IGNORED

Managerial Attributes

numbeast

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:
  • Tactically astute- but not rotating/switching like mad.
  • Able to blood youth.
  • Decent football.
  • Cohesive gameplans.
  • No favourites.
  • Reasonable record in the transfer market.
  • Ability to get the best out of what they have- even if not the best squad or transition, ability to get the best.

Good list Mr P to which I would add:

Provides thoughtful and honest comment when interviewed

Shows appreciation and respect for all those involved with the Club

Passionate about the role / Club

Proven experience at least at Championship level

27 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Good list Mr P to which I would add:

Provides thoughtful and honest comment when interviewed

Shows appreciation and respect for all those involved with the Club

Passionate about the role / Club

Proven experience at least at Championship level

Agreed- though I don't think proven at Championship the be all and end all, but yeah broadly agree with much of that.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You don’t agree that this type of thread has a ‘not so well hidden’  hidden agenda aimed at LJ?

Thats why they’re so dreary.................:disapointed2se:

If you look for hidden agendas you'll find them. I am at the moment 100% behind the head coach. I am interested in what people want if the axe does fall. Generally I find you can separate those who have reason out why they want change from those who jump on the bandwagon.

The question posed is hypothetical and a forum is, I believe, the perfect place to debate the issue. If you look at my post you'll never read about me wanting LJ out. Being a City fan I support the club and by extension club employee's such as players and management team. I will support LJ to the end then I'll support the next one in the hot seat.

As I can see the anti Johnson agenda is far from hidden on this site. You'll also forgive me when I say it is comparable to your vitriolic abuse of Johnson Sr. It is poor when someone naturally jumps to a false conclusion because they once had an agenda. For myself, if I wanted LJ sack I would come out and say I did whilst giving  reasoned arguments as to why as opposed to saying he's a non league manager. I thought I could get an adult debate started, seeing we are supposedly adults. Opinions differ but that's no reason to disrespect other if those opinions are different to your own.

56 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You’re a grown man aren’t you? Yet you take so much delight in trolling on here. It’s pretty pathetic if we’re being honest. 

Has to be the saddest gashead ever, Wembley trips etc, knows their team & more about them than most + will even wind up and antagonise City fans straight after losses.

3 hours ago, Moulin Rougier said:

Good question. What that will divide opinion!

I'd rather we were successful with who we've got (sacking and hiring is an expensive business!!) but as a starter for 10 I'd go for:

• Someone that is used to working with, improving and motivating young footballers (given our sign em young philosophy and the current make up of our squad).
  • Someone that is used to working with players they are given, rather than ones they've chosen (whoever came in would have to work with what we've got, likely to be limited funds in Jan).
  • Someone that wants to get the ball down and play. Tough when you haven't got the best of the best but doable if the manager/coaching is good enough.
  • Can speak English well (anticipating a foreign appointment).
  • Has decent footballing contacts. I don't mean a Harry Redknapp wheeler dealer, I mean a more David Wagner esq contacts - someone who has worked at a lower/youth level and knows who the good players are at that level, knows the ones that could step up.
  • Wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager, linked to the above point Wagner took a couple of lower league German players to Huddersfield in this mould.

On a lightly related note, we've heard in the past the club has a list of X names to fit each position that we target in preference order and that we do Due Diligence on these players. Do you think the Board do this for managers.

No.

He'll be tall. Taller than Lee. This isn't a joke, or a cheap shot. Just a simple, human truth/fact. How people react and respond to small people/big people, fat people/thin people. Throw-you-under-bus people/you'd-want-them-next-to-you-in-the-trenches people. And successful, got-the-medals people/unsuccessful, haven't-got-the-medals people. And so on.

Wealthy young men, full of"banter" and japes, quick to piss-taking, slow to empathise, will ideally be led by someone they instantly respect. Failing that, someone they quickly come to respect. Someone they will bust a gut for. Someone they will want to please, and impress. Someone they take seriously, ffs. 

Someone they will look up to. Metaphorically. Well, metaphorically and (you get the idea).

Alan Ball was a short-arse manager, with ginger hair and squeaky voice (a triple whammy; Moysie would never have cut it if he had been half as tall as well) but he had the medal that trumped all other medals. His players probably did say to him: "show us yer medal, gaffer," but out of admiration, rather than derision. There aren't many more short-arsed managers that I can think of that have cut it at the top level. Johnson senior did well but he arrived here with experience and some success to his name, having started lower down (not another gag). He had his limitations (professionally speaking. Well, ...) Not a top level manager.

So, tall. And 40 plus. Older than the experienced pros at least.

Two attributes I would keep in mind. Seriously. The unconscious mind of professional footballers will play havoc with the best laid plans/pillars, if the basics of human psychology are over-looked. 

I know there are plenty of managers who haven't won titles, cups and caps.

AD was a very young but very good coach. Cotterill didn't have much of a playing career. Both did well here in their differing ways.

The best modern era ones in my opinion at City have been Cooper and Jordan first time. Both had good careers with titles and caps. Both won promotion and TC took us to Wembley twice. If Jordan had stayed instead of chasing the Scotland job via Hearts, I think we could have returned to the top tier twenty five years ago.

I therefore want someone of stature and personality. It will cost more but if you pay peanuts, you only get performing apes.

Thought this was a thread about the attributes we would ant in a new manager.

Having read it, perhaps we should be looking at the attributes we want from Robbored.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:
  • Tactically astute- but not rotating/switching like mad.
  • Able to blood youth.
  • Decent football.
  • Cohesive gameplans.
  • No favourites.
  • Reasonable record in the transfer market.
  • Ability to get the best out of what they have- even if not the best squad or transition, ability to get the best.

Thats Jose out then

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

There aren’t many who perform everywhere they go. Much less people who would come here. 

Sometimes a manager and a club need to be ‘a good fit’. Most of the time that’s luck, but LJ isn’t the right fit. He’s just complete shite at the moment. 

So genuinely, I’d take nearly anyone. If you want me to choose, I’d take Nigel Clough. On the cheaper side. Has punched well above his station on a massively limited budget (which by the way we don’t have). I think he’d be worth a shot. 

Fordy..... you'd take nearly anyone. Really? I suspect you may revisit that wish if the next manager achieves, let's say..... mid table.

The only manager who will be widely accepted is one who either wins us a cup or promotion. It currently looks like LJ will bring us neither relegation nor promotion which , on here, is akin to breaking the law  for stepping on the cracks in the pavement.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Thought this was a thread about the attributes we would ant in a new manager.

Having read it, perhaps we should be looking at the attributes we want from Robbored.

Simple enough. 

Tactically astute. Good motivational skills. 

LJ has one of those for sure, not sure about the other tho.

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Fordy..... you'd take nearly anyone. Really? I suspect you may revisit that wish if the next manager achieves, let's say..... mid table.

The only manager who will be widely accepted is one who either wins us a cup or promotion. It currently looks like LJ will bring us neither relegation nor promotion which , on here, is akin to breaking the law  for stepping on the cracks in the pavement.

My problem isn’t mid table. And I’d happily take mid table now but under Johnson I don’t think we’ll get it. I just want us not to be shit. But we are. And I’m fed up of his nonsense. 

Sacking LJ is more about change than it is getting rid of him. We’re not progressing and we’re more likely to under someone else. I’m not too fussed who that is. 

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Simple enough. 

You think he’s tactically astute? You must have been watching the same games as LJ himself. 

Remarkable. 

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Simple enough. 

Are you saying that LJ is simple enough? :)

55 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

My problem isn’t mid table. And I’d happily take mid table now but under Johnson I don’t think we’ll get it. I just want us not to be shit. But we are. And I’m fed up of his nonsense. 

Sacking LJ is more about change than it is getting rid of him. We’re not progressing and we’re more likely to under someone else. I’m not too fussed who that is. 

Change for the sake of change? maybe that just gives everyone a shot in the arm.

But here's the thing Fordy; why are we possibly more likely to progress under someone else when progression means one thing: serious play-off/promotion contenders.? As we are undeniably progressing off the field, in our club structure, training facilities, Stadium and youth policy- it leaves the matter of League position or Cup run as being progression. Both were relatively pretty good last season ( since 1980)and whilst the last half a dozen games have been dire- it's not beyond LJ to turn it around. 

I ain't happy clapping but when our policy is necessarily to sell our star players, I'm not quite sure if change of manager is the answer right now.And guess what?-if we really did manage to bag a manager that does take us further forward than LJ then he'd leave for a bigger club along with our best player(s).

I'd stick with things as they are and hope that the players coming through give us the edge to progress to where progression is- the Prem. So long as we don't drop further down the League then we're still doing as well as we have done in 40 years bar one season.

Archived