IGNORED

Grateful to Leeds

where's the joy

We should be grateful to Leeds because some of our best ever players have come from them; 

Bob Taylor, Joe Jordan, Norman Hunter and the peerless Terry Cooper, plus of course players like Jimmy Mann too

so which club do you think we have recruited best from over the years?

Chelsea perhaps, recently any others spring to mind for the number of players and the quality?

3 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

We should be grateful to Leeds because some of our best ever players have come from them; 

Bob Taylor, Joe Jordan, Norman Hunter and the peerless Terry Cooper, plus of course players like Jimmy Mann too

Chelsea perhaps, recently any others spring to mind for the number of players and the quality?

Carl Shutt as well. And John Shaw.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

All that was undone when they gave us Kilkenny.

Kilkenny was a decent passer of the ball, but couldn't run and was scared of tackling. A right whinger too. Left us to join you because you paid him much higher wages. Bates paid everyone too little, except himself, the thieving parasite. His eventual death will be the cause of great celebration in Leeds. Sorry for disrupting this thread?

Grateful ?

Some hereabouts have rightfully mentioned Kilkenny - world class pointer, utterly useless player.

They also gave us Mark Humphries, one of the worst players we've  ever fielded - think we lost every game he played. 

David Peace got it spot on: "Hateful, hateful place; spiteful spiteful place...."

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Grateful ?

Some hereabouts have rightfully mentioned Kilkenny - world class pointer, utterly useless player.

They also gave us Mark Humphries, one of the worst players we've  ever fielded - think we lost every game he played. 

David Peace got it spot on: "Hateful, hateful place; spiteful spiteful place...."

David Peace the Huddersfield Town supporter? That lot have a constant chip on their shoulder about their big brother down the road. Peace writes about 1970s/1980s Leeds anyway, today's Leeds is far different to that.

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

We got Jordan from Southampton and Cooper from Middlesbrough....we didn’t recruit them from Leeds. Jordan played for four other clubs between leaving Leeds and joining us.

Actually, over a pint the other day, me and a mate came up with over 20 players that had played for both City and Leeds...a fascinating list, but not all went direct from either club to the other...

Strange as it may seem, we’ve recruited well from Bristol Rovers when it comes to managers. Fred Ford was a coach for Rovers before becoming City manager and Terry Cooper and John Ward managed them before managing City. I can’t imagine this ever happening again as the gulf between the clubs is too big 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Grateful ?

But didn’t Humphries only play about four games for us? It’s a bit like saying Dale Gordon is one of the best Rangers players ever because he never lost a game vs Celtic during the years he was with the Teddy Bears....it wasn’t all down to him, there were ten other players helping out each time...

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But didn’t Humphries only play about four games for us? It’s a bit like saying Dale Gordon is one of the best Rangers players ever because he never lost a game vs Celtic during the years he was with the Teddy Bears....it wasn’t all down to him, there were ten other players helping out each time...

I take it you never saw him play (sic)?

We were very poor at the time and, how shall I put it, he fitted in perfectly.....?

2 hours ago, Verloc said:

Peace writes about 1970s/1980s Leeds anyway, today's Leeds is far different to that.

City or team I beg to differ. Both remain "Horrible, horrible Leeds," and the boorish denizens thereabouts are ever arrogant ****s

My best memory of Leeds was Don Gillies scoring the goal that put the top team in the land out of the FA Cup (and they didn't play understrength sides in those days) ?

Shaw was one of the most reliable keepers we have had in my 50+ years of watching City and I have great respect for Cooper and Jordan during their spells here, even if not all of them were successful.

Didn't we buy a bloke called Baird from Leeds?

Archived