IGNORED

If not Johnson; then realistically who?

Cider red

12 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I think Moyes could be tempted, his stock is quite low at the moment and he’s looking for a way to restore his reputation. Getting City up into the Premier League would be a way of doing that.

Do we really want a manager whose stock is low? Even with his experience? His record since Everton has been poor.

I don’t think it’ll happen though. Moyes wouldn’t get the wage he’d want, the budget he’d want or the control that he’d want.

Wages - agreed. Budget - as i've said already he's worked under tight budgets, might not be a problem. Control - over what?

His stock is low but he didn’t become a bad manager the second he walked through the gates at Old Trafford.

I say the budget wouldn’t be what he wants because I don’t see SL (and FFP) giving him the funds he’d want to be able to get us into the PL. 

Control would be letting him sign the players he wants with no/little interference from upstairs. 

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

When did I say we are an awful proposition? 

What did I say to put a downer on what we have to offer?

Read my posts first.

All i've said is be realistic about your suggestions. It is my opinion, that several of the names suggested, Jokanovic, Moyes and now the new manager of the Mexico national team, are not currently on our radar, or us there's.

For the right manager, this job, when it becomes available, would be a fantastic opportunity for someone. Just I highly doubt it will be those names mentioned - but I would be pleasantly surprised if it was. 

R.E your last comment about aiming high - i've said it already and i'll say it again - yes that's fine and all good and well, but it's the same as with buying new players. There are budgets and they have to be interested in coming or available. 

I’ve ‘read your post’ thanks and you were pretty rude/damning about a decent suggestion from someone with good detail to back up why as well. Maybe a little left field but certainly feasible if they are currently managing in the MLS. It didn’t warrant your rude respons imho.  

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’ve ‘read your post’ thanks and you were pretty rude/damning about a decent suggestion from someone with good detail to back up why as well. Maybe a little left field but certainly feasible if they are currently managing in the MLS. It didn’t warrant your rude respons imho.  

I called it a "crazy" example, I said nothing about the poster. It's silly season like the suggestions on the transfer forum over the summer.

Why call it crazy? Because he is going to become the next manager of Mexico, a national team.

If you think me calling an example "crazy" is rude? Well, I don't want to say exactly what i'm thinking, but maybe you're......too easily offended.

8 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

His stock is low but he didn’t become a bad manager the second he walked through the gates at Old Trafford.

Agreed.

I say the budget wouldn’t be what he wants because I don’t see SL (and FFP) giving him the funds he’d want to be able to get us into the PL. 

Agreed.

Control would be letting him sign the players he wants with no/little interference from upstairs. 

Think things may have changed on this front.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I called it a "crazy" example, I said nothing about the poster. It's silly season like the suggestions on the transfer forum over the summer.

Why call it crazy? Because he is going to become the next manager of Mexico, a national team.

If you think me calling an example "crazy" is rude? Well, I don't want to say exactly what i'm thinking, but maybe you're......too easily offended.

Haha ok then, I’m the snowflake.  You said more than than ‘crazy’ though didn’t you? But don’t let that stop you, you carry on. Quite ironic really from someone who has continually called people out about their treatment of LJ on here.

But anyway, onwards. Who are your ideas of someone that would come here then that would be an improvement on LJ? 

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

When did I say we are an awful proposition? 

What did I say to put a downer on what we have to offer?

Read my posts first.

All i've said is be realistic about your suggestions. It is my opinion, that several of the names suggested, Jokanovic, Moyes and now the new manager of the Mexico national team, are not currently on our radar, or us there's.

For the right manager, this job, when it becomes available, would be a fantastic opportunity for someone. Just I highly doubt it will be those names mentioned - but I would be pleasantly surprised if it was. 

R.E your last comment about aiming high - i've said it already and i'll say it again - yes that's fine and all good and well, but it's the same as with buying new players. There are budgets and they have to be interested in coming or available. 

How much does a top coach earn a year ?

2 million Wagner At Huddersfield,

Puel and Hodgson 2,5 million , Rafa Benitez 4 million and at the very top Pep at 15 million.

A top coach can move a club up the league , make players more valuable and bring in higher sponsorship deals . 

An average Championship player costs , what 4 or 5 million ? 

What if we bought one less average Championship footballer and instead invested in a decent coach ?

Money , wages , surely isn't the issue. 

There is also a distinct  element of power being on the club's side , an out of work coach surely cannot turn down the chance to get back in the game at a decent club on a reasonable wage ? 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Must admit I was shocked when somebody else tweeted it after the match, I didn’t realise it was that bad either. I’ve only managed 3 away games this season and seen two wins and a draw, for the first time in my life I’m considering myself lucky! 

yes with luck like that think you should definitely buy a lottery ticket this week.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Must admit I was shocked when somebody else tweeted it after the match, I didn’t realise it was that bad either. I’ve only managed 3 away games this season and seen two wins and a draw, for the first time in my life I’m considering myself lucky! 

If we have a whip round , what are your plans this week M

:whistle2:

I can’t see Johnson going anywhere in even the medium term. I’ve always been in the give him time camp but I have huge misgivings about him right now. The boom and bust runs of results and performances is a constant of Johnson’s career and he doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix it. The 2018 form has been abysmal... I didn’t realise it was 9 wins in 40 odd until I saw that on here. That shouldn’t be allowed to continue unquestioned. 

The next 2 games are massive.... lose both of those and I think a large number of fans would start to turn. 

As for replacements, as I said I just can’t see him going anywhere any time soon. Lansdown has invested far too much in him to get rid of him without giving him loads more time. 

If/when LJ does eventually go I just can’t see SL going for a big name/personality. History tells us that he just doesn’t get on with those types, regardless of the fact that the fan base would want someone in that mould. I think he would go for someone like Appleton, and Ashton would spend hours telling us what a superb, progressive coach he is. Either that or he’ll promote McAllister or Holden into the top job. I hope that isn’t what happens, but I’d put my money on someone of that nature sadly. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Why is it crazy? It’s a suggestion with good detail as to why it may be feasible. Why do you think we are such an awful proposition for these Managers? You seem to have a real downer as to what we can offer. We need to be aiming high whenever the next appointment is made.

there are certainly some pessimists on here, we are an attractive club for a manager, some people like a challenge and the potential is there for the right man to make this club a solid mid table premiership team.

19 minutes ago, lenred said:

Haha ok then, I’m the snowflake.  You said more than than ‘crazy’ though didn’t you? But don’t let that stop you, you carry on. Quite ironic really from someone who has continually called people out about their treatment of LJ on here.

But anyway, onwards. Who are your ideas of someone that would come here then that would be an improvement on LJ? 

Excuse me? Sorry hang on there.

Please tell, explicitly, feel free to quote me, exactly where I’ve said ‘more’ and what you’re on about?? Or are you just making stuff up? 

Very happy to be proved wrong - but at least back yourself up.

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we have a whip round , what are your plans this week M

:whistle2:

I think I have jinxed it now but I’ve done Ipswich, Brum and Derby last season so will give them a miss. My next away day is Stoke, certainly jinxed that haven’t I.

Just now, Alessandro said:

Excuse me? Sorry hang on there.

Please tell, explicitly, feel free to quote me, exactly where I’ve said ‘more’ and what you’re on about?? Or are you just making stuff up? 

Very happy to be proved wrong - but at least back yourself up.

You wrote facepalm in capital letters did you not? To me thats rude as a) it’s shouting and b) it’s implying the person making the suggestion is saying something stupid or indeed ‘crazy’. Which they were not. It’s a decent suggestion. 

Erm whoever said Ffs not Wilder. That'll be the manager with a 52.5% win ratio at Sheffield United 44% elsewhere..worked miracles at Oxford and gets great results out of players and can motivate.

Failing to see what the Ffs was all about??

12 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Erm whoever said Ffs not Wilder. That'll be the manager with a 52.5% win ratio at Sheffield United 44% elsewhere..worked miracles at Oxford and gets great results out of players and can motivate.

Can’t speak for that poster but would Wilder be realistic?

Why on Earth would he leave Sheffield Utd to come here?

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

You wrote facepalm in capital letters did you not? To me thats rude as a) it’s shouting and b) it’s implying the person making the suggestion is saying something stupid or indeed ‘crazy’. Which they were not. It’s a decent suggestion. 

You’re really clutching at straws here aren’t you - so writing “facepalm” is rude? 

What was I saying, easily offended? If you want, you can read anything you like into anything written and be offended. Looks like you’re one of those. Snowflake was it you called yourself?

From your dig at me in your previous post, looks like you want to score some points against me. Must try harder. Next time at least bring more than a knife to a gun fight. 

Putting aside this nonsense, you think suggesting the man who is about to become the next Mexico manager, the manager of a national football team, you know, playing in the copa America, World Cup etc etc....is not a ‘crazy’ suggestion?!

16 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Can’t speak for that poster but would Wilder be realistic?

Why on Earth would he leave Sheffield Utd to come here?

That was me and I was saying FFS at the suggestion of Wilder as even a possibility of leaving Sheffield Utd, his boyhood club, with whom he is currently doing a cracking job with.

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Puel and Hodgson 2,5 million , Rafa Benitez 4 million and at the very top Pep at 15 million.

A top coach can move a club up the league , make players more valuable and bring in higher sponsorship deals . 

What if we bought one less average Championship footballer and instead invested in a decent coach ?

There is also a distinct  element of power being on the club's side , an out of work coach surely cannot turn down the chance to get back in the game at a decent club on a reasonable wage ? 

Bielsa at Leeds...didn't come cheap based on a Leeds fan I know- I'm sure he saw it as a great challenge, but then the cash doubtless helped too.

Think £3-3.5m at Leeds.

Agree @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan not a chance Wilder would come here currently- not a chance.

That was me and I was saying FFS at the suggestion of Wilder as even a possibility of leaving Sheffield Utd, his boyhood club, with whom he is currently doing a cracking job with.

That was how I read it in your original reply although I didn’t want to jump the gun.

Wilder is obviously a very good manager, I’d love to see him come here but I just can’t see why he would, especially at the moment?

You’re really clutching at straws here aren’t you - so writing “facepalm” is rude? 

What was I saying, easily offended? If you want, you can read anything you like into anything written and be offended. Looks like you’re one of those. Snowflake was it you called yourself?

From your dig at me in your previous post, looks like you want to score some points against me. Must try harder. Next time at least bring more than a knife to a gun fight. 

Putting aside this nonsense, you think suggesting the man who is about to become the next Mexico manager, the manager of a national football team, copa America, World Cup etc etc....is not a ‘crazy’ suggestion?!

Points against you? Blimey you have obviously have a massively inflated opinion of yourself. And you call me a snowflake! I’ve called you out on a rude comment and you evidently don’t like it. Fair enough but judging my your reaction it’s definitely hit a nerve. Your prerogative of course....

And no I don’t think its unrealistic as an idea actually. No more unrealistic than Bielsa at Leeds was and that’s gone ok. As others have said managers wages and fees are not generally at the same level as players. We’ve been spending decent money on players for a while now - some would say wasting good money - so it’s about time we spent decent money on a manager. 

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I read Moyes was on £3m a year at West Ham. Let's say an average of a three year contract, £9m. 

What's LJ on? I believe championship managers wages are in the £250-500k a year mark on average, £1.5m over three years.

So it would be at least tripling the 'budget' on a manager, even if Moyes took a 50% pay cut from his last job.

Still I agree, it's not crazy money, one player less for example, for the right manager, who is worth his salts. 

I'd love us to do that, but I just can't see it. With a manager of that calibre/expectation will come an increase in fees/wages for the signings he'd want and with FFP, how much more have we got?

SL has gone down a similar route before and it didn't work, can't see him doing it again.

R.E with a manager out of work - as i've said already, in the specific case of Moyes, he is still being paid his £3m a year by West Ham until next summer - so is in no hurry. Taking a job with us could cost him financially twice (if he cares about the money) - so he is probably not in a massive hurry wage wise to work again, he'll wait until the inevitable job comes up at a Southampton for example.

I say all this about the names mentioned on here only because, if, LJ gets sacked, you just know it'll be JMac or Appleton or someone like that. And there will be the inevitable disappointment because people got over excited talking about unrealistic targets. Very happy to be proved wrong on this, and I'll apologise if we appoint Moyes or Jokanovic, but IMO, I can't see it, even if I want it myself.

Lee Johnson is going nowhere, unfortunately, and any talk of Wilder is pure fantasy up there with Peter Pan and Harry Potter.

If, and it's a very big IF, LJ is removed then it will probably be offered to Jamie Mc Allister. I suspect Holden will leave and go back to Manchester if LJ goes.

And if one wants to go really "left field" how about Lansdown replacing Lee with his father?

I wouldn't rule anything out, but all the other big names like Moyes, Pearson are just pipe dreams from all of us. We know that a decent manager would make progress toward a decent, consistent, no four month blips, team that had a realistic chance of reaching the play-offs.

But inaction until it will be too late is par for the course at City, so start planning your away days at Oxford, Scunthorpe and maybe the Gas.

16 minutes ago, lenred said:

Points against you? Blimey you have obviously have a massively inflated opinion of yourself. And you call me a snowflake! I’ve called you out on a rude comment and you evidently don’t like it. Fair enough but judging my your reaction it’s definitely hit a nerve. Your prerogative of course....

I have no problem with you calling my comment rude, if you can actually support your argument properly. I have a problem with you twisting the truth and my words to back up your failed argument. Apparently you've hit a nerve?? How do you work that one out? But then again you've taken everything i've written and interpreted (twisted) it how you like to suit you, so I see i'm banging my head against the proverbial wall here.

And no I don’t think its unrealistic as an idea actually. No more unrealistic than Bielsa at Leeds was and that’s gone ok. As others have said managers wages and fees are not generally at the same level as players. We’ve been spending decent money on players for a while now - some would say wasting good money - so it’s about time we spent decent money on a manager. 

I'll say this, for about the 10th time, he is unrealistic because he is soon to be appointed manager of Mexico. Why don't we go for Gareth Southgate, he likes to blood young players.

7 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

So, in your opinion Atlanta United, a football club that have existed for less time than LJ has managed us, are a better prospect?

I’m not sure that’s particularly relevant mate. I don’t know much about the MLS but a quick look at Atlanta Utd on Google shows me a team with a huge, impressive stadium who have already recorded a 70k+ attendance for a football match. 

Theres clearly the foundations of a genuinely big football club there, no matter what people’s opinions are of Major League Soccer.

55 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I read it as FFS , why would he leave the Blades for City .

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

So, in your opinion Atlanta United, a football club that have existed for less time than LJ has managed us, are a better prospect?

Well that that's not what i'm saying or have said. 

What I am saying is he left Atlanta because he didn't sign a new contract, although they wanted him to stay. Of course they do, they're flying in the MLS.

Because he is going to be appointed the next Mexico manager. 

Therefore - I'd say it is a non-starter. Regardless of if on paper he'd be someone we'd love to have.

Archived