IGNORED

Absolute shambles today..

Robbored

33 minutes ago, Chappers said:

We have just one player with the ability to run at the opposition at pace, COD, and he seems to be out of favour.

Apparently we are trying to get him to sign a new contract. Good luck with that! When the manager insists on bringing on Jamie Paterson every week in literally all possible circumstances, regardless of form or physique, then if you’re Callum you’re probably unlikely to sign an autograph for LJ, let alone a contract.

45 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Too right it is an abosolute shambles. It will continue to be so as long as LJ sets up the team to suit the opposition.

Exactly. If you always change your way of playing to suit the opposition you will come up with 46 different styles of play a season, and at the end of it, you will never have developed or worked at your own style and your own identity. 

23 minutes ago, Olé said:

Apparently we are trying to get him to sign a new contract. Good luck with that! When the manager insists on bringing on Jamie Paterson every week in literally all possible circumstances, regardless of form or physique, then if you’re Callum you’re probably unlikely to sign an autograph for LJ, let alone a contract.

Top plan, make him realise his future lies elsewhere, and attract lower bids as he’s not a first team regular. 

It was indeed an absolute shambles of a performance today, but as soon as I saw team sheet I feared the worst. There was nobody in that starting XI who excited me at the start and that just became more and more apparent as the game went on. 

We had a front two who are horribly out of form and no wingers or flair players at all in the starting 11. Johnson has signed stacks of wide players (O’Dowda, Eliasson, Watkins, Paterson, Adelukan) and because went out to match Preston’s formation not one of them started. You look at the side he picked today and, if he carries on with those kind of selections, you have to wonder where the hell the goals are going to come from. Where is this mythical ‘identity‘ that he bangs on about? I have no clue what it is supposed to be anymore.  

I’ve always taken a balanced view on Johnson and been in favour of him being given time. But after that, and the lack of any coherent plan that’s been apparent pretty much all season if I’m honest, I’m beginning to have major doubts. 

Worrying times. 

Been a backer of Johnson, but 1st time I have said, Johnson must go — shambles of a performance today. It will take ages to get him gone BUT today was a game changer for me as the crowd turned. It will get nasty now going forward.

But TBF, Johnson has had enough time! 

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Then play the team that played second half against Stoke.  Not rocket science is it.  4 3 3  what ever, 

Agreed- the 4-3-3 as we played v Stoke, we looked very good that 2nd half- I know we lost but I took encouragement from the performance. Assumed it maybe the new Plan A. (Nothing wrong incidentally with the odd deployment of a coherent Plan B or C IMO).

Now though we have the worst of all world's- in general which is a Plan A that's failing yet regular personnel changes too which creates confusion and instability.

Took nothing positive away from today- not one thing.

@GasDestroyer Did it turn that much? There was booing sure and some isolated chants/shouts of 'Johnson Out' but not irretrievable yet I feel.

31 minutes ago, Olé said:

I said after the game that if I was COD, I would be looking for a move in January. To keep his international place, he needs to be playing more regularly, and LJ just doesn't seem to want to use him. 

I am not sure that he has got back to the former was showing last season before the injury, but I would rather COD than Paterson as a sub to bring on.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I said after the game that if I was COD, I would be looking for a move in January. To keep his international place, he needs to be playing more regularly, and LJ just doesn't seem to want to use him. 

I am not sure that he has got back to the former was showing last season before the injury, but I would rather COD than Paterson as a sub to bring on.

It’s difficult to get form when you are only playing occasionally. End product not always there, but in a very pedestrian squad, the ability to run at defenders at pace gives you an extra option.

As for the current form, the usual outcome is that LJ plays it clever for a few weeks with changes in formation and personnel, then eventually, goes 4-4-2 with consistent selections, and results improve. Normally I say play to our strengths, but after the last two performances, I’m not sure what they are.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- the 4-3-3 as we played v Stoke, we looked very good that 2nd half- I know we lost but I took encouragement from the performance. Assumed it maybe the new Plan A. (Nothing wrong incidentally with the odd deployment of a coherent Plan B or C IMO).

Now though we have the worst of all world's- in general which is a Plan A that's failing yet regular personnel changes too which creates confusion and instability.

Took nothing positive away from today- not one thing.

I have no idea why LJ went for a 3-5-2 formation, especially as you say we played well 2nd half against Stoke as a 4-3-3. That allows Walsh to play in midfield, so some forward intent, but 3 forward options ahead of him to choose from. Plus Da Silva and Hunt could still come forward up the wings.

And if we wanted to match Preston today, who played 4-2-3-1, we could have done that as well, without the confusion of playing 3 centre backs. And again that would have probably suited us better, with Pack and Brownhill forming the 2, plus it have allowed for more forward support than we managed today, when Diedhiou was often completely isolated up front.

To be honest, anything would have been better than what we actually watched.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I have no idea why LJ went for a 3-5-2 formation, especially as you say we played well 2nd half against Stoke as a 4-3-3. That allows Walsh to play in midfield, so some forward intent, but 3 forward options ahead of him to choose from. Plus Da Silva and Hunt could still come forward up the wings.

And if we wanted to match Preston today, who played 4-2-3-1, we could have done that as well, without the confusion of playing 3 centre backs. And again that would have probably suited us better, with Pack and Brownhill forming the 2, plus it have allowed for more forward support than we managed today, when Diedhiou was often completely isolated up front.

To be honest, anything would have been better than what we actually watched.

Absolutely agree with this- Diedhiou didn't do well but the tactics were little help either. Isolated as you say. As for the 3-5-2, I wouldn't say I'm opposed to the idea, but Baker as part of it not sure- Kelly, Webster and Kalas though may have worked better.

However yeah 4-3-3 a no brained IMO, showed it v Stoke, it can work many ways too with Pack dropping and then the midfield 4 more advanced supporting Diedhiou perhaps. 4-1-4-1, but it's so fluid- wish we adopted it and properly back in August.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Dreadful performance throughout. City were utterly clueless. The worst performance I’ve seen in ages. They could barely put three passes together against a side who’ve been struggling all season. Very very disappointing............:facepalm:

Where did it go wrong?  Is LJ overthinking the tactical element of the game and setting up to counter the opposition strengths? I know it worked against the Blades but it hasn’t worked since. Surely when at AG he should set up to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us?

Was it the team selection? As most of us wanted Walsh got a start but LJ had told the team to be more direct to counter PNE style and the ball was going over his head for much of the game and he gets subbed after an hour. The out of form Pack stayed on.......

Famara looks utterly bereft of confidence and struggled until he was subbed but cheers when his number went up was unacceptable imv. Any confidence he had will certainly be gone after that. 

Losing at home in such a shambolic fashion is the last thing any team needs before the international break especially no game until the 24th November away at Elland Rd. 

Hopefullly LJ will have got things sorted out in training by then.

oh! thank god it's only the 17th game of the season those training sessions have been so rewarding so far.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Never mind Paterson how poor is Eliason ? How O’Dowda didn’t manage to get on the pitch I don’t know even throwing Eisa on might of shown a bit of bravery, I still can’t get over the fact that we tried to “match” PNE’s formation, a formation that good that they had the worst away record in the division 

12 hours ago, swampy said:

A friend at Trowbridge today was discussing Bristol clubs.  His comment "City are so corporate" resonated ... meanwhile it was fun with the grandson ... and he loved the story of 'Big John' who came from nearby Dilton Marsh.

P1050593.JPG

SL says this is his man to take the club forward, like it or lump it.

Archived