IGNORED

Sunderland Netflix Documentary (Merged)

Bailey is Right

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Excuse my ignorance

Im falling behind in the modern world, I don’t use Netflix , or rather never have

Can somebody educate me

Would I need to subscribe to it for a period to watch this documentary series  ?

or can I pay for them individually ?

It is subscription only. You get a free months trial when signing up, and can cancel anytime though.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Excuse my ignorance

Im falling behind in the modern world, I don’t use Netflix , or rather never have

Can somebody educate me

Would I need to subscribe to it for a period to watch this documentary series  ?

or can I pay for them individually ?

As redsince1994 said, just get the free trial and cancel it before the 30 days is up, I think with Netflix you can cancel instantly & still keep the service for the remainder of the trial. Not certain though. 

I'd recommend The Punisher for a series you could probably get done in 30 days if you have a bit of spare time after the Sunderland doc!

11 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

It is subscription only. You get a free months trial when signing up, and can cancel anytime though.

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

As redsince1994 said, just get the free trial and cancel it before the 30 days is up, I think with Netflix you can cancel instantly & still keep the service for the remainder of the trial. Not certain though. 

I'd recommend The Punisher for a series you could probably get done in 30 days if you have a bit of spare time after the Sunderland doc!

Ta gents

A great watch.

Saw things that you don't tend to think about that go on behind the scenes at a football club. Wound me up with that fan goading Chris Coleman at the end. Don't feel that CC is a great manager by any stretch.. Neil Warnock aside, I don't know if there'd have been anyone to keep the club in the division given the year they had leading up to it.

21 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

A great watch.

Saw things that you don't tend to think about that go on behind the scenes at a football club. Wound me up with that fan goading Chris Coleman at the end. Don't feel that CC is a great manager by any stretch.. Neil Warnock aside, I don't know if there'd have been anyone to keep the club in the division given the year they had leading up to it.

I was only just saying to a colleague that it was someone like Warnock that they needed. Coleman is fine but needs the luxury of safety to bring out his best football.  As McGeady says, they needed a bollocking and Coleman isn't like that.

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I was only just saying to a colleague that it was someone like Warnock that they needed. Coleman is fine but needs the luxury of safety to bring out his best football.  As McGeady says, they needed a bollocking and Coleman isn't like that.

I think you mean he needs Gareth Bale.

He is an atrocious manager, as his record suggests.

4 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

To put into perspective how shit Chris Coleman is, Lee Johnson has a 38.4% win ratio here and people want him gone. Chris Coleman has only achieved greater than that ONCE. At a club he only managed for 12 games.

Honestly, I think you're being harsh. Atrocious is a strong word. Coleman's overall win ratio across 424 matches is 32.8%, lets call it a round 33%. Apply that across a championship season and you get 15 or 16 wins - 45 -48 points. Add in ten draws (which is conservative given his draw ratio is 28%) and you get something like W16 D10 L20 which nets you 58 points. Not great I'll grant you, but enough for a lower mid-table finish.  It is nothing to write home about, but it doesn't qualify as atrocious or shit.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on...we just tend to shrug and say oh well....when watching those 8 episodes I wished our fans had their passion....it was a great documentary....

I sort of know what you mean, but the documentary was as stage managed to make Sunderland fans look passionate, as the Man City one was stage managed for the club. 

I don't remember a single noise out of them when we won 2-1 up there, and most of the match both teams were level. Flat as a pancake, none of the shouting and swearing.

In fact in the documentary I think they use the clip of a bloke swearing in the Brentford away end in about three separate episodes. They wanted any anger they could show.

As big support as they have, I don't buy the storyline about poor fans - why are they so entitled, they've been in the Prem for years and seemed delusional about their status.

The owner not spending money on players was turned into some sort of sacrilege towards the end of the series - complete with tearful fans talking as if they were finished. 

This from the same club that had spent over £10m on at least ten players in the prior decade, including Darren Bent, Jack Rodwell and Adam "she was only fifteen" Johnson.

It was entertaining and mildly interesting, but the fans as martyrs thing was totally overblown, and stirred up for a storyline. Ironic as I'm sure the plan was a success story.

Also, at a bet they started out with dressing room footage but Sunderland called time on that when form slumped, and the producers decided not to use due to consistency.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t there a documentary on Sunderland when Peter Reid was manager....didn’t they get relegated that season too?

If anyone suggests to Sunderland about doing another, I would think twice....a lethal combination ?

"Premier Passions" was it's name. Careful when googling that.

Regardless of views on there fans, the Sunderland documentary is excellent - far better than the Man City one IMO.

Showed how out of his death Grayson was really well. Quite frankly, also showed how a mismanaged, badly run club can disintegrate fast. The owner bailed out fast!

Although they have already presold 40,000+ tickets for the Boxing Day game v Bradford!!! 

Having worked in the North East for a while, it is an absolute hotbed for football.

15 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Just started episode 2

Find the crowd shots very odd. From a hot sunny day, all of a sudden the crowd are all wearing coats and obviously watching a completely different game

All seems a little odd

Like I said above. Edited to within an inch of its life to spread a few angry fans out across a whole lifeless season. It's worth a watch but the attempt to turn a promotion run (plan) into a passionate fans facing adversity (revised storyline) is transparent and obvious.

11 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Just started episode 2

Find the crowd shots very odd. From a hot sunny day, all of a sudden the crowd are all wearing coats and obviously watching a completely different game

All seems a little odd

Yeah, they spliced together all the different games at times.

The Brentford away game was ridiculous. Every shot they showed of Grayson on the touchline, he was obviously watching the game at Hull. You could even see all the fans in the background wearing Hull's colours and KCOM was plastered everywhere ?

1 hour ago, El Hombrecito said:

Yeah, they spliced together all the different games at times.

The Brentford away game was ridiculous. Every shot they showed of Grayson on the touchline, he was obviously watching the game at Hull. You could even see all the fans in the background wearing Hull's colours and KCOM was plastered everywhere ?

Watched to end of episode 2, I love the shots of the game from a different angle, but the mixed up crowd / Grayson shots are really starting to piss me off. First world problems and all that

A few saying that it shows Grayson out of his depth, but what about Bain. He looks like a dead man walking from the start. Going in to do Short's dirty work

On 20/12/2018 at 14:56, Olé said:

I sort of know what you mean, but the documentary was as stage managed to make Sunderland fans look passionate, as the Man City one was stage managed for the club. 

As big support as they have, I don't buy the storyline about poor fans - why are they so entitled, they've been in the Prem for years and seemed delusional about their status.

The owner not spending money on players was turned into some sort of sacrilege towards the end of the series - complete with tearful fans talking as if they were finished. 

It was entertaining and mildly interesting, but the fans as martyrs thing was totally overblown, and stirred up for a storyline. Ironic as I'm sure the plan was a success story.

Also, at a bet they started out with dressing room footage but Sunderland called time on that when form slumped, and the producers decided not to use due to consistency.

That is true of almost any documentary.  So many are edited to tell the story the makers want to show rather than tell the truth and let you make your own mind up.

We know football and can see the flaws and story telling but if we were watching a documentary about something we had little knowledge about we would have to take it at face value rather than see the story line.

I enjoyed the series despite this (apart from us throwing away a 3 goal lead ?)

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Just shows all clubs are the same.  

Passionate fans and deals being done in a way that would never happen in normal business.   Certainly seems a strange world and a lot more ‘amateur’ than you’d expect with the money involved.

Football Clubs are run amateurishly when you compare like for like in the business world.

There is still a 'loooking out for your mates ' mentality at many Clubs.

There are many people outside the football bubble that are far more qualified to do the job in hand and better at it.

To a degree it is starting to see that... especially with analytics and the stats side of things.

Trouble is...football clubs tend to pay way below the going rate at many levels. Peanuts by comparison...unless you are at the higher echelons.

Scouts in particular...unless head scout, often spend hours working for expenses only. 

Analysts and coaches poorly paid when compared to other businesses of equal level.

No wonder clever people become Agents...easy to manipulate by many degrees.

This Club is going in the right direction though.

This is of the best for sure.  Got Netflix for it and not disappointed. Certainly as good as All or Nothing on prime, if not better, and perhaps more down to Earth.  

Rodwell on 70k a week and crippling them, and he won’t leave.  (Interesting I googled him and now at Blackburn?)  guess i am halfway thro it ?

Archived