IGNORED

Tammy..

BCFC1512

10 hours ago, Xiled said:

Bit of a relief if Tammy moves away from Villa.

When I see their team sheet with Abraham, Kodjia, Bollasie and Adomah in the squad, I'm sure they've only done it to wind us up.  Scumbags.

It's Aston Villa doffing their cap to our recruitment. Surprised they haven't lured our scouts up there.....

Nobody has mentioned Huddersfield yet, who are in dire need of a striker. They've been reasonable enough from the back upto the penatly area but just don't convert. Big money deals haven't been their thing but maybe this one could be the difference between staying up and going down for them. There's plenty of money available up there if they choose to go that way. Not impossible.

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

The investment meant they could pay their bills, it doesn't get them off the FFP hook.

James Collins has reportedly foregone his contract having got injured as soon as he signed but the fact remains that they were prepared to pay a reported £50k a week to a 35 year old.

I suspect they are gambling on the EFL being unwilling to take them on because they are a big club. They may well be right.

A slight correction I think China.

The way I read the article was that Collins had signed a contract for £10,000 power week until January, so the total value of the contract was £50,000. Give Collins his due, he'd just signed the contract and then got injured in training, but immediately tore up the contract as he would not be able to play - how many players would do that these days? 

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Their fans seem cocky about FFP too looking at Twitter.

At first I'd have been happy with them missing promotion, points deduction and struggling for a bit.

Now I kinda hope they're the new Sunderland, the tossers.

Back in the summer I had a nose at their forum when their financial situation as precarious. 

It was "interesting" to read reactions when Xia sold a share in the club to raise capital, as many fans were then saying that they could use the money to reinforce their squad for a promotion push, failing to realise that the capital raised merely enabled them to pay outstanding bills, including HMRC, who had precipitated the crisis in the first place.

At that time one or two fans questioned where they stood with regards to ffp, as there seemed an acceptance that they were already knocking against the upper limits of losses over the previous 2 years. It was astounding to see reaction to this with one fan saying that there would be no action taken against a club like Villa, because the prem "needs clubs like Villa"! Others were also convinced that the EFL would not risk penalising a big club like Villa, because they would be worried about Villa fighting the case through the courts.

In fairness, you could tell that some fans were genuinely concerned about their general financial situation and possibly consequences of a ffp breach. However, it was also clear that there are still loads of fans that just do not get the new ffp rules and how punitive they can and will be to clubs that fall foul of them. From this forum there are City fans who don;t fully understandd ffp implications, but I think this is even more the case with "big" clubs like Villa, who have been used to wielding finial clout in the past, and especially recently with their war chest of premier league parachute payments. Fingers crossed their day will soon come!

45 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Back in the summer I had a nose at their forum when their financial situation as precarious. 

It was "interesting" to read reactions when Xia sold a share in the club to raise capital, as many fans were then saying that they could use the money to reinforce their squad for a promotion push, failing to realise that the capital raised merely enabled them to pay outstanding bills, including HMRC, who had precipitated the crisis in the first place.

At that time one or two fans questioned where they stood with regards to ffp, as there seemed an acceptance that they were already knocking against the upper limits of losses over the previous 2 years. It was astounding to see reaction to this with one fan saying that there would be no action taken against a club like Villa, because the prem "needs clubs like Villa"! Others were also convinced that the EFL would not risk penalising a big club like Villa, because they would be worried about Villa fighting the case through the courts.

In fairness, you could tell that some fans were genuinely concerned about their general financial situation and possibly consequences of a ffp breach. However, it was also clear that there are still loads of fans that just do not get the new ffp rules and how punitive they can and will be to clubs that fall foul of them. From this forum there are City fans who don;t fully understandd ffp implications, but I think this is even more the case with "big" clubs like Villa, who have been used to wielding finial clout in the past, and especially recently with their war chest of premier league parachute payments. Fingers crossed their day will soon come!

Agree with yourself and @chinapig Maybe not getting it is in some cases better than calling them arrogant etc but some of course are the latter.

Like you I hope they get their reckoning. FFP is complex though- it is entirely possible to be probably FFP compliant and in financial trouble (see Bolton earlier in the season). Yet perfectly solvent and still have FFP problems (Villa and quite a few other clubs).

Courts is an interesting one...I'I'd turn it on it's head and argue that EFL have to penalise Villa and other big transgressors otherwise clubs who are compliant or have made a big effort to (us, Norwich, Leeds and Boro highly likely, Hull but they're asset stripping, Swansea but again possibly some asset stripping there).

I'd say those clubs ie us and to varying degree others who have made the big sacrifices? Good case against the EFL if they just wave Villa through.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I wonder if we will be in a position to capitalise in all the players that will be sold when the new rules on loanees take place and it becomes less profitable for clubs like Chelsea to have so many players on their books to rent out each season. 

I guess we are not a million miles away with the number of loan players we send out too?

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with yourself and @chinapig Maybe not getting it is in some cases better than calling them arrogant etc but some of course are the latter.

Like you I hope they get their reckoning. FFP is complex though- it is entirely possible to be probably FFP compliant and in financial trouble (see Bolton earlier in the season). Yet perfectly solvent and still have FFP problems (Villa and quite a few other clubs).

Courts is an interesting one...I'I'd turn it on it's head and argue that EFL have to penalise Villa and other big transgressors otherwise clubs who are compliant or have made a big effort to (us, Norwich, Leeds and Boro highly likely, Hull but they're asset stripping, Swansea but again possibly some asset stripping there).

I'd say those clubs ie us and to varying degree others who have made the big sacrifices? Good case against the EFL if they just wave Villa through.

English football has a history of treating "big" clubs more leniently than smaller clubs when penalising them for similar offences. I think there is also still a degree of scepticism about ffp and whether the EFL will follow through and penalise offending clubs, and especially when it comes to applying points penalties. I also wonder whether that scepticism is prevalent with some clubs' management and not just fans?

Accordingly, and to give ffp the chance of working as designed, I think the EFL has no option but to go in hard against any clubs that offend, and especially if it's a big club - even if that club is Bristol City. :(

As for the threat of legal action by any clubs so penalised, I agree with your viewpoint. If an offending club is "let off" then I would hope that the rest of the clubs, that have been trying to operate within ffp limits, would threaten the EFL with legal action for not applying their own rules properly. 

It's bad enough that a number of championship clubs already benefit fro the financial leg up of parachute payments, without also being able to "cheat" by overspending, and it is cheating if one club gains any advantage by not adhering to the same set of rules as all the other clubs in the division.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

English football has a history of treating "big" clubs more leniently than smaller clubs when penalising them for similar offences. I think there is also still a degree of scepticism about ffp and whether the EFL will follow through and penalise offending clubs, and especially when it comes to applying points penalties. I also wonder whether that scepticism is prevalent with some clubs' management and not just fans?

Accordingly, and to give ffp the chance of working as designed, I think the EFL has no option but to go in hard against any clubs that offend, and especially if it's a big club - even if that club is Bristol City. :(

As for the threat of legal action by any clubs so penalised, I agree with your viewpoint. If an offending club is "let off" then I would hope that the rest of the clubs, that have been trying to operate within ffp limits, would threaten the EFL with legal action for not applying their own rules properly. 

It's bad enough that a number of championship clubs already benefit fro the financial leg up of parachute payments, without also being able to "cheat" by overspending, and it is cheating if one club gains any advantage by not adhering to the same set of rules as all the other clubs in the division.

I agree with almost all you write there except parachute payments as the financial gap is so big- think they're a necessary evil unfortunately.

However the proviso I would like to see must be that they are ring fenced for existing unavoidable commitments (eg wages) and those wages must have relegation release clauses also. Not to strengthen for a push back up. Probably can work it better but anyway I think they should be subject to some kind of terms and conditions.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree with almost all you write there except parachute payments as the financial gap is so big- think they're a necessary evil unfortunately.

If you can't get your books in order when you get 100 million for coming last- you don't deserve help imo.

Every club should have releagation clauses in their contracts. If they don't thats their fault. 

It winds me up that clubs can overspend and then claim they had no choice if they wanted to be competative. Burnley and previously wba (i realise they both benefited from parachute payments but they didn’t get 100 million a season at the time) proved that if you sort your books out and go down you can have a good crack at coming back up again with more financial clout to make you more competative and establish yourselves.

21 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

If you can't get your books in order when you get 100 million for coming last- you don't deserve help imo.

Every club should have releagation clauses in their contracts. If they don't thats their fault. 

It winds me up that clubs can overspend and then claim they had no choice if they wanted to be competative. Burnley and previously wba (i realise they both benefited from parachute payments but they didn’t get 100 million a season at the time) proved that if you sort your books out and go down you can have a good crack at coming back up again with more financial clout to make you more competative and establish yourselves.

Many do have relegation wage reduction clauses. Even so though, I think the size of the financial gap is underestimated- it's got so big last 5 years say, that even with relegation wage reduction clauses you'd get teams frequently going into administration.

Cardiff though, they're a side who much as it pains me to say it, look to be doing it the right way financially. Avoiding administration would basically mean having a rich owner and that can't be good for the game. 

Also you'd get sides who go up and are so terrified to strengthen, to give it a bit of a go that they come right back down- also detrimental for the wider good of the game in the sense of competitive balance.

Parachute payments though are a deeply imperfect solution- but most likely improvement is significant modifications.

8 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Off to Old Trafford in January 100%.

In talks with Jose Mourinho as we speak, absolute fact. Certainty.  Saw them having coffee and steak bakes in Manchester Greggs within last hour, honest.

Honest! :fingerscrossed:  

You little scamp !

Archived