IGNORED

Judge LJ on his two full seasons.

Boston Red

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

Ok thanks for the reply, personally think we lump it a lot of the time.

We often try and play channels as an outlet if playing out from the back isn't on, could have been linked to our press and then being able to win the ball back higher up the pitch. 

3 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

In old money that’s called lumping it

Different for me is the intention behind it, are you just clearing it to get the ball away from your area or for the purpose as said with trying to win the ball upfield with the press. 

8 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Anybody can talk like they’ve been on a fa corse mate, doesn’t mean you’re right 

Long passes and long balls- or lumping it- generally aren't the same.

Centre back brings the ball out or a ball playing central midfielder drops back to receive, great quick diagonal pass to the winger/wide midfielder, doesn't strike me as a traditional long ball- ttraditional long balls tend to be more central with a hefty striker. Traditional long balls (or lumping it) tended to have had a lower accuracy rate, about winning the second ball etc.

Chalk and cheese.

Game has changed etc.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Long passes and long balls- or lumping it- generally aren't the same.

Centre back brings the ball out or a ball playing central midfielder drops back to receive, great quick diagonal pass to the winger/wide midfielder, doesn't strike me as a traditional long ball- ttraditional long balls tend to be more central with a hefty striker.

Chalk and cheese.

Game has changed etc.

Understand that , we still lump it a lot

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Some very good and rational posts here ?

No one has mentioned (unless I missed it) that LJ stated when he arrived he needed Three (3) transfer windows.  How many has he had ?

Is it 5 or 6. 

Out arch 'love to hate him character' Warnock stated that LJ has the 'dream ticket' here, and for sure he has.   I also think of SL comments at the start of the season,  that last season was not too bright as ending up mid table from where we were around new year was not what was expected. He wants to see year on year improvement.   If we 'bounce along' mid table, as i suspect we will, perhaps the pressure might mount a bit on the coach as clearly no improvement.  It is interesting period in the life and times of BCFC.  Many positives in the infrastructure  and what's happening in and around the club,   but same old inconsistency on the pitch.  I do not buy we are a 'young team' learning.  I want to see round pegs in round holes, and I want to see a settled side with LJ knowing his best 11.  

Agree with much if the above.  The bit in bold is what I want to see - plus, a player on the bench, that when given his opportunity and takes it, becomes the new man in possession of the shirt.  In certain positions you know who’s gonna play 9 times out of 10, in other positions you’ve no idea....nor when the team is announced, why that player got in, or retained their place.

I guess that is the other LJ flaw - team selection - too often has to make revolutionary changes during the 90 rather than the odd tactical tweak.  He did it correctly versus Hull, but that was the exception to the rule.

10 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Understand that , we still lump it a lot

I have no problem with us hitting “semi-hopeful” balls down the sides, of it either a) turns the opposition around and we squeeze in behind or b) they knock the ball out for our throw and we then get possession in their third.  Too often this season and more often of late, the ball comes back into our half under their control because we don’t get up the pitch as a team.  Saturday was a classic example of 3 separate units without the ball.

As I understand it LJ doesn't pick the players we sign, they are identified by the scouting network. LJ just says 'I need a wide-right player' with certain attributesand Mark Ashton and the scouting network draw up a list of candidates. LJ has the right to object if he doesn't want a player but he's a Head Coach not a manager in the old sense so is only partly responsible for transfer failures or successes.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As I understand it LJ doesn't pick the players we sign, they are identified by the scouting network. LJ just says 'I need a wide-right player' with certain attributesand Mark Ashton and the scouting network draw up a list of candidates. LJ has the right to object if he doesn't want a player but he's a Head Coach not a manager in the old sense so is only partly responsible for transfer failures or successes.

On his last interview with Geoff on radio Bristol he said he was responsible for all transfers and he has the final say.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That's not the way it's been explained previously by Club officials including LJ himself

Previously....you are correct (MA twisting LJ’s arm behind his back)

Now....LJ Having the final say - and I actually think this summer’s recruitment was ok.

Lee said at the start "Judge me after 3 windows". How many windows has he had now?

We have had quite a few failed signings, but that's life sometimes.  You would hope that his failure ratio would have been a bit lower though.

We should not be calling for him to be sacked at this time, in my opinion, but if we go on another bad run like last season, we don't have the head start we had then.

But Lee really needs to sort out the apparent lack of motivation and get the players fired up pretty soon otherwise a change at the top might be needed in the New Year.

To be fair though, how much can you expect when you have had to sell £25 millions worth of players to balance the books?

31 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Is just ok good enough Dave?

We’ll see whether “ok” turns into “good” or “bad” now virtually everyone is back fit.  With the squad we have, I think the players are good enough individually to play better than we have as a team.  I’ve been disappointed with a number of performances and we could easily be a few points worse off.  18/19 points would look a lot worse, but I’m grateful for 22 points...4 points off the play-offs, and still a huge carrot for the players (and management) if we can start to play as a cohesive unit.  

It is fine margins, but we often use this phrase to say we aren’t far away.  It never works the other way around.  Was it fine margins we were in 2nd place last season?  Probably, yet we all say it’s “deserved”.  Fine margins work both ways.

We need to turn in better all-round performances.  Swansea (a) was our best display of the season.  We’ve not got close to that level in any other full game I’ve seen live or on tv/stream...I missed both Sheffield games.  Stoke for 45 minutes was good.

There is a team in there, but I do think it’s back to basics.  If you’re gonna play 442 with Diedhiou, play the style that gets the best out of him.  If he doesn’t put it in or show signs of the right desire / attitude then don’t play that way, and don’t play Diedhiou.  To my mind there needs to be a few reality checks out there.  This group of players look like they can’t self-regulate poor attitude.  Good teams do, they drag you up with them, or they spit you out.

I’m hoping the game against our perennial bogey team Preston is the alarm bell for this group of players to think:

”we are better than Preston, why do they keep beating us” and do something about it.  They might realise it’s about being a collective, in it together.  I’d be showing them that Leeds video and asking them when the last time they bust a guy for their team-mate?

*no offence to our PNE forum members - you know what i’m Trying to say.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Lee said at the start "Judge me after 3 windows". How many windows has he had now?

We have had quite a few failed signings, but that's life sometimes.  You would hope that his failure ratio would have been a bit lower though.

We should not be calling for him to be sacked at this time, in my opinion, but if we go on another bad run like last season, we don't have the head start we had then.

But Lee really needs to sort out the apparent lack of motivation and get the players fired up pretty soon otherwise a change at the top might be needed in the New Year.

To be fair though, how much can you expect when you have had to sell £25 millions worth of players to balance the books?

:facepalm:

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

That’s giving him an excuse.  He had a budget last season and between him, MA and SL, they overspent massively.  This summer was the consequence.

Had he been able to keep the “big 3”, he wouldn’t have been bringing any of Mäenpää, Hunt, Webster, Kalas, Dasilva (both loan), Watkins, Weimann, Eisa, or Adelakun In, and would probably have had to shift one or two out too.

That might not have been the worst idea (!!! ?) assuming the big 3 were motivated to “go again”.  They obviously weren’t though were they? ?

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

His own words, quoted on the BBC Sport site, in May '16, were:

"Top get a true reflection of one of my teams it'll probably take three windows but we'll look to fast-track that"

The following November, on the club OS, under a sub heading: 'Lee Johnson has reiterated it could take three windows to get his City team where he wants it to be' he said:

"This is why I've said we need three transfer windows  because clearly there's still business to be done to match the top couple of teams."

Two years and another four windows on, there's still business to be done to match the top couple of teams. Clearly.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ll see whether “ok” turns into “good” or “bad” now virtually everyone is back fit.  With the squad we have, I think the players are good enough individually to play better than we have as a team.  I’ve been disappointed with a number of performances and we could easily be a few points worse off.  18/19 points would look a lot worse, but I’m grateful for 22 points...4 points off the play-offs, and still a huge carrot for the players (and management) if we can start to play as a cohesive unit.  

It is fine margins, but we often use this phrase to say we aren’t far away.  It never works the other way around.  Was it fine margins we were in 2nd place last season?  Probably, yet we all say it’s “deserved”.  Fine margins work both ways.

We need to turn in better all-round performances.  Swansea (a) was our best display of the season.  We’ve not got close to that level in any other full game I’ve seen live or on tv/stream...I missed both Sheffield games.  Stoke for 45 minutes was good.

There is a team in there, but I do think it’s back to basics.  If you’re gonna play 442 with Diedhiou, play the style that gets the best out of him.  If he doesn’t put it in or show signs of the right desire / attitude then don’t play that way, and don’t play Diedhiou.  To my mind there needs to be a few reality checks out there.  This group of players look like they can’t self-regulate poor attitude.  Good teams do, they drag you up with them, or they spit you out.

I’m hoping the game against our perennial bogey team Preston is the alarm bell for this group of players to think:

”we are better than Preston, why do they keep beating us” and do something about it.  They might realise it’s about being a collective, in it together.  I’d be showing them that Leeds video and asking them when the last time they bust a guy for their team-mate?

Agree mate , we haven’t got any leaders on the pitch , lj said we needed leaders yet still know sign of one, for me we look far to easy to play against, Brentford away we showed a few signs of being a bit more nasty or maybe it was just being more street wise , sadly it seems that was a 1 off.

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

His own words, quoted on the BBC Sport site, in May '16, were:

"Top get a true reflection of one of my teams it'll probably take three windows but we'll look to fast-track that"

The following November, on the club OS, under a sub heading: 'Lee Johnson has reiterated it could take three windows to get his City team where he wants it to be' he said:

"This is why I've said we need three transfer windows  because clearly there's still business to be done to match the top couple of teams."

Two years and another four windows on, there's still business to be done to match the top couple of teams. Clearly.

Blimey - i’ve never seen that last bit before.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blimey - i’ve never seen that last bit before.

And some folk on here do not think SL and Co have promotion and the PL in mind.....

It has been clear from the words that come from the mouths of the two or three people that call the shots at Bristol City that promotion, eventually, is the aim - SL was pretty clear about what he wanted to see this season - that the Prem is the destination, and everything we do now is supposed to be leading us there, however slowly. 

12 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

As I stated he has the right to reject a deal but he doesn't identify the potential signings

So he didn't identify Watkins ? Kent ? 

I'm sure he uses his knowledge to tip off the club as to certain players he knows and wants .

Equally other players are surely proposed to him following his demand for a position that needs strengthening.

He probably has the final say but player signings are a team effort .

Archived