IGNORED

Brian Clough on Steve Lansdown

Boston Red

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Simple question Nick - where would City be without him? 

Oh mate. Not this again please. That attitude/opinion (typical of the stuck-in-the mud Bristolian) "We're ever so, ever so grateful Mr Lansdown, without you we'd be in League 2, " condemns us to being a Club without ambition because to be ambitious you have to be bold and hire the best people.

Steve can undoubtedly do this in his business but cannot bring himself to do it with what has become his plaything - BCFC

So we are stuck with Sir Steve. A Sir Steve that cannot learn from his football mistakes. You may be happy with that scenario but a growing number of City fans are not

9 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Oh mate. Not this again please. That attitude/opinion (typical of the stuck-in-the mud Bristolian) "We're ever so, ever so grateful Mr Lansdown, without you we'd be in League 2, " condemns us to being a Club without ambition because to be ambitious you have to be bold and hire the best people.

Steve can undoubtedly do this in his business but cannot bring himself to do it with what has become his plaything - BCFC

So we are stuck with Sir Steve. A Sir Steve that cannot learn from his football mistakes. You may be happy with that scenario but a growing number of City fans are not

I’m stunned that anyone can  criticise the man who has ploughed millions of his own money into the club to keep us afloat. Not only that he’s created Bristol Sport, redeveloped AG from a run down dump into a sparkling new stadium and has devised a philosophy/strategy in an attempt to create sustainability and stability for the club and has employed professional people to help achieve that.

Jeez.........some posters just  don’t see how fortunate we are to have a billionaire Bristolian owning our club.........:disapointed2se:

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Worse - much worse.

Or maybe much better. It's impossible to speculate. 

We could have had a Vincent Tan type that rebranded us in blue, but funded two separate Premier League runs under a racist and a manual manipulator. We could have been owned by a hedge fund and left on the edge of bankruptcy. Hell, we could've suffered, and went into fan ownership, and under the leadership of the OTIB forum hired a visionary manager and reached the Champions League. It could've gone in many different directions, but it certainly doesn't mean that we would be screwed without Lansdown.

22 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Or maybe much better. It's impossible to speculate. 

We could have had a Vincent Tan type that rebranded us in blue, but funded two separate Premier League runs under a racist and a manual manipulator. We could have been owned by a hedge fund and left on the edge of bankruptcy. Hell, we could've suffered, and went into fan ownership, and under the leadership of the OTIB forum hired a visionary manager and reached the Champions League. It could've gone in many different directions, but it certainly doesn't mean that we would be screwed without Lansdown.

Personally I’d have much more faith in a local owner than some foreigner who knows bugger all about Bristol.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’m stunned that anyone can  criticise the man who has ploughed millions of his own money into the club to keep us afloat. Not only that he’s created Bristol Sport, redeveloped AG from a run down dump into a sparkling new stadium and has devised a philosophy/strategy in an attempt to create sustainability and stability for the club and has employed professional people to help achieve that.

Jeez.........some posters just  don’t see how fortunate we are to have a billionaire Bristolian owning our club.........:disapointed2se:

Isn’t he just doing what most owners do though? Most champ clubs operate at a loss and losses covered by owners. Idk why SL can’t be criticised. You can respect the good he has done for the club and criticise where he has failed. In a way he is similar to LJ. Has seen us to a certain point and plateaued. When and where does the change come from? Think it is a legitimate question to ask especially as most of us spend a good percentage of our salaries on BCFC just like he does. Not saying we’d be better off or not without him. We don’t know but can SL do more to make BCFC more successful on the pitch? Think that is open for debate despite the good he has done

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I’d have much more faith in a local owner than some foreigner who knows bugger all about Bristol.

Plenty of bad/clueless English/British owners about too.

In modern times and in no particular order from our top 2 divisions- Mike Ashley, the Oystons, SISU- thinking further back Risdale at Leeds...Plenty of bad foreign ones too as there are plenty of good local owners following the traditional model,  but it's an interesting (lazy)? trope- 'English owner good, foreign owner bad/inept'. At similar time to Risdale, Bates at Chelsea was mostly positive, but by the end they were close to admin until Abramovich- a good foreign owner incidentally- arrived. Marcus Evans at Ipswich also, seems to be taking them on a road to nowhere.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plenty of bad/clueless English/British owners about too.

In modern times and in no particular order from our top 2 divisions- Mike Ashley, the Oystons, SISU- thinking further back Risdale at Leeds...Plenty of bad foreign ones too as there are plenty of good local owners following the traditional model,  but it's an interesting (lazy)? trope- 'English owner good, foreign owner bad/inept'. At similar time to Risdale, Bates at Chelsea was mostly positive, but by the end they were close to admin until Abramovich- a good foreign owner incidentally- arrived. Marcus Evans at Ipswich also, seems to be taking them on a road to nowhere.

I’m a bit mixed about Ashley, but then again I’m not close enough to really comment.  I think he runs a tight ship, and that is no bad thing.  It may not be the modern owner way, but he is principled.

Back to @Robbored and @JoeAman08.  For me the criticism of SL is around whether he’s supported LJ sufficiently by putting the right structure around him.  Of course LJ may not have wanted it any differently.  Mark Ashton has a role to play, but I think he’s blurred / overstepped the boundary between the playing side and the operational element of the football club.  At £450k per annum that’s a serious salary for someone who can’t help LJ in true footballing matters.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a bit mixed about Ashley, but then again I’m not close enough to really comment.  I think he runs a tight ship, and that is no bad thing.  It may not be the modern owner way, but he is principled.

Back to @Robbored and @JoeAman08.  For me the criticism of SL is around whether he’s supported LJ sufficiently by putting the right structure around him.  Of course LJ may not have wanted it any differently.  Mark Ashton has a role to play, but I think he’s blurred / overstepped the boundary between the playing side and the operational element of the football club.  At £450k per annum that’s a serious salary for someone who can’t help LJ in true footballing matters.

Isewater Junior is a Newcastle fan to my eternal chagrin and absolutely hates Ashley as do most Geordies. 

His only principle is the bottom line and he would sell his granny to make a profit.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Isewater Junior is a Newcastle fan to my eternal chagrin and absolutely hates Ashley as do most Geordies. 

His only principle is the bottom line and he would sell his granny to make a profit.

Who did he sign her from and how much? ?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yes a local owner living in the Channel Islands that’s had us chugging along in divisions 2 and 3 for the past 15 years is far more preferable to that Thai chap that bought Leicester 

On 13/11/2018 at 20:41, paulcityfan said:

Yes and no.  Steve Lansdown has created his own way of managing and owning the club it by using one of his 'boys'.  Come on. Lee Johnson is not a manager 

Correct. I’ve backed LJ to the hilt as I do with (most) managers we have gone through but it’s l becoming more and more apparent that he just hasn’t got the ‘skills’ at present I must add as the bloke is still young and still learning. I’ve heard from various sources how good of a coach LJ is but he just doesn’t seem to have it in him to be the one to make the correct decisions come match day.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

urrgh. urrgh. wer's me forelock Mistur Landsdowns. Tugged it a few time for'ee, I 'av. Oh 'ah. 'ere it is

Cors. Will never no wot it 'ud be like without you cos you'm 'ere. God bless'ee Mistur Landsdowns.

Spose bein' a billionaire don't stop yoo bein  'ard up like we, do 'ee? Spending, spending, spending a penny out 'on every 'undred quid you 'urn in yor fancy bisniss on City and getin' nothin' in return 'cept for ar  football ground an lots of tax perks I imagin. Must be nice flyin' out to they Charnel Islands

Me I can barely afford to get in to Ashton Gate, an as for byin' a pint these days. Well!  Used to be one and foorpence wen I was a young man.

urrgh. urrgh. Tug, tug. God bless 'ee again Mistur Lansdowns . Yoo 'urd from that Roobocop lately?

You hit it on the head mate.

"I know my people"

Moaning's a way of life in Bristol and if we can keep just the peasants moaning and give them the odd bag of crisps they'll be happy moaning in their funny old way and I won't get any waves hitting my plaything

3 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

You hit it on the head mate.

"I know my people"

Moaning's a way of life in Bristol and if we can keep just the peasants moaning and give them the odd bag of crisps they'll be happy moaning in their funny old way and I won't get any waves hitting my plaything

Never a truer word spoken ?

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Yes a local owner living in the Channel Islands that’s had us chugging along in divisions 2 and 3 for the past 15 years is far more preferable to that Thai chap that bought Leicester 

Resentfully of SL wealth Nick? 

I understand why - he’s an accountant by profession just as you are Nick. He’s used his fiscal acumen to become sel billionaire and you  haven’t.....

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

True tho.........Nick and your arguments are based on resentment of SLs success.

That's not true. That's your perception, a pretty sad perception and that is all it is. You'll have to believe that my views on where happiness and fulfillment is found do not include being a billionaire accountant?????????? Living in a tax haven????????????? My idea of hell.

My arguments are based on what Bristol City haven't done in the past 15 years under SL.

Think about what we have going for our Club and what someone with guts, imagination as well as resouces could have done in that time

7 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

That's not true. That's your perception, a pretty sad perception and that is all it is. You'll have to believe that my views on where happiness and fulfillment is found do not include being a billionaire accountant?????????? Living in a tax haven????????????? My idea of hell.

My idea of common sense....

My arguments are based on what Bristol City haven't done in the past 15 years under SL.

Rather than what City would have done without  SL.......

That's not true. That's your perception, a pretty sad perception and that is all it is. You'll have to believe that my views on where happiness and fulfillment is found do not include being a billionaire accountant?????????? Living in a tax haven????????????? My idea of hell.

Think about what we have going for our Club and what someone with guts, imagination as well as resouces could have done in that time

Well said... Our club and ground are also not our own anymore.. The ground in particular was taken by SL after he ran up debts of 50mill (remember?) and then paid it back taking the ground in the process. Ask yourself If this multi billionaire owner was a proper City fan like most of you undoubtedly are -  with his cash reserves would he not place the right manager in charge and ensure every effort was made to reach the top ? Instead isn't it curious that he is satisfied with a half hearted attempt of yo-yoing up and down between what effectively is leagues 2 and 3 in old speak.

The club I have followed for fifty years lost its soul when SL walked in the door.. it might have a chance of regaining it if he sells and he walks back out again but I can't see that happening... anytime soon - he's got what he primarily wanted, the control, the stadium - and the franchised toys associated with his own idea of Bristol Sport. What next... for City fans ... sadly the same old. 

Resentfully of SL wealth Nick? 

I understand why - he’s an accountant by profession just as you are Nick. He’s used his fiscal acumen to become sel billionaire and you  haven’t.....

I’m abroad at the moment having a good chuckle at your utter stupidity. 

Back to your original comment - yes Leicester fans really don’t seem to like their foreign owner do they?

i expect Bournemouth’s are really pissed off too - not. Man City’s. Liverpool’s don’t seem to mind too much. 

Think carefully before you answer this - can you explain the benefits of the owner being “local”?

4 hours ago, NickJ said:

Think carefully before you answer this - can you explain the benefits of the owner being “local”?

No need to think carefully Nick - a local man, born and raised in the City, built his empire here, employs many local people, cares about the City..............uses his fiscal acumen to try and develop a stable and sustainable football club........

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My point was more that clueless/inept owners are by no means only foreign- it's a lazy trope IMO.

Ashton I'm unsure about, certainly don't think the Scouting Department is up to scratch in terms of quality and quantity- SL could be criticised for that I guess.

13 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Really sorry... SL will never want to play with the big time agents and is therefore very happy and relaxed to have us playing mid table championship or, much lower if thats the way it turns out. Lee Johnson was the perfect choice for the job as far as SL is concerned. Keeping the lid on progress is the plan. 

Isn't that why SL brought Mark Ashton to the club ? 

It's MA who does battle with the agents.

Archived