IGNORED

What do you think the Club are doing well?

spudski

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

A majority of the answers in this thread proves EXACTLY why we fail as a club.  We have some of the most ungrateful, self-important fans in the country.  

Why is it so hard to be positive? Why? 

Bollocks.

We are the same as every other club when it comes to people who like a moan.

Stop the pearl clutching and get a grip.

A majority of the answers in this thread proves EXACTLY why we fail as a club.  We have some of the most ungrateful, self-important fans in the country.  

What utter tosh. A few tounge in cheek comments and that's your conclusion. The reason this club is failing in some ways has nothing to do with the fans. 

Anyway I think the introduction of the fan zone has been very succesful.

4 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Then went backwards and likely to have a relegation dogfight 

We are 2 points off where we finished last season. That’s hardly “going backwards” but of course, we don’t know what thevrest of the season has in store. 

Did you actually have an answer to the question that I asked..? 

Positivity ? OK.
Match days, the stadium as a whole is far better.
Looking at the amount of people going in early, and those using the fan park shows that is working.
Getting in and out is so much better and easier. 
The quality of food/drink is better.
Recently the kits have been pretty good designs .
The simple fact that things change shows that to a point they are listening and (hopefully) learning.

So our fans are to blame for the club’s failings on the pitch? Got it, that seems a reasonable and balanced view....

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Selling players at the absolute top of their value range.

Brilliant new stadium.

Maximising the revenues from that stadium.

Developing the area around Ashton Gate into a modern multi-sport complex.

The Forever Bristol half season membership that comes with a free ticket to the Bolton game and I will be buying that.

After two decades of trying the Academy is now delivering first team players.

There are of course negatives as well but they are not for this thread.

It is not two decades. When John Laycock left Bristol City the club was very guilty of running the academies forebear down and lessening its importance. The academy is now a plus but it highlights how little importance and resource was devoted to developing players. Bristol City are still playing catch up, clubs like Exeter have greater coverage in the South West. There is a massive amount of work to be done if the academies potential and Bristol City's as the regional club of choice for talented youngsters is to be realised. 

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Because practically every time we start to believe our hopes are dashed .

So many supporters have lived through decades of disappointment, false promises and false dawns.

The club are generally moving in the right direction but are paying for the past . 

Positives for me:

The ground is a big plus. A stadium now fit for purpose for the club moving forwards.  The fan village, Sports Bar and concourses must be creating a decent income and makes the facilities from before the re-build just a few years ago seem like they were in the dark ages.

Very good players have come through the youth system. Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid were sold for good money. Lloyd Kelly looks excellent.

The club has done well to attract more supporters with the highest average attendances in decades. There have been noticeable ad campaigns around Bristol (e.g. big banner at one of the entrances to the Galleries advertising half-season cards).

46 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is not two decades. When John Laycock left Bristol City the club was very guilty of running the academies forebear down and lessening its importance. The academy is now a plus but it highlights how little importance and resource was devoted to developing players. Bristol City are still playing catch up, clubs like Exeter have greater coverage in the South West. There is a massive amount of work to be done if the academies potential and Bristol City's as the regional club of choice for talented youngsters is to be realised. 

I was dating its start back to Scott Davidson in '96 when we (I say we as I bought shares!) started putting £1m a year into it.

We have now had good players come through and the sales of Bobby and Joe plus the money saved from having their play for us for years without having to buy them has probably paid for the Academy costs since '96.

I didn't know it has been run down for a period. I entirely agree that it can get better but it is good as it is.

We have improved our league position for four consecutive seasons while working with a moderate budget.

We have grown our average attendance to around 20k, a level unimaginable the last time we were in the Championship - even when we were doing well.

We have redeveloped our stadium into something fit for the 21st century, but with respectful nods to our history through the Atyeo Statue, the South Stand concourse, and Marina Dolman Way.

We have planning permission for a new training ground and we have made plans to build an arena next to the stadium.

We have an academy that has developed two players recently sold for good money to Premier Division, having made huge contributions to the first team before they left, and through Lloyd Kelly and others looks set to continue providing first team talent.

We have an innovative approach through the Bristol Sport model which helps each of the clubs under the banner - including City - benefit from shared revenues and cross-pollination of support across the sports.

We have reached a point where our current situation of mid-table in the second tier is no longer considered good enough and the expectation is to progress further towards consistent play off contention; such expectation is itself a reflection of our progress (note: not a defence of LJ)

Current performances on the pitch are not good enough. But that doesn’t make any of the above any less true, and all of the off-pitch progress and general upward trend in league position in recent years bodes well for the longer term.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

We are 2 points off where we finished last season. That’s hardly “going backwards” but of course, we don’t know what thevrest of the season has in store. 

Did you actually have an answer to the question that I asked..? 

Alan Dicks was, do you honestly think we will finish in the top half this season with Lee in charge 

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Selling players at the absolute top of their value range.

Brilliant new stadium.

Maximising the revenues from that stadium.

Developing the area around Ashton Gate into a modern multi-sport complex.

The Forever Bristol half season membership that comes with a free ticket to the Bolton game and I will be buying that.

After two decades of trying the Academy is now delivering first team players.

There are of course negatives as well but they are not for this thread.

Not wishing to be facetious, Mr H, but aren't they mostly things done by BS?

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

The last game against Preston was as bad as I have seen watching City 

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Agreed.

City 0-6 Cardiff?

This is the one, for me. Worst ever night at AG in terms of performance, scoreline... AND against a local rival.

Shocking. Would never happen with Johnson in charge.   Oh, hang on...

Archived