IGNORED

"We're building a new team"

Jimbo76

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He’s both. You don’t finish in the table each time where we have if you have poor managerial skills. Whether he is fading now, standing still, not getting enough out of what’s available - id be inclined to agree.  But I also don’t think SL will roll the dice at the moment as we aren’t near the bottom 3 and aren’t likely to be. 

Personally I’d see this season out and if form continues how it has we will finish about 16th or something. Then the change may come. 

Also easy to forget that we’ve had Korey, Bailey and Fielding out all season. 3 proven players at this level. 3 that I believe would improve the team straight away. 

I'll have to agree to disagree. A good manager/coach (i.e. the whole package) in this day and age does not go on runs of 8/9 defeats in a row. This simply suggests that either:

• the training ground methods aren't working
  • the man-management motivational skills aren't working

In either case, he's found lacking in one way or another. 

I think he's a good coach because he can improve the technical ability of players who come to the club as rough diamonds. He's also been able to push already established players at this level to the higher level of performance needed to challenge for a move to a Premier League club. 

I don't think he's a good manager because I look at our players and it's patently obvious that not a single one of them has that desire instilled into them to run through walls for the shirt, the fans, and (ironically) the manager. Even Korey Smith, who dominates entire games, I do not genuinely believe has a fire instilled inside himself each match day because of Lee Johnson's man management skills. 

I said that losses against Ipswich and Millwall would be time for a change at the helm. As it is, he should stay but I really worry about the inevitable wasting of money in January. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Today wasn’t a bad performance

Dave I always read your comments and most of the time agree with you but I can’t agree with the above comment . Totally gutted I have a season ticket . Bored to tears watching this team go rapidly backwards. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

January will be very interesting if he has to generate the funds to bring players in.

I can only speculate what we might get for the likes of Baker or Diedhiou for example.  I fear if we lose Webster, he’s been our stand-out player. 

The only outstanding signing made by Johnson relative to the fee, out of his 47 signings, I’d say. 

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

To be fair if you have to sell your 3 prize assets then you have to rebuild and it isn’t easy. I do think that Kalas and Kelly are decent replacements and we shouldn’t be as far away from where we were last season. 

Yep......but we haven't replaced the most important individual of the 3, adequately.  We received 10 million for a recognised goalscorer, and have attempted to replace him by paying peanuts and trying to do it on the cheap!  It's poor planning and management, and the chooks are coming home to roost. Ha!...........and I won't even attempt to explain our midfield

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The players all expressed a desire to leave. Bryan was prepared to run down his contract as was Reid. None of them wanted any part of this second half of 2018. They had all just been through the first half. 

Rubbish!

Both Bryan and Ried knew full well that they’d be moving to the PL after the impressive cup run and TV exposure and no Championship footballer would turn down such an opportunity - good possibility that both will be back in the Championship next season.....

Flint moved for a decent wedge increase and hearty signing on fee plus a better chance of reaching the pl with Boro.

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

RR - he signed them. The players to replace those that which he lost. And that is not a bad list. Some very, very, experienced Championship players there coupled with some very, very well trained young players. If he can't do better that's his fault, if he's bought the wrong pieces to the jigsaw, that's his fault. At least SC said 'If you don't get me the right tools, I'll name 2 empty spaces on the subs bench'  and show you, the board, up. 

The point is that this is a new team - regardless of who signed them. A new group of players will always take time to gel as a team.

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Yep......but we haven't replaced the most important individual of the 3, adequately.  We received 10 million for a recognised goalscorer, and have attempted to replace him by paying peanuts and trying to do it on the cheap!  It's poor planning and management, and the chooks are coming home to roost. Ha!...........and I won't even attempt to explain our midfield

To be fair you can’t easily replace a player like Bobby - you can identify players who you think will but no guarantee.  And he only came good for one season with us so it maybe that some does but you have to persevere for a while to get them to that level. 

As I’ve said previously, central midfield is problem although Korey will help that when he returns. Wings are pretty good especially Elliasson who has really come of age this season. Worry for me is when Pack goes out of form it has s huge impact on us with no real replacement. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The point is that this is a new team - regardless of who signed them. A new group of players will always take time to gel as a team.

Codswollop- look at England this world cup. Or Bristol City under Steve Cotterill, or any immediate team the likes of Warnock, allardyce etc build in one window. You buy the right pieces to fit in to the system you want to play. 

Unfortunately LJ wants to play 4-5 systems a game, thinking in doing so he is outsmarting the bench opposite because he is sooo damn arrogant. That meant he is buying players he can't piece together consistently and has thoroughly wasted SL's money. On players like COD who will walk for free, on Taylor Moore who will walk, on Engval, on Elliason who is too good for the players around him and will go just in the same circumstances adomah and bolasie did... 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rubbish!

Both Bryan and Ried knew full well that they’d be moving to the PL after the impressive cup run and TV exposure and no Championship footballer would turn down such an opportunity - good possibility that both will be back in the Championship next season.....

Flint moved for a decent wedge increase and hearty signing on fee plus a better chance of reaching the pl with Boro.

I’m in a facetious / impish (you decide!) mood tonight RR....Bryan was so sure he was going to the Prem that he was signing for Championship Villa!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m in a facetious / impish (you decide!) mood tonight RR....Bryan was so sure he was going to the Prem that he was signing for Championship Villa!

Nothing facetious Dave. Not at all. 

I would say Elliasson, the way he is playing, is he heading towards being a more valuable players than what he was signed for. Brownhill definitely, O'dowda probably, Walsh when he plays some games will be.

Jury out on many others like Eisa, Bakinson and many others.

Many of course have been shocking like Gustav.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

I would say Elliasson, the way he is playing, is he heading towards being a more valuable players than what he was signed for. Brownhill definitely, O'dowda probably, Walsh when he plays some games will be.

Jury out on many others like Eisa, Bakinson and many others.

Many of course have been shocking like Gustav.

ODowda is OOC at end of season

U24 compensation only

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rubbish!

Rubbish!

Three players left for better things, something the club could have avoided if they would have had the bottle to spend in the January window, instead of the shambles they brought in. LJ’s choice as he stated he has the final say on signings.And Bryan was 10 minutes away from signing for villa in the championship before the call from Fulham came in. Reid left for Cardiff who were below us in january. And flint went to boro who were also below us.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But we received a lot of revenue from those three players. LJ could have spent the money on three good replacements – although Kelly was a ready made one and mags would have been adequate cover if he had been used properly and thus didn’t want to leave - (Webster does fit this bill as an adequate replacement) rather than the seven or how-many-average players he brought in. LJ’s choice. He chose quantity over quality, as always, he chose this path which would obviously result in it being more difficult to integrate the numbers in, especially considering the low level of experience some of these players have. LJ’s choice.

Ask yourself why did those three players want to leave? More money? We were nailed on for promotion this time last year and if we hadn’t have bottled it then money would not have been an issue. If we had shown the desire the fans have and got promoted then they would have probably stayed. LJ’s choice. Blame whatever you want, perhaps LJ doesn’t have the final say on transfers, but as he has publicly stated he has the final say then he should take full responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That figure of 47 signings  -  how many were for the development set up? 

Thats the term used for the failures "ones for the future." How many were reported as ready to make an impact, like Moore, gustav, only to become "ones for the future"

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That figure of 47 signings  -  how many were for the development set up? 

Don't know off hand. Can't think of an outstanding one relative to the fee though, can you?

I can think of plenty of shite signings relative to the fee though.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Don't know off hand. Can't think of an outstanding one relative to the fee though, can you?

I can think of plenty of shite signings relative to the fee though.

Webster has potential to prove a bargain / increased resale value

Brownhill only because we got him for comp only

After that ..................

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Then we should be sorting that out I would hope...

Do you think he will sign

Cant get a starting place ?

Cant see it personally

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Codswollop- look at England this world cup. Or Bristol City under Steve Cotterill, or any immediate team the likes of Warnock, allardyce etc build in one window. You buy the right pieces to fit in to the system you want to play. 

Unfortunately LJ wants to play 4-5 systems a game, thinking in doing so he is outsmarting the bench opposite because he is sooo damn arrogant. That meant he is buying players he can't piece together consistently and has thoroughly wasted SL's money. On players like COD who will walk for free, on Taylor Moore who will walk, on Engval, on Elliason who is too good for the players around him and will go just in the same circumstances adomah and bolasie did... 

Saved me lots of typing.  Thanks

Look up and down the leagues and you will find plenty of teams that bought 5, 6,7 players into their squads over the summer and manage to do well or even excel. 

As has been said far too many already,  the quality of football is dire. 

If you lose 3 first team players (that's not that many by the way) it's up to the manager to replace them and integrate.

You can't claim 6 months later that the performance is poor because you're still trying to fill those 3 places. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because like Flint he felt he’d have a better chance of playing the in PL with Villa than with City - and dont forget the increase in wedge and the hefty signing on fee.......no doubt he got both at Fulham.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We were shit for the last 5 months with those 3 prize assets though. That’s my issue. 

While I agree ,we do miss them , but not for the position they played in apart from Reid. Flint and Bryan both had a goal threat, I would say Webster is an upgrade for Flint as a CB, and Kelly and/or DaSilva better FB's than Bryan but that's 10-15 goals a season we've lost even though the defence looks a little tighter

Building a team is interesting.

Goalkeeper..... ended up panicking as we hadn't signed cover for our only first team keeper, but we're building.

FB .................. Very promising LB signed on loan as he obviously didn't trust Kelly for a season. Now has to rotate to give either games or there might be another clause in DaSilva's contract.
Spent decent money on Hunt , who now can't get into the side infront of Pisano.

CB .................. 4 first team CB's , lucky we had injuries I guess, I can see him using a formation he doesn't like to give them games.

CMF ............... Woefully short on numbers (as he had no intention of playing Walsh) 3 midfielders to play all season is optimistic at best, Smith injury was almost inevitable , left Brownhill and Pack to run themselves into the ground again.... still building 

Wide MF/Wingers we're golden here , LJ's pet love must have signed about 6 or more over the last couple of years. Really building

Strikers ........... Fam ( I think there is a player there), Weimann never had a scoring record , but hadn't played up front for ages. Comes in , scores for fun then gets dropped back to the positions he hadn't scored from for years . Taylor , worth the money and no more. Eisa, oh who knows. Only gets 5 minutes here and there, I can see him going the way of Engvall (unless he's nice to Johnson in training).  

The problem is not only seemingly scattergun recruitment but style, formation and direction for the team when it is built . We have 4 wingers but play with a mentality that no one chases into the box. Whats the point of crossing to no one. 
Another thing, if Johnson says he has to deal then we will be selling good players (because unneeded players don't fetch good money), to try and buy good players to make a team. I know I don't trust them to do a good job.
One of our best assets is Kelly, thing is if we sold him how much would be realistic? I would guess that much of the fee would be add ons because he is raw but has bags of potential. Taylor could go, but would a Championship side want him and could a L1 club afford him? The only others we could afford to lose would be Wright or Baker, not sure how much they would bring in.

I don't think there has been a real plan for some time, it's worrying. 

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rubbish!

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rubbish!

What do you mean rubbish. 

All three players expressed a desire to leave. LJ SAID SO AND SO DID SL. Bryan was going to go to Villa for god sake!

Are you saying they didn’t and LJ and SL are lying?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Because like Flint he felt he’d have a better chance of playing the in PL with Villa than with City - and dont forget the increase in wedge and the hefty signing on fee.......no doubt he got both at Fulham.

And why is that? Because we bottled it and brought in tosh. LJ has final say on transfers, LJ's choice.

It amuses me that loads of us are lining up to knock down your daft "arguements," but the sad thing is is that you like it.

1 minute ago, Bobfish said:

And why is that? Because we bottled it and brought in tosh. LJ has final say on transfers, LJ's choice.

It amuses me that loads of us are lining up to knock down your daft "arguements," but the sad thing is is that you like it.

I think the phrase is ‘Attention seeking’

Strange , very strange 

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

What do you mean rubbish. 

All three players expressed a desire to leave. LJ SAID SO AND SO DID SL. Bryan was going to go to Villa for god sake!

Are you saying they didn’t and LJ and SL are lying?

Not at all.

All three moved on to forward their careers - and who can blame them? 

I moved 4 times in my career for exactly that reason.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo76 said:

Saved me lots of typing.  Thanks

Look up and down the leagues and you will find plenty of teams that bought 5, 6,7 players into their squads over the summer and manage to do well or even excel. 

As has been said far too many already,  the quality of football is dire. 

If you lose 3 first team players (that's not that many by the way) it's up to the manager to replace them and integrate.

You can't claim 6 months later that the performance is poor because you're still trying to fill those 3 places. 

If you know what you need you buy well. If you want to rotate players every 10 minutes thinking you're Guardiola and your players are De Bruyne you'll come unstuck. 

This is LJ's problem as I see it. He's gone to these top training camps, he's seen the top players, that does not translate to Jamie bloody Paterson. 

He thinks he's next level, he thinks his players are too. He isn't, and they aren't. He cannot build a squad because he does not know what he is building. For gawds sake, settle on 4-2-3-1,  buy the players and rotate within that system. It is not difficult. Think you can coach an ever rotational 11 to play an ever rotational system, it's borderline 'sit in the corner with a dunce hat on your head' 

Archived