IGNORED

Sam Allardyce

Boston Red

If we want to get out of this league, we need to put 10 million on the table and appoint Sam Allardyce. We then get 110 million when we get promoted. Steve Lansdown earns well over 50 million a year in interest on his wealth alone. If he is serious about getting promotion this is what he needs to do. He went out and got the best in Pat Lam for Bristol rugby. They were promoted. He needs to do the same for the football. 

Sam Allardyce got Bolton and West Ham promoted from the second tier. Under him we would win games until we got to 10th in the Premier League, then it would be boring. Fine. I'll take that. 

He is not a long-ball manager in the style of Wimbledon, Sheff Utd, Cambridge of old, like Tony Pulis is. (He played Jermain Defoe up front on his own at Sunderland) He is a defensive manager who eliminates defensive errors, coaches his back four brilliantly, is ruthless at not conceding after you have gone ahead, and makes sure you have two lines of four and can defend and attack a set-piece properly. He draws games you would otherwise lose, wins games you would otherwise draw, and almost never lets go of a lead stupidly. From where we are now that sounds like heaven. 

As we have an array of attacking players shambolically thrown together into a hodge-podge of alternating team selections, bizarre formations, and inexplicable substitutions, we would still get the benefit of their talent. He signed Jay-Jay Okacha, Ivan Campo, Nicolas Anelka, and Yuri Djorkaeff for Bolton, and took them to fifth. Our attackers can attack properly once we have consistency and organisation behind them. He is not opposed to attacking football and attacking players, but you can't attack if you don't have the ball and you can't win matches if you concede too many goals. 

It is unfair to call him a dinosaur when he was the first manager to look at sports science, Prozone, detailed statistical analysis on players etc 15 years ago. He told his players that if they win 3-0 the management have to eat sheep's testicles and hot curry. But if they lose 3-0 or more they have to eat them. Since when, in this ghastly deja vu world of Johnson's endless tactical tinkering and know-it-all start-again-from-scratch masterplans, has there ever been any fun like that at Ashton Gate?

Towards the end of the season at Bolton he told his players that if they won he would give them 5 days off. His backroom team went ballistic, saying their recovery, fitness, numbers etc would go out of the window. They won. He did it again. They won again. 5 wins later Bolton were fifth and nearly in the Champions League.

Do I like Mr Allardyce as a person? Probably I don't particularly like the way he has gone from club to club collecting money, and he got what he deserved when his greed cost him the England job. But if it is almost certain that he would get us promoted to the Premier League, and we do not appoint him because we are hell-bent on some half-baked unicorn chase of only getting promotion under the terms and conditions of a pile of managerial waffle like "5 pillars", "sustainable investment", and whatever it is this week, then we only have ourselves to blame if, indeed, we never get promoted to the Premier League. 

If Mr Lansdown does not wish to risk losing 10 million in Allardyce's wages in case we do not get promotion, then I would respectfully point out to him that he has already wasted 100 million trying to get promotion with managers who have no experience of success whatsoever, like Lee Johnson, Keith Millen, and Brian Tinnion. A very good chance of success at a price, is better than a very bad chance of success at a lower price again and again and again for 18 years. 

Many of these arguments also apply to David Moyes, ie we have to pay money for managerial quality,  but Moyes has never won promotion from the second tier.

So let's appoint Sam Allardyce and get out of this wretched league. 

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Sam ****ing Allardyce. If ever there was a mismatch of manager and club it would be him and us.

Moyes I can understand. But Allardyce? Really?

We are currently the divisions soft touch, that would stop immediately.

We get the chance of Warnock turn our noses up and Cardiff end up in the Premier League!

We have people not going, going out of loyalty or simply because their lives are so buggered up they have nothing better to do!! You only have to read some of the stuff on here. 

Allardyce maybe or maybe not, but something has to give, because I know if we had a game next week I wouldn’t bother.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So we should just choose a crap style of football then? Beggars belief as an opinion!

How would you describe the complete dross acted out by a collection of shrinking violets at the moment ?

You obviously have a limited knowledge of Allardyce or forget some of the football played by Bolton or at Blackpool 

He does what’s needed at a particular club at a particular time and at a different level , and gets sides organised

You needn’t worry though Allardyce would never come here in a million years 

24 minutes ago, RedDave said:

NO thanks. Turgid football. Dont want to watch it.

Ask West Ham and Newcastle fans what his football is like. Bolton was a long time ago

That's fair enough RedDave, but my point is that he would get us promoted with winning football, and then get us to tenth in the Premier League. After that it would be awful to watch, but we can go again from there. Couple of seasons in the Prem at least, then parachute payments in the worst case scenario. It would change the club.

I know West Ham and Newcastle fans could not stand his style of football, but they were in mid-table of the Premier League at the time. I just want someone to get us to the middle of the Premier League. 

Put it this way. I don't want to spend the rest of my life carrying a ladder around, but there are times when you need a ladder to get over a wall. 

However I accept that some, like you, would not want Allardyce at any price.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How would you describe the complete dross acted out by a collection of shrinking violets at the moment ?

You obviously have a limited knowledge of Allardyce or forget some of the football played by Bolton or at Blackpool 

He does what’s needed at a particular club at a particular time and at a different level , and gets sides organised

You needn’t worry though Allardyce would never come here in a million years 

People on here don't want certain managers they call dinosaurs, but nothing can be worse then what the team are doing at the moment. Those dinosaurs would make us hard to beat straight away and get respect from players which I don't think Johnson has from a lot of them. 

Warnock, Moyes, big Sam, mick McCarthy etc might not be glamorous but they know how to get results and have success on their CV's

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We are currently the divisions soft touch, that would stop immediately.

We get the chance of Warnock turn our noses up and Cardiff end up in the Premier League!

We have people not going, going out of loyalty or simply because their lives are so buggered up they have nothing better to do!! You only have to read some of the stuff on here. 

Allardyce maybe or maybe not, but something has to give, because I know if we had a game next week I wouldn’t bother.

I think Warnock would love a crack as manger here.  One season with him here could be what the club needs 

7 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I think Warnock would love a crack as manger here.  One season with him here could be what the club needs 

Yes!!

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The fact that people on here turn their noses up at

Warnock

McCarthy

Moyes

Allardyce 

when we’ve got Golden Boy and his bluff , in charge is simply laughable

The reason Bristol City will never achieve 

50 likes

Please SL put LJ out of his misery!

22 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

That's fair enough RedDave, but my point is that he would get us promoted with winning football, and then get us to tenth in the Premier League. After that it would be awful to watch, but we can go again from there. Couple of seasons in the Prem at least, then parachute payments in the worst case scenario. It would change the club.

I know West Ham and Newcastle fans could not stand his style of football, but they were in mid-table of the Premier League at the time. I just want someone to get us to the middle of the Premier League. 

Put it this way. I don't want to spend the rest of my life carrying a ladder around, but there are times when you need a ladder to get over a wall. 

However I accept that some, like you, would not want Allardyce at any price.

Amazed you can guarantee promotion and tenth!

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The fact that people on here turn their noses up at

Warnock

McCarthy

Moyes

Allardyce 

when we’ve got Golden Boy and his bluff , in charge is simply laughable

The reason Bristol City will never achieve 

Good evening BobBobSuperBob, nice to see you back on the forum.

I agree. Nobody wants Warnock, McCarthy, Moyes, or Allardyce at their club. Everton fans were ecstatic when Moyes left. Warnock goes from club to club. Ipswich fans wanted McCarthy out, and West Ham and Newcastle fans can't stand Big Sam.

Nobody wants to go to the dentist or into hospital for an operation either. But our dentist surgeries and our hospital wards are full of people voluntarily choosing to go there, because they go there TO GET THE JOB DONE. To achieve a particular aim. An aim that has utterly eluded us since the 1970s. 

And if they did get us promotion, that is 20 wins a season. Think of today's horror show 1-0 defeat to Preston, and imagine it under one of those managers. A routine, comfortable 2-0 win with a goal in each half and a clean sheet. Nothing special, but we all have a nice weekend, enjoy studying the league table, and look forward to the next game. Is that what we are doing now? How can we turn down 20 Championship wins a season?

P.S. Blackburn, Bolton, Palace, and Sunderland fans love Big Sam, Wolves, Sunderland, and Millwall fans love Mick McCarthy, and Sheff U, QPR, and Cardiff fans are happy with Warnock. Why? Promotion!!!

3 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Good evening BobBobSuperBob, nice to see you back on the forum.

I agree. Nobody wants Warnock, McCarthy, Moyes, or Allardyce at their club. Everton fans were ecstatic when Moyes left. Warnock goes from club to club. Ipswich fans wanted McCarthy out, and West Ham and Newcastle fans can't stand Big Sam.

Nobody wants to go to the dentist or into hospital for an operation either. But our dentist surgeries and our hospital wards are full of people voluntarily choosing to go there, because they go there TO GET THE JOB DONE. To achieve a particular aim. An aim that has utterly eluded us since the 1970s. 

And if they did get us promotion, that is 20 wins a season. Think of today's horror show 1-0 defeat to Preston, and imagine it under one of those managers. A routine, comfortable 2-0 win with a goal in each half and a clean sheet. Nothing special, but we all have a nice weekend, enjoy studying the league table, and look forward to the next game. Is that what we are doing now? How can we turn down 20 Championship wins a season?

P.S. Blackburn, Bolton, Palace, and Sunderland fans love Big Sam, Wolves, Sunderland, and Millwall fans love Mick McCarthy, and Sheff U, QPR, and Cardiff fans are happy with Warnock. Why? Promotion!!!

As efficient as Sam is he wouldn’t come here or work under SL and I don’t think he’d be a good fit anyway

Id have Warnock tomorrow 

I’d Be fine with McCarthy 

And peoples slating Of Moyes is laughable - think he knows what he’s doing and would be a good fit here if we could tempt him

Archived