IGNORED

If not Johnson; then realistically who?

Cider red

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m not sure that’s particularly relevant mate. I don’t know much about the MLS but a quick look at Atlanta Utd on Google shows me a team with a huge, impressive stadium who have already recorded a 70k+ attendance for a football match. 

Theres clearly the foundations of a genuinely big football club there, no matter what people’s opinions are of Major League Soccer.

Probably not, but it's a sign that he's willing to venture outside of his comfort zone to a club with no real expectation.

Where I feel it is relevant is that he took the job without knowing that football in Atlanta would take off as well as it had. Atlanta is their surprise success story. The successes MLS have had in Portland and Seattle have been long expected due to the popularity of the sport over there, but Georgia was always seen as a hard market to crack.

On the Mexico links - it's not been confirmed yet. The MLS commissioner mentioned it, and the MLS website posts all rumours around its league. Martino is one of the names in the frame, but there are a few others. One of the other frontrunners is Lopetegui, who recently left Real Madrid.

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Boothroyd would be an interesting choice, but from memory his Watford were quite long ball/direct?

I am reading a book called 'life on the volcano' about how tough it is to be a manager. Boothroyd is featured in one of the chapters. He insists he is not a long ball coach and i'm not sure you'd get a job at England playing that system.

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve quite clearly backed up my comments - quoting you verbatim. Nothing has been twisted whatsoever. You evidently didn’t like it and have accused me of trying to score points over you for some random reason. But as I’ve already said that’s your prerogative. I’m not getting sucked in. You’ve been rude elsewhere here as well ‘FFS’ someone else’s comments on Wilder as well. Why the anger?  It’s a debate, a discussion. Are you really that upset at people making suggestions? Seems weird to get so angry about it  

14 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I am reading a book called 'life on the volcano' about how tough it is to be a manager. Boothroyd is featured in one of the chapters. He insists he is not a long ball coach and i'm not sure you'd get a job at England playing that system.

Perhaps it is a fine line then between direct and long ball- fairly sure his Watford were quite direct but then again that was a long time ago- maybe he has developed his style since.

36 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Probably not, but it's a sign that he's willing to venture outside of his comfort zone to a club with no real expectation.

Where I feel it is relevant is that he took the job without knowing that football in Atlanta would take off as well as it had. Atlanta is their surprise success story. 

I see your point now. What you say is true but I’m guessing (like I say I don’t know the MLS at all) that with the infrastructure in place in Atlanta along with presumably the promise of plenty of $$ as well as the interest from the local population it would still be an exciting and attractive prospect for a lot of managers. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

I’ve quite clearly backed up my comments - quoting you verbatim. Nothing has been twisted whatsoever. You evidently didn’t like it and have accused me of trying to score points over you for some random reason. But as I’ve already said that’s your prerogative. I’m not getting sucked in. You’ve been rude elsewhere here as well ‘FFS’ someone else’s comments on Wilder as well. Why the anger?  It’s a debate, a discussion. Are you really that upset at people making suggestions? Seems weird to get so angry about it  

You seem very sensitive - are you having a bad day? Got your knickers in a twist over there haven't you! 

If you want to have a chat about anything, it's a forum so i'm sure we can all help you.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep if off the forum, i'm a good listener. 

10 hours ago, daored said:

We played a team on Saturday with a new manager to this country and to the demands of the championship. Whilst Leeds are paying Bielsa a hefty salary, of his starting 11 on Saturday; only one was a summer signing, two were making their debuts and a couple were hardly used in the previous season. 

Bielsa has got them playing in his system, wherever they maintain it for the season remains to be seen, but clearly a number of players are improved from last season. 

You look at city this year, and we don’t have a settled team, look at @Davefevs weekly thread guess the team for evidence. What is our playing style?

Johnson has been here for several seasons now with the exception of  Korey, Marlon & Pack these are his players. Which players have improved under Johnson? Reid and who else ? 

I think Bielsa shows that if you get the right manager in, who coaches the players he has, a settled team you can achieve in this league

I’ve been quiet this weekend on OTIB.  Find it difficult to have too much input when I’ve not seen the game live or via a stream.  I took my daughter to see Nativity Rocks at Vue Cribbs on Saturday afternoon (Joe watched that Fantastic Beasts with his mate).  I can recommend it to those of you that like a predictable comedy with some British stars.

I then went with both kids (and Joe’s mate) to watch the Flyers v Wolves (Worcester).  As usual game ebbed and flowed, but Flyers went into h-t up by 6....but a poor 3rd quarter and start to the 4th, saw us 10 down with 7:51 to go.  That’s not a disaster in Basketball, as you can put together a 12-15 point run.  The coach made some subtle changes and after getting 2pts back, one of the non-starters - Mayindombe (who runs his nuts off for the team every game - accepting his role to allow the “stars” to rest) hassled their ball-player, passed to a team-mate unselfishly, who rammed down the dunk.  6pts Down, crowd going mental, sensing a typical Flyers come back was on.

Cue a run of 13 more unanswered points and a 7 point lead, with guys laying it on the line defensively, knowing every pressured shot, might lead to a miss and a chance to get the rebound and “transition” (LJ phrase that’s not really applicable in football - counter attack from a set-piece maybe) into offence...and more points.

Every player knowing his role.  Mayindombe sticking to Thoseby (International player) like shit to a blanket, until he too needed a rest.  Critically I’d say he kept him on 2 minutes too long, but the momentum had shifted.

Back to football and some analogies:

- when was the last time our eleven players looked like a team, all singing from the same hymn sheet?  Stoke second half we played well, but it wasn’t structured, it was shit or bust and it almost paid off.

- when did we last see a crunching tackle to get the crowd going (comparing to Mayindombe’s steal)?  Mark Little v Villa in 16/17?  We are soft.  I’m sure Korey has in the intervening two seasons, but that Little challenge roused the crowd.

- when do I ever hear Coach Kapoulas make excuses in the media about the officials? Never

- when do I hear Coach K call out his players in the media for a defeat?  Never.  Do I hear him bollocking his players?  Yes, but with encouragement and construction because they’ve set standards and they know when they’ve dropped below them. 

- when do I ever hear Coach K take credit for a win?  Never, it’s always about the players, sometimes the other coaches, and always credit for the fans.  LJ uses a lot of “I did”, “I though”, etc.

Okay, it’s not a direct read-across and the pressure of a multi-million pound Championship compared to hundreds of thousands of pounds in the BBL has little comparison, but I do think there are learnings in work ethic, do or die attitude (players), man-management (LJ and his coaches) etc.

How do our players react in the "clutch" situation!!!!

9 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Erm whoever said Ffs not Wilder. That'll be the manager with a 52.5% win ratio at Sheffield United 44% elsewhere..worked miracles at Oxford and gets great results out of players and can motivate.

Failing to see what the Ffs was all about??

Haha yeah like Wilder would come here ?

Edit: just read numerous replies with the same sentiment. Not aimed at you, Ralph!

8 hours ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

Moyes 

Jokanovic

(ambitious)

Carvalhal 

Jackett  

(more realistic) 

Think there’s a fair chance LJ goes end of season but SL will do everything to avoid it before then. 

Carry on this losing streak he’ll have to act as we’ll be in the bottom 3 by Christmas. 

All 4 of those are good suggestions. Jackett would be a good, realistic target.

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I've spoken a lot about this for years now. My position has always been to give time to managers and continuity (which is difficult in football) is generally a good thing.

In answer to the second part of your question, I think LJ has had plenty of time. The youngest, longest serving manager in the country. 

It comes down to the opinion of his boss if it's 'enough' or not - what the club expects him to have achieved with that time given.

Next two games are massive IMO.

That's pretty shocking considering he's had one full season. I guess there aren't that many young managers about. This season was always going to be about re-grouping following the sales of key players.

Agreed the next two games are huge. If we get 6 points it will probably secure his job until Christmas. Personally for me, if I were his boss, mid-table finish would be enough to give him another stint next season and lets not forget that's still well within our reach.

26 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It will take a relegation battle and fans turning on SL before he changes LJ. He is bizarrely blinded on this one . He thought he had discovered a hidden gem ? but he’s still not willing to admit he got plundered and got cubic zirconium. 

Imho, you have hit the nail on the head.  SL desperate to show he understands football.  Grateful for his money, and what it’s done, but stick to what you’re good at.

27 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

That's pretty shocking considering he's had one full season. I guess there aren't that many young managers about. This season was always going to be about re-grouping following the sales of key players.

Agreed the next two games are huge. If we get 6 points it will probably secure his job until Christmas. Personally for me, if I were his boss, mid-table finish would be enough to give him another stint next season and lets not forget that's still well within our reach.

So is relegation well within our reach....many clubs have thought they are too good to go down...SL better wake up soon or he could see both his rugby and football clubs go down.

We chose to sell those 3 and more players, LJ also picked their replacements; other clubs have also been in the transfer market by the way and have changed their players; you are just putting excuses out there just like lee ....the ref....we were tired....fine lines...etc, etc the players and most of the staff are not good enough hence the last 10 games= 8points gained from the 30 available.

19 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

So maybe we ( I) underestimate the miracle LJ is performing with his budget 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely - been saying that for ages. LJ is doing a remarkable job with one hand tied behind his back,

Blige!!!

A budget that posted a £25m loss, the biggest in history!!  If one hand is tied behind his back, then it’s a prosthetic one ?

Selling Flint, Reid and Bryan was a form of punishment.  Converting Reid to a striker was his get out of jail free card.  Without that money, we wouldn’t have been able to invest hardly anything in recruitment in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely - been saying that for ages. LJ is doing a remarkable job with one hand tied behind his back,

hes made some rubbish signings with the money, cant manage himself or exp players; he new the plan and budget when he signed up and I`m sure if he went to SL with a must have player he would get him. I don't buy this one hand behind his back rubbish.......like other managers have a free unlimited spend and he dosent........rubbish.

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

This I am trying to come to terms with . But it depends if SL feels the same !

i actually believe SL will spend what it takes if he is convinced .

Within the rules of FFP!

Despite his wealth , the numbers today are mind blowing . I also feel SL has no one to advise and guide him in football . 

That’s what he brought Mark Ashton in to do, firstly to get rid of Cotts.  MA hadn’t read all the script and unfortunately he wanted Appleton, not realising SL had already chosen LJ.  Bad choice, wrong hymn sheet.

Ps 

someone should look at the Eisa transfer and who got what from that deal . All sorts of comment Cheltenham end.  Football needs to become far more transparent. 

Serious amount of money (£1.5m) for a lg2 player, who at 24, had not played at lg2 level.  Far be it from me to suggest transparency might throw up something???

6 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

hes made some rubbish signings with the money, cant manage himself or exp players; he new the plan and budget when he signed up and I`m sure if he went to SL with a must have player he would get him. I don't buy this one hand behind his back rubbish.......like other managers have a free unlimited spend and he dosent........rubbish.

Tend to agree that LJ doesn't get the best out of- perhaps doesn't know how to get the best out of (or at least get them in their most cohesive shape, best possible chance of success) the players he has or has signed.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

We chose to sell those 3 and more players, 

Did we really choose?  Did we hawk those players around and say to them, you’re being sold like it or not?  I would think it more likely the players via their agents were looking for a move, career progression, financial gain, personal development and its quite possible that they felt the couldn’t achieve that here.

So what would you do, refuse to sell them, piss them off, see them end up in the stiffs?   Or like any good Manager in any business, let good staff chase their dreams and careers when the time comes.  The players hold the power, the fact that a club holds their contract means nothing, how many times does a club refuse a move for a player that is desperate to go, unless it’s one who has unlimited finances to inflict a bit of spite.

Well I can't see him being sacked anytime soon. But if he did go then I think Moyes would realistically be interested but SL wouldn't offer him it. As others have said it will probably be Jamie mac, Appleton or someone else uninspiring. 

We need to go with someone experienced like Moyes, Warnock if he became available, those types or go the big name not long retired like Lampard as an example, can't think of the top of my head who's available like that but someone who could attract players or have connections with big clubs for loans

3 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Well I can't see him being sacked anytime soon. But if he did go then I think Moyes would realistically be interested but SL wouldn't offer him it. As others have said it will probably be Jamie mac, Appleton or someone else uninspiring. 

We need to go with someone experienced like Moyes, Warnock if he became available, those types or go the big name not long retired like Lampard as an example, can't think of the top of my head who's available like that but someone who could attract players or have connections with big clubs for loans

You mean like LJ does with Chelsea? (Kalas, Dasilva, Tammy)

For the record I want him gone but we already have that in him.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Did we really choose?  Did we hawk those players around and say to them, you’re being sold like it or not?  I would think it more likely the players via their agents were looking for a move, career progression, financial gain, personal development and its quite possible that they felt the couldn’t achieve that here.

So what would you do, refuse to sell them, piss them off, see them end up in the stiffs?   Or like any good Manager in any business, let good staff chase their dreams and careers when the time comes.  The players hold the power, the fact that a club holds their contract means nothing, how many times does a club refuse a move for a player that is desperate to go, unless it’s one who has unlimited finances to inflict a bit of spite.

thought the whole point of "the plan" was to build the dream, not keep knocking things down? Villas forward line would score a few goals for us and have us flying, if only we had them eh.....oh wait a minute we did ......once. Seems like we are paying a high price for "sustainability" and where is it taking us?

54 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

2 full seasons.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Blige!!!

A budget that posted a £25m loss, the biggest in history!!  If one hand is tied behind his back, then it’s a prosthetic one ?

Selling Flint, Reid and Bryan was a form of punishment.  Converting Reid to a striker was his get out of jail free card.  Without that money, we wouldn’t have been able to invest hardly anything in recruitment in the summer.

Think about the strategy that SL wants him to work within.........LJ is employed to bring stability and sustainability and the revenue generated by the departure of Bryan, Flint and Reid goes towards the sustainability of the club but despite that income City still lost £25m..........

LJ signed several players but many  of them were for development - speculate to accumulate. He also signed players ready for the Championship but I’ll bet they didn’t cost more than the income from the summer departures.

22 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Jeez..........you’re soooo bloody predictable...............:sleeping:

15 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

thought the whole point of "the plan" was to build the dream, not keep knocking things down? Villas forward line would score a few goals for us and have us flying, if only we had them eh.....oh wait a minute we did ......once. Seems like we are paying a high price for "sustainability" and where is it taking us?

Let's be fair- the jury is still out on this.

By which I mean if Birmingham as the most recent and high profile case for example get a big points deduction and a fairly open ended transfer embargo, then suddenly our plan will look not a bad shout- because if that happens that will spook a number of clubs because they will see that and may well be worried about the same- that could actually open up the market to us a bit, or said clubs may have to sell quickly to PL or abroad- thereby weakening the competition- a lot depends on this season though.

Archived