IGNORED

Martin O'Neill

DaveInSA

I'd not be keen. I don't think the board are wrong on the type of manager they are going for even if LJ is yet to prove he can take us to the next level. If we made a change, Jokanovic would be top of my list but I think the idea of a modern tactical coach who fits into a structure that will stay in place after they leave is a much better route than an old-school manager who wants to oversee everything meaning we lose the baby and the bathwater whenever we make a change. 

30 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

If the OP is suggesting MoN for City, then the biggest 'no' of all time from me

Absolute dinosaur, suspect the Irish fans will be happy about that

I've always liked MON but we have been playing puke football for a while now so it's the right time to make a change. I think he did a really good job for us until the last year or so, as he has done in the majority of his other jobs. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in his next appointment.

12 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Have a word mate, ‘kin hell. O’Neill would be a fantastic appointment for us. 

In what way, other than the experience? I can't say I've enjoyed watching a MoN team in a long, long time. And I can't listen to the bloke either

8 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I've always liked MON but we have been playing puke football for a while now so it's the right time to make a change. I think he did a really good job for us until the last year or so, as he has done in the majority of his other jobs. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in his next appointment.

How's his wife now, Mike? I recall him saying he was going to take some time off as she'd been diagnosed with cancer. Going back a few years now, so hopefully all has gone well for her

16 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Still talking about MON or LJ?!

In all seriousness, wouldn't O'Neill, Jordan, Moyes (as examples) be great as a DoF working alongside or in the background with our young HC.

Lansdown clearly doesn't think so now and didn't when Tinnion was in the hotseat. Believe one poster who spoke to Lee Johnson last night was under the impression that he wouldn't take well to it. Feel that's a shame too.

City's current and long term idealogy of buying young & inexpensive, developing them as well as producing quality and quantity from our own youth surely requires a set up that is top notch. I struggle to see how that can be achieved without top level experience.

O'Neill probably out of our range but it seems someone of his ilk maybe a key piece missing from our intricate jigsaw.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

How's his wife now, Mike? I recall him saying he was going to take some time off as she'd been diagnosed with cancer. Going back a few years now, so hopefully all has gone well for her

I haven't read anything about her for a long time, maybe four or five years. Hopefully she's still battling on or better. I think that he talked about taking a break after leaving Celtic which must have been quite a long time ago now. 

To be fair to MON he got us to the 2016 Euros and we did quite well in reaching the last World Cup playoffs (given that we had Austria, Serbia and Wales in the group) but we pretty much had no chance against Denmark, especially over two legs. Hopefully whoever replaces him will be given the time to rebuild because we certainly need it! Maybe we can get Jack Charlton out of retirement!

1 hour ago, Super said:

Still talking about MON or LJ?!

Only talking about puke football in the last year under LJ wouldn't take the achievement of breaking the club's all-time consecutive league defeat record into consideration, Super ?

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd not be keen. I don't think the board are wrong on the type of manager they are going for even if LJ is yet to prove he can take us to the next level. If we made a change, Jokanovic would be top of my list but I think the idea of a modern tactical coach who fits into a structure that will stay in place after they leave is a much better route than an old-school manager who wants to oversee everything meaning we lose the baby and the bathwater whenever we make a change. 

Exactly right.

Football has evolved. And so has City.

The likes of O’Neill, McCarthy, Moyes even Warnock are still good managers but just wouldn’t fit our club the way it is run now. 

Still amazes me that many on here fail to grasp that. 

Look at the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Swansea etc and that’s what we’re building. And take note of how it all went wrong for Swansea when they appointed managers who didn’t fit the club.

9 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Football has evolved. And so has City.

The likes of O’Neill, McCarthy, Moyes even Warnock are still good managers but just wouldn’t fit our club the way it is run now. 

Still amazes me that many on here fail to grasp that. 

Look at the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Swansea etc and that’s what we’re building. And take note of how it all went wrong for Swansea when they appointed managers who didn’t fit the club.

Watford who sack their manager every season?

Archived