IGNORED

Bobby Reid

bcfc01

@BlueDredd and others have pretty much said this already but I think the bottom line is that it is the wrong player for the wrong club, particularly given Reid's transfer fee in relation to Cardiff's overall budget. I don't think Reid is - necessarily - a one season wonder but I think he is a player who will only play well in the right system in the right team. Even for us last season there were games, such as Millwall away, where he was an isolated figure upfront, could not hold up the ball when it came to him and essentially was unable to contribute within the way we were playing.

I think Cardiff don't play a system that gets the best out of him but nor is there a compelling reason why Cardiff would change their system to accommodate a player who has yet to deliver. Realistically, if he can't make it work at Cardiff then he's probably back in the Championship and starting again but I'd have been interested to have seen what would have happened if he'd moved to Bournemouth or Watford or maybe evenBurnley, all of which I reckon could have been a better fit for him as a player. 

Ultimately he and Warnock both made their choices in terms of whether to buy and whether to move but I do wonder if both should have considered both whether Reid was the player Cardiff needed and whether Cardiff was the right move for Reid. I get the desire to stay close to Bristol but maybe moving to a club that doesn't fit your style because the geography works out is not the ideal basis on which to build a successful football career...

52 minutes ago, BlueDredd said:

You're obviously just letting your distaste for my club get in the way of rational thought.

Sunderland, a massive club having to make enormous cuts after relying on premier league money for 12 years is a little bit different than us. A team already prepped for the drop.

We've reaped the rewards of being promoted, spent little money and have an owner that's actually willing to invest to some extent (unlike Ellis Short). We have been sustainable in the Championship, and will be again if we are relegated.

I've always ranked your opinion a little higher than some on this forum.. But with the clear snappy comments (that I don't think you even really believe) looks to me like I've touched a nerve. Quite enjoyable I must say.

to some your avatar could be taken as taking the p^^s yourself.Just saying.

Bob was never really a "central midfielder", he was an attacking midfielder at his best in advanced positions. It didn't take a genius to realise that he could just as easily be a tenacious striker.

Unfortunately, we have had many non-genius managers at this club - and much of Reid's career here involved him being told to drop too deep to be effective or play out wide, where he is as much a goal threat as Andi Weimann is currently. 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bob was never really a "central midfielder", he was an attacking midfielder at his best in advanced positions. It didn't take a genius to realise that he could just as easily be a tenacious striker.

Unfortunately, we have had many non-genius managers at this club - and much of Reid's career here involved him being told to drop too deep to be effective or play out wide, where he is as much a goal threat as Andi Weimann is currently. 

Did you notice his finishing ability prior to last season ?

He couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo even in the warm ups. 

If anyone said prior to last season that he would be scoring around 20 goals then that person is a genius in my book.

Always had talent, but sticking the ball in the net was never a part of it.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If anyone said prior to last season that he would be scoring around 20 goals then that person is a genius in my book.

Bit harsh, between March-October 2016 he had a purple patch, then was dropped.

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He was always being pushed into positions where he was ineffective!

I'd consistently called for him to be moved forward.  Busy, tenacious, well-balanced, not easily disposessed for a small guy. It was obviously worth a punt.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

He was always being pushed into positions where he was ineffective!

I'd consistently called for him to be moved forward.  Busy, tenacious, well-balanced, not easily disposessed for a small guy. It was obviously worth a punt.

Genius.

I think we did exceptionally well to get 10 million for a player who I still believe was a bit of a one season wonder. Got to give plenty of credit to LJ for that... 

I can actually see cardiff staying up this season, they have a squad that really should be getting thrashed weekly but the standard of the premiership, bar the top 5, is so poor that I think they might stay up. Warnock is able to grind out results, and they've done that in recent weeks, picking up points against teams around them. 

Unfortunately I can't see Bobby getting many goals this season, he's on 3(?) so far and I can't see that changing much 

Painful to see so many City fans still cannot see a good player when slapped in the face.

Reid always showed great qualities as a CM/AM, such as arriving in the box at the right time. He had a few high profile misses including against Cardiff where Bamba just got ahead of him but his goal-scoring record when played was good.

Then last season he was the main reason for our fantastic 6 months, the goalscoring, the runs, the linking play. He was ideal for our style, less so for Colin's.

That his ability is still up for debate on here is farcical especially as those looking to play him down generally seem to be those that look to play up Flint. https://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5799719

32 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Painful to see so many City fans still cannot see a good player when slapped in the face.

Reid always showed great qualities as a CM/AM, such as arriving in the box at the right time. He had a few high profile misses including against Cardiff where Bamba just got ahead of him but his goal-scoring record when played was good.

Then last season he was the main reason for our fantastic 6 months, the goalscoring, the runs, the linking play. He was ideal for our style, less so for Colin's.

That his ability is still up for debate on here is farcical especially as those looking to play him down generally seem to be those that look to play up Flint. https://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=5799719

Not sure if this was aimed at me. I hope not because I have not intentionally slated Reid. I said £10m was a great bit of business and pointed out that the three players we sold were first-team players in the side which did so badly after Xmas. 

I think that we miss Flint on occasions - more up front than in defence to be fair. If he isn’t playing well for Boro then perhaps we had the best of him up to January 2017?

38 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Not sure why you're comparing opinions on Flint and Reid, but as you are let's not forget Aden scored a lot more goals for City than Bobby did.

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Blimey that bunch of Boro fans really haven't taken to Flinty, have they?!!

At this rate, we could probably buy back all three of our summer '18 sales and still get change out of £3M.

And I always thought Bristol City could ruin a player's career....

5 hours ago, BlueDredd said:

You're obviously just letting your distaste for my club get in the way of rational thought.

It's coming off his medication that does that BD! :)

32 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Blimey that bunch of Boro fans really haven't taken to Flinty, have they?!!

At this rate, we could probably buy back all three of our summer '18 sales and still get change out of £3M.

And I always thought Bristol City could ruin a player's career....

I wonder whether Flintys heart is not really in it? 

I said when he left I could see him following in the footsteps of Carey and Murray. Home is where the heart is and all that. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure why you're comparing opinions on Flint and Reid, but as you are let's not forget Aden scored a lot more goals for City than Bobby did.

Reid last season against Fulham (A). Joy to watch, it's why you pay to see a game. He was so good, especially before Christmas. His engine was unreal, his runs and positioning were incredibly effective, passing sharp and on point. We miss him badly.

Archived