IGNORED

Sunderland Netflix Documentary (Merged)

Bailey is Right

Really enjoyed it but obviously heavily edited. You could tell the crowd and staff reactions were there for story continuity but didn't fit the timelime. Liked how local the club setup was but as with Man Utd being "rock bottom" sixth in the Premier League I found the whole "back in the Premier League where we belong" and "we're too big" a bit cringey. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Football Clubs are run amateurishly when you compare like for like in the business world.

There is still a 'loooking out for your mates ' mentality at many Clubs.

There are many people outside the football bubble that are far more qualified to do the job in hand and better at it.

To a degree it is starting to see that... especially with analytics and the stats side of things.

Trouble is...football clubs tend to pay way below the going rate at many levels. Peanuts by comparison...unless you are at the higher echelons.

Scouts in particular...unless head scout, often spend hours working for expenses only. 

Analysts and coaches poorly paid when compared to other businesses of equal level.

No wonder clever people become Agents...easy to manipulate by many degrees.

This Club is going in the right direction though.

Agree with all all you say on the business side of the game.

A boss of mine worked in the 2000's for a mid ranking PL London club. Directors had nice cars. Players had pretty good cars.

Who had the nicest, the flashest? Why- the agents!

20 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

That is true of almost any documentary.  So many are edited to tell the story the makers want to show rather than tell the truth and let you make your own mind up.

Agree - the most famous football doc for me was that Leyton Orient one in the 90s because it really was warts and all, and at a time a club were at a point of extinction and the pressure in the dressing room was insane - doubt they ever make a doc like that again because the lower leagues are further than ever from being relevant.

But to your point, the Orient manager at the time, who is now a cabbie, wrote his autobiography recently because he said the documentary misrepresented what he was doing. It's a fascinating read if a little annoyed with what the programme did to him, but who can blame him, by sacking a player at half time it became the focus of the programme and he never got a job after.

Just now, Olé said:

Agree - the most famous football doc for me was that Leyton Orient one in the 90s because it really was warts and all, and at a time a club were at a point of extinction and the pressure in the dressing room was insane - doubt they ever make a doc like that again because the lower leagues are further than ever from being relevant.

But to your point, the Orient manager at the time, who is now a cabbie, wrote his autobiography recently because he said the documentary misrepresented what he was doing. It's a fascinating read if a little annoyed with what the programme did to him, but who can blame him, by sacking a player at half time it became the focus of the programme and he never got a job after.

....and you can bring yer dinner!

The best one which anticipated triumph but which turned to disaster one surely, pretty unvarnished.

Well a few select quotes.

Sure you can guess...

"Linesman. LINESMAN!!"

"What sort of thing is happening here??"

"Referee REFEREE!"

"Tell your mate he's just got me the sack!"

Plus of course, the best (or most overplayed):

"Do I not like that!"

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The best one which anticipated triumph but which turned to disaster one surely, pretty unvarnished.

Well a few select quotes.

Sure you can guess...

"Linesman. LINESMAN!!"

"What sort of thing is happening here??"

"Referee REFEREE!"

"Tell your mate he's just got me the sack!"

Plus of course, the best (or most overplayed):

"Do I not like that!"

`I ******* hate orange`

I don`t think many watching thought Graham Taylor was anything like he was in that! The definition of warts and all.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:30, GasDestroyer said:

Regardless of views on there fans, the Sunderland documentary is excellent - far better than the Man City one IMO.

Showed how out of his death Grayson was really well. Quite frankly, also showed how a mismanaged, badly run club can disintegrate fast. The owner bailed out fast!

Although they have already presold 40,000+ tickets for the Boxing Day game v Bradford!!! 

Having worked in the North East for a while, it is an absolute hotbed for football.

I would hope that all on here are as well.

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with all all you say on the business side of the game.

A boss of mine worked in the 2000's for a mid ranking PL London club. Directors had nice cars. Players had pretty good cars.

Who had the nicest, the flashest? Why- the agents!

One of the agents I know, has a car dealership give him cars to use for free. The biggest, flashiest and most expensive. Purely for him to be a driving advert... So footballers see the cars and he then recommends the dealership. To which he also gets a cut on the deal. 

Interesting to read online that the production company are still filming, with even more access (to the club) than before, granted by the new owners, although series Two not actually confirmed yet. Supposedly waiting to see how popular this series is. Loved it personally. 

Not sure if there has already been a topic on here about this, but has anyone watched this programme on Netflix?

An interesting programme that gives a real insight into a club that is rotten to the core, and how it effects the whole set up in and around the club . 

I kind of imagine it must have been what we were like back in the McInnes and then O'Driscoll era....we really did seem to be in free fall at one point 

As for their fans....never let it be said our fans are to harsh. And as for being fickle...I've never seen anything like it...

I’m yet to watch this one, so don’t know too much about it. 

I thought the Man City one on Amazon was good, it’s relatively easy for them to document publicly, knowing how good they are.

I think it’s quite brave and far more interesting for Sunderland to allow coverage, during a period of turmoil and struggle. 

Looking forward to seeing it soon. 

43 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m yet to watch this one, so don’t know too much about it. 

I thought the Man City one on Amazon was good, it’s relatively easy for them to document publicly, knowing how good they are.

I think it’s quite brave and far more interesting for Sunderland to allow coverage, during a period of turmoil and struggle. 

Looking forward to seeing it soon. 

I would thoroughly recommend it, it's much more of a real world view than the Man City version and player profiles / interviews (even though short) are much more revealing about what it's like to play pro football rather than the Amazon airbrushed version.

Finished watching it last night, really good.

I didn't used to like Chris Coleman but changed my mind after watching this. A real football man who was honoured to manage them, understood the fans and genuinely wanted to do well for them.  He clearly felt the weight of the world on his shoulders when it wasn't working out.

Sunderland came over as an extraordinary club, and footballing City, where passionate support from all generations seems ingrained.

I can't help wish Bristol was more like that but we have so many incomers here ( plus a 2nd team) it never could be. In Sunderland it looked like you could stop more or less any passer- by and have a conversation about your club. In Bristol, no chance.

There are many passionate BCFC supporters in Bristol, of course, but Sunderland is a different world - they all support their local team.

The other thing I noticed is how 'passionate' Sunderland fans could be in their ground with apparently no censure - no problem with getting carried away with loud swearing and gestures at the Stadium of Light. I reckon the hotline would be buzzing constantly if we behaved similarly at AG.

A real eye opener on the football world and definitely worth watching.

Archived