IGNORED

FA Cup Numbers/Draw - HUDDERSFIELD HOME (Merged)

phantom

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

On reflection with the quality of players in that City side   we should have been nowhere near relegation ; Waugh, Walsh , Newman, Taylor all top players .

I think there were a couple of reasons for the struggle that season. The first was a hangover from the Playoff defeat against Walsall the season before, Secondly the run to the Littlewoods Cup semi did not help. If I.remember we had quite a few FA Cup ties that year including 4 against Aldershot.

JJ wasn’t helped that the Gas made the Playoffs. Good old Robbie Earle

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This was revenge....Bobby T on fire....

One of the few times I missed goals. I was in the ship with a mate ,Dave Bateman who liked the odd drink, he wanted one more and as we hadn't been great I agreed. Missed the first 2 ******* goals by the time we got in the Dolman , just glad we got a few more. 
As an aside, the only other goal I can remember missing , away at Wimbledon. Went 1-0 down so went for a piss in time to miss one of the Kelly's getting the equaliser. I don't do that now either, nip out during the game that is, I do still piss.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

One of the few times I missed goals. I was in the ship with a mate ,Dave Bateman who liked the odd drink, he wanted one more and as we hadn't been great I agreed. Missed the first 2 ******* goals by the time we got in the Dolman , just glad we got a few more. 
As an aside, the only other goal I can remember missing , away at Wimbledon. Went 1-0 down so went for a piss in time to miss one of the Kelly's getting the equaliser. I don't do that now either, nip out during the game that is, I do still piss.

I went for an early wazz during a game at Tannadice Park once and missed two goals....I had a fair few snifters on the way up and needed to p*ss like a well-hydrated shire horse....

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Who have we signed directly from them down the years? I can only think of Junior Bent. Jon Stead did go the other way when he left us though.

Good q.....

Struggling here......

Jamie Paterson was there on loan prior to us buying him and Hunt is ex Udders......hmmmmm

Frank Worthington.

No, I know we didn't sign him, but I saw him play against us in the late 1960s/early 1970s, standing on that little white wall and clinging to the railings in what was then the Open End (me, that is, not FW).

I can still recall his tricks in the pre-match warm up, right in front of me: what a wonderful player and, as I was to discover many years later, what a character. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Who have we signed directly from them down the years? I can only think of Junior Bent. Jon Stead did go the other way when he left us though.

The late Jack Connor joined us from Huddersfield in October 1960 in a swap deal, with John McCann going the other way 

On 04/12/2018 at 09:37, BobBobSuperBob said:

Welcome Bugliner

How are you finding the overall experience of the Premier League ?

( You did brilliantly last season to stay up and bloody a few noses)

Apologies. Only just seen this, and thank you.

Bloody loving the fact that we're competing at a level that I never thought I'd see us at. Not so much for the experience of being here (I'm more accustomed to us playing against Hartlepool than Liverpool) but because of the change it's bringing to the club. We'll doubtless be relegated soon - if not this season then it won't be far away - but when we do eventually drop back into the Championship, we won't be minnows. We'll actually be able to compete on a financial footing with most other clubs in the division when we do finally succumb. The long term benefit of PL money is the big thing for me. Invested wisely (& it seems to be) it could see us right for a generation.

On 04/12/2018 at 09:40, RedM said:

Can’t blame you, but in your favour we are getting beaten by almost everyone at the moment. The Caraboo cup last year was great for us, but widely blamed for costing us at least a playoff place if not an auto spot. I don’t think the FA cup will be of much interest to many unless we had pulled out a top 6 cup. Many are voting with their feet as they have no confidence in our Manager. There is a lot of unrest here,  we are as split as any Brexit vote, and I don’t know what the situation will be by the time we meet. 

If we had to play you I would have liked an away tie, never been to Huddersfield.  Sorry but I was wanting you to lose the playoff’s when you played Reading I think it was, purely as I planned to go there the next season. I used to watch Aaron Mooy on tv playing in Australia, would have liked him here. 

We feel the same about this tie as you do, unlike you we can’t wish for anything local as most of our games are 100 miles plus away. I might go, hope we price sensibly for both sets of fans.

In your situation I'd probably have been rooting for Reading too. There's loads of clubs near Huddersfield, so it isn't far for us to travel, whatever division we're in. 

For the most part, we're not split. Wagner is massively overachieving. There are a few who don't like seeing us get pumped & want a change, but then you see Man City with a player on their bench who cost as much as our entire 1st XI & wonder what more people want from a manager than to see us still in with a chance of staying up.

As for Mooy, he'll be in the PL next season whether we stay up or not.

9 hours ago, Bugliner said:

Apologies. Only just seen this, and thank you.

Bloody loving the fact that we're competing at a level that I never thought I'd see us at. Not so much for the experience of being here (I'm more accustomed to us playing against Hartlepool than Liverpool) but because of the change it's bringing to the club. We'll doubtless be relegated soon - if not this season then it won't be far away - but when we do eventually drop back into the Championship, we won't be minnows. We'll actually be able to compete on a financial footing with most other clubs in the division when we do finally succumb. The long term benefit of PL money is the big thing for me. Invested wisely (& it seems to be) it could see us right for a generation.

Good

Glad you are enjoying it - As you say raised the profile of the Club and the finances and infrastructure

Strikes me that your fans have enjoyed the ride as much as anybody for a few years

I’m an older one and aware of your history  but it’s great to see another  team push into the top division in the Premier League era

Good On ya

I hope you survive for a few years yet  

In your situation I'd probably have been rooting for Reading too. There's loads of clubs near Huddersfield, so it isn't far for us to travel, whatever division we're in. 

For the most part, we're not split. Wagner is massively overachieving. There are a few who don't like seeing us get pumped & want a change, but then you see Man City with a player on their bench who cost as much as our entire 1st XI & wonder what more people want from a manager than to see us still in with a chance of staying up.

I see you will be without Mooy for a while now, big loss. We have lost Korey Smith a huge loss in our midfield too, out since August and maybe back in February. When the football Gods don’t look favourably on you then you certainly feel it. I’ve always thought Huddersfield as one of the decent teams, best of luck for your LEAGUE season. ??

Forgot to say

Watched an article on Dean Whitehead last night

Have to say I was aware of his playing career but knew little about him, Seems like a top top pro who was instrumental from the fringes and supporting Wagner, in some of your recent success and one any club would be glad of 

A lot of players had nothing but heaps of praise for him in his encouragement , advice and support

Now packed in playing and managing your u17s ?

Top bloke 

Archived