IGNORED

A view from the outside

Lez

18 hours ago, Fiale said:

Kalas and Webster are improvements but cannot cover the entire back line and are being let down by LB / RB - De Silva and Hunt are both better going forward than defending, the other options i.e. Pisano also does not inspire confidence.  LB / RB should probably be Kelly and Wright (when fit) this would give us a much better foundation to build on.  We are often outnumbered in the middle,  yet still somehow have no width due to playing so narrow - it's infuriating, we are losing out in midfield and not gaining anything wide.

Anyway... this season has been pretty poor, any hope to build on last season and learn from the Christmas onwards spell has been shattered. We are currently a worse team, playing worse football, so am feeling a little disappointed atm I also don't buy into the "whole new team" thing, we sold three players - yes they were our best players (Though I would say Kalas / Webster / Kelly probably are close to those lost) - it just seems some poor recruitment over the last three years is biting us in ass, and now we have used up pretty much the last of SC's signings we have a pretty bare uninspiring cupboard.

Pretty similar shape to last season's best football- actually our best football in years. Wright and Kelly at full back can narrow the space yet morph into a back 3 when necessary too. We would sacrifice width, but gain in the middle and in a compact shape- all about trade offs?

19 hours ago, Lez said:

Good evening everyone i am a long talk observer but thought I would give my view on the side and where we are.

I personally am becoming slightly disillusioned with everything BCFC and thats largely due to our performances on the pitch.

Im finding it really dull, i wouldnt mind us playing defensive workmanlike tenacious football if there was clear understanding and progress gping forward. I dont feel this progress is being made in terms of our style, structure and players understanding. Lee has been with us for some time now and i dont see clear direction. I think the Championship is very average this year (big clubs in a whole) with no standouts (i.e newcastles, wolves) and a great opportunity for average champ clubs....but we dont seem close.

I think our signings have been confused. We dont have a proper goalscorer, Diedhiou will get goals but disrupts our play whilst Weimann and Taylor are not going to get goals consistently at this level....they are not those type of players.

I do question the Diedhiou signing....not an LJ player and someone not worth the substantial money we have payed. Got goals last season granted but all round i feel a disappointment.

I do feel Lee is stuck in the mud, he doesnt know our best side, he doesnt know our best formation....he signs big names such as Kalas Baker etc but we continue to conceed really poor goals. I think it is very disappointing 3? Years later there is no real sign of philosophy and structure to our side.

I know people argue that we are now established, that is great, but i do think this seasons championship is very average. Norwich are top after all.

I think our formation is confused, our signings have been confused, and i think our manager is confused....this is resulting in poor performances with little excitement and maybe Lee has run out of ideas.

It's strange how certain City fans are saying they are disillusioned with our performances...yet when speaking to fans of other Clubs, they find our football exciting to watch and admire it.

Perhaps it's not City you are disillusioned with, but 'football' in general?

Our football is not drastically different to any other Club in this division.

In fact, there are far more 'boring' teams to watch in this league. And in every division.

It is what it is.

It's a division of such fine margins. The weekends performance was no different to any we've played all season. You win some, you lose some. It's pretty much the same for every team in this division.

A fluffed clearance where one of our own defenders went to go for the same ball.

Two mistakes by Walsh in his defending and positioning...a player everyone last week was saying should play.

You can't win.

As for the League being average...it is...but with higher quality than before. No stand out teams of far better quality.

I think in general, fans of football nowadays seem only happy when they win.

People get less of a buzz, because we watch too much football. It's not a treat anymore...you can watch it 24/7...we are all numb with it.

We all think we are managers and can do better...we can't.

Sometimes...it's best to just sit back, not think so deeply about it, and just enjoy the game. Admire both teams and what they are both trying to do.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's strange how certain City fans are saying they are disillusioned with our performances...yet when speaking to fans of other Clubs, they find our football exciting to watch and admire it.

In fact, there are far more 'boring' teams to watch in this league. And in every division.

It is what it is.

It's a division of such fine margins. The weekends performance was no different to any we've played all season. You win some, you lose some. It's pretty much the same for every team in this division.

A fluffed clearance where one of our own defenders went to go for the same ball.

Two mistakes by Walsh in his defending and positioning...a player everyone last week was saying should play.

You can't win.

As for the League being average...it is...but with higher quality than before. No stand out teams of far better quality.

People get less of a buzz, because we watch too much football. It's not a treat anymore...you can watch it 24/7...we are all numb with it.

Sometimes...it's best to just sit back, not think so deeply about it, and just enjoy the game. Admire both teams and what they are both trying to do.

That said, LJ's tactics- do you think they get the best out of what he has? I don't!

On the flipside, agree with a decent chunk of what you say- extremely fine margins always- did you know we've hit the woodwork 11 times in 16 League games?? That is according to my rough calculations, higher than any other top 10 side this season- probably up there with the highest in the division- luck or incompetence?

18 hours ago, Nbafc said:

This is exactly what I feel our club is crying out for, and has been on and off for years (I think I remember Tinnion, post sacking, saying that he had requested a DoF during his tenure). 

Someone with a wealth of experience and some pedigree. Not in the business of football but in the game of football. They won't be growing on trees, but if it was a priority surely could be done. 

That should make it easier when, inevitably, a new HC is needed, and minimise the disruption caused. The club was stripped of so much inbetween the Johnson snr departure to Cotterill's appointment. Never want those times to return. 

LJ has too much ego to be guided by anyone other than his dad, and SL would not want anyone in a position of authority on the football side with a mind of their own so I cannot personally see it happening.

I am baffled by the owner to be honest. He must see that to progress you need to improve everywhere, and that includes coaches. If we were stuck with three rookies running midfield he would do something about it but on the coaching side he appears happy to let things bumble on as they are.

Pretty mich agree with all that’s been said - however if we had a fox in the box able to score 20 goals a season (Maynard, Baldock at their best) I think we would easily be top 6 in this very average league.

we have to hope that either Eisa (when fit) or a great signing gives us that spark in the coming months ....

22 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Pretty mich agree with all that’s been said - however if we had a fox in the box able to score 20 goals a season (Maynard, Baldock at their best) I think we would easily be top 6 in this very average league.

we have to hope that either Eisa (when fit) or a great signing gives us that spark in the coming months ....

4 wide players coming in January then.

Does make me laugh a bit.... when he sticks to a team, comments like what does player x have to do to get in the team, or why did we sign player x when he’s not getting playing time. When he changes it “why does he keep changing the team he doesn’t know his best team/formation”.

As for influencing a game I would personally say it’s one of his better traits, I’ve seen a lot of games where his subs have made a massive difference. If anything I would say he needs to get better at starting the game the same way we finish games.

personally, I believe if we can find a forward that would put our chances we would easily be top 6 team this season. So many games we have created chance after chance and just don’t look like we will put the ball in the back of the net, then boom they get one chance and score.

It’s obvious some fans don’t like him nor will they ever like him, but people really do need to get off his back and stop questioning every single decision he makes. As you won’t find any manager that doesn’t get something wrong in a game. It’s about keeping them to a minimal.

Considering the wages we pay and money we spend we are doing exactly what that would suggest. 

5 minutes ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

Does make me laugh a bit.... when he sticks to a team, comments like what does player x have to do to get in the team, or why did we sign player x when he’s not getting playing time. When he changes it “why does he keep changing the team he doesn’t know his best team/formation”.

As for influencing a game I would personally say it’s one of his better traits, I’ve seen a lot of games where his subs have made a massive difference. If anything I would say he needs to get better at starting the game the same way we finish games.

personally, I believe if we can find a forward that would put our chances we would easily be top 6 team this season. So many games we have created chance after chance and just don’t look like we will put the ball in the back of the net, then boom they get one chance and score.

It’s obvious some fans don’t like him nor will they ever like him, but people really do need to get off his back and stop questioning every single decision he makes. As you won’t find any manager that doesn’t get something wrong in a game. It’s about keeping them to a minimal.

Considering the wages we pay and money we spend we are doing exactly what that would suggest. 

Subs yes, they can be good. In-game changes tactically- not so much?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That said, LJ's tactics- do you think they get the best out of what he has? I don't!

On the flipside, agree with a decent chunk of what you say- extremely fine margins always- did you know we've hit the woodwork 11 times in 16 League games?? That is according to my rough calculations, higher than any other top 10 side this season- probably up there with the highest in the division- luck or incompetence?

I think he's like most managers in this division...not all 'tactics' work out when the opposition is trying to stop you, and do their thing.

We've not been out played every game...neither have we truly dominated. But that's the nature of this league imo.

For the players we have, the resources compared to others in this league, we are doing as should be expected.

A few much bigger clubs than us are fairing far worse.

We are bang average...and I don't think any manager would do better under the Clubs ethos and guidelines.

Just opinions.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think he's like most managers in this division...not all 'tactics' work out when the opposition is trying to stop you, and do their thing.

We've not been out played every game...neither have we truly dominated. But that's the nature of this league imo.

For the players we have, the resources compared to others in this league, we are doing as should be expected.

A few much bigger clubs than us are fairing far worse.

We are bang average...and I don't think any manager would do better under the Clubs ethos and guidelines.

Just opinions.

It's all opinions indeed.

Agree about how close this League is- there is no machine like Cardiff,. no outstanding side like Wolves or once they got their act together, Fulham- seems to take them 4 months to half a season which is odd but there we go! Some are doing better than expected, some worse- that's all normal.

My problem is though tactically. Why sign passing centre backs in Webster, Kalas and use a play out from the back ethos then not put a consistent system in place that gives the best chance of success with it?

Vs Preston, I would quite like to see this side.

O'Leary

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly OR DaSilva

Pack

O'Dowda Brownhill Walsh Eliasson

Weimann OR Taylor

Or this one even- DaSilva can seem to get forward at times:

O'Leary

Hunt Kalas Webster Kelly

Pack

Eliasson Brownhill Walsh DaSilva

Weimann OR Taylor

You can create more passing lanes with a shape like that- have reservations about Hunt and 2 wingers admittedly, but Pack can drop into a midfield 3, or into a back 3 or Kelly can shift across- but importantly with such a 3 you can provide both triangles and some security. Our current shape feels stilted, a bit uncomfortable. Plus Weimann and Taylor have much better movement and ability in the press than Diedhiou.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Upon promotion to the Champ:

Fielding

Ayling / Flint / Baker or Moore

Fredericks / Pack / Smith / Freeman / Bryan

Kodjia / Wilbraham or Robinson

I reckon that team would beat our current line-up.  Have we progressed much?

Except the Cotts team wss regularly getting spanked in this league. Which was the main reason for him getting sacked. You can try arguing that the league was stronger then but I'm not sure that's true.

45 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Except the Cotts team wss regularly getting spanked in this league. Which was the main reason for him getting sacked. You can try arguing that the league was stronger then but I'm not sure that's true.

All those players were pretty much good enough  individually and in most cases have done well in the Champ or moved on to better things. That’s my point.

Cotts was indeed stubborn re his 5212 formation and he dug his own grave to that extent. I think he sulked about the summer recruitment rather than getting in with what he had.  

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It is what it is.

You can't win.

That might be true for some people but I only watch City at home and listen when they are away.

fans are going to have a different perspective of their own team as they would probably have a deeper knowledge of the squad etc and watch them more often and base their opinion over seasons of watching. Also they would feel more attached to their club and have a more subjective view. 

Archived