IGNORED

Everyone’s talking about a creative midfielder..

SCANTS-CTID

11 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Imo Tyler Adams from NYRB would be a perfect fit in our side. At 19, he’s recently broken into the USMNT and has excellent potential. 

The MLS is getting stronger and stronger and there are some great players in that league right now. 

I know we looked at Steffan (GK) but I think it’s such a good avenue to look down. It’s a relatively untouched market, I mentioned Cyle Larin last year as a potential striker. He went to Besiktas for absolute peanuts. Just think it’s something to massively look at.  Any player you signed in Jan would also be fit and ready due to the season times over there.

USMNT has got to be one of the most ambitious acronyms I've seen on here

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

We fans are desperate for such a signing but it seems that LJ is happy with what he has.......I’m sure if LJ was questioned about it he’d say that City have adequate cover in Hegeler and Walsh should Pack/Brownhill get injured or suspended.

What else do you expect him to say, he is hardly likely to "dis" Hegeler and Walsh by implying they are not good enough, rather he will be encouraging them to compete for those places, as all good managers do.

What he thinks in privare and what he does, we will have to wait till January.

Loftus Cheek anybody?

15 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

What else do you expect him to say, he is hardly likely to "dis" Hegeler and Walsh by implying they are not good enough, rather he will be encouraging them to compete for those places, as all good managers do.

What he thinks in privare and what he does, we will have to wait till January.

Loftus Cheek anybody?

LJ's told Hegeler he can leave so we have to assume he's not in the club's plans and will be on his way as soon as he can sort out a move.

Unlikely to be here after January I'd have thought.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ's told Hegeler he can leave so we have to assume he's not in the club's plans and will be on his way as soon as he can sort out a move.

Unlikely to be here after January I'd have thought.

Freeing up wages to bring in a replacement maybe? DOn't think Hegeler moving on is big news he has hardly played since he arrived.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I would love Keiren Dowell on loan from Everton, personally. 

Signing a similar young midfield player from Everton would be less than encouraging for Liam Walsh.

Why not just give an extended chance to the player we paid 1m for?

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Freeing up wages to bring in a replacement maybe? DOn't think Hegeler moving on is big news he has hardly played since he arrived.

Not big news, just an acceptance he's not suitable ( good enough?) to be a regular first pick in the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Signing a similar young midfield player from Everton would be less than encouraging for Liam Walsh.

Why not just give an extended chance to the player we paid 1m for?

They are completely different classes, and different players.

In the hope that for once we do strengthen in January i don''t see the point in loaning a young untried player with potential, if it is at all possible would much prefer an experieced  proven player such as someone out of favour with their Premier club or a talented guy playing for someone lower down the food chain than us.

41 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Would CoD be a completely terrible shout? Worth a punt before spending money, he seems to play there for Ireland (I think).

Not even a punt. CoD is creative, agile and quick. LJ hasn't a clue how to get the best out of him - which is why he wont sign a new deal (ITK!).

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

70 years old doesn’t excuse you for not considering SLs strategy that LJ is working to and it doesn’t involve spending millions on any player essentially because they’ll demand huge salaries......

Two words - stability and sustainability.

I'm not looking to be excused thankyou very much. Bloody cheek, young 'un! I'm asking my fellow City-mad lunatics if they can genuinely see us attracting the quality of midfielders and players in other positions to take us to the promised land in the next 10 to 15 years with our present club set-up. This is SLs stated aim!

In 15 years time SL will be 81 and LJ will be 53, "following the strategy". What a laugh!

A top 6 city should have a top 6 football team. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, the current Top 5 do not waste their time on mediocrity in any part of their operation. And please don't anyone say at this point "We cannot compare ourselves to those Clubs" as Bournemouth are currently in 6th place.! Ye Gods, with a maximum  capacity of 11,360 at Dean Court!

30 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

Not even a punt. CoD is creative, agile and quick. LJ hasn't a clue how to get the best out of him - which is why he wont sign a new deal (ITK!).

Trouble is he just hasn't played very well when LJ has given him the chance.

Before he got injured he was just starting to become really effective. Has been well below that level since returning.

9 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm not looking to be excused thankyou very much. Bloody cheek, young 'un! I'm asking my fellow City-mad lunatics if they can genuinely see us attracting the quality of midfielders and players in other positions to take us to the promised land in the next 10 to 15 years with our present club set-up. This is SLs stated aim!

In 15 years time SL will be 81 and LJ will be 53, "following the strategy". What a laugh!

What attracts quality players is money. I dare say that City could get Bannon from the Owls if the bid was big enough and the salary to good to refuse. The fact he’s contracted means bugger all these days.

But.........it won’t happen as SL won’t fund it.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What attracts quality players is money. I dare say that City could get Bannon from the Owls if the bid was big enough and the salary to good to refuse. The fact he’s contracted means bugger all these days.

But.........it won’t happen as SL won’t fund it.

You've side-stepped my most significant point. I have to disagree with your view, there's far more to it than just the money. Excellent players are also attracted by excellent managers who have proved their pedigree and have the insight and experience to continue the development of the player. They are also attracted by a Club having a Top Six Premier League type set-up. 

You cannot believe surely that the best players across the Premier League exclusively talk about money, they earn a lot, that's a given? They must compare notes, talking about the experience of being at a top Club, including how the Club is influencing their own progression.

I've suggested before that an interesting exercise would be a confidential exit survey for players leaving Bristol City to find out what they and other players at other Clubs think truly think of Bristol City and also what the Club needs to do to be truly successful. I suggested this to SL, he didn't respond. Until you crack that one, someone like Dwight Gayle will never come to us. In the past, to my utter disgust Joe Royle said in a radio programme that he had never played in Red! Why was he so anxious to forget about Bristol City?

In your last remark you practically admit that SL is not really serious about the Bristol City being in the Premier League.

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

In your last remark you practically admit that SL is not really serious about the Bristol City being in the Premier League.

SL is very serious about City reaching the PL largely  because of the vast amount of money up there but he’s not prepared to ‘buy’ promotion as certain other clubs have done and very likely break every FFP rule there is.

That said if LJ was convinced that a certain player would significantly enhance the squad he’d have to convince SL that paying up would very probably make the difference between also rans and promotion candidates.....

And......players at EFL level are not attracted necessarily by who the manager is. In the Championship managers come and go regularly and the man who signed you may be replaced after you’ve played just a few matches......surely a player knowing that City are a stable club with a trusted manger would be an attraction......

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SL is very serious about City reaching the PL largely  because of the vast amount of money up there but he’s not prepared to ‘buy’ promotion as certain other clubs have done and very likely break every FFP rule there is.

That said if LJ was convinced that a certain player would significantly enhance the squad he’d have to convince SL that paying up would very probably make the difference between also rans and promotion candidates.....

And......players at EFL level are not attracted necessarily by who the manager is. In the Championship managers come and go regularly and the man who signed you may be replaced after you’ve played just a few matches......surely a player knowing that City are a stable club with a trusted manger would be an attraction......

Well. SL may sound very serious about the Premiership but his actions prove the opposite. Last season proved that part of "the strategy" is selling off our potential Premiership players that we have developed.So it is difficult to see how we would ever have a good enough team.

Why did Bobby, Joe and Aden not want to stay and achieve promotion with Bristol City?

At the moment we waste millions on mediocre, triers certainly, but mediocre players, hoping they will come good, instead of signing a fewer number of quality "certs".

I cannot see how you know what EFL players are considering when looking at a move to a new Club.

Isn't Walsh the answer? The fact that we would probably have to modify the formation to fit him in is anther matter but, after talking to Everton supporting cousins, a creative but tigerish midfielder is exactly what he is.

The problem is that we would need 3 in the middle to play him in that role meaning, I suppose, returning to 3 at the back to accommodate that.

16 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Well. SL may sound very serious about the Premiership but his actions prove the opposite. Last season proved that part of "the strategy" is selling off our potential Premiership players that we have developed.So it is difficult to see how we would ever have a good enough team.

Why did Bobby, Joe and Aden not want to stay and achieve promotion with Bristol City?

At the moment we waste millions on mediocre, triers certainly, but mediocre players, hoping they will come good, instead of a fewer number of quality "certs".

I cannot see how you know what EFL players are considering when looking at a move to a new Club.

Players are attracted by how much they can earn - it ain’t rocket science. Look at how many journeymen there are - Tomlin being an example. Every time he moves he gets a signing on fee............as they all do.

The strategy that SL wants to oversee won’t bear fruit just 18/12 into it. its still in its development stage. Another couple of seasons before the club see any kind of return.

Bryan/Flint and Reid all moved to either play in the PL or stand a better chance of reaching it. It’s the aim of all pro footballers to play as high as they can. Two of those were academy graduates so the revenue they generated goes toward the clubs sustainability - one of SLs aims for the club.

Archived