IGNORED

Sam Allardyce

Boston Red

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

When we sack Johnson we dont HAVE to get a manager who plays boring football

What are you lot smoking?!

Is Warnock boring? 

Did Cardiff score more than us last season? The way I see Cardiff playing last season was direct, getting crosses into the box actually giving teams problems to think about. 

I personally wouldn't see Allardyce being a good fit here but not knocking him. 

Others mentioned wouldn't say no to 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As efficient as Sam is he wouldn’t come here or work under SL and I don’t think he’d be a good fit anyway

Id have Warnock tomorrow 

I’d Be fine with McCarthy 

And peoples slating Of Moyes is laughable - think he knows what he’s doing and would be a good fit here if we could tempt him

Doesn’t matter one iota who you, me or any fan think who would do a better job than LJ. He was appointed by SL to implement his philosophy/strategy/blueprint call it what you will.

SL wants to see signs of progress season on season and that means a higher Championship finish each campaign. Despite today’s shambles City are still in mid table and still in a good position to finish above 11th come May. 

LJ has 29 games left to achieve that.

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As efficient as Sam is he wouldn’t come here or work under SL and I don’t think he’d be a good fit anyway

Id have Warnock tomorrow 

I’d Be fine with McCarthy 

And peoples slating Of Moyes is laughable - think he knows what he’s doing and would be a good fit here if we could tempt him

I'd walk over hot (Andy/Danny?) Coles for Moyesey...

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Doesn’t matter one iota who you, me or any fan think who would do a better job than LJ. He was appointed by SL to implement his philosophy/strategy/blueprint call it what you will.

SL wants to see signs of progress season on season and that means a higher Championship finish each campaign. Despite today’s shambles City are still in mid table and still in a good position to finish above 11th come May. 

I won’t be around to watch that shit!!

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We won't finish above 11th this year. Not with the fairly incoherent plan plus regular chopping and changing of the team, to say nothing of the transition of the turnover of players in the summer. 14th probably.

The much-maligned Allardyce & Moyes.

Last season, both took over clubs during the season.  One took a team from relegation zone to 13th.  The other took a team from 13th to 8th.  This is in the Premier League.

And our fans turn their noses up.

I think there is a deep-rooted philosophy that City fans want entertaining, attacking football, and we feel that the likes of Allardyce, Moyes & McCarthy are not a good fit for us as we see their style as more pragmatic.  We seem to have this historical myth that City MUST play attacking football, and that any of "them long ball merchants" ain't welcome here.

I'm of the opinion that the football we are witnessing at the moment is as dull as we've seen in years (9 goals in 9 home games, 4 of which came in one match), so why would one of these 3 be any worse.  3 managers with huge experience, who would be a coup for most teams in this league.  We should jump at the chance for any of them.  However, we won't, because it doesn't fit the philosophy of the club.

4 hours ago, Boston Red said:

If we want to get out of this league, we need to put 10 million on the table and appoint Sam Allardyce. We then get 110 million when we get promoted. Steve Lansdown earns well over 50 million a year in interest on his wealth alone. If he is serious about getting promotion this is what he needs to do. He went out and got the best in Pat Lam for Bristol rugby. They were promoted. He needs to do the same for the football. 

Sam Allardyce got Bolton and West Ham promoted from the second tier. Under him we would win games until we got to 10th in the Premier League, then it would be boring. Fine. I'll take that. 

He is not a long-ball manager in the style of Wimbledon, Sheff Utd, Cambridge of old, like Tony Pulis is. (He played Jermain Defoe up front on his own at Sunderland) He is a defensive manager who eliminates defensive errors, coaches his back four brilliantly, is ruthless at not conceding after you have gone ahead, and makes sure you have two lines of four and can defend and attack a set-piece properly. He draws games you would otherwise lose, wins games you would otherwise draw, and almost never lets go of a lead stupidly. From where we are now that sounds like heaven. 

As we have an array of attacking players shambolically thrown together into a hodge-podge of alternating team selections, bizarre formations, and inexplicable substitutions, we would still get the benefit of their talent. He signed Jay-Jay Okacha, Ivan Campo, Nicolas Anelka, and Yuri Djorkaeff for Bolton, and took them to fifth. Our attackers can attack properly once we have consistency and organisation behind them. He is not opposed to attacking football and attacking players, but you can't attack if you don't have the ball and you can't win matches if you concede too many goals. 

It is unfair to call him a dinosaur when he was the first manager to look at sports science, Prozone, detailed statistical analysis on players etc 15 years ago. He told his players that if they win 3-0 the management have to eat sheep's testicles and hot curry. But if they lose 3-0 or more they have to eat them. Since when, in this ghastly deja vu world of Johnson's endless tactical tinkering and know-it-all start-again-from-scratch masterplans, has there ever been any fun like that at Ashton Gate?

Towards the end of the season at Bolton he told his players that if they won he would give them 5 days off. His backroom team went ballistic, saying their recovery, fitness, numbers etc would go out of the window. They won. He did it again. They won again. 5 wins later Bolton were fifth and nearly in the Champions League.

Do I like Mr Allardyce as a person? Probably I don't particularly like the way he has gone from club to club collecting money, and he got what he deserved when his greed cost him the England job. But if it is almost certain that he would get us promoted to the Premier League, and we do not appoint him because we are hell-bent on some half-baked unicorn chase of only getting promotion under the terms and conditions of a pile of managerial waffle like "5 pillars", "sustainable investment", and whatever it is this week, then we only have ourselves to blame if, indeed, we never get promoted to the Premier League. 

If Mr Lansdown does not wish to risk losing 10 million in Allardyce's wages in case we do not get promotion, then I would respectfully point out to him that he has already wasted 100 million trying to get promotion with managers who have no experience of success whatsoever, like Lee Johnson, Keith Millen, and Brian Tinnion. A very good chance of success at a price, is better than a very bad chance of success at a lower price again and again and again for 18 years. 

Many of these arguments also apply to David Moyes, ie we have to pay money for managerial quality,  but Moyes has never won promotion from the second tier.

So let's appoint Sam Allardyce and get out of this wretched league. 

Bolton never finished fifth in the premier league under Allardyce ...... and his two promotions to the premier league are dwarfed by the achievements of Warnock, Bruce and McCarthy at this level....I’d rather have one of those three before Sam.

However, I do agree with you that the average football fan’s view of Sam is ill-informed....he was a pioneer in using sports science and changing players’ diets etc - he did this before Wenger even though the Frenchman is widely credited to being the first to make waves in those spheres. He is a solid football manager who sorts out defences...not to be sniffed at...

Do you think our owner needs advice like this? Amazing. Am i correct in assuming you are a regular poster and love to complain. Imagine if SL was to make that decision. This Forum would be over-subscribed with people questioning why we appoint a rogue - just look at the initial response to your daft advice, sorry!

6 hours ago, Harry said:

The much-maligned Allardyce & Moyes.

Last season, both took over clubs during the season.  One took a team from relegation zone to 13th.  The other took a team from 13th to 8th.  This is in the Premier League.

And our fans turn their noses up.

I think there is a deep-rooted philosophy that City fans want entertaining, attacking football, and we feel that the likes of Allardyce, Moyes & McCarthy are not a good fit for us as we see their style as more pragmatic.  We seem to have this historical myth that City MUST play attacking football, and that any of "them long ball merchants" ain't welcome here.

I'm of the opinion that the football we are witnessing at the moment is as dull as we've seen in years (9 goals in 9 home games, 4 of which came in one match), so why would one of these 3 be any worse.  3 managers with huge experience, who would be a coup for most teams in this league.  We should jump at the chance for any of them.  However, we won't, because it doesn't fit the philosophy of the club.

We want entertaining football. We get it in the third division because we buy the best players in it . 

When we get to the Championship we are well down the food chain and our players are not the best in this division.

We could try being more pragmatic, like Preston or Sheff Utd for example whilst we develop and progress but we are Bristol City and think that we are better than what we are.

Our coach thinks our players can perform like those of Man City or Barcelona,well if they could they wouldn't be here. 

@Harry the football we are playing now is not good. However that doesnt mean that we might as well keep it that way.

Are the posters who want crap football too young to remember Pulis I wonder?

I work a 60 hour week to single handedly put food on the table and keep a roof over the head of my family. I am not prepared to accept Allardyce, McCarthy or Pulis type football as my Saturday release! 

Genuinely baffled that people want it as if its the only way to success.  We should want better than we are getting now, not the same but with possible better results. 

10 hours ago, Boston Red said:

If we want to get out of this league, we need to put 10 million on the table and appoint Sam Allardyce. We then get 110 million when we get promoted. Steve Lansdown earns well over 50 million a year in interest on his wealth alone. If he is serious about getting promotion this is what he needs to do. He went out and got the best in Pat Lam for Bristol rugby. They were promoted. He needs to do the same for the football. 

Sam Allardyce got Bolton and West Ham promoted from the second tier. Under him we would win games until we got to 10th in the Premier League, then it would be boring. Fine. I'll take that. 

He is not a long-ball manager in the style of Wimbledon, Sheff Utd, Cambridge of old, like Tony Pulis is. (He played Jermain Defoe up front on his own at Sunderland) He is a defensive manager who eliminates defensive errors, coaches his back four brilliantly, is ruthless at not conceding after you have gone ahead, and makes sure you have two lines of four and can defend and attack a set-piece properly. He draws games you would otherwise lose, wins games you would otherwise draw, and almost never lets go of a lead stupidly. From where we are now that sounds like heaven. 

As we have an array of attacking players shambolically thrown together into a hodge-podge of alternating team selections, bizarre formations, and inexplicable substitutions, we would still get the benefit of their talent. He signed Jay-Jay Okacha, Ivan Campo, Nicolas Anelka, and Yuri Djorkaeff for Bolton, and took them to fifth. Our attackers can attack properly once we have consistency and organisation behind them. He is not opposed to attacking football and attacking players, but you can't attack if you don't have the ball and you can't win matches if you concede too many goals. 

It is unfair to call him a dinosaur when he was the first manager to look at sports science, Prozone, detailed statistical analysis on players etc 15 years ago. He told his players that if they win 3-0 the management have to eat sheep's testicles and hot curry. But if they lose 3-0 or more they have to eat them. Since when, in this ghastly deja vu world of Johnson's endless tactical tinkering and know-it-all start-again-from-scratch masterplans, has there ever been any fun like that at Ashton Gate?

Towards the end of the season at Bolton he told his players that if they won he would give them 5 days off. His backroom team went ballistic, saying their recovery, fitness, numbers etc would go out of the window. They won. He did it again. They won again. 5 wins later Bolton were fifth and nearly in the Champions League.

Do I like Mr Allardyce as a person? Probably I don't particularly like the way he has gone from club to club collecting money, and he got what he deserved when his greed cost him the England job. But if it is almost certain that he would get us promoted to the Premier League, and we do not appoint him because we are hell-bent on some half-baked unicorn chase of only getting promotion under the terms and conditions of a pile of managerial waffle like "5 pillars", "sustainable investment", and whatever it is this week, then we only have ourselves to blame if, indeed, we never get promoted to the Premier League. 

If Mr Lansdown does not wish to risk losing 10 million in Allardyce's wages in case we do not get promotion, then I would respectfully point out to him that he has already wasted 100 million trying to get promotion with managers who have no experience of success whatsoever, like Lee Johnson, Keith Millen, and Brian Tinnion. A very good chance of success at a price, is better than a very bad chance of success at a lower price again and again and again for 18 years. 

Many of these arguments also apply to David Moyes, ie we have to pay money for managerial quality,  but Moyes has never won promotion from the second tier.

So let's appoint Sam Allardyce and get out of this wretched league. 

Would not renew my season ticket if that ever happened, can remember when we played West Ham in league his style of football and West Ham fans booing him.

Archived