IGNORED

We're making a simple game difficult .

barneyrubble

Football as most team ball sports is a simple game . Uefa coaching badges are ridiculous. 

There are a few simple principles to be applied to win most matches.

Be stronger and faster than your opposition.

When you have the ball keep it until you create a chance.

When you don't have the ball get it back as soon as possible. 

Motivate your players to do all of the above and you will win most games.

The level of coaching clichés is ridiculous .

Get back to these basic principles and things will change .

Keep tinkering with fancy formations and worrying about the   oppositon and we will continue to watch a confused team. 

Not to many footballers are capable of absorbing too much technical information.   

2 hours ago, Barney red said:

Football as most team ball sports is a simple game . Uefa coaching badges are ridiculous. 

Keep tinkering with fancy formations and worrying about the   oppositon and we will continue to watch a confused team. 

Not to many footballers are capable of absorbing too much technical information.   

Absolutely spot on mate. 

On the radio yesterday evening Johnson made reference about the formation and the players adapting!

Bloody hell  man stop changing formations and players all the time and stick to one way of playing and be positive.

Let the opposition worry about us, unless of course you have no confidence in the players you have brought in yourself.

2 hours ago, Barney red said:

If I order your first three points; 

1. Be stronger and faster than your opposition.
  2. When you have the ball keep it until you create a chance.
  3. When you don't have the ball get it back as soon as possible. 

A team like Leicester winning the Premiership and Cardiff last season did not use point two as a game plan but seeking to penetrate quickly was a principle of their play.

You have a great point about principles and basics. Humans not just footballers are not capable of absorbing constant streams of changing information, or most of us are not! Sports psychologists put huge emphasis on simplicity and how deep learning creates fluency and confidence via repetition, that includes periodic training and game play … Keep tinkering he will confuse, keep tinkering it becomes harder to create competency .. 

Uefa and any coaching badges are not ridiculous … These points are included in badges as to how you coach, teach and how we as individuals learn.

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Absolutely spot on mate. 

On the radio yesterday evening Johnson made reference about the formation and the players adapting!

Bloody hell  man stop changing formations and players all the time and stick to one way of playing and be positive.

Let the opposition worry about us, unless of course you have no confidence in the players you have brought in yourself.

Yesterday highlighted how the much lauded 352/532 can be exposed. 

Every system has its strengths and weaknesses, and different ones depending on the formation up against. 

LJs interview said something yesterday along the lines of its about players not systems. Something I have always thought.  

I agree with elements of what the OP said, but at the same time the game has changed a fair bit.

Agree that changing game by game it feels like ATM isn't really a sign of strength, more of confusion but then again a well thought out Plan B isn't a bad thing either- problem is our Plan A isn't even all that- if we even have one!

I'd go 4-3-3 as Plan A in the sense of a lone striker with wingers pushed high (4-5-1 out of.possession), with Plan B to be used on occasion as 3-5-2. Simple yet flexible. Yesterday wasn't a day for the latter though!

@Barney red All very well to say football a simple game, too much tactics, UEFA coaching badges nonense etc, how would you set up however?

Dicks' team, GJ's play off team, Cott's promotion team all had one thing in common - you could pretty well name the starting 11 every week, other than injuries and suspensions and occasional changes if a player was out of form.

Not only is it difficult to know LJ's starting 11 week to week, we now have difficulty in knowing what formation or playing style will be on show prior to kick off, added to which there is the added problem of working our what opposition strengths we  will be trying to counter from game to game.

Apart from that I reckon LJ is keeping it simple! :)

I do think that LJ is a bright coach with good ideas, but his problem seems to be the need to continually demonstrate how clever he is with so many changes, leading to little or no continuity out on the pitch - other than continually poor performances and results.

At the moment he looks at the opposition team sheet each week to decide what threats he needs to counter. Perhaps he needs to spend more time looking our team sheet to decide what threats he can make the most of.  

29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Dicks' team, GJ's play off team, Cott's promotion team all had one thing in common - you could pretty well name the starting 11 every week, other than injuries and suspensions and occasional changes if a player was out of form.

Not only is it difficult to know LJ's starting 11 week to week, we now have difficulty in knowing what formation or playing style will be on show prior to kick off, added to which there is the added problem of working our what opposition strengths we  will be trying to counter from game to game.

I do think that LJ is a bright coach with good ideas, but his problem seems to be the need to continually demonstrate how clever he is with so many changes, leading to little or no continuity out on the pitch - other than continually poor performances and results.

At the moment he looks at the opposition team sheet each week to decide what threats he needs to counter. Perhaps he needs to spend more time looking our team sheet to decide what threats he can make the most of.  

That’s why I knew my £1 was safe last week!!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Direct from LJ's post match interview,

Credit to Preston - they were dogged and they’ve got a midfield that’s got speed and bite and agility."

All we've been praying for since Wade Elliot left . 

Question , with all the transfer funds available to LJ why haven't we got the same ?

And other teams seem to find these players, and I don’t just mean the Villa’s etc. I’m still baffled why Walsh was subbed off, at least he looked interested in going forward.

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

And other teams seem to find these players, and I don’t just mean the Villa’s etc. I’m still baffled why Walsh was subbed off, at least he looked interested in going forward.

It's called hit and miss transfer policy.

People will doubtless go on about 'foreign players blah blah blah' but seems to work fine at other clubs.

Oyr Scouting system is inadequate and seems to be in a bit of a mess- still think we need some dedicated scouts for certain areas in addition to Mervyn Day overseeing it.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Direct from LJ's post match interview,

Credit to Preston - they were dogged and they’ve got a midfield that’s got speed and bite and agility."

All we've been praying for since Wade Elliot left . 

Question , with all the transfer funds available to LJ why haven't we got the same ?

That's Korey Smith, isn't it: speed and bite and agility. LJ's citing injuries here, I believe.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

LJ decided to play a more direct style yesterday and for much of the time the ball was going over Walsh’s head. Consequently he had little opportunity to show what he’s capable of. 

No doubt he’s feeling very frustrated right now....

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

The last paragraph sums up LJ for me. That may work against  the likes of Man U occassionally but yesterday we were playing at home to a team with an awful away record. Just wondering what our strengths are at the moment though.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought much of the game bypassed him yesterday, but it did for a lot of our players.

The thing that got me was Paterson and Eliasson coming on.  

Obvious switch to a back 4.  No issues.  

Paterson on in the no10.  No issues.

Eliasson on in the RW position.  No issues.

Weimann to LW.  I just didn’t get it.  I could’ve understood had Weimann gone RW and Eliasson LW.

Again....why couldn’t he have made one sub?

Then when Taylor came on, Paterson then played as the no9, and Taylor in behind him, as the no10.  Just didn’t make sense....Weimann still LW!  

Weimann was probably our most effective player (alongside Hunt) in the first half, and he didn’t see the ball in the second half after the subs.

Archived