IGNORED

Relegation battle

Full nelson

Going on most of our performances this season I can safely say that this team is really struggling to get going. Yes we won 4 in a row but this surely papers of the cracks! Can’t remember all those games when we won 4 in a row but wasn’t our team outplayed by Blackburn for long periods of the game and they could have been out of sight if it wasn’t for poor execution and the same with Sheffield united?! Now LJ and his side have won 2 from 9 which is relegation form and we’ve been in relegation form since the start of 2018! So my question is are we really going to be in a relegation scrap again as we have horrid games to come over the next two months where I can see possible 4 points coming our way. I hope I’m wrong, very wrong but this squad and manager fill me with zero confidence. 

Just my opinion and would like to gauge what others may think about the coming months. 

Are we too good to go down? Or is this the best we’re ever going to get for the foreseable future? 

7 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Going on most of our performances this season I can safely say that this team is really struggling to get going. Yes we won 4 in a row but this surely papers of the cracks! Can’t remember all those games when we won 4 in a row but wasn’t our team outplayed by Blackburn for long periods of the game and they could have been out of sight if it wasn’t for poor execution and the same with Sheffield united?! Now LJ and his side have won 2 from 9 which is relegation form and we’ve been in relegation form since the start of 2018! So my question is are we really going to be in a relegation scrap again as we have horrid games to come over the next two months where I can see possible 4 points coming our way. I hope I’m wrong, very wrong but this squad and manager fill me with zero confidence. 

Just my opinion and would like to gauge what others may think about the coming months. 

Are we too good to go down? Or is this the best we’re ever going to get for the foreseable future? 

We're in mid table currently. Patently not relegation form, if it was we'd be in the relegation places.

You’ve already got your “anyone else worried” negativity-fest thread, did you really need to start another one?

Simple facts: we’re mid table, we’ve won as many as we’ve lost and we’re about as close to the top as we are the bottom. You’ve picked your stats to suit your argument. 2 wins in 9 yes, but also 2 wins in 4, and 6 wins in 13. It’s peaks and troughs, which is exactly what you’d expect from the bang-average mid-table side that we are. We’re not great at all, but there are 12 sides below us with more reason to be concerned.

Everyone loves to predict the next Johnson bad patch, but we’ve had just as many good patches. I fully expect us to end up somewhere in the middle come May.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’ve already got your “anyone else worried” negativity-fest thread, did you really need to start another one?

Simple facts: we’re mid table, we’ve won as many as we’ve lost and we’re about as close to the top as we are the bottom. You’ve picked your stats to suit your argument. 2 wins in 9 yes, but also 2 wins in 4, and 6 wins in 13. It’s peaks and troughs, which is exactly what you’d expect from the bang-average mid-table side that we are. We’re not great at all, but there are 12 sides below us with more reason to be concerned.

Everyone loves to predict the next Johnson bad patch, but we’ve had just as many good patches. I fully expect us to end up somewhere in the middle come May.

Bang on. I have no idea why every opinion has to be polarising. Johnson is an average manager with average players and at the moment, we're an average team. I've been up and down on Johnson and for me that indicates that he is average, nothing more, nothing less. He's not Hitler, nor is he the second coming.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Bang on. I have no idea why every opinion has to be polarising. Johnson is an average manager with average players and at the moment, we're an average team. I've been up and down on Johnson and for me that indicates that he is average, nothing more, nothing less. He's not Hitler, nor is he the second coming.

Basically if you don't think he's the antichrist then you're a happy clapper. That's how it works.

And that's before we get on to him never being sacked ever ever ever.

Didn’t realise the bottom half of the table all got relegated these days? If so we are in trouble sitting one place above the drop zone.....

i wont start worrying until we’re in the bottom 6, there’s still 12 teams below us that have more to worry about right now and it’s still early days of the season.

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Basically if you don't think he's the antichrist then you're a happy clapper. That's how it works.

And that's before we get on to him never being sacked ever ever ever.

Do you think if any other manager would of stayed in the job after our record losing run , the 6-0 at Preston, any other manager would of been gone lj gets special treatment no doubt about it

We are not in a relegation place at this moment. In fact only four points from a play off spot could be seen as being comfortably mid table.

However, we are hardly in a good run of results. I know I'll get shot down by some but if we take the results after the win against Sheff United, there have been nine matches played. That is 20% of a season.

Wins 2 / Draws 2 / Defeats 5

8 points from 27 available.

That is poor form by anyone's standards. Continue until end of November and we'll be anxiously looking down. 

So my questions are.

Do the positive supporters feel comfortable?

How many more poor results before we call it a third successive season with a "Johnson Bad Run"?

We have an average squad, an average (at best) manager gaining average results from average uninspiring performances.  This is good enough for our chairman and board who only seem to show ambition when it come to infrastructure and bricks and mortar and seem to lose sight of how important the 90 minutes on the pitch is to those who turn up week in week out (apart from when season tickets go on sale and the talk is more up beat).  How uninspiring is that.  Personally I want more from my club.  Ambition and a desire to not settle for mediocrity please.

3 minutes ago, General Zod said:

We have an average squad, an average (at best) manager gaining average results from average uninspiring performances.  This is good enough for our chairman and board who only seem to show ambition when it come to infrastructure and bricks and mortar and seem to lose sight of how important the 90 minutes on the pitch is to those who turn up week in week out (apart from when season tickets go on sale and the talk is more up beat).  How uninspiring is that.  Personally I want more from my club.  Ambition and a desire to not settle for mediocrity please.

Unfortunately it’s all about the brand, getting the club self sufficient is a pipe dream , anybody tell me what clubs are running at a profit it’s nearly impossible especially in the championship.

57 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

That makes no sense whatsoever, you don’t have to be in the relegation places to be in a relegation fight

The allegation I was challenging was that we were in relegation FORM. Surely you'd say that if that FORM was manifesting itself, we'd be in the relegation places, not in midtable?

1 minute ago, pillred said:

and on current form, and all round performances I beg to differ.

Oh yeah we were shit against Reading and have been very shit for a few games now. Performances from a few players have been shocking. Still midtable though.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The allegation I was challenging was that we were in relegation FORM. Surely you'd say that if that FORM was manifesting itself, we'd be in the relegation places, not in midtable?

Oh yeah we were shit against Reading and have been very shit for a few games now. Performances from a few players have been shocking. Still midtable though.

2 wins in 9 what do you call that , to me that’s relegation form???

8 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Unfortunately it’s all about the brand, getting the club self sufficient is a pipe dream , anybody tell me what clubs are running at a profit it’s nearly impossible especially in the championship.

Or the sign of an owner who has lost interest in what goes on on the pitch?

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

My guess is , that you could go on any football forum of a team that lost yesterday and  is currently mid table or below and you will find someone predicting a relegation battle :)

Ipswich are currently bottom of this division, yet only some of their fans fear the worst. Others sense the performances have improved and therefore the results will come.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/445900/what-will-the-crowds-be-next-season-in-l1/#13

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Everyone needs to read this. This is spot on. It honestly even goes deeper than LJ and the squad. Think our coaches are average, recruiting is average, wages we pay are average, stadium is average for the league, attendances are average for the league. Could probably find more. Everyone wants Bristol City to be more but currently we are not. We are better than about half the teams and worse than about half the teams. Probably where we should be finally. At some point SL will have to decide if he is happy with this(maybe he already is?) or if we will pay that bit more for a better manager that will have a few more connections and influence on players.

For this season, think we all expected a midtable type season and so far we have been relatively consistent. The winless run stopped after about 5. We are now on 2 winless which with some better luck could have been 4-6 points. We have played brilliantly for spells of 30-45 min and also played dreadful in similar stretches. Doesn’t feel like progress but so far we have done what most had as minimal requirements for this season. 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good grief..................:facepalm:...............this place is utterly ridiculous at times 

30 games to go and certain posters are talking about relegation..........ffs.......

......... AND John Lewis have had the Xmas stuff out for several weeks now ...........

"FFS".

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Going on most of our performances this season I can safely say that this team is really struggling to get going. Yes we won 4 in a row but this surely papers of the cracks! Can’t remember all those games when we won 4 in a row but wasn’t our team outplayed by Blackburn for long periods of the game and they could have been out of sight if it wasn’t for poor execution and the same with Sheffield united?! Now LJ and his side have won 2 from 9 which is relegation form and we’ve been in relegation form since the start of 2018!

The best guide is the league table. We are nearer to the pray-off positions than we are to the relegation places. You can argue all day about who deserved to win a game, who deserved to lose a game. But it's all about results. If we beat a team that misses a host of chances, so what! If we lose to a team in a game in which we have more possession and chances, so what. The league table isn't lying now. And it won't lie at any point during the season.  

It seems a trifle unfair that our wins v Blackburn and Sheffield United contain the caveat that we were outplayed at times by them, yet our defeats against WBA and Stoke City don't contain the additional information that we pulverized them for long periods without getting the result we deserved. We have won as many as we have lost and we have won as many when not deserving the full 3pts as we have lost when we have deserved 3pts. A typical mid table team. If we were winning more matches we would be at the top and if we were losing more matches we would be at the bottom. Maybe because for many seasons now we spend part, or whole, of the season either in the relegation zone or battling for promotion that certain supporters aren't used to doing neither and so find it necessary to link us to the drop or they feel unsettled.

2 hours ago, Full nelson said:

For the first time since he became manager I actually don't think we will be in a relegation scrap this season 

One thing I don't think we will do is progress though. I've said it countless times ...this manager will not take us to the next level. And when I say next level...I mean competing for top 6 consistantly. His signings mirror his personality.... uninspiring and bang average . Just like he was as a player ...and now as a manager 

This league isn't the Impossible dream people keep making it out to be. Cardiff , Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford, Swansea, Palace, Blackpool....all have made it out of here . We just don't have the calibre of staff and players to do it. And when I say calibre of staff....I mean from the boardroom, to the manager....to the the coaches....to the players 

Until something changes in upstairs at the club...we will never get to the Prem

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

For the first time since he became manager I actually don't think we will be in a relegation scrap this season 

One thing I don't think we will do is progress though. I've said it countless times ...this manager will not take us to the next level. And when I say next level...I mean competing for top 6 consistantly. His signings mirror his personality.... uninspiring and bang average . Just like he was as a player ...and now as a manager 

This league isn't the Impossible dream people keep making it out to be. Cardiff , Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford, Swansea, Palace, Blackpool....all have made it out of here . We just don't have the calibre of staff and players to do it. And when I say calibre of staff....I mean from the boardroom, to the manager....to the the coaches....to the players 

It’s almost like sl is happy with us being bang average at best ?

14 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Square that with finances?

That said his recruitment, tactics and man management could all be improved- but the club lost 25 million last season, so we're in a fairly tight spot- or were until the sales this summer.

I think SL is happy that we are running sustainably. I'm really not sure what some people want, are they REALLY asking someone else to just chuck a heap of money at players, screw up the wage bill, incur the wrath off FFP, in the hope that we might get lucky and get promoted? Or do we get in the 'Big Name Manager' that comes with absolutely zero guarantee of success? Can anyone actually define 'ambition' other than SL blowing a heap of cash??? Does buying in youngsters in the hope of creating a quality team in a few years time not count as ambition? And a more sustainable one?

We sold 3 key players in the summer, partly to balance the books and recruited within our means. We appear to have a good crop of youngsters developing, so the future looks good. TBH, this season just looked like a stabilising one right from the outset, unlucky with injuries to the two young lads, and mid-table looks a fair assessment.

Archived