IGNORED

Bobby Reid

bcfc01

Wrote it on the wrong Reid thread but anyway.

Article seems fairly harsh tbh. No he hasn't been brilliant but at the same time, Warnock's style doesn't help but even that notwithstanding, he has not had a proper run of games in his correct position.

2 goals and 2 assists is it isn't brilliant but more understandable in that context. The pass completion and chance creation stat is fairly damming but again, context.

FWIW, I think he would have fitted in nicely at Bournemouth or Wolves. Fulham stylistically yes but would he start ahead of Mitrovic?

Even Everton under Silva, for certain games his style and theirs could complement each other very well- could fit into a more technical game v the lower and some middling sides and for the big games especially away from home v top 6, his intense workrate and technical ability would help relieve pressure, give a bit of an outlet.

Even at Cardiff, think with different tactics and a proper run he would have opportunities to do more- got a number of technically sound players (not a huge number but a few all the same).

2 hours ago, phantom said:

To be fair to him it was the dream / easy move for him

On the back of his best ever season, offered a massive pay rise, the chance to play in the Premier League, didn't have to move home

It was a no brainer he would take the opportunity, in footballing terms who knows where his season would have gone had he stayed with us?

He could have been banging them in like last season, or he could have disappeared as quickly as he rose to the top of his game

Absolutely, don’t begrudge him taking the move at all, complete no brainer financially and probably made his life a lot easier in terms of location. Just don’t think it was a great move for him purely in footballing terms but all hypothetical.

He could have stayed in the championship and struggled to score 5, you just don’t know. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

I certainly can defend them. Quite easily. 

Stats alone are a waste of time and, as I said, are used by people desperate to have an opinion without watching enough games to form them 

Well clearly you don't want to see the FACTS for what they show and even though it was FACTUALLY pointed out, for some reason you are unable to debate this.

As I'm guessing you haven't seen him play this season, by your own guidelines you don't know that the article is incorrect

Admit it, did you shed a tear when Bobby moved to the Bluebirds?

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Considering they bought him to score goals and for the money they paid he has scored two tap ins I would say he clearly has been poor 

You know as well as I do he has been getting minutes, you can't defend a stat like that

7 starts in Prem (6 subbed in / 4 subbed out / 4 left on bench)

2 goals

1 assist (1 in Cup also)

661 minutes

In a struggling side, who’ve only scored 17 goals  and often parked the bus,

Its not great but it’s not awful either.

If you were to extrapolate it, it’s 10 goals and 5 assists over a 38 game season?????

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I would say when Warnock is their manager (he's ailed more than he's succeeded in league football, and usually at a lower level) and with a club that has scored an average of one goal a game it is more Warnock than Bobby who has failed (again)

We have sure missed him and his link up, pass ratio, assists and 20 goals would have made a huge difference. I could see Bobby and Famara being the leading strike-force this season if we'd been able to keep him. I still wish him well as with our J.Bryan at Fulham. Whatever happens to them our academy, coaching staff can take a bow for fantastic development of two mates from our club

Ok i’ll bite! How can a manager who has averaged one promotion every four seasons, during a managerial career that has lasted over 30 years, be said to have “ailed more than he has succeeded in league football”???! And then you say he has “failed again” although it’s still mid December?! 

That’s eight promotions in 31 years of management.....not much ‘ailing’ there....

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Looks like we did some smart business; we'd have let him go for £500k as a lightweight central midfielder at the start of last season.  LJ relocates him, he scores a hatful, we sell for £10m.

Cracking deal for us; not so great for Bobby.

Cracking deal for both i'd say, he must have doubled his pay at least, and has now played in the Premier League, something he would never have done with us, or anyone else had he not been moved up the pitch.

Fair play to him.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's a fairly uncompromising, even brutal article, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

If you go to a PL club for big money - fee and wages - the expectation is you'll make some sort of impact, and he's clearly been a big disappointment in that respect.

As City fans we of all people should know what a gamble Cardiff were taking. We've watched on as BR struggled to make an impact in the City team in midfield for 5/6 seasons, even after being made the last man in a three by LJ to reduce his midfield duties and give him the best chance to shine and score goals. Such was his horrific finishing that tactic was eventually shelved, BR was dropped, and LJ has admitted that but for the unlikely recommendation from the backroom analysts to give him a try up front he was destined to be released.

So he wasn't consistently good enough in midfield for us, had one incredible golden season up front which led directly to a dream PL move - money wise at least - and he's failed so far to come anywhere near justifying his fee.

I can't see the problem with the author stating what he has, it's all factually correct, and was always the very likely outcome.

Bobby's wages mean it is unlikely he will ever return to City, and a loan move, with a much more natural goalscorer in Eisa awaiting his chance, would be a backward move for BCFC, with no guarantee that BR could come even close to repeating his feats of last season.

I never heard that before, backroom analysts idea and not LJ's ?

22 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I never heard that before, backroom analysts idea and not LJ's ?

I have, but I’m a bit sceptical about it. Why?

I just wonder what attributes the analysts could have produced that would’ve made Bobby appear to be a mis-positioned player likely to get 19 goals in a season. 

If you said they produced a set of stats to say he would make a great partner to Diedhiou as his willing runner / space creator and used to trigger our press when we don’t have the ball, I could believe that. 

I just think LJ remembered Bobby played as a striker in youth games (when LJ was helping to coach them) and on a hunch with inuries to Taylor and Djuric in pre-season, wondered if he could temporarily transform him. 

He might have asked for some stats to help justify, but no stats would predicate 19 goals last season. 

It does make a good story. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He just doesn’t suit that team at all IMO and other than financial it wasn’t a good move for him. He’d have been better off going to a top end championship club, he’d be scoring 20+ and probably on as good money as at Cardiff  

He can barely even get on the pitch under NW so can’t see it ending in anything but failure there tbh. 

Dont hold anything against him, but I do think he was premature in jumping at the first club that came in for him. 

Parking the bank balance, has his move done his career any good? He’ll be lucky to get 5 goals a season featuring as he does.

If you are on the wages he is on now, I doubt you would really care about only scoring 5 goals a season. 

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Looks like we did some smart business; we'd have let him go for £500k as a lightweight central midfielder at the start of last season.  LJ relocates him, he scores a hatful, we sell for £10m.

Cracking deal for us; not so great for Bobby.

Yep quality from Lee. He was destined to fail , especially there, as is Joe at Fulham I fear, all at sea as a defender.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bobby does look very lightweight in the prem. It's a bit like Dwight Gayle I guess. That lack of physicality not a problem in the lower level of the championship but struggles when stepping up. I don't think it was the best move as Cardiff don't really play good football, although financially it was a great move for him. I think Bournemouth would have been a better move but I they probably weren't interested.

Perhaps he " looks " lightweight but he just isn't.

He is no pushover and doesn't need to be over physical himself as his game is built on movement and not agression like a Wilbs type , for example.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Well clearly you don't want to see the FACTS for what they show and even though it was FACTUALLY pointed out, for some reason you are unable to debate this.

As I'm guessing you haven't seen him play this season, by your own guidelines you don't know that the article is incorrect

Admit it, did you shed a tear when Bobby moved to the Bluebirds?

I honestly don’t know what you mean. Where are the facts? Stats with no context are hardly facts. If you think that stats like this prove if a player is good or bad then you are a bit naive. I have watched most of his minutes this season

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely, don’t begrudge him taking the move at all, complete no brainer financially and probably made his life a lot easier in terms of location. Just don’t think it was a great move for him purely in footballing terms but all hypothetical.

He could have stayed in the championship and struggled to score 5, you just don’t know. 

I can only think he wanted to stay in Bristol and not have to move.

Plus we don't know what Warnock promised him or how he said he would play him.

If I was Bobby Reid...thinking purely football...I'd be thinking how I would fit into a Warnock type side.

Bournemouth, West Brom and Derby all wanted him...he would have been better suited playing for any of them. And would have been on good money with them.

As for moving from Midfield to Striker...it was spoken about by Dave Horseman.

Reid came back from his loan spell at Plymouth stronger and with more of an engine, as he had been working on getting fitter and stronger after initially struggling there.

He worked with Rayan Wilson a physical Consultant, on getting physically stronger and fitter.

He impressed when back and it went from there.

4 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

To get the best out of Bobby, Warnock needs a quality creative attacking midfield player working just behind him.  A player who will create chances for Bobby but also chip in with a few himself to take the pressure off when Bobby has a lean goal scoring spell .  Now where is Lee Tomlin these days?!?

back with the posh...…..

He was never going to do well in a Warnock team, but the move ticked a few boxes for him. Premiership. Local. Big improvement in wages/contract. You can’t blame him for jumping, especially when we fell apart and a few teammates were looking a moves away. Maybe he hoped/hopes Warnock won’t last long and another Manager will come in with more style, if they don’t get relegated first.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

He was never going to do well in a Warnock team, but the move ticked a few boxes for him. Premiership. Local. Big improvement in wages/contract. You can’t blame him for jumping, especially when we fell apart and a few teammates were looking a moves away. Maybe he hoped/hopes Warnock won’t last long and another Manager will come in with more style, if they don’t get relegated first.

(Was going to delete this as I thought initially you were on about and being gentle on Tomlin ! :laughcont: I’ll leave it anyway .......)

Not sure he thinks that deeply M

or in fact , at all

Move ?

Money ?

..........great.....can I ask about a nanny...

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's a fairly uncompromising, even brutal article, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

If you go to a PL club for big money - fee and wages - the expectation is you'll make some sort of impact, and he's clearly been a big disappointment in that respect.

As City fans we of all people should know what a gamble Cardiff were taking. We've watched on as BR struggled to make an impact in the City team in midfield for 5/6 seasons, even after being made the last man in a three by LJ to reduce his midfield duties and give him the best chance to shine and score goals. Such was his horrific finishing that tactic was eventually shelved, BR was dropped, and LJ has admitted that but for the unlikely recommendation from the backroom analysts to give him a try up front he was destined to be released.

So he wasn't consistently good enough in midfield for us, had one incredible golden season up front which led directly to a dream PL move - money wise at least - and he's failed so far to come anywhere near justifying his fee.

I can't see the problem with the author stating what he has, it's all factually correct, and was always the very likely outcome.

Bobby's wages mean it is unlikely he will ever return to City, and a loan move, with a much more natural goalscorer in Eisa awaiting his chance, would be a backward move for BCFC, with no guarantee that BR could come even close to repeating his feats of last season.

This is much like the original writer - we can all make assumptions without actually watching the game. A close friend covers Cardiff every week and has been impressed with Bobby. It's not a coincidence they have a problem with strikers, for a start he's not an out-and-out number nine and they play some variation of 4-5-1 most weeks.

If they can get a new man in during January, which they've made very clear they want to, he might be more effect him. Get him in at 10 off someone like Diedhou, and I would expect him to do well.

Cardiff could well end up staying in the Premier League, so that's another second season of football for him there if he stays. Not sure that would be a failure for anyone.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If I was Bobby Reid...thinking purely football...I'd be thinking how I would fit into a Warnock type side.

Bournemouth, West Brom and Derby all wanted him...he would have been better suited playing for any of them. And would have been on good money with them.

Reid came back from his loan spell at Plymouth stronger and with more of an engine, as he had been working on getting fitter and stronger after initially struggling there.

He worked with Rayan Wilson a physical Consultant, on getting physically stronger and fitter.

That’s the key point for me. If even someone like me can see from a mile off that he wouldn’t fit into that team surely BR himself must have had reservations.

Any of those clubs would have been great for him IMO, what a move Bournemouth would have been for him. 

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

I honestly don’t know what you mean. Where are the facts? Stats with no context are hardly facts. If you think that stats like this prove if a player is good or bad then you are a bit naive. I have watched most of his minutes this season

Fully respect your comments, but am more than intrigued how and why a Bristol City supporter would follow Cardiff so closely 

1 minute ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Fully respect your comments, but am more than intrigued how and why a Bristol City supporter would follow Cardiff so closely 

I am a bit sad really. Loved Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid so for their first seasons in Prem I am trying to watch all of their minutes. Partly as I believe they are Prem quality and want to see if I am correct or not! Overall the jury is out on both. Would say both are 6/10 seasons so far but both desperately need a run of games and to be allowed to adapt 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

How many of them offered £10m? Completely agree he would flourish with a Bournemouth, but if the money wasn't there it wasn't a question of either/or.

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Some city fans seem to dislike Reid now and I don’t understand why. He went to a rival granted but that was to secure his and his family’s future

Immature or not, the minute he did that tapping your head shit i thought ‘**** off’ that’s a kick in the nuts and i hope it goes tits up there. 

Archived