IGNORED

Away supporter Friendly pubs in Leeds?

hoxton casual

• Admin

@hoxton casual

At the ground itself next to the away turnstiles there used to be a bar called Howards, but not sure if it is still open?,  the entrance to Howards, which is a small bar for away supporters only. Opening two hours before kick off, you need to show your away ticket to gain entrance.

Outside the North East corner of the stadium, there is a small fan zone, which has live music and a number of food and drink outlets, some of which serve alcohol. Although primarily for home fans, some visiting supporters have been using the facility too.

Otherwise, there is the Drysalters pub which is about a ten minute walk away from the ground.  The pub usually has a good mix of home and away supporters, has real ale, plus large screens showing televised football.

To find this pub; with the Old Peacock pub behind you, turn left and follow the road down to the very end. Pass the entrances to a number of car parks and go under a railway bridge. At the end of the road, turn left along the dual carriageway and the pub is a short way down 'tucked in' on the left.

image.png

image.png

Leave the M1 at Junction 43 and take the M621, towards Leeds City Centre. Take Junction 1 left onto the A6110 Ring Road. Take the next left onto Elland Road for the ground.

Otherwise, alcohol is served within the ground in the form of draught Fosters Lager, John Smith's Bitter and Strongbow Cider (all £4 a pint), Strongbow Dark Fruit Cider (£4.50), plus small bottles of red and white wine (£4).

In the city centre with colours? Difficult. Some don't even allow home shirts.

Otherwise there are numerous pubs and bars. The further away from the station the less hassle on the whole.

At the ground, as above really. I'd always drink in town and get the bus or an Uber/cab though, just as I would in Bristol.

@phantom DrySalters is vile, most of us left our pints there last time as it was like drinking ****ing sea water :laugh:

If you’re getting the train fellas then there’s a spoons in the station which is decent, and there’s a good pub just outside the station on the corner with two floors which we’ll be in at some stage as well, sure @SR1 can confirm the name of it. We watched the Groves Eubank fight on the Saturday night in there when we had Leeds last season.

Come out the station take a right, on the corner is a microbrewery/real ale bar  which is small but quite cool.

You'll struggle to get into a pub in town wearing any kind of football tat (thank fluck).

Personally I'd head to Belgrave Hall it's a cool warehouse like beer hall with 2 amazing street food vendors inside, burgers by Patty Smiths & pizza by the dough boys.

Wrap up warm too, as it's starting to get very cold up here already.

Enjoy.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

@phantom DrySalters is vile, most of us left our pints there last time as it was like drinking ****ing sea water :laugh:

If you’re getting the train fellas then there’s a spoons in the station which is decent, and there’s a good pub just outside the station on the corner with two floors which we’ll be in at some stage as well, sure @SR1 can confirm the name of it. We watched the Groves Eubank fight on the Saturday night in there when we had Leeds last season.

True, for anyone not been to Leeds by train don't go out of the exit infront of you follow the concourse around to the left.

You go past the ticket booths, you'll see a McD's on the left with the Spoons a just past it on the left

2 hours ago, SR1 said:

In the city centre with colours? Difficult. Some don't even allow home shirts.

Otherwise there are numerous pubs and bars. The further away from the station the less hassle on the whole.

At the ground, as above really. I'd always drink in town and get the bus or an Uber/cab though, just as I would in Bristol.

What makes me laugh about that rule is that those who wear colours, replica shirts are less likely to be displaying poor behaviour in a pub anyway.

The no colours rule while superficially working, actually shows a lack of understanding- because it's likely possible troublesome elements in a fanbase wouldn't be wearing a replica shirt anyway- and they will therefore slip into a pub reasonably easily if they're on the lookout for colours, especially shirts.

17 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Come out the station take a right, on the corner is a microbrewery/real ale bar  which is small but quite cool.

You'll struggle to get into a pub in town wearing any kind of football tat (thank fluck).

Personally I'd head to Belgrave Hall it's a cool warehouse like beer hall with 2 amazing street food vendors inside, burgers by Patty Smiths & pizza by the dough boys.

Enjoy.

Dreadful, disinterested service from the hipsters at Belgrave. Go to Headrow House, North, Brewdog North Street, The Brunswick if you want decent, if pricey, ale with a bit of customer service.

The pizza and burgers at Belgrave are excellent though.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What makes me laugh about that rule is that those who wear colours, replica shirts are less likely to be displaying poor behaviour in a pub anyway.

The no colours rule while superficially working, actually shows a lack of understanding- because it's likely possible troublesome elements in a fanbase wouldn't be wearing a replica shirt anyway- and they will therefore slip into a pub reasonably easily if they're on the lookout for colours, especially shirts.

You're kind of right, but what happens is that groups outside pubs see groups inside pubs and if they're so minded enter the bars and have a pop. It can be like wearing a target on your back.

47 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Black Prince. Not my kind of bar but it will do the trick for most footy fans I would imagine. Bouncers will no doubt be looking out for West Country accents and groups. Up town as described above there will be no such issues.

25 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Enjoy.

http://www.brewerytapleeds.co.uk/

3 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Any ideas?

Will be heading to Aire Bar before the game, just off Call Lane. Easy walk to get buses after a few. Show live sport , and food isn’t special but fine for pre match 

As others have said the further away from the train station the better

14 minutes ago, daored said:

Will be heading to Aire Bar before the game, just off Call Lane. Easy walk to get buses after a few. Show live sport , and food isn’t special but fine for pre match 

Good shout. Also Lamb and Flag and Palace nearby.

48 minutes ago, daored said:

Aire Bar is a really nice bar, was in there yesterday. No idea what it's like on a match day though. Try the 1919 lager?? 

41 minutes ago, daored said:

Is that the Aire larger which is meant to be Leeds United 

Yes. There must be some sort of link with the club, because they do certain deals for LUFC season ticket holders. Maybe the owner is a fan, I don't really know. 1919 refers to the year LUFC  was formed, though the lager itself does taste OK to be fair. Honest.?  

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Enjoy.

It was freezing in London yesterday so expecting the worst:colder: 

2 hours ago, SR1 said:

Ossett Brewery also do a bitter called 1919. On sale at the Peacock but I've never seen it anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Verloc said:

Yes. There must be some sort of link with the club, because they do certain deals for LUFC season ticket holders. Maybe the owner is a fan, I don't really know. 1919 refers to the year LUFC  was formed, though the lager itself does taste OK to be fair. Honest.?  

Colin is the guy who runs the pub. Just to let you know next time you visit he does 2 for 1 or something for all Leeds games televised. The amount of times you’re on the red button I’m surprised he hasn’t  gone bust !

4 hours ago, SR1 said:

Thankfully long gone.

Now The Head of Steam.

Head of Steam on that little cut-through - something hill? - is a great pub/bar. Been in the last 3 times, close enough to station and never any problems, bit hipster studenty if anything. Decent find given the two boozers right round the corner on the main road (Griffin?) are mobbed up with bouncers and home fans only. 

Nowhere worth drinking near the ground (nothing worth doing either) but the Drysalters shout is right. Feels longer than the 10 minutes it takes to get there from the ground but big pub, quite happy with away fans, big screen sport, and never too busy as it's literally on a massive dual carriageway. Doesn't make it any good.

The horrific bar/wipe clean diner thing attached to the away end should be avoided like the plague unless you literally have the plague and have no other options. 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Head of Steam on that little cut-through - something hill? - is a great pub/bar. Been in the last 3 times, close enough to station and never any problems, bit hipster studenty if anything. Decent find given the two boozers right round the corner on the main road (Griffin?) are mobbed up with bouncers and home fans only. 

Nowhere worth drinking near the ground (nothing worth doing either) but the Drysalters shout is right. Feels longer than the 10 minutes it takes to get there from the ground but big pub, quite happy with away fans, big screen sport, and never too busy as it's literally on a massive dual carriageway. Doesn't make it any good.

The horrific bar/wipe clean diner thing attached to the away end should be avoided like the plague unless you literally have the plague and have no other options. 

Mill Hill, and yes, the Head of Steam is a decent pub with a good range of beers and lagers.

Archived