IGNORED

Lee Johnson Praise Thread

reddogkev

21 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

You have exactly given him to the end of the season before knocking him though have you? 

I don't really understand the question.

I look at his and the players performance on a match to match basis and if he or they get it wrong I will say so, I have given him to the end of the season to see if at last one of his teams can deliver consistency for a change.

I get the poor performances v results conundrum, of course I do and perhaps tightening performances up is the key to prettier performances further down the road and perhaps our early season form of last season was more of hinderance than help, get a solid foundation before trying to play like Wolves last season?

I am tired of actually saying this, my position on LJ remains exactly the same as when he walked through the door as manager and that is I remain unconvinced, I remain unconvinced about his abilities to deliver consistency, formations, team selections, tactics and certainly signings, time will tell and we know that is the one thing that LJ has at BCFC, whatever any of us might think.

I think posts talking about LJ haters is wrong, I just don't see that (apart from a few) most like myself remain unconvinced.

PS. your emoji attached to my original post on this thread proves something I spoke about earlier in the week, I have tried to debate (something that forums are supposed to be about) in a sensible way, you don't agree so your best response is that, little or no debate>

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’ve been quiet on here!

A lot on, and while watching City as keenly as ever, became bored of the hardline ‘anti’ vs ‘pro’ LJ chat in here constantly (more on that bellow).

I agree wholeheartedly with the finding a style comment.  One thing I think rings true for me is that you can take average players and drill them to be a good defensive unit via hard work and grit, but on the otherside there is a bit more of an ‘X factor’ to the art of scoring.

Often even just one or two players with the type of skill and vision (and sometimes an almost intangible knack) can massively lift an average attacking unit; just look at the vast difference Tammy made here and is again doing at Villa.

The thing is, players who can bring that type of impact are rare, and fitting them into your set up is even rarer - take Lee Tomlin for example; could be a world beater, but difficult to gel him into the side.

I think over the last few windows/years the club has taken a number of punts on potentially impactive players, both on loan and permanently (Tomlin, Engvall, Tammy, Leko, Paterson, Kent, Fammy, Dioney, Woodrow, Eisa, Adelakun, Weimann) hoping for them to be able to lift that area of the team, and with mixed results.

However, we seem to have got a touch more conservative approach this last window, (perhaps burned a little from the high profile flops of Kent and Dioney) with the last few signings made in that area either being lower league ‘potential’ (Eisa and Adelkun) or proven at this level (Weimann), as opposed to youth products from big clubs or from leagues outside the UK.

We’ll see how they play out, but while still punts, they seem a little ‘safer’, and with some of the longer term buys/youth players starting to show promise (thinking VERY long term Reid last year, Eliasson this, and the likes of Jonny Smith and Morrell), it buys these punts a little time.

There seems to have been more focus on making the team sturdy, and while a bit boring and not very exciting, what I hope is the case is that if we get that sorted, then all it takes is for a punt or two to catch fire and we’ll be away.

No arguments it has been a slog at times, but I do feel for the first time in a long time that we have established ourselves a beachhead in this division, and while not exhilarating, that was always essential.

Hopefully a decent and exciting FA Cup run and a season without any real risk of relegation will be in store; we’d have had worse years if that turns out to be the case.

36 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

One of the things I hate most about modern football is the plethora of 'Fast Show Dave' supporters (look him up) for whom everything must be either brilliant or crap, when in reality most of us spend our lives occupying the reality of the middle ground.

100%, and it’s not just in football - the whole ‘awesome/sucks’ thing burns me up, and is for my money a product of social media/voting TV show culture (‘like’/‘dislike’; choose one) - not that I dislike social media but just think it promotes that mentality (TV voting shows ain’t for me, however).

It’s one of the reasons I just don’t engage on here like I used to; the endless “fire LJ; he has been and always will be rubbish” versus “everything is perfect; shut up haters” back-and-forth burns me out.

This thread has been a nice change tbh; no one slitting their wrists, and no one setting off fireworks.

I’m maybe weird but last time we got promoted to this level, my one long-term hope was we managed to establish ourselves in this division, and once seemingly steady away financially, and able to start bringing through youth products able to actively compete for first teams spots (like Kelly has been), then the club could look at the longer term ambitions.

LJ didn’t help himself by saying stuff like “UEFA league in five years” but then he’s alway had a bit of weird way with the media, so better to ignore it.

I’m maybe the exception but I neither hate nor love the man; he’s got us stable in this league just now, which many clubs would love to be, and we’ll see if he can handle more when/if the board decide the time is right to go for more.

For my money; another year of us being upper midtable with perhaps a good cup run and a few youth players coming through and going higher up, and someone ambitious will poach LJ - then we’ll see how we fair (under what I believe will then be Jamie Mac).

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Pretty simple really. You said "wait until the season is over before blowing smoke up his ass" or something along those lines. 

But you haven't given him until the end of the season to knock me, right. 

Ps, what Emoji? 

If you want to be a ******** carry on, it's the emoji that you have since removed.

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Probably the greatest leader since Ho Chi Minh led the North Vietnamese to their stunning victory over the imperialist pig dogs from France at Dien Bien Phu 

Yeah, but whilst solid at home their away form was nothing to shout about.....

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

You haven't exactly given him to the end of the season before knocking him though have you? 

Since when is the truth knocking him... The only fact that we actually know is LJ has won nothing as a manager, his record everywhere is a huge roller coaster ride of long unbeaten streaks and longer winless streaks.

Like it or lump it that is the truth,exactly as EMB has stated, no knocks just saying what it is or are you referring to another post

Around this time last year we were 3rd and knocked Man U out of the cup.........we fell away after that; will we do likewise this season or has LJ learned anything? the end of this transfer window may enlighten things.

Time will tell as they say and this is.... just a moment in time.

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Got to tip my hat to the man, overseeing a fine run of results of now, and getting City to the 4th round of the FA cup, which considering our dreadful record, feels like a minor miracle!

Generally speaking, doing a good job at City.  Long may it continue.

Well done, Lee.

Just so you know, I'm going to revive this thread from time to time, see how many pages of praise it can generate before the season is out!  Hopefully we won't dip into any more worrying runs of form (please God) and we can stay positive!

God you’re boring!!

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

If you want to be a ******** carry on, it's the emoji that you have since removed.

I dunno why you bother....I know I get embroiled in useless spats on here, can’t really be bothered anymore so I’m trying to stop! But I’m glad you called out that plonker on removing his pathetic emoji....he also thinks anyone who is unconvinced by LJ is somehow less knowledgeable than those who jump straight on here to gloat after every victory and claim that everyone else goes ‘quiet’ - which is utter dross and very boring....these threads are just tiresome...

6 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Good results... boring football....

"Awaits his next run of 4 or 5 defeats"

Let's see where we are in May before we sing his praises. 

Wait until May?

That's ridiculous. Do you think it took until May for Man City fans to realise Guardiola was having a good season last year? Of course not.

If you're not going to reflect on the season as a whole throughout the year, what's the point? In that case, you may as well just ignore City until matchday 46 and make your judgement then. That is not the point of football, in my opinion.

Also, if we'd have lost our last 8 games I bet you wouldn't be saying 'wait until May before judging Johnson'!

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

IF we beat Bolton we won’t be far away from the same points total that we were on at the same stage last year, which to me seems incredible considering the superb run we had up to Christmas 2017 and the fact we’d only lost 4 games at that point.

Whilst the football may not be the best to watch at times it’s a results business and to be unbeaten in the last 9 games against the opposition we’ve had in those games, I say well done to LJ and the players. IF we beat Bolton then for me it will start to feel like a second chance after last season when we faded dramatically after Christmas. A couple of clever signings in the next month could be vital but there’s also no doubt that we brought in some good players in the summer and again the club deserve credit for that.

First priority of securing enough points for survival is very close, after that who knows?

Keep it up City.

If we beat Bolton then we'll somewhat surprisingly perhaps be only 6 points worse off than this stage last season- i.e. 27 games. We had 47 from those and a win would take us to 41.

Firstly, well done to Lee, got a nice little unbeaten run going, getting the results so credit where it is due

One thing I have asked before but never seem to get a decent explanation for, is this...

If we are one of the Championship's relative minnows and Lee has us punching above our weight etc etc , he's lost his best players (something talked about a hell of a lot)

Bristol City have no right etc

and all of this could well be true... then WHY this

We are never in any serious danger of losing him if a vacancy comes up.

Shouldn't there be a queue going round the block for a guy like this?

Again, he deserves the praise as the OP states right now, but surely little old Bristol City should be constantly concerned that he could be picked off by one of the bigger players in the Championship. And let's face it, we never are.

Only asking why people think this is.

Note: Stoke City could well need a manager soon

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Probably because he is seen not to be so good to have to pay compensation. If he was out of work then I’m sure somebody would employ him at a top half club

Compensation is peanuts in larger the scheme of things. If a bigger club wants someone, they get him.

LJ has done a good job considering the fiscal limitations he’s having to work under.

As others have said LJ has replaced Flint with Webster and Kallas, both far better footballers than Flint is.

No doubt Kelly will be off this summer which will make things even more difficult next season.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I dunno why you bother....I know I get embroiled in useless spats on here, can’t really be bothered anymore so I’m trying to stop! But I’m glad you called out that plonker on removing his pathetic emoji....he also thinks anyone who is unconvinced by LJ is somehow less knowledgeable than those who jump straight on here to gloat after every victory and claim that everyone else goes ‘quiet’ - which is utter dross and very boring....these threads are just tiresome...

Perhaps us, the ones who are not convince by LJ should just ignore these posters, I know I do most of the time. Oh and by the way,  I did post praising the boys and LJ for the Huddersfield win.

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ has done a good job considering the fiscal limitations he’s having to work under.

As others have said LJ has replaced Flint with Webster and Kallas, both far better footballers than Flint is.

No doubt Kelly will be off this summer which will make things even more difficult next season.

Not if he plans for it properly and has anywhere between £6m-£20m coming into the club, of which he’ll have a percentage to play with to improve the squad.

He knows if Lloyd continues his development he won’t be here for much longer, so I’m sure a head-coach like LJ and management team above him, of which you speak so fondly of will have it all sorted.

I know I am one of the older supporters who comes on here and as I have a proximity that in the main allows me to watch us home and away on TV these days I don't have to stand/sit in the cold watching us to often.

But my tuppence is this. I am a fundamentalist, I always think we can win and don't really much care how we do it!

The issue for a good part of this season was we were horrible to watch and then we would lose and to be frank the thought the manager needed changing was not really a stretch. However now we are grinding out points, have a good run under our belts and a Premier League scalp. 

The issue is going to be are those stay away season ticket holders and POTDers going to come back now we are competitive despite the grinding style we have.

Supporters are fickle and god knows I have waited a long time to see us play at the top level again and I'm not sure I care how we do it.

Congratulations to LJ and his staff for the current run and I'm with him, get the results and the supporters will come....And if they don't that's not his problem that's Steve's! 

LJ and the players have done it well so far. The team is built from defence, right way. We are unbeaten in 9 games and I think we look strong. Maybe not so fun to look at but the points are the mainthing. Think we creates more chances now then a month ago. Our offensive play have been better. Think this team feels more complete than last seasons. Will not be surprised if we soon score many goals in a game. The team now acts like a unit. We can be better and I dont think we are so long from to be a really good team. Bolton game will not be easy, can we win there and take a point or 3 vs Forest, then we really are in the race.

4 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

LJ and the players have done it well so far. The team is built from defence, right way. We are unbeaten in 9 games and I think we look strong. Maybe not so fun to look at but the points are the mainthing. Think we creates more chances now then a month ago. Our offensive play have been better. Think this team feels more complete than last seasons. Will not be surprised if we soon score many goals in a game. The team now acts like a unit. We can be better and I dont think we are so long from to be a really good team. Bolton game will not be easy, can we win there and take a point or 3 vs Forest, then we really are in the race.

Spot on G-S.

It’s not uncommon for a team who are struggling to go back to basics before trying to re-perform.

How many times do we hear a manager say that need to keep a clean sheet, get a couple of 0-0s and then the results will come.

Its not dissimilar to what LJ has done in some respects, we’ve become harder to beat, and within that, players confidence increases and you start winning games late on.

I'm like others on here. Very underwhelmed when he arrived, being up when we go on a point gathering run and seriously concerned when we go on the "11 points from 36" run that appears to occur every season.

I don't hate him, I don't know him personally so how could I? But I'm not sold on his ability to take us where we haven't been since 1979-80. Add to that some of the dullest games I've seen at home for a long time.

So if I upset the total optimists in here, that's tough. Nine games ago, I could foresee us being in the bottom four or five by New Year. Now without setting the world alight, we are not on the slide. Neither are we on a charge to the top.

It's often said that a club is only as good as it's last game. Well ignoring yesterday's FA Cup, what was so scintillating about us scraping a 1-0 win against nine man Rotherham? I'd love to hear how you can make a silk purse out if that Sow's ear of a game.

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm like others on here. Very underwhelmed when he arrived, being up when we go on a point gathering run and seriously concerned when we go on the "11 points from 36" run that appears to occur every season.

I don't hate him, I don't know him personally so how could I? But I'm not sold on his ability to take us where we haven't been since 1979-80. Add to that some of the dullest games I've seen at home for a long time.

So if I upset the total optimists in here, that's tough. Nine games ago, I could foresee us being in the bottom four or five by New Year. Now without setting the world alight, we are not on the slide. Neither are we on a charge to the top.

It's often said that a club is only as good as it's last game. Well ignoring yesterday's FA Cup, what was so scintillating about us scraping a 1-0 win against nine man Rotherham? I'd love to hear how you can make a silk purse out if that Sow's ear of a game.

You also seem to be ignoring the 2-0 defeat of Stoke ... bit strange you would be ignoring City victories.

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Why?  You really are one of the most miserable people who post on here!

A few good results and we get  the LJ love in same as a few bad ones it's the LJ out thread. 

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

The current squad cost almost £30 million, that's more than around two thirds of the other squads in the division, so to say he's operating under financial limitations is incorrect.

I'd say he's doing an average job, but I do think the test will come when the spending stops, which I'd guess it probably has.

1 hour ago, Super said:

A few good results and we get  the LJ love in same as a few bad ones it's the LJ out thread. 

So tiring. Always the same 3 or 4 strokers on each side of things. They know who they are unall.

Archived