IGNORED

SPOTY

22A

It's almost time for this year's Sports personality of the year. As the public at large vote, all too often those nominated are footballers, F1 drivers, boxers or in Olympic years, athletes.

Who do you reckon will win thew award this year and

Who do you thing should win it, but won't because they are a champion in the wrong sportsuch as speedway, darts or angling etc,

The word ‘Personality’ in the award’s title is the one that people often overlook and seem to replace it with ‘Achiever’ in their own minds....Nigel Mansell won the Sports Personality of the Year Award....what a joke....he had the personality of a pebble....but, if the award had been based on achievement then he would have richly deserved it....either rename it or give up....

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

The word ‘Personality’ in the award’s title is the one that people often overlook and seem to replace it with ‘Achiever’ in their own minds....Nigel Mansell won the Sports Personality of the Year Award....what a joke....he had the personality of a pebble....but, if the award had been based on achievement then he would have richly deserved it....either rename it or give up....

yes, Red Rum won it one year. 

I'd go back to the smaller studio format too. It used to be really funny.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve never understood the naming of it either. Just Sportsperson of the year, or sporting achievement would be better.

If it was purely on personality I’m sure it would go to people who try hard, enjoy their sport but ultimately never win anything of note rather than the Andy Murray’s of this world.

Can’t say I’ve watched it for a few years though, too much back slapping and taking hours to do nothing and  overly polished for my liking. I’m sure it used to be good/better

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’ve never understood the naming of it either. Just Sportsperson of the year, or sporting achievement would be better.

If it was purely on personality I’m sure it would go to people who try hard, enjoy their sport but ultimately never win anything of note rather than the Andy Murray’s of this world.

Because the word "Personality" does not only mean those aspects of one human's demeanour and humour that contribute to making them distinct from the normal, unremarkable human.

The word can mean a celebrity or known person, or it can, in an older use, quite simply mean a "person". it is in this simpler context that it is used in the naming of the award.

Calling it the "Sportsperson Award" would simply be abbreviating the current title.

As to who should win it this year...I don't know...It has been a year dominated by teams rather than individuals but it will probably go to Hamilton. Although personally I'd argue Geraint Thomas deserves it.

Team of the year is far more interesting - Ryder Cup, England Football, Team Sky.

14 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Having watched the recent documentary about Billy Monger and his fight to continue his motor racing career ( as a double amputee) I so hope that this young lad gets a nomination . Absolutely inspirational ! 

I hope so too, great shout. I still haven’t watched the documentary, I think it will be just too emotional

7 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Obviously it depends on who he's up against but Lewis Hamilton has to be up there with a chance. I find him very irritating but the guy is a monster, and this year was an outstanding season from him.

Prob between him Harry Kane and Geraint Thomas.

I used to look forward to Spoty but lost a bit of interest in recent years and haven’t watched it for a while now. It became overlong and dragged out and frankly a bit boring........

Hamilton will probably win it but won’t be there to pick up the award......:cool2:

I’d like to see Geraint Thomas win but the sport of cycling in the eyes of many is meh......

10 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Having watched the recent documentary about Billy Monger and his fight to continue his motor racing career ( as a double amputee) I so hope that this young lad gets a nomination . Absolutely inspirational ! 

Young sports personality of the year? 

Main contenders you'd think would be Hamilton, Kane, Thomas, Joshua probably will be there just for continuing his streak. Tommy Fleetwood perhaps? 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it’s you that is misinterpreting the word “personality” to be honest. 

In it’s context is meant as an individual (any group/sex/race etc)   who has stood out. 

Not the one that’s best fun to go out for a few pints with..! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In it’s context is meant as an individual (any group/sex/race etc)   who has stood out. 

I swear we get this same debate every year.

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

One definition of personality is genuinely ‘a person of importance, prominence, renown, or notoriety’, eg- a TV personality.

....and another is “...the combination of characteristics and engaging qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character” 

So, it’s ambiguous....and therefore unclear and confusing...

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Like Red Rum, not sure he would’ve got a round in (you can take a horse to the pub but can’t make him drink) but he sure was an amazing race horse and people genuinely loved him. 

On 26/11/2018 at 22:58, Baldyman said:

There’s a separate award for just that, the Helen Rollason award. Bradley Lowry won it last year

7 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Dont watch it anymore seems to me only the white middle classes vote 2016 voted Murray and some show jumper when

Mo Farah unbeaten in two Olympics should have won by a mile.

Umm to be fair Murray had a sensational year! He won his second Olympics gold in a row too, as well as become the first Brit to reach world number 1 (and being doubles world no 1 at the same time).

Of course feel free to bring race and class into it, if that was the case he wouldn’t have won it last year.

Archived