we have the right to tip up in Rotherham play amazing football and take the 3 points is beyond me.

This league is hard and historically for us teams that on paper we should beat we don't.

We played awful last night but give some credit to Rotherham. If we played badly and still took a point it's not all bad.

I’m certainly not saying we have a divine right to play well or get 3 points, but that was an awful performance, of which I think a largish part was down to our own efforts (or lack of effort) not Rotherham.  My pre-match thread said we might need to be satisfied with a point.  I don’t think it’s an over-reaction to be angry at the performance - I don’t think LJ was any happier...he certainly wasn’t at half-time...here’s a selection of his quotes....I wasn’t a million miles away from posting what he said was I?

1.And we had two or three who didn’t turn up today. And that’s where we’ve got to be better - we’ve got to be sterner to go and execute the game plan

2.At half-time, I did tell them - it was lively - because it needed to be said

3.Alright, I'll go through it if you want. Too many fouls when the opposition were facing their own goal, and needless fouls that just allows them to build the pressure.

Strikers not holding the ball up... Wingers not influencing others and getting on the ball... Marlon Pack probably had the worst half that I've seen in a long time given how good he is. I thought he was good in the second half.

On 03/10/2018 at 23:05, wendyredredrobin said:

Clearly the Weiman Taylor partnership works better than the Weimann Diedhiou partnership but what has happened to Andi - he started so well and its not through lack of effort, so something else is stunting his performances.

Yep, agreed.....and that something else for me is slow play from the back, our slow play/keep ball play at the back means these two players (AW & MT) main attacking attributes which are speed and running off the ball into/to create space is nullified.

@Davefevs we'll leave it for another thread !!! ?

On 04/10/2018 at 15:12, bcdc said:

I thin you may have, in passing, hit on a real issue about how fans (not just our own) assess their teams performances.  There is an historically  unprecedented volume of live, top grade football on the box, and I'm guessing that most keen football fans will be subscribing to Sky, BT or both. I suspect that this has upped the level of expectations for fans when it comes to analysing the performance of their own clubs.  Look at most championship clubs' forums, and they are riddled with moans about style and performance.  We are not in the top league, but fans have become insentitised to where we are actually playing; it's as if your team isn't playing well if you're not playing like Man City or Liverpool. The ubiquity of available top grade football,is, to a real extent, leading to unrealistic and often incredibly harsh assessments - I'm NOT talking about the Wigan game here! - of how teams are performing.  Have many of us got unachievably high expectations?

I remember the football played in the 60s and 70s in the old Second Division, and in terms of pace and technique (aided hugely by the quite staggering improvement in the pitches and groundskeeping) I think today's players are streets ahead.  Others have mentioned here the fact that so many fans seem to think we have a right to turn up and claim points, as if the other sides, like Rotherham, are not going to be prepared to fight for the points.  It seems to me the levels of preparation ans sophistication in coaching have also moved on enormously - including at Championship level - hence the increasing tendency for anyone being able to beat anyone in this division.

in some ways it feels like a perfect storm, meaning that although we support City, the unachievable standards we are expecting result in a level of criticality and unhappiness among many supporters that, quite literally, can't be met.  

That's the analytical bit...quite what could be done about it is another point altogether.

Right, I'll go and put my tin hat on now.

Good point,when I started going down the gate city were just being relegated to the old 3rd div but back in those days you did not expect any of the players to be skillfull except the wingers who bought the crowd to life(howard Pritchard,Alan Crawford,Alan Walsh)but today you expect every player to be able to entertain.

Archived