IGNORED

Missed Chances in the First Half

REDOXO

At times I have been vocal critic of LJ on radio as well as behind the relative, metaphoric, safety of a key board.

But having watched and listened to the radio post match, I think our performance today has been a bit under rated. Let me explain. In the first half I can think of several clear cut chances, yes of course we failed to convert them, but we played a much more open game than we have been, which in turn allowed Rotherham a couple of chances on the break.

Both Patterson and Diehdouh might have got a couple and if we had gone in 3/1 up it wouldn't have been flattering. Rotherham were buoyed by the fact they were in it and came out in the second half with more purpose and pressed, however we caught hem on the break twice which led to two sendings off.

Yes it was frustrating watching us toil to score against nine men but a back eight was eventually beaten.

What I get out of today is this.

1 We Won

2 Hitting crosses to a loan striker is a waste if the delivery is not accurate.

3 Quality delivery is key

4 Diehdouh is a better player than many give him credit for, asked to play a no win role

5 The way in which we try and play is counter productive and does not play to our strengths, but keeps us hard to beat.

6 We need a better leader 

7 We need a forward

8 We need a play maker

9 Seven unbeaten

10 We are not out of this, yet!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

At times I have been vocal critic of LJ on radio as well as behind the relative, metaphoric, safety of a key board.

But having watched and listened to the radio post match, I think our performance today has been a bit under rated. Let me explain. In the first half I can think of several clear cut chances, yes of course we failed to convert them, but we played a much more open game than we have been, which in turn allowed Rotherham a couple of chances on the break.

Both Patterson and Diehdouh might have got a couple and if we had gone in 3/1 up and wouldn't have been flattering. Rotherham were buoyed by the fact they were in it and came out in the second half with more purpose and pressed, however we caught hem on the break twice which led to two sendings off.

Yes it was frustrating watching us toil to score against nine men but a back eight was eventually beaten.

1 We Won

4 Diehdouh is a better player than many give him credit for, asked to play a no win role

5 The way in which we try and play is counter productive and does not play to our strengths, but keeps us hard to beat.

7 We need a forward

8 We need a play maker

9 Seven unbeaten

Out of what?

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Out of what?

The right changes/recruitment we can pick up points in the top half. We can be competitive with the top six, we have seen that. 

We need the opposite of the dreadful window of last year~It's a matter of if LJ and MA can deliver it!

Yeah, Dhiedhou should’ve scored with a header early doors, Callum should’ve thrown himself at a zinger of a cross and Patto missed when he should have scored first half. 

It was nowhere near as bad as 

I was expecting having heard the comments from Boxing Day, but it is true that last seasons fast play-it-to-feet stuff has been replaced with lump it to Dhiedhou for some reason. Rotherhams two big centre halves gobbled everything up (except the goal) and at times we seemed to be one dimension short of one-dimensional. But a win is a win, and we go on. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The right changes/recruitment we can pick up points in the top half. We can be competitive with the top six, we have seen that. 

We need the opposite of the dreadful window of last year~It's a matter of if LJ and MA can deliver it!

There ain't gonna be any recruitment, I just heard LJ's interview.

Believe me, or you're gonna be disappointed.

Top 6? Not a chance.

Would love to be coming back apologising in May, but no way will I be

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Both Patterson and Diehdouh might have got a couple and if we had gone in 3/1 up it wouldn't have been flattering. Rotherham were buoyed by the fact they were in it and came out in the second half with more purpose and pressed, however we caught hem on the break twice which led to two sendings off.

1 We Won

7 We need a forward

8 We need a play maker

9 Seven unbeaten

Luckily, we're still in it.

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

Luckily, we're still in it.

Yep. But nevertheless

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Maybe. Why I said changes/recruitment.

However one thing City do well is keep there targets quiet. Hope you are wrong, guess we will see.

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

And therein lies the problem. Unless the dynamic duo conjure up some quality loan signings, we'll continue to potter around mid table until the season's end.

With regard to today's game, it was 85 minutes of teeth grinding tedium until we scored. Rotherham's meltdown saved City where clueless coaching and terrible tactics failed. Thank god. And I'm agnostic.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

We Won

But only just

2 Hitting crosses to a loan striker is a waste if the delivery is not accurate.I

It's not the delivery quality its the lack of numbers in the box and no other options

We need to stop continually playing the ball wide to be cross - often from a seemingly better position - it feels one-dimensional

Completely agree we are lucky to have him

I'm not sure any group of fans could list our strengths - could you name them(apart from a tight defence)?

We just need more creativity - there are leaders on the pitch, I don't want to see players like Bailey Wright brought back (or even Smith) just because they are leaders

7 We need a forward

We spent a large sum on one in the summer and never play him - I think we need to play 2 forwards (from what we have)

8 We need a play maker

Defo but can we actually afford one - why not change the tactics to allow Marlon further forward and more importantly actually use Walsh I think he could fit the bill?

9 Seven unbeaten 

But what crap performances at home - how many people want points at all costs - like Cardiff last season?

But no-one is?

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

And therein lies the problem. Unless the dynamic duo conjure up some quality loan signings, we'll continue to potter around mid table until the season's end.

With regard to today's game, it was 85 minutes of teeth grinding tedium until we scored. Rotherham's meltdown saved City where clueless coaching and terrible tactics failed. Thank god. And I'm agnostic.

We created chances in the first half as Southport says above. IT became tedious as we fail to take those early chances week after week which leaves us trying to stay solid.

I agree as above LJ playing a loan striker and us lumping crap ball in is counter productive, but if we take a couple of chances early the game changes. LJ will and does point to that and that gives him the notion to keep plodding on the same way.   

24 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Don't put yourselves through it the club has no ambition to spend the money SL is more than happy where we are doing what we're doing which is frustrating because we're close but also a million miles from a play off outfit. The squad is massive already but unfortunately full of the same level of player which is where we are. Comfortable mid table nothing more and i certainly don't see that changing any time in the distant future.

8 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

9 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

We Won

But only just...

So we agree. 

2 Hitting crosses to a loan striker is a waste if the delivery is not accurate.I

It's not the delivery quality its the lack of numbers in the box and no other options

The quality was awful. Yes if you are going to have more blokes in there you will get more chances. However the options comment has resonance and why we hit balls in the general direction of Diehdou 

We need to stop continually playing the ball wide to be cross - often from a seemingly better position - it feels one-dimensional

We are largely one dimensional 

Completely agree we are lucky to have him

Yep

I'm not sure any group of fans could list our strengths - could you name them(apart from a tight defence)?

We have a lot of strengths in a large squad, the team however is not picked to those strengths in style or personnel by LJ 

We just need more creativity - there are leaders on the pitch, I don't want to see players like Bailey Wright brought back (or even Smith) just because they are leaders

No there really isn't when we are pushing forward. The leaders are Kalas and Webster which makes us defensively decent. We need a guy demanding the ball and cajoling players. Walsh is the best at this, but LJ would hardly play him and now can't

7 We need a forward

We spent a large sum on one in the summer and never play him - I think we need to play 2 forwards (from what we have)

Agreed. But is he any good or another crap forward? 

8 We need a play maker

Defo but can we actually afford one - why not change the tactics to allow Marlon further forward and more importantly actually use Walsh I think he could fit the bill?

Agreed Pack is to deep to effect the game moving forward, but is horribly slow and sometimes a bit laboured, which is why LJ prefers him deeper. Walsh as above

9 Seven unbeaten 

But what crap performances at home - how many people want points at all costs - like Cardiff last season?

Most I would suggest, however, we haven't been getting the points often enough to justify the way we play. Cardiff could justify it because they did

10 We are not out of this, yet!.....!

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Top 6? Not a chance.

Would love to be coming back apologising in May, but no way will I be

Where did you hear this...........I just listened to an 8 minuit interview on Bristol live, nothing mentioned. What did he actually say, the interviews I've heard before he say we'll try and bring two or three in ?

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Where did you hear this...........I just listened to an 8 minuit interview on Bristol live, nothing mentioned. What did he actually say, the interviews I've heard before he say we'll try and bring two or three in ?

Well, the nature of it...  "Only if they're better than what we got..." well, duh

"we're always looking" all the usual stuff. I just wasn't too convinced there will be anything happening significant

so much fiction in this and other threads tonight - almost as many as Twentytwots phone in with Ian Gay (badly opinionated, same old same old) and the (slightly better)Mark Tovey both giving spurious fiction and statistical lies about a good result. Dont even both listening to it or reading these sad posts;

Consider the facts; Best average crowds since the 70's, best stadium EVER, best facilities and 'off-field' activities EVER, top half of the Championship having already beaten several of those above us, winning again today, improving disciplinary record (taught to tackle properly, unlike Rotherham), just behind big spenders Villa and Forest, 

You dont have to listen to the 'Gay and Tovey' show (they are so down on City,  in Dolman E32 they actually get called by twentytwot and dont even call in!) just read the real fans's reports or go to the games yourself; stonkingly good passing, techniques and the odd goal to celebrate during the day out

The worst miss of the match was probably Weimann near the end. A simple toe poke would have made it 2-0.

Patto's first half header straight to the keeper was also poor.

Thank God our toothless attack is not as toothless as Rotherham's however. 

They were organised and got into good positions but appeared not to be able to hit the proverbial cow's ass with a banjo!

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

On Rotherham's forum, they are lamenting that THEY had some scoring chances which they didn't take.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You don’t think they did ?

Like in the Brentford game, these are conveniently forgotten about.

Only our chances count

Don't dress it up anyone, Rotherham were looking good at the time of the first red. The 2nd one was pure madness on their part.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Like in the Brentford game, these are conveniently forgotten about.

Only our chances count

Don't dress it up anyone, Rotherham were looking good at the time of the first red. The 2nd one was pure madness on their part.

I thought Maenappa was probably our MOM

Flawless tbf 

We came into the game in a positive manner and the crowd reacted to that. The ref made some dodgy decisions which also got the crowd going and I'm certain they should have had a red in the first half too. 

I remember many chances in the first half, plus numerous corners. It was one of our more upbeat performances. Maybe attacking the South Stand in the 1st made a difference?

I honestly thought even with 9 men we was gonna struggle to score. It was a much better game than the Brentford game but one we really should be getting a couple of goals, especially with a two man advantage.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We came into the game in a positive manner and the crowd reacted to that. The ref made some dodgy decisions which also got the crowd going and I'm certain they should have had a red in the first half too. 

I remember many chances in the first half, plus numerous corners. It was one of our more upbeat performances. Maybe attacking the South Stand in the 1st made a difference?

I honestly thought even with 9 men we was gonna struggle to score. It was a much better game than the Brentford game but one we really should be getting a couple of goals, especially with a two man advantage.

Tend to agree but if it stayed at 11 v 11 would there ever have been a goal.  It is purely hypothetical but I believe it had 0 0 written all over it and then helmets on time.   At least it was entertaining  playing 9 men 

23 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Tend to agree but if it stayed at 11 v 11 would there ever have been a goal.  It is purely hypothetical but I believe it had 0 0 written all over it and then helmets on time.   At least it was entertaining  playing 9 men 

Yep I highly doubt we would have got a goal, every away side comes and sits back especially in the 2nd half so instead of 9 men behind the ball we would have faced 11 behind the ball.

We had our fair amount of chances but lacked any real finishing quality.

Archived