IGNORED

Ipswich sack manager - Lambert Now Appointed, Just announced ( Sat morning).

daored

Was a strange appointment at the time. A Shrewsbury supporting mate of mine said as good a season they had last year, it was always gonna be a complete one off and this season would be a struggle regardless of Hurst going or staying. He done well last season but would have thought that clubs would wait to see if he was able to produce the same for a second season before taking a gamble on him in the championship.

Sure he will be the first in the queue for any league one clubs on the look out at any point this season.

As for Ipswich, looking for an experienced manager... maybe the return of Mr McCarthy???

Allegedly Matt Holland has been agitating for the job and the Ipswich owner was already talking to other candidates in recent weeks.

Shame it didn't work out for Hurst but he did lose several key players - most importantly Adam Webster of course - and they haven't got much experience left in the team.

The fans and owner were demanding exciting football as if you can just flick a switch. Perhaps Mick knew a thing or two?

It just shows how important the right appointment is, Ipswich went for a relatively up & coming manager who brought in players that he knew from his previous club but together they just couldn’t get the club going in the right direction.

This (not just this particular outcome) could also make it more difficult for managers to work their way up through the pyramid as clubs will be more likely to go for someone who is more likely to achieve their goals.

From a clubs perspective they need a manager to come in & hit the ground running as clubs very rarely give a new manager the time required to become accustomed to things at their club, gone are the days where a manager was allowed time to implement is ideas from the ground up & that’s why so many clubs don’t pay the necessary attention to their youth set-up because the managers are unlikely to be around long enough to see the fruits of their labours but then clubs & managers fall into certain categories & get known by this (Sam Allardyce & Charlton Athletic being examples of this).

Where do Ipswich go from here? I would say down, looking from the outside in & seeing how little they seem to be investing in the club, do they give it to someone with a long term plan, someone within the club? Or do they go for the short term gamble?

I know Kieron Dyer was working as a coach there & he was heavily linked with getting an assistant’s role with Craig Bellamy being the manager! Could they give it to them knowing that relegation is likely, take it & build for the future & next season?

I’m guessing Paul Hurst wishes that he had stayed at Shrewsbury but then again, he will of banked a fair wedge for what equates to less than 6 months work!

38 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Should have stuck with Big Mick ?

I always felt the Mick Mac didn’t get the credit he deserved from a lot of the fans. He operated on a virtually non existent budget for years and managed to keep the club in the Championship. Instead of blaming the owner for the club’s lowly league position, due to lack of funds, it was poor old Mick who got the flack 

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It just shows how important the right appointment is, Ipswich went for a relatively up & coming manager who brought in players that he knew from his previous club but together they just couldn’t get the club going in the right direction.

This (not just this particular outcome) could also make it more difficult for managers to work their way up through the pyramid as clubs will be more likely to go for someone who is more likely to achieve their goals.

From a clubs perspective they need a manager to come in & hit the ground running as clubs very rarely give a new manager the time required to become accustomed to things at their club, gone are the days where a manager was allowed time to implement is ideas from the ground up & that’s why so many clubs don’t pay the necessary attention to their youth set-up because the managers are unlikely to be around long enough to see the fruits of their labours but then clubs & managers fall into certain categories & get known by this (Sam Allardyce & Charlton Athletic being examples of this).

Where do Ipswich go from here? I would say down, looking from the outside in & seeing how little they seem to be investing in the club, do they give it to someone with a long term plan, someone within the club? Or do they go for the short term gamble?

I know Kieron Dyer was working as a coach there & he was heavily linked with getting an assistant’s role with Craig Bellamy being the manager! Could they give it to them knowing that relegation is likely, take it & build for the future & next season?

I’m guessing Paul Hurst wishes that he had stayed at Shrewsbury but then again, he will of banked a fair wedge for what equates to less than 6 months work!

If they were going to accept relegation and “build for the future” they might as well stick with Hurst. Bruce? Butcher? 

29 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I always felt the Mick Mac didn’t get the credit he deserved from a lot of the fans. He operated on a virtually non existent budget for years and managed to keep the club in the Championship. Instead of blaming the owner for the club’s lowly league position, due to lack of funds, it was poor old Mick who got the flack 

Absolutely. I'm not an enormous fan of his particularly but he finished in the top half with them most years operating on a shoestring budget. It's a classic case of 'Be careful what you wish for' from the Ipswich fans. 

I remember a few years ago when Burnley were in one of their first spells in the Premier League, they sacked their manager and made a surprise appointment in Brian Laws. This was after the club had used Deloitte and Touche to compile a study that showed that Laws had gained the most points in the Championship relative to the financial budget over the previous 3 seasons.

Odd way to appoint a manager of course, but I'd bet Big Mick would be right up there if that study was done over the last few seasons.

43 minutes ago, 22A said:

North of the river, DC might be interested, but would he be good enough for ITFC?

If they're sacking Hurst they surely wouldn't be interested in struggling L1 manager Dopey.

Has anyone outside of Bristol, Hartlepool and Mansfield even ever heard of him? :dunno:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was the Tractor Boys than wanted MM gone - had enough of his dreary style of play. 

Its a healthy warning to those who want a manager gone - be careful what you wish for.....

Unless of course, they were wishing of League One.

2 quad-zillion away fans from Bristol buying tickets for a Tuesday night would give them a Premier league payday.

#Gaslogic

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was the Tractor Boys than wanted MM gone - had enough of his dreary style of play. 

Its a healthy warning to those who want a manager gone - be careful what you wish for.....

MM had to go. He was playing dire football. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Oh, so Mick left because the fans said so, they made the decision...it was obviously nothing to do with discussions he had with the club’s hierarchy....anyway, what a silly decision that was....and has proved to be....

Archived