IGNORED

Ipswich sack manager - Lambert Now Appointed, Just announced ( Sat morning).

daored

Anyone on this thread or forum NOT delighted we have SL at our helm and Wee Lee as our coach, please contact me (assuming you have ever watched regular football at our level)

I am serious because  last season saw 'fan power' (god forbid if that ever came close to reality) seemed to oust a really good manager. We dont want that to happen at BS3, even though one day, Lj will not have the stats to support a currenly fantastic young manager

Ipswich have stagnated in the 2nd tier for the last 16 seasons, with crowds falling to an average of 10k fewer last season than their first season down.

If you're not going to get promoted and the fans are bored stiff after many years of mediocrity or struggle sometimes relegation is a reasonable option to get rid of all the dead wood, re evaluate the club from top to bottom, and kick start the club into a period of momentum and success.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ipswich have stagnated in the 2nd tier for the last 16 seasons, with crowds falling to an average of 10k fewer last season than their first season down.

If you're not going to get promoted and the fans are bored stiff after many years of mediocrity or struggle sometimes relegation is a reasonable option to get rid of all the dead wood, re evaluate the club from top to bottom, and kick start the club into a period of momentum and success.

Bit like we did.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Totally agree and I've said as much to the Town fans I know.

Bringing in someone like Lambert though, the aim is still obviously to rescue this season. Still plenty of time for him to turn it around. 

9 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Bit like we did.

Exactly, not 16 seasons of course, but I bet Ipswich fans would take relegation and a couple of seasons in L1 for a goal laden exciting and successful season like we had under Cotts.

It seems to me Ipswich Town F.C. is steadily drowning in a sea of apathy and boredom at the moment and relegation could be reinvigorating.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Deserve to go down for thinking they were better than Mad Mick, given their stunning lack of ambition. 

They didn't think they were better than Mick. They all blame Evans primarily for the lack of ambition.

They were just bored shitless of Mick's football, which after six years is understandable.  

The Hurst appointment was always going to go one of two ways imo and unfortunately he hasn't been able to get results with a new team quick enough. One win in 15 is obviously shocking and the rumour is he fell out with a number of senior players weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They didn't think they were better than Mick. They all blame Evans primarily for the lack of ambition.

They were just bored shitless of Mick's football, which after six years is understandable.  

The Hurst appointment was always going to go one of two ways imo and unfortunately he hasn't been able to get results with a new team quick enough. One win in 15 is obviously shocking and the rumour is he fell out with a number of senior players weeks ago.

Yes I’m aware at where the problem lies re their ambitions. But their fans were massively deluded to think that anyone would come in and do anything better with the tools at their disposal. There were two possible outcomes, as good as MM or worse than MM. So why change when ultimately you could put Mourinho in post and he’d fail to do much better? 

If ever there was a man who could polish a turd, it’s Big Mick. I’m sure he’s laughing his bollocks off. And I bet the vast majority would have him back tomorrow. The grass ain’t always greener!

I thought Hurst would do a good job there, I still think he’ll do well at this level when he gets another chance. He’s had quite a few promotions already in his career & just think it was the wrong club for him. 

McCarthy played a style of football that was needed for them to sit comfortably in this division without having real relegation worries despite having little money to spend.

Didn’t they finish in the play offs a couple of years ago? I thought they were stupid at the time to hound him out & I’m actually quite glad that it’s gone this way. 

AF4DCE5D-71CE-4D77-BFD4-3BE58D6FF9A9.gif

A40A499F-BD5A-45F0-8CD0-39B5B6ACEE44.gif

29 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes I’m aware at where the problem lies re their ambitions. But their fans were massively deluded to think that anyone would come in and do anything better with the tools at their disposal. There were two possible outcomes, as good as MM or worse than MM. So why change when ultimately you could put Mourinho in post and he’d fail to do much better? 

If ever there was a man who could polish a turd, it’s Big Mick. I’m sure he’s laughing his bollocks off. And I bet the vast majority would have him back tomorrow. The grass ain’t always greener!

I bet they wouldn't. Their crowds dropped off a cliff last season despite them being comfortably midtable. Tells you everything. They didn't necessarily even have ambitions of finishing higher up the league, they just wanted some decent football played. I'm sure any football fan can sympathise with that and it certainly doesn't make them 'massively deluded'. They have a pretty sensible, switched on fanbase.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I bet they wouldn't. Their crowds dropped off a cliff last season despite them being comfortably midtable. Tells you everything. They didn't necessarily even have ambitions of finishing higher up the league, they just wanted some decent football played. I'm sure any football fan can sympathise with that and it certainly doesn't make them 'massively deluded'. They have a pretty sensible, switched on fanbase.

Fair dos. But it was inevitable that a newcomer was going to do better with even less resources than MM, let alone one as inexperienced as Hurst.

Massively backwards step. Depends how you measure progress I guess. How many times do we read on here that pretty football means nothing if the results are shit?!

But more to the point, if you believe you’ve done better in replacing MM with Hurst then at least have the balls to let him have some time in the job considering you’ve sold all your best players over the summer. 

Webster, Garner, McGoldrick, Waghorn all out for c £10m and replaced by cheap signings from L1. Hopefully they enjoy the pretty football in L1 as that’s where they’re headed if they don’t get the next appointment right. 

Nothing against them but a case of careful what you wish for. MM was doing the best possible job under the circumstances. 

Just highlights what a good job MM did, the football may have been boring but he performed way above their budget.  Can't see it being his fault he hasn't had the money to buy more skillful, better players.

They can become more attacking but I bet they'll come out on the losing side a lot more often then not and probably be relegated, whoever the manager is, they just lack the quality to do what the fans ask.  Look how much it's cost us to be a stable championship club playing attractive football.  I believe MM was forced to play that style of 'effective' to remain competitive.

If MM had a similar budget to ours he would play a different style that was suitable.  Anyway, relegation would be the best outcome for them, clear out the deadwood then rebuild in League One and perhaps a promotion or promotion push would revitalise the club.

Just have a quick mention while we're stopping by and then allow other topics to take their place.     Okay, I wasn't thrilled about the appointment.   It's not his Norwich connections that bother me, they can be overlooked.    Only he seems to have failed at subsequent jobs and I thought we could have brought in someone better or a decision was made too soon after Hurst was forced out. 

Speaking of which, were delighted to see Hurst on his way.   I could see he was a poor choice was it was made in the summer and wasn't disappointed.    Feel sympathy for him but this is a results business.    It wasn't viable to keep him on any longer, just surprised the club fired him so quickly - usually our succession of poor managers are allowed to continue in place for far longer to continue further havoc and disarray.      Not much in the season left even in October which is a shame to admit, planning ahead so to speak.   Hope Lambert can produce something, had near 15 years of doing near nothing, shame to see a once proud and illustrious club in the state it has been and continued underachievement.

7 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Just have a quick mention while we're stopping by and then allow other topics to take their place.     Okay, I wasn't thrilled about the appointment.   It's not his Norwich connections that bother me, they can be overlooked.    Only he seems to have failed at subsequent jobs and I thought we could have brought in someone better or a decision was made too soon after Hurst was forced out. 

Speaking of which, were delighted to see Hurst on his way.   I could see he was a poor choice was it was made in the summer and wasn't disappointed.    Feel sympathy for him but this is a results business.    It wasn't viable to keep him on any longer, just surprised the club fired him so quickly - usually our succession of poor managers are allowed to continue in place for far longer to continue further havoc and disarray.      Not much in the season left even in October which is a shame to admit, planning ahead so to speak.   Hope Lambert can produce something, had near 15 years of doing near nothing, shame to see a once proud and illustrious club in the state it has been and continued underachievement.

All I can say is that with your crowds you should do far better. The club probably have been mismanaged for years and you should look for the owners head rather than the managers 

Archived