IGNORED

Andy Cole

soultrader

I found out 10 years ago that I was born with only one kidney and I have to obviously look after the one that I have.

I can still do everything that I did but I have to certainly drink booze in moderation.

I have regular blood tests that keep me informed about the state of my remaining kidney.

I hope that by leading a sensible life style my remaining kidney will see me through, I really would not like to go through the trauma that Mr Cole has experiencd thats for sure.

Honestly I am having real trouble to understand his comments.

Rather than being pleased that he has been given a new lease of life he seems to be looking at the darker side of life.

I had a kidney transplant 20 years ago, average time is 7 years so I have been very lucky but I put it down to my attitude towards the transplant & all associated with it.

I too take tablets every day including anti rejection ones & since taking them I have recovered from a broken arm & plastic surgery on my leg in very quick time.

He needs to be more positive about life.

7 hours ago, taxidriver999 said:

Rather than being pleased that he has been given a new lease of life he seems to be looking at the darker side of life.

I had a kidney transplant 20 years ago, average time is 7 years so I have been very lucky but I put it down to my attitude towards the transplant & all associated with it.

I too take tablets every day including anti rejection ones & since taking them I have recovered from a broken arm & plastic surgery on my leg in very quick time.

He’s struggling with depression, not just his illness that meant he needed the transplant.

He blames himself for everything & as someone who is suffering with depression because of certain extenuating circumstances, I can fully understand where he’s coming from. Depression isn’t something that you just wake up from & it’s gone!

7 hours ago, taxidriver999 said:

Don’t think you understand depression.

You can’t just choose to be more positive. 

7 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

The Dark Side of the Beautiful Game..... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46058896 

a reminder ...it's been real shit and sickeningly disgusting at times! :disapointed2se:  

Stuff like that has always happened. Keane said in his book he went out to seriously injure Haaland that time.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Stuff like that has always happened. Keane said in his book he went out to seriously injure Haaland that time.

There have always been ‘hard men’ in the game - there’s  even been books about legendary hard men.............:cool2:

Despite the criticism they’ve received the referee professional body has over the years clamped down on dangerous tackles and quite right to. We don’t see anything like as many reckless challenges and players like Ruddick and Keane are thankfully no longer playing.

That said, ridiculous yellow cards for taking your shirt off after scoring...................:facepalm:

On 27/10/2018 at 19:34, RedDave said:

Don’t think you understand depression.

You can’t just choose to be more positive. 

If it is true that it is not events, or what happens to us, that upset us, but the view we take of what happens to us that upsets us, then there is choice. The Buddha was telling people this 2000 years ago (most people took a dim view of his idea). It's not always an easy or obvious choice, granted, and people vary in their readiness or their capacity for this. But this is the hopeful and empowering message and path for people bogged down in dramatically changed circumstances, negative thinking and depressed mood. 

"Between stimulus and response there is a space: in that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." This from a bloke imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp, witnessing years of unimaginable horror, who wrote a book. Fair play to the bloke.

Cole himself demonstrates a different "response" at the end of the article to the same "stimulus" - his new health situation - and his initial reactions to it. And seems better by the end. It can be hard to see it as a choice, but according to quacks, profs, boffins, Buddhists and what have you, there is a choice. Which offers people hope.

If it isn't the case that what we think about what happens to us is what upsets us, rather than events themselves (City losing, Rovers winning/taking thousands more away than us, Lee Johnson not starting Taylor tomorrow, someone arguing with you on here, some **** cutting you up coming off the M32, your missus not ironing your shirt, losing your job, etc etc) then the NHS is wasting time and many more millions referring depressed people for CBT.

The pharmaceutical companies would be very, very pleased if we could not choose to think and feel differently, and begin to tell ourselves new/healthier/more positive "stories" to ourselves in our heads, and could only find relief using their products.

6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If it is true that it is not events, or what happens to us, that upset us, but the view we take of what happens to us that upsets us, then there is choice. The Buddha was telling people this 2000 years ago (most people took a dim view of his idea). It's not always an easy or obvious choice, granted, and people vary in their readiness or their capacity for this. But this is the hopeful and empowering message and path for people bogged down in dramatically changed circumstances, negative thinking and depressed mood. 

"Between stimulus and response there is a space: in that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." This from a bloke imprisoned in a Nazi concentration camp, witnessing years of unimaginable horror, who wrote a book. Fair play to the bloke.

Cole himself demonstrates a different "response" at the end of the article to the same "stimulus" - his new health situation - and his initial reactions to it. And seems better by the end. It can be hard to see it as a choice, but according to quacks, profs, boffins, Buddhists and what have you, there is a choice. Which offers people hope.

If it isn't the case that what we think about what happens to us is what upsets us, rather than events themselves (City losing, Rovers winning/taking thousands more away than us, Lee Johnson not starting Taylor tomorrow, someone arguing with you on here, some **** cutting you up coming off the M32, your missus not ironing your shirt, losing your job, etc etc) then the NHS is wasting time and many more millions referring depressed people for CBT.

The pharmaceutical companies would be very, very pleased if we could not choose to think and feel differently, and begin to tell ourselves new/healthier/more positive "stories" to ourselves in our heads, and could only find relief using their products.

Want to go take DMT with me?

Depression is the worst of illness's it robs you of self-esteem, confidence and your will to live. It's about time that people realise just how debilitating mental un-wellness can be to the Human spirit. As someone who suffers from Bipolar Disorder on a daily basis I can relate to people who talk about the darkness surrounding depression and how it takes over their lives reducing them to shells of their former self. It's 2018 and we need to be much more open about the darker side of life and stop being so infantile when dealing with mental illness. After all, mental illness will affect 1 in 4 people during their lifetime, so it's never very far from home for any of us.

Archived