IGNORED

Everyone’s talking about a creative midfielder..

SCANTS-CTID

12 minutes ago, Selred said:

38 Championship Games - 9 goals.

9 Championship Games - 0 goals.

Again completely different players though. Dowell was usually the second furthest forward for Forest behind their striker. Walsh is a deeper playmaker. Comparing their goals is like comparing Gylfi Sigurdsson to Ngolo Kante. One scores more goals but I reckon the other is rated more

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm not looking to be excused thankyou very much. Bloody cheek, young 'un! I'm asking my fellow City-mad lunatics if they can genuinely see us attracting the quality of midfielders and players in other positions to take us to the promised land in the next 10 to 15 years with our present club set-up. This is SLs stated aim!

In 15 years time SL will be 81 and LJ will be 53, "following the strategy". What a laugh!

A top 6 city should have a top 6 football team. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, the current Top 5 do not waste their time on mediocrity in any part of their operation. And please don't anyone say at this point "We cannot compare ourselves to those Clubs" as Bournemouth are currently in 6th place.! Ye Gods, with a maximum  capacity of 11,360 at Dean Court!

The model is to attract players that could be the quality required.

Robbo is quite right SL wont sanction anything else. However we have Webster, Kalas who would get into any team at this level and quite a few more besides.

I get your point about about getting on as my old man wont get to see us in the Premier League, however my instinct is we are going to be competitive this season, particularly when others start becoming available. 

Hang in there mate!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Players are attracted by how much they can earn - it ain’t rocket science. Look at how many journeymen there are - Tomlin being an example. Every time he moves he gets a signing on fee............as they all do.

The strategy that SL wants to oversee won’t bear fruit just 18/12 into it. its still in its development stage. Another couple of seasons before the club see any kind of return.

Bryan/Flint and Reid all moved to either play in the PL or stand a better chance of reaching it. It’s the aim of all pro footballers to play as high as they can. Two of those were academy graduates so the revenue they generated goes toward the clubs sustainability - one of SLs aims for the club.

You should be playing on the wing for us with your side-stepping ability. Tomlin is an unfortunate example but City have a history of signing players with recognised high ability but also well known for a substantial problem with not fitting in/ego/attitude/laziness. Tony Dinning is another. Either that or we get past their best top players like Michael Bridges. We sign players like these presumably in the hope that some miraculous change takes place in them. This is despite the fact that SL believes you cannot improve a player when they pass the age of 25 (says a lot doesn't it?). He said this in one of his Q and A sessions (which I totally respect him for taking part in) at an away game when I quizzed him on the quality of our coaching and what looked like at the time to me to be a pattern of de-skilling players who came to us (I am worried incidentally that this will happen to Walsh)

You haven't answered my valid points on what footballers consider, by themselves and with friends from other Clubs, before signing. It's obviously not just money. eg. If you are playing for a Club in Lancashire where there are a plethora of Clubs, you are in a position to move up (and down) the Leagues without even having to move home. Whereas to move to Bristol City, in an area which is at present a footballing backwater, you have to have very good reasons apart from the financial ones to move to our Club. (and don't give me the tried and tested chestnut "It's the present gaffer" nonsense.

I've said before, our Club do nothing as far as I am aware to promote both the Football Club and Bristol as a city on a national scale. Some football fans are not very bright I admit and talking to some QPR fans on a train once I found out that predictably knowing nothing about the history of Bristol, they were amazed that our city could have two football Clubs. They thought that Bristol was a poxy little village out in the sticks. Why isn't our Club doing something about this sort of misconception in order to impress potential signings. This is surely what a billionaire business man does to attract top staff?

Also you haven't explained why if everything is going so well with the strategy that Bobby, Joe and Aden weren't persuaded to stay at least another season to go for promotion. We just had to pay them more to stay in your terms.

Wolves eventually got out of the Championship by appointing Nuno Espirito Santo and backing him, using all his contacts. When I look at the new amazing Ashton Gate and consider our catchment area I'd like to think that one day SL would have the guts to make the change in himself and sell the idea of taking on Bristol City to someone of that calibre. Then I believe Bobby, Joe, Aden, Lloyd and all our amazing other young prospects would stick around because they would believe BCFC was going somewhere. Instead they hear last Christmas that we're not interested in promotion that season.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

The model is to attract players that could be the quality required.

Robbo is quite right SL wont sanction anything else. However we have Webster, Kalas who would get into any team at this level and quite a few more besides.

I get your point about about getting on as my old man wont get to see us in the Premier League, however my instinct is we are going to be competitive this season, particularly when others start becoming available. 

Hang in there mate!

Thanks mate. Good to get a level sympathetic response on here

47 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thanks mate. Good to get a level sympathetic response on here

I'm the same as you. At 75 and reasonably fit for my age, I don't know when it will be, but the odds on more than another five years are not good.

I also know that when I do go, I won't be still yearning for it, but while I'm still here and able to get to games, that a year or two in the Prem would be very welcome.

Is it too much to ask? After all we are Bristol City, the sixth or seventh biggest City in England. And owned by a Bristol billionaire. Perhaps I should support Weston Super Mare because they might become the next Burnley! Both with village sized populations.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Again completely different players though. Dowell was usually the second furthest forward for Forest behind their striker. Walsh is a deeper playmaker. Comparing their goals is like comparing Gylfi Sigurdsson to Ngolo Kante. One scores more goals but I reckon the other is rated more

The biggest stand out is games played. One dominated the Championship as a starter. The other is a Korey Smith injury away from being on loan at league one.

At the moment the nail has been hit on the head, earlier in this thread. We are based where players coming here first have to think about moving to the area. And given that they are young or just starting families it’s not something most want to do 

As good as it is in this area. it’s just not the in place for footballers who only see clubs in the Birmingham area and up,  thereis then less chance of leaving home. It’s like overseas players who most, only want come to the bright lights of London, or clubs with history of the Prem. 

If we have a steady season top half pushing play offs improving the on last few seasons. Then some potential future players may look at us as possibilities to be challenging maybe sneaking up and decide moving is worth it. 

22 minutes ago, Selred said:

The biggest stand out is games played. One dominated the Championship as a starter. The other is a Korey Smith injury away from being on loan at league one.

That is a better argument but I am a believer in the lad. Though LJ does seem to judge them well. Can’t say what he is missing though a loan player sometimes gets more of a chance than a player owned. I’d be a bit annoyed if I was Walsh. Not sure how he trains but he has generally done well in the games he has played and have to remember he first came to the club amidst a dreadful run. 

13 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

At the moment the nail has been hit on the head, earlier in this thread. We are based where players coming here first have to think about moving to the area. And given that they are young or just starting families it’s not something most want to do 

As good as it is in this area. it’s just not the in place for footballers who only see clubs in the Birmingham area and up,  thereis then less chance of leaving home. It’s like overseas players who most, only want come to the bright lights of London, or clubs with history of the Prem. 

If we have a steady season top half pushing play offs improving the on last few seasons. Then some potential future players may look at us as possibilities to be challenging maybe sneaking up and decide moving is worth it. 

The geographical  location of Bristol has always been a drawback with hubs like Brum, London and even Manchester surrounded by numerous clubs but I would argue that with City becoming an established Championship club the profile of our club has become higher.

On a par with Bristol clubs like Norwich and to a lesser degree Ipswich would have the same difficulties if they didn’t have a decent history. 

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

70 years old doesn’t excuse you for not considering SLs strategy that LJ is working to and it doesn’t involve spending millions on any player essentially because they’ll demand huge salaries......

Two words - stability and sustainability.

That's three words.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm the same as you. At 75 and reasonably fit for my age, I don't know when it will be, but the odds on more than another five years are not good.

I also know that when I do go, I won't be still yearning for it, but while I'm still here and able to get to games, that a year or two in the Prem would be very welcome.

Is it too much to ask? After all we are Bristol City, the sixth or seventh biggest City in England. And owned by a Bristol billionaire. Perhaps I should support Weston Super Mare because they might become the next Burnley! Both with village sized populations.

Thanks for your comments mate. I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that many fans do not really share our wider view of where BCFC should be. They're all too busy saying how wonderful SL is ie. "I'm just grateful we have a football club thanks to Mr Lansdown, the Championship is okay"  However I can appreciate that Steve must have been well p'd off after the gutlessness of the City Council over the whole ridiculous village green travesty. This just would not have been allowed to happen in other publicly ambitious cities. Parochial, low horizon attitudes and thinking. Private wealth and public poverty. I love my town but I hate it as well.

23 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

With the right manager?? Jesus.

He'd do.

He fed 5,000 with a few loaves and fishes so should be more than capable of putting together a championship winning team with SL's lose change  and some luncheon vouchers.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nor do you......you agreed with me recently when I said we should have chucked most of the money we got for Mags, Flint, Reid and Bryan at getting Bannan in.....you agreed with me, you agreed with spending big, big money.....so what don’t I get?!

There are rules against spending though. Whether those rules are strict or not is irrelevant as we are following them. Those players sold generated 25m. We lost 17m as a club last season. So we were up 8m. Spent 10-11m on players not including loans and one would presume we will lose 15-18m again this season. So before we sell or buy anyone else next summer we are down 20m. The money generated from sales(not all but some) is at least to keep us within FFP rules. That money doesn’t go straight back into a transfer fund. That is the reality of it. There are other arguments that can be had on the back of that but from pure finances that is what we face. 

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nor do you......you agreed with me recently when I said we should have chucked most of the money we got for Mags, Flint, Reid and Bryan at getting Bannan in.....you agreed with me, you agreed with spending big, big money.....so what don’t I get?!

I agreed that the revenue generated by the sales of Hordour/Flint/Bryan and Reid could have been used to try and sign Bannon or a midfielder of his type. 

I also said that SL sees that revenue as part of the sustainability of the club although LJ was able to sign Watkins/Webster/Hunt/Wieman and Kalas on loan. Quality additions with sensible fees.

Five incoming for four outgoing........

There wasn’t enough cash to go around to tempt Bannan. Of course LJ could have invested the money on the four he signed on one signing but that would have kept us desperately short at the back.

As it now City are defensively pretty solid but thin in midfield.......who’d be a manager eh?

It all very saying that SL is worth £2 billion but there are FFP regulations in place to consider.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agreed that the revenue generated by the sales of Hordour/Flint/Bryan and Reid could have been used to try and sign Bannon or a midfielder of his type. 

I also said that SL sees that revenue as part of the sustainability of the club although LJ was able to sign Watkins/Webster/Hunt/Wieman and Kalas on loan. Quality additions with sensible fees.

Five incoming for four outgoing........

There wasn’t enough cash to go around to tempt Bannan. Of course LJ could have invested the money on the four he signed on one signing but that would have kept us desperately short at the back.

As it now City are defensively pretty solid but thin in midfield.......who’d be a manager eh?

It all very saying that SL is worth £2 billion but there are FFP regulations in place to consider.

Insulting to a fellow fan and the same old selective lines. How do you know what you say about Bannan is true?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Jeez.........you’re being pendantic tonight SK...............:disapointed2se:

Overbearing, evasive. Come on out and debate with me in detail. My points are carefully considered and you cannot answer them. FFP is now your constant cover line for Sir Steve"s timid approach to Football Club ownership. Thankyou and goodnight.

Archived