IGNORED

Bristol Sport's view on 2017/18

tin

"You win a few games and the manager thinks he's Jesus Christ and he wants to sign a player for £10m. And you lose a few games and you're under pressure to sack him" - Gavin Marshall, Bristol Sport

Interesting to read how the board think we spent big last January! 

This is a pretty unfiltered interview with Gavin Marshall, Bristol Sport's chief finance officer, on last season, expectations and getting 2,500 fans into buying half STs after beating United. 

Really depressing to read.

uncomplimentary about the club manager. How must that make LJ feel? 

Complete lack of understanding on what has to be done to build on success mid season. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had said we weren't really ready for promotion.

When I headed a multi million pound concern had my CFO spoken like that he would have been very lucky to have kept his job.

A good insight into why some of us are critical of BS

Also interesting* to hear the ticketing strategy for the Man Utd game was 100% targeted at maximising revenue.

When we drew Man United in the cup, we came up with something quite neat: if you wanted to get a ticket for the game, you had to be a member. Membership is the next level down from being a season ticket holder. We basically told people they couldn't get a ticket if they weren't members. As a result, we had a massive spike in members and half-season tickets."

*depressing

To clarify: More members and season/half-season ticket sales are excellent.  The shame of it is that they used the actual ability to purchase a Man Utd ticket as the leverage to increase those numbers.  Really those tickets should have been for long-suffering fans, those of us who have endured matches like last night's, or those that went to the Watford away game earlier in last season's League Cup run.  What is said here is that "When we drew Man United" the club immediately saw ££ and prioritised new money from new "fans" without much care for their ludicrously loyal patrons.  That is a sign of what would come in the Premier League IMO.

6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Complete lack of understanding on what has to be done to build on success mid season. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had said we weren't really ready for promotion.

When I headed a multi million pound concern had my CFO spoken like that he would have been very lucky to have kept his job.

Not particularly depressing, just a non-football fan,  money mans perspective. Probably how any dispassionate businessman would see it.

From his point of view we may well have gone for it, in terms of loan fees and wages in January. Never know how much they cost! Didn't work though.

Just now, devoncider said:

We're just a business model now, run by corporate suits.

But we knew that anyway.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way it is and the way of modern football

No. It's the poor quality of our suits that worries me as much as the crazy BS model.  That is nothing to do with modern football per se

11 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Reading that,  how on earth did we go for it in January?

I think you can read in to that just what an expensive flop Diony must have been. 

Even still, an awful interview by him. Imagine if he ever interviewed at a PLC, 'and how would you deal with investor relations' whilst dropping that on the table...

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Where was this written, I've not seen it anywhere?

Doesn't the link take you straight to the article?

We have players on £20K a week, and LJ thinks he's Jesus, not sure about either of those.

I'm not the biggest LJ fan (topics been done to death though), but this guy obviously really dislikes him!!

Surely views like that should be kept in house?

Fact is if we would have spent £10m on a striker, rather than loaning damaged goods, theres a strong possibility that we wouldnt be in this league anymore.....

24 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Doesn't the link take you straight to the article?

We have players on £20K a week, and LJ thinks he's Jesus, not sure about either of those.

We probably do. Wouldn't surprise me to see us pay 20k plus for a experienced championship player like Weimann/Baker/Hunt. Wasn't O'Neil on 17k? 

Can only assume the cost of the wages for Kent and Diony were higher than we thought- as a young player signed from Everton, Walsh I doubt will be on peanuts either.

Then there's the fine for not playing Kent enough and the possible loan fee for Diony. A lot of that piece doesn't surprise me, but 2 interesting lines/quotes in there I think are:

Long-term planning is a luxury that Marshall doesn’t have. And even unexpected windfalls can evaporate in the blink of an eye. After Bristol City’s cup run - which included a famous victory against Manchester United - the club smashed its budget.

Further- if the below is true and accurate- the accounts for last season will look really quite grisly- what we talking, a £20m loss?? Knew it was pretty high, but yeah shows why this summer's business was a total necessity tbh. Fully explains why no real big splash of a signing either.

“Success can mean losing more money. Our football club had its most successful year in a decade: best league position, highest attendance, record season ticket sales - but we lost the most money we've ever lost."

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

No. It's the poor quality of our suits that worries me as much as the crazy BS model.  That is nothing to do with modern football per se

For once I agree with you, IG.  A concerning interview for sure.

Our "suits" are more Matalan than Hugo Boss it would seem. ?

11 hours ago, Taz said:

I'm not the biggest LJ fan (topics been done to death though), but this guy obviously really dislikes him!!

Fact is if we would have spent £10m on a striker, rather than loaning damaged goods, theres a strong possibility that we wouldnt be in this league anymore.....

The £10 million was for Diony 

13 hours ago, tin said:

Interesting to read how the board think we spent big last January! 

This is a pretty unfiltered interview with Gavin Marshall, Bristol Sport's chief finance officer, on last season, expectations and getting 2,500 fans into buying half STs after beating United. 

Thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Reading that,  how on earth did we go for it in January?

By not selling Joe, Aden or Bobby at that point...and adding Kent, Diony and Walsh.  I suspect the finances would really have pointed to selling one asset to balance the books, but in 2nd place at Xmas, the short term strategy changed.

13 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It’s just a generalisation of the world of football imho.  And don’t you think LJ approached MA and SL, striding through the boardroom (Western Salloon style) doors like John Wayne, saying “I'm brilliant, look at what I'm doing, you need to back me big time this window”. Or words to that effect.  And then having to swallow some pride on the back of a poor run, knowing that putting off the sale of the three mentioned above was gonna have to happen in the summer - ‘there;s gonna be some tough decisions” and all that.  Perhaps he should’ve worded it better.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's giving out a very different message to the one LJ gave out at the end of last season, where he said we weren't able to afford the quality of player needed to sustain our promotion challenge.

See above.

11 hours ago, Taz said:

It is quite open, but when your owner has to publicly turn debt into shares of circa £18m to cover 17/18 season’s losses, he’s not really doing anything more than telling us his It is. “but we lost the most we’ve ever lost" proves how much the manager was backed...just not to the extent a number of posters wanted, e.g. Mitrovic, Grabban etc.

39 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The £10 million was for Diony 

Certainly £5-8m reserved to buy him if we went up and he impressed....plus his loan fee, wages, etc.

When the accounts are officially published it’s gonna be a stark realisation of where we were in January and why we recouped £25m+ in fees thus summer and only spent a portion of it.  All against the backdrop of great league run, great attendances, cup run....but biggest loss!!!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Loan fee plus wages....

It won’t have been that much....but more than most of us expected. St Etienne aren’t gonna loan a €8m player on a 4 year contract for peanuts though, so might’ve been even as much as €2m....the horror!

Archived