IGNORED

Paterson

Red Army 75

23 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Love the way this is doing the rounds. One, brief clip from the past God knows how many months? In the longer version I think he checks against the next opponent and knocks it back to Fammy taking us precisely back from where he started. Taylor starts in preference to him yesterday and it's a whole different ballgame.

Paterson was decent the other night. However I agree with you. The obvious play maker to me is Taylor. Instead he’s asked to chase lost causes and be a pest be our best player to then get dropped. 

What is clear to me is Walsh will be starting on that performance rightly and if you do that what team do you play. 

Pack has not been on it since August. Weimann needs to be played in! 

LJ has a lot of thinking to do. Kelly had  a poor game but him and desilva together look neat. 

Kelly Webster Kalas in a three

Walsh Brownhill Elliason desilva Pack in a five or 4,1 or possibly Watkins who might not be the trickiest but he has power and presence

Any two from weimann Taylor Diédhiou 

the wild card is when our injuries are back. It’s still very early days and there is nothing in this division. What difference are the others are able to make as Walsh looks like a new signing effectively

Paterson is the kind of signing a club like us needs to make and make a success for this club to progress, succeed, and be sustainable. 

On the fringes of another club in this division - a bigger club than us - out of form, out of favour - or down the pecking order, as new signings take his place - and looking for a new start, after a new manager/coach comes in and doesn't "fancy" him. In the right age bracket - about 24/25 - he will be approaching his "best" years. He will probably be a Brit, or have played here a few years at least. He will be badly wanting to prove a point, prove his rejecting club "wrong." He will be available at a reasonable price, his present club wanting him gone and off the wage bill; he might even be undervalued. He will have in his locker the class and ability his present club originally spotted and signed him for in the first place, the ability to play at this level now but which has been lost and not seen for months in the disarray and confusion as his present club struggle and turn to a new coach/club has new owners etc. He will make the switch pretty smoothly and find form quickly - he might even get off to a flying start - knowing many of the players here, the club, the style of play, having played against us a few times; the warmth and attention from his new head coach - that old feeling of being wanted, rated - will put a spring in his step, and a yard of pace into his running. He will have some inspired moments, or even games. His new club will nod approvingly, knowing they have picked up a bargain and 

Er, then, after a bit, he'll start picking up numerous injuries, or sign a contract extension, then lose all motivation and play like a drain for months, reverting to exactly the waste of space his previous club sidelined him for. 

But you get my point. Paterson was an attempt to find "value" in this division, a rejected player who, with some emotionally intelligent man management, could be sparked back into form and motivated by "I'll show them," be a cheap, backdoor way of bringing in Championship quality (as opposed to "one for the future," or an overseas punt). A forgotten gem, in need of a new start and an arm around the shoulder. Like Clough and Taylor did to remarkable effect in the 1970s.

Oh well, if you get it wrong, you get it .... er, you have another go. Keep trying, Lee! There'll be loads of gems wasting away on the fringes at Leeds, Forest, Villa, Derby, Wednesday.........

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This was against Hull City last week....(I agree Pato is very out of form at the moment, but his confidence looks ok in this vid)

The odd flash of his former self in a game is not good enough, especially when these rare flashes aren't turning out to be game-changers. It's not making him a scapegoat - others have been poor in certain games at times, too. But he has been consistently poor and largely uninvolved in games for far too long, in my book.

Can we stop making a thread about him every game? It’s embarrasing the way our fans villify players during their slumps in confidence. He doesn’t pick himself, it’s not his fault he continues to get played. There’s obviously more to it than he just can’t be bothered and we as fans should support our players. Imagine if half the ground sang his name next game? I bet that would give him a lift. Either way, a new thread every game is pointless - you aren’t saying anything new or adding any new debate.

someone compared it to Fontaine, and his treatment was equally as embarrassing especially for someone who had been generally decent throughout his time with us til that point.

this isn’t a Jody Morris or a Foster or several other useless players we’ve had that NEVER showed any quality. This is a lad who was quality for 4/5 months last season up until his illness including THAT game against United. LJ needs to do the right thing and take him out of the firing line for now, but that’s not Patos fault and with that in mind we should support him.

We came alive in the second half yesterday. Walsh and Dasilva were the catalysts but everyone's game lifted most definitely including Patterson's. Some of the best most attractive football we played last season was quick one, two touch inter passing between combinations of Bryan, Tomlin, Reid and Patterson. 3 of those have gone. And maybe that's affected Patterson's game. Perhaps with Walsh and Dasilva around him - quick skillful players - he'll refind his mojo.

We're not Man U, we can't afford to replace skillful players just because they're out of form. LJ hasn't found the formula yet for reigniting Patterson, but I'm pleased he's persevering!

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:58, Red Army 75 said:

How and why is he playing. ******* shit . In affective. Shouldn’t be any where near the starting line up 

Red Army 75...really? an angry post from an angry fan posting at the final whistle

Some of the comments about Pato on this thread look like they come from gas fans - embarrassing. When Pato steps onto the pitch, he doesn't intend to have a bad game. Like any other player, he will have dips in form. It wasn't that long ago that some of the same posters on this forum were heaping praise on his ability and vision. How fickle football is. I agree that he needs to come out for a game or two but, come on, tone it down a little

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:00, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

LJ hasn't found the formula yet for reigniting Patterson, but I'm pleased he's persevering!

But surely there's only so much a manager and his coaching/support team can do. A great deal of it has to come from the player himself. Sadly it just doesn't appear to be there at the moment, and hasn't been for some time.

4 hours ago, Red7 said:

But surely there's only so much a manager and his coaching/support team can do. A great deal of it has to come from the player himself. Sadly it just doesn't appear to be there at the moment, and hasn't been for some time.

I agree he's not immune from criticism. What I was trying to say (and making a bit of a meal out of it), is that perhaps part of the problem is the players around him. Maybe we get the best from him when there are fast tricky players around him with whom he can link up. Last year that was Bryan and Reid. Without them he's dribbling into cul-de-sacs because he's unsupported. Maybe with Walsh and DaSilva around him, we'd start to see the best from him again. It's only a theory, but he WAS better after those two came on on Saturday.

I would play Taylor ahead of Pato every time, but I actually thought everyone was below par for the first half on Saturday - apart from Diedhiou perhaps. I can’t sungle our Pato for anything particularly bad that doesn’t also apply to many of the others

In the second half we were ALL really good - including Pato. 

I assume Brownhill was taken off because he was on a yellow card and getting frustrated(?)

47 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I agree he's not immune from criticism. What I was trying to say (and making a bit of a meal out of it), is that perhaps part of the problem is the players around him. Maybe we get the best from him when there are fast tricky players around him with whom he can link up. Last year that was Bryan and Reid. Without them he's dribbling into cul-de-sacs because he's unsupported. Maybe with Walsh and DaSilva around him, we'd start to see the best from him again. It's only a theory, but he WAS better after those two came on on Saturday.

There may be something in that, @Yellow&Blue&Red. He has showed a flash or two of late. But it's still not nearly enough for me. I'm hoping he can turn it around. But I think we'd be far better off with players who can perform regardless of who else is in the starting eleven. I for one am certainly questioning Johnson's judgement re picking him continuously despite sub-standard performances time after time.  

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I would play Taylor ahead of Pato every time, but I actually thought everyone was below par for the first half on Saturday - apart from Diedhiou perhaps. I can’t sungle our Pato for anything particularly bad that doesn’t also apply to many of the others

In the second half we were ALL really good - including Pato. 

I assume Brownhill was taken off because he was on a yellow card and getting frustrated(?)

That was my take on it. He was getting a bit wound up and Stoke were doing their best to try and get to him. 

Paterson been out of form for awhile but don’t think he deserves the stick he is getting here. Not every footballer is going to leave it all out on the pitch. It just isn’t reality even if we would all like it to be. Paterson isn’t going to get in the box and power a header in. Even if it looked he had a chance. Also it isn’t up to him who starts or plays. 

That for me is the bigger issue here. The fact that he is still being picked after all these average at best performances. I don’t worry about Paterson making us worse by being a bad character. Also while he isn’t a workhorse he does his bit usually defensively. Ok won’t tackle but usually in position to help the team shape. I think back to Tomlin and I shudder. Paterson should not be playing but he doesn’t deserve a thread of 90% slating him imo. 

I have always preferred him on the left myself. We have other options now though and Paterson might need another spell on the bench(his first season here) to realise he needs to work harder and do more. 

5 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Correct. For any person to perform to the best of their ability they have to be in  the right formation and team mates need to be on the same wavelength. He played very well alongside BR in a free roaming role in the first half of last season. People seem to forget that he was then shunted onto the left wing (a right footer), when Famara was brought back into the side, and Ryan Kent occupied the right wing. It's no coincidence that neither BR or Paterson were as successful in the second half of the season. Since then Paterson has been played predominantly on the left wing, in a restricted role, especially for a right footer, with a relatively novice left back behind him, as opposed to JB.

Not having a go at Famara but, his reintroduction to the team after Christmas last year and after six/seven games this year,  resulted in a drop off in points gained and goals scored. Don't know if that's coincidence but, it appeared to hinder our fast flowing football last season and again recently.

Archived