IGNORED

Managerial Attributes

numbeast

With a large portion of the forum leaning towards a management change I am interested to know what we should look for in a manager/head coach. Do we need a wealth of experience at this level or the fresh thinking of a young manager? Should the new man be a wheeler dealer or one committed to bringing through youth players

List the attributes you think needed and  maybe add a name that we could, realistically approach. Looking forward þo reading your views.

There aren’t many who perform everywhere they go. Much less people who would come here. 

Sometimes a manager and a club need to be ‘a good fit’. Most of the time that’s luck, but LJ isn’t the right fit. He’s just complete shite at the moment. 

So genuinely, I’d take nearly anyone. If you want me to choose, I’d take Nigel Clough. On the cheaper side. Has punched well above his station on a massively limited budget (which by the way we don’t have). I think he’d be worth a shot. 

Clough isn't a bad shout. What I really want to know is what ethos do we want from a new manager and what type of personality.  We've had the thinking type with SOD, the cheeky chappy with Cots and the young progressive type in LJ.

I genuinely hope Johnson can turn things around and I'm not screaming for his head. I do, however, realise things need to improve. Football is about 2 things to most fans, winning and entertaining but at the moment we are struggling to do either.

30 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There aren’t many who perform everywhere they go. Much less people who would come here. 

Sometimes a manager and a club need to be ‘a good fit’. Most of the time that’s luck, but LJ isn’t the right fit. He’s just complete shite at the moment. 

So genuinely, I’d take nearly anyone. If you want me to choose, I’d take Nigel Clough. On the cheaper side. Has punched well above his station on a massively limited budget (which by the way we don’t have). I think he’d be worth a shot. 

Kenny Jackett is pretty consistent (Rotherham being the only, if short-lived, blip).

Good question. What that will divide opinion!

I'd rather we were successful with who we've got (sacking and hiring is an expensive business!!) but as a starter for 10 I'd go for:

• Someone that is used to working with, improving and motivating young footballers (given our sign em young philosophy and the current make up of our squad).
  • Someone that is used to working with players they are given, rather than ones they've chosen (whoever came in would have to work with what we've got, likely to be limited funds in Jan).
  • Someone that wants to get the ball down and play. Tough when you haven't got the best of the best but doable if the manager/coaching is good enough.
  • Can speak English well (anticipating a foreign appointment).
  • Has decent footballing contacts. I don't mean a Harry Redknapp wheeler dealer, I mean a more David Wagner esq contacts - someone who has worked at a lower/youth level and knows who the good players are at that level, knows the ones that could step up.
  • Wouldn't be adverse to a foreign manager, linked to the above point Wagner took a couple of lower league German players to Huddersfield in this mould.

On a lightly related note, we've heard in the past the club has a list of X names to fit each position that we target in preference order and that we do Due Diligence on these players. Do you think the Board do this for managers.

Whatever attributes OTIB thinks a manager should have and whatever alternative manager OTIB says we need, there is a very good chance that OTIB will decide that they are the wrong ones the minute we subsequently go on a bad run. :)

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This type of thread are soooo dreary..............:sleeping:

Such an enlightening view point, I so look forward to your sagasious comments. I was aiming this question to those of us who are less informed and are obviously of considerably lower intellect than your good self. If you wish to PM me with a list of topics YOU wish to discuss I will try to find the time to oblige  (but nothing about the gas and Wembley if you'd be so kind ) please dont feel it compulsory to add anything more to the topic you  find so dreary  as I'd hate to inconvenience you.  

Until next time Robbo live long and prosper.????

2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

My agenda is very clear, get this chancer out, it might be happening sooner than we think.

So you’re yet another one who doesn’t understand when SL has said that LJ is here long term...........:dunno:

Whinging about on here is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You’re a grown man aren’t you? Yet you take so much delight in trolling on here. It’s pretty pathetic if we’re being honest. 

Calling me ‘an idiot’ is about as amateur as you can get - straight out of the play ground and I’m assuming you’re a grown man as well? 

Maybe not.......

Archived