IGNORED

Stick or twist in January

barneyrubble

On 30/12/2018 at 13:54, Davefevs said:

I think the point we are making is that we won’t be able to hold onto Kelly for very long, so no point building around him.  Who knows though, Kelly could plateau?

He signed a 4 year contract last June. Why wouldn't we be able to keep hold of him? OK, if a huge offer comes in then great but until that happens surely we build around him?

5 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

He signed a 4 year contract last June. Why wouldn't we be able to keep hold of him? OK, if a huge offer comes in then great but until that happens surely we build around him?

Wages offered by Liverpool (or whoever) might be one.

My concern is that we are still incredibly light in midfield if Pack or Brownhill get injured, with Smith & Walsh still out. It would have only taken the tackle on Brownhill that produced a red card to have been more serious and we would be really struggling.

COD can play in central midfield but after a bright game against Norwich is back to scraping 5/10. Paterson is a powderpuff, who gets into trouble, slows up attacks, doesn't see options, and gives the ball away cheaply. Why he is a "must-play" for LJ, I will never know. Morrell was on the bench on Saturday, so I guess he is the back up, which might be fine, but his inexperience at this level might be an issue.

There are some options out there if we were looking for an experienced midfielder with a good attitude, and maybe possible on loan if wages were an issue, plus we would have to sell them the club and its ambitions. Steven Davis from Southampton or even Andy King from Leicester are ones that come to mind, but I think it really depends on whether SL really wants play offs & even promotion or not. My guess would be that he feels that LJ needs to make better use of what he already has at his disposal.

Up front, Scott Hogan would be a great shout, but I can't see it happening in a January window. Someone small with movement, like Taylor, but who can actually score at this level. Failing that, it would be another punt on a League 1 or 2 striker, which we don't need to do as we already have Eisa.

6 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Refreshing to read this. The fickleness of late has really concerned me. It seems like some of our fans want us promoted yesterday. It has to be one of the toughest leagues in the world to go up from and is (I think) the most lucrative. Top half has to be a success this season after 3 first team, prem standard players (arguably) were sold. 

Stick. Spend some money on coaching if necessary to prepare some of those lads that are having a whale of a time in the lower leagues scoring and assisting for fun.

Surely every fan wants our team to be promoted yesterday/today/tomorrow.

What's wrong with that?

The toughness of any league shouldn't change that desire.

Promotion must always be the prime objective. Otherwise what's the point of it all?

14 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

What's wrong with that?

Promotion must always be the prime objective. Otherwise what's the point of it all?

Agreed, but as long as it feels as though we are developing towards that overall objective, then I’m not too worried about individual results.  But development is about the whole club from top to bottom, not just what is going on on the field.  It has to be a long game - trying to buy instant success will get us nowhere.  

46 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

My concern is that we are still incredibly light in midfield if Pack or Brownhill get injured, with Smith & Walsh still out. It would have only taken the tackle on Brownhill that produced a red card to have been more serious and we would be really struggling.

COD can play in central midfield but after a bright game against Norwich is back to scraping 5/10. Paterson is a powderpuff, who gets into trouble, slows up attacks, doesn't see options, and gives the ball away cheaply. Why he is a "must-play" for LJ, I will never know. Morrell was on the bench on Saturday, so I guess he is the back up, which might be fine, but his inexperience at this level might be an issue.

There are some options out there if we were looking for an experienced midfielder with a good attitude, and maybe possible on loan if wages were an issue, plus we would have to sell them the club and its ambitions. Steven Davis from Southampton or even Andy King from Leicester are ones that come to mind, but I think it really depends on whether SL really wants play offs & even promotion or not. My guess would be that he feels that LJ needs to make better use of what he already has at his disposal.

Up front, Scott Hogan would be a great shout, but I can't see it happening in a January window. Someone small with movement, like Taylor, but who can actually score at this level. Failing that, it would be another punt on a League 1 or 2 striker, which we don't need to do as we already have Eisa.

Good post DB....Davis and King are very sensible shouts...if only on loan.

21 hours ago, spudski said:

As I said Major... inconsistent.

He's shown what he can do, but it's occasionally. 

We need someone doing it week in week out.

As Cowshed alluded to...we are building around him.

When you build around someone that is so inconsistent it isn't going to work.

Stats show that we are energetically wasteful. You can see it with our eyes too.

We get in good positions then waste them.

If we can add a bit of pace & aggression from 'somewhere I think this could lead to us being 'more clinical.

It's all too pedestrian at present.

Answers on a postcard!

37 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

If we can add a bit of pace & aggression from 'somewhere I think this could lead to us being 'more clinical.

It's all too pedestrian at present.

Answers on a postcard!

I think that’s why I had the thought about Taylor instead of Paterson as the extra midfielder / no10, in a 4141 alongside Brownhill. Would inject pace imho, and that pest like quality to stop the likes of Allen dictating the play.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agreed, but as long as it feels as though we are developing towards that overall objective,  Yes , I think most would agree to this.

then I’m not too worried about individual results.  I understand what you're saying here, but I really want to see us trying to win every game. At least have an intent , there have been games it has looked like we are going through the motions.
But development is about the whole club from top to bottom, not just what is going on on the field.  It has to be a long game - trying to buy instant success will get us nowhere.  

Again I agree , Wolves did it one way , we are not in that position. And for sustainability it has to be , not necessarily slow, but steady progress. 

On 30/12/2018 at 20:28, Offside said:

I'm also concerned whether any money made available in Jan will be spent wisely. I stand to be corrected if either were injured,  but yesterday two of our summer signings in Eisa and Watkins weren't selected for the match-day squad. These players cost us a couple of million combined - not much compared to some money being chucked around in our league, but I'd argue quite a lot for a club of our stature, especially if they are rarely used.

Exactly. As well as money wasted on Watkins and Eisa (so far), think 1.5 million for Taylor Moore, 1.6 million for Engvall who was never given a league start, 1.7 million for Hunt who is far from solving our right back issue, 2 million for Weimann who has not delivered. 

Essentially players never get better under LJ, they get ever so slightly worse. And if they weren't good enough for the Championship in the first place, then the money is wasted. 

My major problem with LJ is not that he is a bad manager. He isn't. He's OK. It's that he is hogging the BCFC managerial seat when any number of other available managers would have done an awful amount if they had been allowed to spend that amount of money. With the resources that he has been given, he is underachieving, and someone else could have done a really good job at Bristol City Football Club if they, and not he, had had that 25 million to spend. So I will not be too bothered if we do not sign anybody because any signings are likely to be the same as previous ones; a waste of money. 

7 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

What's wrong with that?

Of course who doesn’t but add in the context I used regarding fickleness and you’ve got impatience, short-termism and a new manager every time we hit a bad patch. 

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agreed, but as long as it feels as though we are developing towards that overall objective, then I’m not too worried about individual results.  But development is about the whole club from top to bottom, not just what is going on on the field.  It has to be a long game - trying to buy instant success will get us nowhere.  

Plus has potential to backfire spectacularly if it doesn't come off...

Archived