IGNORED

9 Games Unbeaten and 'Boring' Football

bcfcredandwhite

I believe that the key to our current run of form is down to our solid defense. Someone posted that we have the second strongest defense in the league after Middlesborough, and this is our strength We soak up the pressure and hit teams on the break - just look at the stats vs Stoke; 35% possession with 2 shots on target compared to Stokes 8.

A lot of credit for this needs to go to Maenpaa - when he first arrived I was a bit 'meh' towards him, but he just keeps on getting better and better - I can't see Frankie getting a look-in now. This, plus Webster, Kalas and Kelly - all solid. Of course it can't happen, but it would be interesting if today's team could play against last year's team - I personally think this years team would come out on top.

The defense can't WIN games though - only guarantee not to lose them - and our attacking players deserve credit too, as they are being clinical - again, using the Stoke game as an example - we scored with our only 2 shots on target!

This style of play attracts some criticism for being 'boring' - a bit 'Italian-esq' soaking up pressure then hitting on the break - but for me its all about the 3 points. Yes, ideally we would see attacking 'Brazil' football and win anyway, but I don't mind defensive football if it gets results.

As time goes on, I think we are going to see opposition teams concentrate far more on set pieces and 'direct' long-ball tactics to try and break us down - as they will find it very difficult to try and play through us - we are just too solid in open play. If i were an opposition manager - especially in the lower half of the league (Bolton?) fighting for their lives, I would try and lump balls into the box for a big man to get onto the end of - try and keep the ball in the air as much as possible and 'spoil' our game.

Exciting times in my opinion and I am looking forward to my next trip to the Gate - for the Swansea game - in the meantime I'll have to be content with Sky Sports News and the occasional 'dodgy' stream :)

There is a lot of criticism about our play being "boring", and it isn't as entertaining as some games last season, but if I offered any City fan a chance to play a more boring style of play and go 9 unbeaten or to play our open expansive football and lose more regularly than we do now, I think i know what the answer will be. Its a bonus to be entertained with beautiful football, but right now id take 3 points over that and climb towards the play offs.

17 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I believe that the key to our current run of form is down to our solid defense. Someone posted that we have the second strongest defense in the league after Middlesborough, and this is our strength We soak up the pressure and hit teams on the break - just look at the stats vs Stoke; 35% possession with 2 shots on target compared to Stokes 8.

A lot of credit for this needs to go to Maenpaa - when he first arrived I was a bit 'meh' towards him, but he just keeps on getting better and better - I can't see Frankie getting a look-in now. This, plus Webster, Kalas and Kelly - all solid. Of course it can't happen, but it would be interesting if today's team could play against last year's team - I personally think this years team would come out on top.

The defense can't WIN games though - only guarantee not to lose them - and our attacking players deserve credit too, as they are being clinical - again, using the Stoke game as an example - we scored with our only 2 shots on target!

This style of play attracts some criticism for being 'boring' - a bit 'Italian-esq' soaking up pressure then hitting on the break - but for me its all about the 3 points. Yes, ideally we would see attacking 'Brazil' football and win anyway, but I don't mind defensive football if it gets results.

As time goes on, I think we are going to see opposition teams concentrate far more on set pieces and 'direct' long-ball tactics to try and break us down - as they will find it very difficult to try and play through us - we are just too solid in open play. If i were an opposition manager - especially in the lower half of the league (Bolton?) fighting for their lives, I would try and lump balls into the box for a big man to get onto the end of - try and keep the ball in the air as much as possible and 'spoil' our game.

Exciting times in my opinion and I am looking forward to my next trip to the Gate - for the Swansea game - in the meantime I'll have to be content with Sky Sports News and the occasional 'dodgy' stream :)

Don't think it's been all boring- we had good possession at Birmingham, we were quite sharp v Norwich. Brentford at home though not great was about expected v a side whose League position is belied by some of their players and yeah we matched them for possession. We have been dogged too at times though, undoubtedly- Stoke, at times v Birmingham.

You talk about us being clinical- now we are somewhat and have been yes, but all through the season in the season? Not so much, more of a mixed picture- hit woodwork 14 to 15 times albeit these are not classed as shots on target- but however you class it, it is far from clinical either!

We at home though are finding or perhaps will find similar problems to sides like Stoke and Birmingham- these sides and especially Birmingham are reactive ones. Better suited on the road in some respects, especially Birmingham- similar seems to be happening for us right now. Except Birmingham play this way at home too and a lot of sides take the bait. Stoke under Rowett is more complex because while he is quite a reactive manager by nature, style, his side has players who are not so suited and their current system is a bit of a mish-mash.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think it's been all boring- we had good possession at Birmingham, we were quite sharp v Norwich. Brentford at home though not great was about expected v a side whose League position is belied by some of their players and yeah we matched them for possession. We have been dogged too at times though, undoubtedly- Stoke, at times v Birmingham.

You talk about us being clinical- now we are somewhat and have been yes, but all through the season in the season? Not so much, more of a mixed picture- hit woodwork 14 to 15 times albeit these are not classed as shots on target- but however you class it, it is far from clinical either!

We at home though are finding or perhaps will find similar problems to sides like Stoke and Birmingham- these sides are reactive ones. Better suited on the road, especially Birmingham- similar seems to be happening for us right now.

All good points Mr P - perhaps I should have quantified my statements by saying we have been clinical of late.....

The home form is an interesting one - earlier in the season I would have put our 'indifferent' performances down to lack of confidence - in front of an impatient home crowd who are expecting nothing less than all-out attack and lots of goals.  Now however, I'm not so sure - and we have won the last 2 home games anyway, so maybe our home form has picked up??

Really interesting post, @bcfcredandwhite.

There is a big change from the high press - the all out attack football which was such a joy to watch last season. It is definitely a lot less exciting but what Lee learned from that was that it's just unsustainable. A team/squad of players which LJ has is just not capable of carrying it through an entire season. Much was made of his poor Jan 2018 window but this was, imo, a bit of a red herring and that wasn't the problem.

What I think we are seeing is a young Manager who is still learning and adapting which is incredibly encouraging. We have a good squad but not a great one and Lee is using it realistically which has resulted in a 9 game unbeaten run which appears to be lost on many on here as it's rarely been exciting. For some the only acceptable progress for any team managed by Lee Johnson is to challenge at the top whilst playing like Brazil and even then he'd still annoy @Fordy.

The defence based football may finally prevent those horribly predictable losing runs which blight Lee's career and I think we're more than just a good striker away from a promotion team but ,imo, we're seeing the progression required to challenge before too long.

45 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The home form is an interesting one - earlier in the season I would have put our 'indifferent' performances down to lack of confidence - in front of an impatient home crowd who are expecting nothing less than all-out attack and lots of goals.  Now however, I'm not so sure - and we have won the last 2 home games anyway, so maybe our home form has picked up??

LJ said in one of his recent interviews that’s it’s often more difficult to play at AG. 

The onus is on City to play on the front foot, often against teams that have come to park the bus . There’s an expectant home crowd.....who as we all know can turn pretty quickly...

Add to that the risk of getting caught on the break and setting up to counter both can’t be an easy task for any manager, let alone LJ.

City when playing away can and do hit the home team on the break so it simply shows how difficult it can be playing at home.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Spot on, if you take a scale of 1-4 as follows:

1: Winning and Entertaining Football

2: Winning but Boring Football

3: Losing but Entertaining Football

4: Losing and Boring Football

The holy grail is Option 1, and if you can’t have that then the next best is obviously Option 2.  

You never want Options 3 or 4, although that’s where we were on the run of losses.

The change from last season is Teams need to come at us to get a goal and have to work hard to get it, they can’t sit back like they may have done last season and let us knock it about until we make a mistake, as we now sit back as well and wait for the opposition to make an error, very Italian in principal, not very entertaining, but more effective then playing great football and losing!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We at home though are finding or perhaps will find similar problems to sides like Stoke and Birmingham- these sides and especially Birmingham are reactive ones. Better suited on the road in some respects, especially Birmingham- similar seems to be happening for us right now. Except Birmingham play this way at home too and a lot of sides take the bait. Stoke under Rowett is more complex because while he is quite a reactive manager by nature, style, his side has players who are not so suited and their current system is a bit of a mish-mash.

Our best football has come against Norwich and Derby, two teams who wanted to play their own game and didn't just try to stop us. We need to move the ball quicker against the other type of teams that just try to stop us playing. 
We also need to be persistent with our play, we seem to start games brightly and then lose confidence in ourselves and let teams back into games, I have mentioned this before and I feel it is something we have done for many years now. Having said that, I also think we have been close to getting back to the way were before xmas last year, often we have been inches away from the right pass, shot etc getting through, it's the difference between everything clicking.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really interesting post, @bcfcredandwhite.

There is a big change from the high press - the all out attack football which was such a joy to watch last season. It is definitely a lot less exciting but what Lee learned from that was that it's just unsustainable. A team/squad of players which LJ has is just not capable of carrying it through an entire season. Much was made of his poor Jan 2018 window but this was, imo, a bit of a red herring and that wasn't the problem.

What I think we are seeing is a young Manager who is still learning and adapting which is incredibly encouraging. We have a good squad but not a great one and Lee is using it realistically which has resulted in a 9 game unbeaten run which appears to be lost on many on here as it's rarely been exciting. For some the only acceptable progress for any team managed by Lee Johnson is to challenge at the top whilst playing like Brazil and even then he'd still annoy @Fordy.

The defence based football may finally prevent those horribly predictable losing runs which blight Lee's career and I think we're more than just a good striker away from a promotion team but ,imo, we're seeing the progression required to challenge before too long.

Teams do press season long. And some do it far more aggressively than Bristol City did las season. There is not such a change from last seasons high press because it basically ceased from Feb onwards … With the recruitments and the return of Famara none of whom added defensive pressing intensity. 

Expectations are created by Lee Johnson. He makes wordy statements regarding identity, projects, dna .. And fans of course will take them literally.  It would be a little odd if the view was that nothing coming out of his mouth should be taken seriously.

Bristol City did for a period show what it could be under Lee Johnson … Progress does not have to be boring. I doubt if Lee Johnsons real intent actually is to be either.

The football is not particularly defenced based as the team certainly does not sit deep consistently looking to counter attack. The successful recruitment of Maenpaa, Kalas, Webster provides a footballing base to progress to more expansive football. 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Agree. I for one don’t find watching Adam Webster’s excellent performances boring.

I agree with a lot on here. The issue was grinding football and still not picking up points, now we do!

I read a dozen posts telling me football was entertainment a few weeks ago...IMO football is first and foremost a sport and the point of any sport is to win. The fact that most of us choose sport/football as entertainment does not change the fact its about winning. The point is, I as most on this thread seem, want to win first and play exhilarating attacking football second, ask Danny Wilson how that can work out!!

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ said in one of his recent interviews that’s it’s often more difficult to play at AG. 

The onus is on City to play on the front foot, often against teams that have come to park the bus . There’s an expectant home crowd.....who as we all know can turn pretty quickly...

I’m hoping we can have a sensible conversation about this Rob....I disagree that our crowd can ‘turn pretty quickly’ - I’ve mentioned it on here before but I really don’t think we give managers and players a hard time at Bristol City - I’ve read of ‘toxic’ atmospheres etc but they simply don’t happen at Ashton Gate - go and experience disgruntled home fans at Newcastle United, West Ham United, Blackpool, Man City (20 years ago), Everton or over in Italy and you’ll really see home crowds that can ‘turn pretty quickly.’

I really think that owners, directors, managers and players have a relatively easy ride at Ashton Gate....Bristolians are notoriously laid back and pretty relaxed and give the impression they can’t really be bothered to do much more than boo quite quietly at certain times. We certainly do not create ‘toxic’ atmospheres....we live in a fantastic city and just get a bit disgruntled when our team lets us down....

You’re right about most City fans, whether they’re Bristolians or not are generally a laid back bunch but there are times when AG does become hostile but often towards a particular player. 

Bailley Wright last season had mare at LB and the crowd got onto him and he got subbed. Before him Fontaine got stick every time he misplaced a pass.....

Compared to Italy......well.....there is no comparison....................:facepalm:

One way of the crowd expressing its displeasure is by being quiet......and I’m sure LJ is aware of that having experienced it as a player and why he tries to gee up the crowd.

The way to gee up the crowd is by playing some exciting stuff......

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I agree with a lot on here. The issue was grinding football and still not picking up points, now we do!

I read a dozen posts telling me football was entertainment a few weeks ago...IMO football is first and foremost a sport and the point of any sport is to win. The fact that most of us choose sport/football as entertainment does not change the fact its about winning. The point is, I as most on this thread seem, want to win first and play exhilarating attacking football second, ask Danny Wilson how that can work out!!

Football is entertainment. Forty five years ago I went to football because I found the noise and everything around it exciting. If it was really about winning I would not have carried on watching City.

15 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Football is entertainment. Forty five years ago I went to football because I found the noise and everything around it exciting. If it was really about winning I would not have carried on watching City.

Football is sport! You choose it to be entertainment! Which is what I said. You carried on watching City because you were hooked. Have you once in your life wished we didn't win under any circumstances? The fact for the last 40 years we have not been very good at it when it mattered is irrelevant!

14 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Football is sport! You choose it to be entertainment! Which is what I said. You carried on watching City because you were hooked. Have you once in your life wished we didn't win under any circumstances? The fact for the last 40 years we have not been very good at it when it mattered is irrelevant!

No it is entertainment. That is why I go. I found City in the fourth still entertaining so I still attended unlike when Osman was in charge.

Have you once in your life wished we didn't win under any circumstances? Yes when Osman scored like thousands of others who booed him for it or the thousands who stayed away and I also joined. 

I agree with Trueredsupporter. Football is a form of entertainment.  When I attend I expect to be entertained, and I hope we win. 

There will be many views on why each fan attends games, but it's their opinion and their reasons.   My opinion is, I have been bored to death at many home games, and as I've said previous, it's probably my fault for not being easily pleased.

Others will forgo entertainment for results. Fair enough, it's their view. But, for me, entertainment is very important.

For me grinding out results, although preferable to losing, doesn’t scream ambition.   It scream’s survival.

As well and good our league position is it doesn’t strike me we’d ever set the Prem on fire.  

First half of last season yes, maybe,  this season not so much.

13 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

There is a lot of criticism about our play being "boring", and it isn't as entertaining as some games last season, but if I offered any City fan a chance to play a more boring style of play and go 9 unbeaten or to play our open expansive football and lose more regularly than we do now, I think i know what the answer will be. Its a bonus to be entertained with beautiful football, but right now id take 3 points over that and climb towards the play offs.

Without wishing to turn this thread into another Johnson in / out thread, I sometimes wonder if this mounting criticism about our 'boring' brand of football is simply (consciously or even sub-consciously) just an easy-to-hand tool with which to barrack him. Last year, we were entertaining but lost our winning ways - people wanted him out. This year, we've cut the entertainment  factor but have swapped it for points -  even so, the same people want him out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

And with all due respect, anyone who pipes up and says they'd rather see us lose but entertain is lying through their teeth - you only have to remember the backlash on here after the 5-5 match last season. 

I'm a hopeless football romantic, and I'd love to see us field a cavalier team that would romp home 4-2 week in, week out. But this is X-Box / Football Manager stuff that has little basis in reality. Take the bloody wins and be happy! There are literally dozens upon dozens of teams world-wide that have far greater resources than ours that can't find the secret between hell-for-leather football and winning. Why do they expect us to? Somewhere along the line, several people need to take a serious reality check. 

2 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Agree! Completely! But... as you say, the excitement was the noise, the crowd, the whole match day experience. It was never the football for me, it was the other stuff around it. When I caught the City bug I was under no impression we would ever be big. I was under no impression we'd ever win things. I've always assumed we wouldn't, and that's made the occasional highs all the higher. The problem we have now is that the match day experience is increasingly diluted. Football has been repackaged as a product, and the match day thrill is dying / has died as a result. That's made things that happen on the pitch assume a greater importance. 

But on the pitch, are we really that boring? Remembering some of the diabolical football served up by the likes of Osman and Pulis (even Joe Jordan's second stint was pretty damn dull) I would strongly disagree. 

Some of my favourite seasons following City round the country were during the short reigns of Dennis Smith and Benny, but are we genuinely advocating we return to the days when we were battling relegation and shipping goals by the fistful? I will reference my post above: how many people on here that are demanding to be entertained were livid after the 5-5 match last year? I might be wrong, but I don't remember many people being happy. 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Without wishing to turn this thread into another Johnson in / out thread, I sometimes wonder if this mounting criticism about our 'boring' brand of football is simply (consciously or even sub-consciously) just an easy-to-hand tool with which to barrack him. Last year, we were entertaining but lost our winning ways - people wanted him out. This year, we've cut the entertainment  factor but have swapped it for points -  even so, the same people want him out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

And with all due respect, anyone who pipes up and says they'd rather see us lose but entertain is lying through their teeth - you only have to remember the backlash on here after the 5-5 match last season. 

I'm a hopeless football romantic, and I'd love to see us field a cavalier team that would romp home 4-2 week in, week out. But this is X-Box / Football Manager stuff that has little basis in reality. Take the bloody wins and be happy! There are literally dozens upon dozens of teams world-wide that have far greater resources than ours that can't find the secret between hell-for-leather football and winning. Why do they expect us to? Somewhere along the line, several people need to take a serious reality check. 

A rare case where I agree with what you've said.

There is absolutely a "damned if you do..."  situation here.

One thing I'd say is we know it is possible for these players to play attractive football and get a result. However, it was shown last season we cannot sustain it the entire 46 games.

There's been bits of flashy play during games, we were doing backheels and flicks for intricate passes inside our own half at times at 0-0 vs Huddersfield, but we're less gung-ho in the attacking sense and building on a basis of solidity.

Less exciting, but probably more likely to yield longer term consistency.

As it is now we are outsiders to reach a playoff spot, 5 points to catch with so many games left is by no means beyond us, but even I think it is unlikely we will do it (at this point in time), and consistency with good results is more important than flair with inconsistency.

6 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Football is entertainment. If we play what is an invasion game we generally do it because we enjoy it. Its particularly evident in children that playing for kids is not about winning. My bog standard FA entry level coaching informed me running around, playing with friends, and getting dirty were the most popular reasons for playing football. As an adult I played football because it was highly entertaining. Coaching ditto .. I enjoy it.

Fandom for me is the same. I would avoid doing anything in my life as time consuming and at times extravagantly expensive if it did not entertain me. 

5 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Agree! Completely! But... as you say, the excitement was the noise, the crowd, the whole match day experience. It was never the football for me, it was the other stuff around it. When I caught the City bug I was under no impression we would ever be big. I was under no impression we'd ever win things. I've always assumed we wouldn't, and that's made the occasional highs all the higher. The problem we have now is that the match day experience is increasingly diluted. Football has been repackaged as a product, and the match day thrill is dying / has died as a result. That's made things that happen on the pitch assume a greater importance. 

But on the pitch, are we really that boring? Remembering some of the diabolical football served up by the likes of Osman and Pulis (even Joe Jordan's second stint was pretty damn dull) I would strongly disagree. 

Some of my favourite seasons following City round the country were during the short reigns of Dennis Smith and Benny, but are we genuinely advocating we return to the days when we were battling relegation and shipping goals by the fistful? I will reference my post above: how many people on here that are demanding to be entertained were livid after the 5-5 match last year? I might be wrong, but I don't remember many people being happy. 

Our football is no more or no less boring than any other team. As you say...the football experience is bland compared to the past.

But isn't everything pretty much now? 

What's new?

I often say to my father that I wish I was born when he was...to have lived through the generations from the 40's...seen so much...like no other generation. Everything constantly changing and reinvented.

Now it's just...meh!

Nearly everything is the same. Stuff rehashed under a different wrapping.

Sport, music, food, drink, cars, housing, clothing, shops, entertainment...etc, etc, etc...

Without wanting to sound doom and gloom...what's new that really excites us? 

Not much out there going on...new forms of technology if that floats your boat...

But there isn't much going on that hasn't already been done.

Football imo...is just a reflection of the world we live in...making money, conforming, in a 'safe' and bland environment.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Our football is no more or no less boring than any other team. As you say...the football experience is bland compared to the past.

But isn't everything pretty much now? 

What's new?

I often say to my father that I wish I was born when he was...to have lived through the generations from the 40's...seen so much...like no other generation. Everything constantly changing and reinvented.

Now it's just...meh!

Nearly everything is the same. Stuff rehashed under a different wrapping.

Sport, music, food, drink, cars, housing, clothing, shops, entertainment...etc, etc, etc...

Without wanting to sound doom and gloom...what's new that really excites us? 

Not much out there going on...new forms of technology if that floats your boat...

But there isn't much going on that hasn't already been done.

Football imo...is just a reflection of the world we live in...making money, conforming, in a 'safe' and bland environment.

Would you like a hug? 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

A kick up the backside is more appropriate for someone my age... I'll leave hugs for the millennials ???

It could be that you have SAD - seasonal adjusted disorder.  It’s common enough.

A few days somewhere in the sun will cheer you up.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It could be that you have SAD - seasonal adjusted disorder.  It’s common enough.

A few days somewhere in the sun will cheer you up.

Indeed I do suffer from that Robbo...badly. I was fine in the snow and sun...here I get it bad. Need a light box in my life.

However...I still stand by my thoughts, even if I were lying on a beach sipping cocktails in the sun ??

Archived