IGNORED

David Moyes

hoxton casual

Sorry if everyone on OTIB knows this, but Moyes said on Sound of the City, he thought he had been offered the City manager job when he was at Preston, but we ended up giving it to Pulis! That ended well ? He was very complimentary about his time playing here. Loved the place by the sounds of it. Would he come back one day?

4 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Sorry if everyone on OTIB knows this, but Moyes said on Sound of the City, he thought he had been offered the City manager job when he was at Preston, but we ended up giving it to Pulis! That ended well ? He was very complimentary about his time playing here. Loved the place by the sounds of it. Would he come back one day?

He already has. 

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Pep could say he loved the place from his last season visit and it wouldn’t matter a jot,we are stuck we the unsackable one

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Moyes managerial career by job reads

SUCCESS

SUCCESS

FAILURE

FAILURE

FAILURE

Hardly inspiring

He has managed 6 clubs, not 5.

At West Ham, he was brought in on a fairly short term contract with one aim, don't go down. They didn't, so I think you'd have to consider that a success given the circumstances.

I think Manchester United, Sociedad and Sunderland would generally be considered failures so you're right about those in some sense. However, when you consider the fact that he was given one season or less in all three of those, you could say he's been successful at every club where he was given time to build a team.

Depends how you look at it.

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

He has managed 6 clubs, not 5.

At West Ham, he was brought in on a fairly short term contract with one aim, don't go down. They didn't, so I think you'd have to consider that a success given the circumstances.

I think Manchester United, Sociedad and Sunderland would generally be considered failures so you're right about those in some sense. However, when you consider the fact that he was given one season or less in all three of those, you could say he's been successful at every club where he was given time to build a team.

Depends how you look at it.

Spot on,has lee been successful at any club and I think the honest answer is no to be brutally honest 

I don’t know why I even open threads with his name, makes me so depressed. :no:

He would be a perfect Manager for us, but sadly we have missed the boat regarding him coming here I think. I can’t see LJ being asked to leave anytime soon and Moysie isn’t going to be unemployed forever*

*To be clear I’m not calling for his head, but if there was one replacement that I’d want ( really, really want) it would be David Moyes. ?

4 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Scott Davidson had offered him the job, but he was then overruled by the rest of the board, who wanted Pulis instead.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

SUCCESS

SUCCESS

FAILURE

FAILURE

FAILURE

Hardly inspiring

He had a 53% win percentage at Man Utd....yet he was seen as a failure there. Genuine question, can a manager with that record be seen as a failure at such a huge club just because Sir Alex had a 60% win percentage there over 26 years? Yes, Moyes wasn’t there very long but he only lost 15 of 51 games.....I suppose we are used to our very limited expectations whereas Man U fans expect trophies every single season....

56 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Surely there's a reason he was only given one season or less?

Yes, of course there is. The clubs he hired wanted instant success and unfortunately for him he was unable to deliver it in those situations.

The circumstances and demands of a management job are always different at every place you go to. The point is that he might well be suited to the job at our club if it's more forgiving, which our board certainly were with Johnson when he/we was/were performing extremely poorly (I'm talking Nottingham Forest away here, the 8th consecutive defeat, not this season or last). I'm just playing devils advocate to the post, I'm not necessarily saying I want Moyes or that I want Johnson gone.

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He had a 53% win percentage at Man Utd....yet he was seen as a failure there. Genuine question, can a manager with that record be seen as a failure at such a huge club just because Sir Alex had a 60% win percentage there over 26 years? Yes, Moyes wasn’t there very long but he only lost 15 of 51 games.....I suppose we are used to our very limited expectations whereas Man U fans expect trophies every single season....

Win percentages are nonsense so wont even go there.

He was given a title winning squad and made a huge mess of it.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

He would be a perfect Manager for us, but sadly we have missed the boat regarding him coming here I think. I can’t see LJ being asked to leave anytime soon and Moysie isn’t going to be unemployed forever*

*To be clear I’m not calling for his head, but if there was one replacement that I’d want ( really, really want) it would be David Moyes. ?

Chanellling the Spice Girls already!?

42 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It was a poor winning title side which is why fergie being the clever man he is jumped ship knowing he couldn’t compete with the rising Man City side,250 millions pound the drain later and are man united any better under Jose (I’m being kind it’s probably treble that)

If LJ were to go (hypothetical) surely Moyes would be a massive appointment for City.  Sunderland were a basket case; Sociedad a wild card (and he didn’t speak Spanish). At West Ham was a solid job. United sure, he failed, but subsequent years have put it in perspective. If City fans say they wouldn’t want a manager as he wasn’t good at Man Utd, surely we’ve lost a bit of perspective. 

11 hours ago, RedM said:

Purely on his managerial acumen of course RedM ,you little minx you .

David Moyes 

- plays dull brand of football

- poor judge of player. signing history poor

- only success was at first two clubs he managed

- not proven to give youth a chance

- doubting how hungry he would be for success

I would much prefer our next manager to be a tactical coach, maybe from Europe, who plays exciting football.

People forget/ignore/aren’t interested that we have a definitive policy in place of using our academy and not spending millions of pounds on players, partially so we abide by FFP and the old school type of manager like David Moyes would never fit in with that. But I can can appreciate the idea.

The policy is the correct way(to me) of going forward and being sustainable and giving ourselves the best chance of being a decent team and not going bust (again). 

People wanting instant success and those who feel despondent that we haven’t been in the top league for 30 years won’t agree with the policy but it’s there and won’t change anytime soon. People will be annoyed by that and SL and LJ will take the brunt of that but LJ has bought into that philosophy and those saying he will never be sacked even if we got relegated are wrong, he would be but whilst it is still in its infancy and we are doing ‘ okay’ no, he won’t be sacked and quite rightly.

But forums are places to express thoughts and whether you think the suggestions are ridiculous/ never going to happen or it’s just the same rhetoric being pushed by the same individuals time after time, that is what makes this forum one of the busiest of all Championship teams. Which is a good thing.

Whichever side you land on, we all want the best for Bristol City and that’s the main thing but if we can all just appreciate/understand  others views instead of rubbishing them, and I’ve been guilty of that sometimes, then what a delightful utopia we would be part of.

(Apologies for spouting all on this thread)

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

Moyes, or whoever had taken over from Fergie, was on a hiding to nothing. 

AF had almost ensured that the next man in the hot seat was set up to fail. Very cleverly orchestrated, by a genius, manipulative mind. They still haven’t recovered from the mess that he left them in now. And I’m sure that, deep down, he’s loving it. 

Moyes record at Manchester United wasn't brilliant by the standards of Alex Ferguson, but he was somewhat undone by Paul Scholes retiring (remember the difference he made to Fetguson's teams when brought back in) plus his new Chief Executive was useless at getting players signed. He tried to buy Fabregas, Khedira from Real Madrid, and Ander Herrera, but all those negotiations stalled. In the end the 2 "big" players he did manage to sign were Fellaini & Juan Mata, both of whom have continued to play under both Van Gaal & Mourinho.

Given the time that Ferguson had been given when he started there, Moyes may well have been a success, but times had changed, with instant results in the Premier League expected, and Champions League qualification required as a minimum, and fans who had gone from craving success to expecting it just to happen.

Real Sociedad was a punt on both the club's and Moyes's part, which didn't work out.

Sunderland have been a basket case club for years, and unsurprisingly, Moyes was another in their long list of managerial casualties that includes other previously successful managers such as Simon Grayson & Chris Coleman. Plus Moyes resigned rather than being sacked after they were relegated.

As for West Ham, Moyes was employed to keep them in the Premier League on a short term basis until the end of the season. They finished 13th, so job done, although at times it was a bit bumpy.

So do I think that given the time & resources that LJ has had that Moyes could achieve more? On the basis of his record and his experience,  yes. Would he come here? Possibly. Is Lansdown going to get rid of LJ anytime soon? No.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Moyes, or whoever had taken over from Fergie, was on a hiding to nothing. 

AF had almost ensured that the next man in the hot seat was set up to fail. Very cleverly orchestrated, by a genius, manipulative mind. They still haven’t recovered from the mess that he left them in now. And I’m sure that, deep down, he’s loving it. 

Is this a wind up?  Most ridiculous post I've ever read on here.....and I've read some nonsense over the years! 

He left them with a title winning squad.  People say they were poor but couldn't have been that poor as they were the best team in England.  

Ferguson goes to most games.  You think he is loving watching them lose?  Clearly loves the club.  

If you were fishing then you have got me.  Guess you probably are.....

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

SUCCESS

SUCCESS

FAILURE

FAILURE

FAILURE

Hardly inspiring

Harsh.Says more about current manager expectations in my opinion. Clubs weren’t so quick to sack before.

He could’ve been a success at Manchester United, subsequent big name managers have struggled. Real Sociedad was an odd move but agree, an unsuccessful one. Sunderland he was never likely to succeed. West Ham you could arguably call it a success, he kept them up so definitely not a failure.

Madness that anyone thinks this wouldn’t be a good appointment. Can’t see it happening though even if there was a vacancy.

Archived