IGNORED

Maggers

RedRock

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think there's an interesting correlation with LJ.

Seems if the player is from an equivalent or higher level, or is a more experienced pro, they either don't flourish under him, or they start well but then decline.

Some (Tomlin and probably Matthews) had a poor attitude or were no good (Giefer and Diony) but overall it does seem he's better with players on the up for whatever reason.

Like father like son!

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think there's an interesting correlation with LJ.

Seems if the player is from an equivalent or higher level, or is a more experienced pro, they either don't flourish under him, or they start well but then decline.

Some (Tomlin and probably Matthews) had a poor attitude or were no good (Giefer and Diony) but overall it does seem he's better with players on the up for whatever reason.

Where would you place Engval and Moore  and what players on the up would you say he has improved (ok Reed is a given )

3 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Reid yes Joe Bryan was already a first team player long before Johnson arrived 

I’d say Bryan’s game improved under Johnson though, he still had poor defending moments, but attaking wise he was good last year or two.

5 minutes ago, grifty said:

I’d say Bryan’s game improved under Johnson though, he still had poor defending moments, but attaking wise he was good last year or two.

I think he just improved with his age.  Nothing like the jump in Bobby Reid's level when he was pushed further forward in the team and trusted by the manager.

• Admin
11 hours ago, dave36 said:

Nah he’s no f*****g good! our coaching staff know their stuff, he will never be good enough for European cup games! - what a criminal waste of talent - one thing for sure! No matter how many windows it won’t be us making the headlines under this leadership!

how many other players not suiting our DNA succeed after leaving as ”underperformers”

Kind of agree, but if he was "that" good surely he would have stood out in more games?

How many MOTM performances can you remember from him?

17 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Has everyone forgotten his calamities so quickly?

Remember Wolves last season (I think) where he once again failed to see it out and we conceded.

Great for long throws not Championship defending!

I thought that the fault at the end of the Wolves game was Pack show boating just outside our penalty area rather than clearing the ball?

18 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Has everyone forgotten his calamities so quickly?

Remember Wolves last season (I think) where he once again failed to see it out and we conceded.

Great for long throws not Championship defending!

Odd because the most compact and cohesive we looked over a period- and while it was by no means all down to him, he certainly played a role- was when we had the 4-4-1-1 with the right side being Wright and Brownhill and the left side Magnússon and Bryan.

I'll grant you he had a mistake in him and he certainly made a few- and a more compact, counterattacking game suits him tactically, more than LJ likes to play.

It comes to something though about our standards when a fairly regular international and more importantly playing in CL isn't good enough for us! Must make us fairly unique eh, in midtable Championship terms!

Usually players signed to be part of a CL side- well if it's in reverse good times but not here it seems! :laughcont:

A leftfield perspective/question is perhaps:

How many of our other players did/would CSKA bid for?

On 13/12/2018 at 08:53, Loon plage said:

Where would you place Engval and Moore  and what players on the up would you say he has improved (ok Reed is a given )

Good point.

Engvall, was just a poor signing- happens- unfortunately was quite expensive at that! Did he get a proper chance here- probably not, but then again he probably didn't show enough to merit one.

Moore- Has he been well managed? Not sure he has- coming through an academy like Lens which is quite good historically plus England U19, loaning him to a club at least for one of the years more in line with his style of play he grew up with may have been an idea, a Bundesliga 2 club for one of the seasons (if one would take him) perhaps- somewhere between European and UK style that one. Southend, Bury? Not so sure. It's not too late for him to make it, but I have to 

Overall though, Brownhill, Kelly, before injury looked like O'Dowda as he was in great form. Should be playing more often though, Eliasson looks like he is on the up. Could even argue in some respects Tammy- only played 2 games and had he gone to the wrong club, talent in the making or not, he could easily have stalled if handled wrong- happens with young talented players all the time in football. He was 18 when he joined us, 2 sub appearances only at the back end of the year they finished- he should go onto bigger things but at that stage handled wrong, he may not have made the impact he did here.,

My wider argument though is that with experienced or players from an equivalent level, there have been no discernible improvements- quite the reverse if anything. So overall, I'd say he's better with players on the up rather than more established players- by dint of the fact he has little track record to speak of with the latter!

Some of these will be debatable but anyway off the top of my head:

• Baker- Started great first 4, 5 months of last season. Yet, quite the drop off- why?
  • Magnússon- Started alright in 2016. Steadily declined- chopping and changing his position between LB and CB well that's a strength and a weakness I guess. Less forgivable digging him out at Preston away in the 5-0 plus dropping him after he was in a Championship team of week 0-0 v Burton in March 2017- well the man-management was questionable at best IMO. Could be argued he was somewhere between good level and on the up, because Juventus academy set against his age. One I don't think  we saw the best of in any case- whether it's the fault of LJ or not.
  • O'Neil- Started well for sure. Played his part in the relegation run-in- injuries did not help but it's fair to say he declined from a good start. Doubt we saw the best of him, though his age has to be factored in too.
  • Hegeler- Contentious but I think he started well here, lengthy injuries and playing multiple positions can't have helped- whether the fault of LJ or not, think he is another we didn't see the best of.
  • Djuric- International for a decent European side Bosnia and more importantly reasonable track record in Italy. Not too old as past it, but not too young either- lengthy injuries played a part, but don't think we saw the best of him. Just knocking balls long to him? Smacked of lazy tactics, he has I think a bit more technical ability than just treating him as a beanpole but it's a historically (though currently less so) common trend in the English game- 'big striker- HOOOF'.

Could be argued Kalas has not been the same post injury, and though he's only 25 it is his 5th Championship season so he has some pedigree at this level- 2 promotions and a playoff in the last 3 speaks for itself- he certainly hasn't hit the levels he hit v Sheffield United and Swansea since though.

The other interesting thing though- the 3 oldest/most experienced (O'Neil, Hegeler and Djuric) have all had lengthy spells injured. Are older players not suited to how LJ sends us out, or his training maybe? Poor due diligence maybe on the signings front, it's a worrying trend- perhaps they're (goes for the team but will impact the older players more) asked to do too much, to cover too much ground in the formation- nobody can deny the number of medium to long term injuries last 2 seasons and while it maybe down to luck, it also indicates a likely problem I think.

Talking of ex City players there’s been a crazy amount of goals by them in the 3pms today:

- Tammy

- Kodjia

- Bobby

- Woodrow

- George Saville

- Adam Matthews

- El-Abd

- Akinde

- Jon Stead

- Sam Baldock

- Simon Cox

I make that 11. Wonder what the record is!

Going back to the OP. It's one thing signing a promising looking player, that's the easy bit. The hardest thing is the coaching that enables them to fit in and then develop as a player.

We just don't have the coaching expertise at our Club. (Check out the Joe Bryan interview on the site)

In fact we de-skill many players who come to us.

The essence of this is having a Manager of sufficient profile to attract the very highest quality coaches. Nuff said SL

1 hour ago, Dunc said:

Talking of ex City players there’s been a crazy amount of goals by them in the 3pms today:

- Tammy

- Kodjia

- Bobby

- Woodrow

- George Saville

- Adam Matthews

- El-Abd

- Akinde

- Jon Stead

- Sam Baldock

- Simon Cox

I make that 11. Wonder what the record is!

13 if you count former Academy products/players out on loan.

Herbie Kane

Johnny Smith

Archived